PDA

View Full Version : How many here

stevieray
03-23-2006, 07:36 PM
...are afraid of speaking in public...or in front of large groups of people?

isn't this supposed to be one of the biggest fears?

JBucc
03-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Not so much. I remember the first time I had to give a speech in front of the class in Jr. High. I was kind of suprised I wasn't really all that nervous since I was kind of the quiet type.

Dunit35
03-23-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm the quiet type unless I'm drunk, then I talk up a storm. I haven't had to speak in public or in front of a large group, but doing that is a big fear of mine.

Luzap
03-23-2006, 07:41 PM
I guess most people don't like it.

That's how I make my living.

Luz
i enjoy it...

jAZ
03-23-2006, 07:50 PM
Depends... if I am able to just "wing it"... and I don't have either a script or a specific set of points that I have to be sure to get to... then I can be very comfortable.

I get nervous, but not a fear.

The more I know the subejct the easier it is...

If I'm unprepared and I'm expected to speak to some script or points... you'll see it.

Count Zarth
03-23-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm pretty comfortable with it since I started doing it when I was 10. One of the few advantages of being a Jehovah's Witness.

DaKCMan AP
I enjoy it. I spoke in front of 1,000+ people at graduation, speak weekly in front of 100 people at organization meetings and also to visiting groups of middle/high school students every now and then who come for the Gator Engineering Outreach program among other things.

Saulbadguy
I actually prefer it. I'm terrible talking with someone one on one.

sedated
03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm cool ONLY if I make a joke right away.

Once everyone laughs I feel right at home.

Silence bothers me.

KC_John
03-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Im not good in large groups of people..I would begin stuttering and get real nervous. So count me in as one with that fear :rolleyes:

Skip Towne
03-23-2006, 08:05 PM
I suspected you'd like it. You like to talk.

Saulbadguy
I suspected you'd like it. You like to talk.
I'm fairly shy in person. Unless i'm drunk.

Iowanian
I have spoken in front of groups quite a bit. It goes with the territory of my profession.

sometimes, I do find myself a little nervous, but once I get going I'm fine. I'm comfortable that I know what I'm talking about, present it in a way they're going to understand for the most part.

Get that first laugh early....don't use more big words than I need or have to, target my audience, and its all good.

Frazod
03-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I hate crowds if I'm in a crowd. But speaking in front of a crowd has never bothered me.

Does that make any sense? :hmmm:

sedated
03-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm fairly shy in person. Unless i'm drunk.

I used to get drunk before my speech class at KU.

sedated
03-23-2006, 08:08 PM
I hate crowds if I'm in a crowd. But speaking in front of a crowd has never bothered me.

your not a sheep, you're a shephard.

Chan93lx50
03-23-2006, 08:14 PM
I hate it for the first min or so I have the quivering voice and a lip that will twitch which makes even more nervous, but after a couple mins go by I am better.

But I still dread doing it, it is what I would say my main weakness is!

Frazod
03-23-2006, 08:16 PM
your not a sheep, you're a shephard.

That can't be it - I hate the sheep. :evil:

seclark
03-23-2006, 08:16 PM
it is very hard for me to speak in public, or in front of a large crowd.
i do however enjoy farting in crowded elevators.
sec

JBucc
03-23-2006, 08:17 PM
That can't be it - I hate the sheep. :evil:You're a butcher?

Frazod
You're a butcher?

In a perfect world.... :)

Bwana

Yep, I'm the exact same way. I hate being in a mall around Christmas with a shit load of people for example, but if they wre all sitting down, not a problem giving them a talk.

|Zach|
03-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Always been good at it. Don't know why.

C-Mac
03-23-2006, 08:49 PM
That can't be it - I hate the sheep. :evil:
Well good, then you should appreciate this.....
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/news/weird_news/13873101.htm
Michigan man sentenced in sheep abuse case
Associated Press
BATTLE CREEK, Mich. - A man who pleaded no contest to a sodomy charge involving a sheep says he should not have to register as a sex offender.
Jeffrey S. Haynes said the state registry is intended to keep track of people who have committed crimes against humans.
But Calhoun County Circuit Court Judge Conrad Sindt told Haynes at his sentencing hearing that once he is released from prison, he must register with the Michigan State Police Public Sex Offender Registry.
Haynes, 42, of Battle Creek, was sentenced Monday to 2 1/2 years to 20 years in prison. He entered the plea in January. A no contest plea is not an admission of guilt but is treated as such for sentencing purposes.
Tamara Towns, an assistant prosecutor for the county, argued that Haynes should be ordered to register as a sex offender because once out of prison, he could prey on children or vulnerable adults.
Haynes said he is not a violent person and would not assault children.
"The prosecutor is being real hard on me for what I did," he said. "But I should not be treated as a child molester."
A telephone call seeking comment was left Tuesday at the Marshall office of defense attorney John B. Sullivan.
Police said Haynes had sex with a sheep at a Bedford Township farm on Jan. 26, 2005. The animal's owner caught him on the property and the sheep was found injured.
Haynes was arrested in June after a DNA sample taken from the animal matched Haynes' genetic material.
Haynes has prior convictions for burglary, home invasion and uttering and publishing, and was on parole for burglary at the time of the sex crime.

Katipan
03-23-2006, 08:53 PM
I have no problem being funny or outrageous in front of a crowd, but I'd rather be shot than exhibit any other kind of emotion.

Count Zarth
03-23-2006, 09:11 PM
I have no problem being funny or outrageous in front of a crowd, but I'd rather be shot than exhibit any other kind of emotion.

You really are perfect for Brian.

tommykat
03-23-2006, 09:18 PM
I tried out for everything in high school.......never made cheerleader etc for fear of trying to be in front of people..Then I started doing hair.....I sweeted freaking bullets trying to talk with people. It was horrid of the fear that I felt. But 29 years later I am sure that most people would say "shut up already" :D Also one place I could speak in front of people and was never afraid was Church. Go figure, scared to death of talking in front of people and I could do it there with no problem...<thought you would enjoy that one Mike. ;)

Reaper16
03-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Nah, as a stage actor, that doesn't really affect me. Sure, there is a deal of nervousness before the show starts, but then it all melts away.

morphius
03-23-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm sure it will shock everyone to know that I am.

Well, except for those who have me on ignore...

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 09:33 PM

I can say I definately understand.

I get claustrophobic in large crowds and start wanting an exit - usually when they start getting rude and bumping and shoving.

I used to be petrified of speaking in public. Now I am still nervous when I start, but the bigger the crowd, the more energy I seem to have.

milkman
03-23-2006, 09:35 PM
I've never had to get up in front of a crowd to speak, so I've never really thought about how I would feel about it.

But I would guess that it wouldn't bother me, because I've never really cared all that much what people think of me.

Ultra Peanut
03-23-2006, 09:37 PM
The moral of the story: Don't. Over-mix. Your. Muffins.

|Zach|
03-23-2006, 09:38 PM
I've never had to get up in front of a crowd to speak,
Really? Thats amazing.

KS Smitty
03-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I have found that while I am nervous before getting up there when I'm there it goes away. It's usually not the size of the audience, it's the occasion. I find myself more at ease at seminars, conferences etc than I do at funerals, remembrances etc although the appreciation is much greater at the latter.

Simplex3
03-23-2006, 10:14 PM
I'm pretty comfortable with it since I started doing it when I was 10. One of the few advantages of being a Jehovah's Witness.
You can also become a serial killer and/or rapist and nobody will wonder why.

BIG K
03-23-2006, 10:14 PM
...are afraid of speaking in public...or in front of large groups of people?

isn't this supposed to be one of the biggest fears?

Actually speaking in 'public' is one of my strong points. Did it for 10 years. Speaking on the 'net' however, will lead to my downfall....

Did I ever mention that I hate computers? :banghead:

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 10:15 PM
I have found that while I am nervous before getting up there when I'm there it goes away. It's usually not the size of the audience, it's the occasion. I find myself more at ease at seminars, conferences etc than I do at funerals, remembrances etc although the appreciation is much greater at the latter.

Funerals are the easiest for me. You have to REALLY mess up before anyone will notice or remember.

Weddings on the other hand, EVERY MINISCULE MISTAKE is heard, seen, and caught on 15 different cameras featuring all kinds of video and phote technologies, for eternity (or as long as the marriage lasts).

Simplex3
03-23-2006, 10:15 PM
Try deoderant. That will make the other person more comfortable.

Simplex3
03-23-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm cool ONLY if I make a joke right away.

Once everyone laughs I feel right at home.
That wasn't the joke they were laughing at.

Simplex3
03-23-2006, 10:17 PM

I'm with you there. I can't sleep in hotels worth a piss because I know I'm surrounded by morons.

Simplex3
03-23-2006, 10:21 PM
It's usually not the size of the audience, it's the occasion.
I spoke at my grandfather's funeral. That was the worst time I've ever had with a speech and that one went just fine.

Mosbonian
03-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Before I got to High School I was very quiet and shy....but once i got to High School there was a girl I wanted to impress so I volunteered to give a speech in front of class.

I haven't shut up since....I lecture as part of my job all the time. I speak to crowds large and small and I always do it mostly "off the cuff" with just small outlines to support my train of thought.

mmaddog

KS Smitty
03-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Funerals are the easiest for me. You have to REALLY mess up before anyone will notice or remember.

Weddings on the other hand, EVERY MINISCULE MISTAKE is heard, seen, and caught on 15 different cameras featuring all kinds of video and phote technologies, for eternity (or as long as the marriage lasts).

Unfortately (for you), I have heard more complaints about the Clergy at funerals than I have ever heard from any other clerical event. :eek: Although I'm sure it's due to the fact the pastor etc. didn't get to "know" the family prior to the "event". (sorry on a quote click tonight)

Simplex3
03-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Unfortately (for you), I have heard more complaints about the Clergy at funerals than I have ever heard from any other clerical event. :eek: Although I'm sure it's due to the fact the pastor etc. didn't get to "know" the family prior to the "event". (sorry on a quote click tonight)
Like the jackass that spent my uncle's entire funeral pronouncing his last name incorrectly? That was really nice.

KS Smitty
03-23-2006, 10:29 PM
I spoke at my grandfather's funeral. That was the worst time I've ever had with a speech and that one went just fine.

My hubby's brother died unexpectedly and the pastor asked him, his sister, her husband and me to give a eulogy...it was one of the hardest things we had ever done but also one that gave us great joy in doing. Since then I have always made an attempt to speak at someones passing by whoever is officiating. I hate those long silences when they ask for peoples thoughts.

Bob Dole
03-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Can someone define "public"?

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 10:36 PM

Oh, I wouldn't doubt it. Funerals, from the clergy's standpoint, isn't what's said, but rather, being there for the families all the way through the time of loss.

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Like the jackass that spent my uncle's entire funeral pronouncing his last name incorrectly? That was really nice.

Yeah, ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS, did I say ALWAYS triple check ALL names in the obituary to make sure you say them right.

KS Smitty
03-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Oh, I wouldn't doubt it. Funerals, from the clergy's standpoint, isn't what's said, but rather, being there for the families all the way through the time of loss.

As it should be. It just seems that many don't think of a need for the clergy until [whoever] is gone. It's kinda sad really. Thank you for all you do Mike!

Simplex3
03-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah, ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS, did I say ALWAYS triple check ALL names in the obituary to make sure you say them right.
You could tell this guy was mailing it in. He was a church elder in some nutcase church my cousin was in. There were three of them up there, two of them spent the entire time yawning. The one that kept butchering the last name was even worse because the other two were saying it right and he was paying so little attention he didn't even catch on.

PastorMikH
03-23-2006, 10:51 PM
You could tell this guy was mailing it in. He was a church elder in some nutcase church my cousin was in. There were three of them up there, two of them spent the entire time yawning. The one that kept butchering the last name was even worse because the other two were saying it right and he was paying so little attention he didn't even catch on.

I took part in a funeral for a lady in our church. She and her husband had 2 ministers that they were really close to from past churches. One of them was the one "IN CHARGE". He was old, pastored some big churches, and really condenscending towards me - the young pastor of a small church. We are up on the platform with 500+ people in the service and he CHOKES BIG TIME. He lost complete track of the service and had no idea what to do when. Since all the people who had parts in the service (other than the 2 other ministers) were from my church, I started directing with hand signs and pulled it all back together. The old coot had a completely different attitude towards me after the service.:)