PDA

View Full Version : This is a Phishing link... so don't click it!

jAZ
03-23-2006, 09:14 PM
This is a Phishing link... so don't click it!

It's from junkmail that I got.. But I have a question.

How exactly does this work?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=dict&q=http://3251479316:82/abuse/index.php (http://don't click on it dummy!!!)

1) How does the google domain work? I mean I understand that they use a familiar site to mask their crazy domain, but is this a whole in the google site, or what? If so, I'm guessing from their view, it's a necessary evil... so what is this functionality intended to be used for normally?

2) How does the domainname work? Is there such a domain? Hell that's not even a valid IP address is it? I understand that :82 is a port, but what's that other 10-digit number?

Simplex3
03-23-2006, 11:09 PM
No, they're using the fact that search engine links don't actually link to the real site. A link in google or yahoo actually sends you to a ref counter AT google or yahoo which then in turn sends you on your way to the site. Basically these guys are bypassing the first step and using google to route you to them.

Very nice of google's POS ref counter to not notice you didn't get there from them. I've said it before and I'll say it again here: Google is dangerous. Even more so than Microsoft.

Lzen
03-26-2006, 09:01 AM
No, they're using the fact that search engine links don't actually link to the real site. A link in google or yahoo actually sends you to a ref counter AT google or yahoo which then in turn sends you on your way to the site. Basically these guys are bypassing the first step and using google to route you to them.

Very nice of google's POS ref counter to not notice you didn't get there from them. I've said it before and I'll say it again here: Google is dangerous. Even more so than Microsoft.

No kidding, Simplex? You seem like a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to computer related things. I'm guessing that you work in some computer related field. Am I right? So, if Google is dangerous, which one is a better choice? Yahoo?

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 09:08 AM
No kidding, Simplex? You seem like a pretty knowledgeable person when it comes to computer related things. I'm guessing that you work in some computer related field. Am I right? So, if Google is dangerous, which one is a better choice? Yahoo?
Technically they're all dangerous. However, Google is the only one I have noticed come to one of my sites, read the robots.txt file, then immediately begin crawling the things I told them not to.

They're also schizophrenic.

"Censhorship sucks". Unless we can make a buck off the Chinese govt.

"Don't steal software or music". Unless it's us indexing copyrighted intellectual property without the consent of the author.

"We aren't giving that info to the govt." Selling it to private corporations? Hell, sounds like a profitable business venture.

Truthfully, MSN's search bot is by far the most active. I generally use Yahoo, then MSN, then Google.