PDA

View Full Version : Computers Simplex3's SuSE Linux Converts Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 12:26 AM
Looking for some help moving to Linux? Drop the question here and we'll see what I can do. Some topics I expect we'll cover:

1. Installation
2. What apps do what?
3. My (hardware) isn't working (right)
4. Multi-media issues

Remember, if you need help sooner rather than later:

Kubuntu users:
1. Launch Konversation from the "Internet" menu.
2. Connect to #kubuntu by double clicking on it.
3. Ask away.

Suse users:
1. Install X-Chat
2. Connect to the Freenode network
3. Join the #suse channel
4. Ask away. There are usually about 280 helpful souls in there.

I'll also try to keep this up as a sort of FAQ. Non-question-specific posts will have a large, bold heading (see post #2).

*Note: Don't forget you can try out Linux without installing anything on your PC at all. Download one of the LiveCD versions, burn it to a disc, then reboot the PC with the LiveCD in the drive and your computer will load Linux and your hard disk will not be changed. You can get them at either of these links:
http://www.kubuntu.com/
http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/downloads/ftp/mirrors_isos.html
http://www.mepis.org/
http://www.knoppix.org/

*Note: If I start asking you to run a bunch of things from a command prompt it isn't because that's the only way to do it, it's because that's the only way I can "control" what is happening on your end.

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 12:31 AM
Where do I get Linux?

Do us all a favor and use SuSE 10. It's stable, there is a commercial version, it has excellent hardware support, there's no good reason to not use it. The home page for the community (read free) version is here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

You want version 10. The download links are here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version

I have SuSE installed, now what?

Here's a GREAT intro guide for Windows users. It will even help you get DVDs playing.

http://spinink.net/suse-for-windows-users/

Here is another link that will help you get more up-to-date software and some packages that SuSE can't legally provide:

http://susewiki.apanela.com/goodlinks:yast_sources

|Zach|
03-25-2006, 12:47 AM
I am D\L the x86 bit torrent file...hopefully everything goes ok with the whole ISO burned image thing for installation.

|Zach|
03-25-2006, 12:49 AM
This is a pretty impressive open source group. Very organized...reminds me of the wordpress codex.

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 12:49 AM
I am D\L the x86 bit torrent file...hopefully everything goes ok with the whole ISO burned image thing for installation.
I've d/l'd the bittorrent version a couple of times. In fact, I'm one of the seeds.

Guru
03-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I may switch tonight. I am sick of this windows crap. How simple is the source install to get on there? Does it still include all of the other programs that the retail version has or do I need to download each one of those individually?

Bob Dole
03-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Why won't Bob Dole's DVD of Saw II play?

Otter
03-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Oh boy Mr. Simplex did you open up a can of worms.

Allow me a day or two to get my ducks in a row so I can present the problems without being embaressed./

Otter
03-25-2006, 06:41 PM

Did you push 'play'?

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 06:49 PM
I may switch tonight. I am sick of this windows crap. How simple is the source install to get on there? Does it still include all of the other programs that the retail version has or do I need to download each one of those individually?
The 5 CD download of SuSE 10 has everything you'll need/want. It's not source code, it is binaries, so installing apps is just copying files and creating shortcuts, just like Windows.

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Has Bob Dole installed libdvdcss? Right now Linux can't play region encoded DVD's out of the box because of various BS copyright issues (neither can Windows). Fear not, the problem is easily solved. The other bonus is that once the problem is solved you also don't have to worry about region codes on your DVDs, they're ignored. Follow this guide and you'll be good to go:

Guru
03-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Is there a Money or Quicken equivalent for Linux?

JBucc
03-25-2006, 07:20 PM
What's a Linux? Is it a disease?

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Is there a Money or Quicken equivalent for Linux?
Here's a nice article for you:

http://applications.linux.com/applications/05/10/31/1653227.shtml?tid=13

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Oh boy Mr. Simplex did you open up a can of worms.

Allow me a day or two to get my ducks in a row so I can present the problems without being embaressed./
There are no stupid questions. There are stupid people who ask questions, but don't let that scare you.

irishjayhawk
03-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Just curious, simplex, have you tried ubuntu?

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Just curious, simplex, have you tried ubuntu?
Yes. Great hardware support but here are the things I didn't like about it:

1. Lack of a GUI installer. Sure, a pro doesn't need it but we're trying to get noobs converted.
2. Their weird root login configuration. It's kind of a pain in the butt.
3. Their packages aren't as fresh as other distros.
4. I prefer to introduce people to Linux using KDE and Kubuntu had/has issues.
5. Nearly all purchase apps are tested on Red Hat and SuSE. Other distros are hit and miss.
6. Their naming convention pisses me off. Breezy Badger? WTF? Does that come before or after Rabid Dolphin and Constipated Squirrel? Stick to the numbers, folks.
7. They've changed long-established names in their effort to Africanize their community. Or some other reason. Whatever it is, I don't want to have to re-learn terms just so I can use a distro.

irishjayhawk
03-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Yes. Great hardware support but here are the things I didn't like about it:

1. Lack of a GUI installer. Sure, a pro doesn't need it but we're trying to get noobs converted.
2. Their weird root login configuration. It's kind of a pain in the butt.
3. Their packages aren't as fresh as other distros.
4. I prefer to introduce people to Linux using KDE and Kubuntu had/has issues.
5. Nearly all purchase apps are tested on Red Hat and SuSE. Other distros are hit and miss.
6. Their naming convention pisses me off. Breezy Badger? WTF? Does that come before or after Rabid Dolphin and Constipated Squirrel? Stick to the numbers, folks.
7. They've changed long-established names in their effort to Africanize their community. Or some other reason. Whatever it is, I don't want to have to re-learn terms just so I can use a distro.

Well, I have it downloaded and ready for burning to make a live cd. Problem is, I'm wondering whether I'll be lost.

I take it you'd recommend suse, for "n00bs" or beginners?

I've also heard mandravia (or mandrake linux, whatever it's called these days) is a very good beginners' distro.

What I'm asking is: Do you think Suse is the best distro to start out with?

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Well, I have it downloaded and ready for burning to make a live cd. Problem is, I'm wondering whether I'll be lost.

I take it you'd recommend suse, for "n00bs" or beginners?

I've also heard mandravia (or mandrake linux, whatever it's called these days) is a very good beginners' distro.

What I'm asking is: Do you think Suse is the best distro to start out with?
Yes, I believe SuSE is the best noob Linux and it grows with you very nicely. I was a Mandrake guy years ago but it got weird during their transition.

|Zach|
03-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Ok, this ISO burning thing...I don't unpack the file...I just tell NERO to burn the image?

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Ok, this ISO burning thing...I don't unpack the file...I just tell NERO to burn the image?
Correct. Then after they're all burned you will drop in the first CD and reboot. The computer will boot from CD (assuming that's how your BIOS boot order is set up) and you're off and running.

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Simplex - What are some of the Apps you recommend using for media listening/watching in Linux?

Thanks!
For music Amarok can't be beat:

http://amarok.kde.org/

For videos/dvds you can go with either Kaffeine or MPlayer:

http://kaffeine.sourceforge.net/
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html

Guru
03-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Is there a way to combine the 5 cds into one dvd while in windows? The download seems to be designed only to work on the linux platform./

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Is there a way to combine the 5 cds into one dvd while in windows? The download seems to be designed only to work on the linux platform./
There is a DVD ISO download if you prefer that to CDs. The download (any of them) very simply gives you the format you prefer in ISO files, then you burn them. It's very platform-agnostic.

Guru
03-25-2006, 10:59 PM
There is a DVD ISO download if you prefer that to CDs. The download (any of them) very simply gives you the format you prefer in ISO files, then you burn them. It's very platform-agnostic.

Hmmm, must have missed the DVD ISO file sources. All I found was the CD files to download. Almost done now anyway so I will just burn the 5 CDs.

|Zach|
03-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Well I am posting this from my new linux install...SImplex is going to kill me though I when with ubuntu bc the install looked more straight forward...I am going to spend some time to poke around.

Guru
03-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Well I am posting this from my new linux install...SImplex is going to kill me though I when with ubuntu bc the install looked more straight forward...I am going to spend some time to poke around.

OMG What were you thinking Zach. ROFL

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 11:30 PM
First, congrats. Not nearly as bad as people made it out to be, huh?

Second, Ubuntu is a fine distro. They have a large support community just like SuSE. Just wasn't my cup of tea. Of course that's what open source is all about, choice.

:)

|Zach|
03-25-2006, 11:33 PM
So ya...first impression is that this is impressive in and of itself.

Second impression is that I am totally freaking out because I am pretty sure everything I had on my computer before is gone.

How bad is it if i reboot and the linux thing boots automatically. How do i switch back to windows...

Guru
03-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Just about done. I am going to run Live to see what it looks like then I will probably install SUSE. Wish me luck. Be back soon.

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 11:43 PM
So ya...first impression is that this is impressive in and of itself.

Second impression is that I am totally freaking out because I am pretty sure everything I had on my computer before is gone.

How bad is it if i reboot and the linux thing boots automatically. How do i switch back to windows...
Ummm, that might not be a good thing. Let's not panic just yet, though.

Launch a Terminal window (shell prompt), then run:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

That will ask you for the root password you created when you installed and then it should open an editor with some text in it. Paste that in here for me.

|Zach|
03-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Ya, feeling pretty certain about my doom.

# menu.lst - See: grub(8), info grub, update-grub(8)
# grub-install(8), grub-floppy(8),
# grub-md5-crypt, /usr/share/doc/grub
# and /usr/share/doc/grub-doc/.

## default num
# Set the default entry to the entry number NUM. Numbering starts from 0, and
# the entry number 0 is the default if the command is not used.
#
# You can specify 'saved' instead of a number. In this case, the default entry
# is the entry saved with the command 'savedefault'.
default 0

## timeout sec
# Set a timeout, in SEC seconds, before automatically booting the default entry
# (normally the first entry defined).
timeout 3

## hiddenmenu
# Hides the menu by default (press ESC to see the menu)
hiddenmenu

# Pretty colours
#color cyan/blue white/blue

## password ['--md5'] passwd
# If used in the first section of a menu file, disable all interactive editing
# control (menu entry editor and command-line) and entries protected by the
# command 'lock'
# e.g. password topsecret
# password --md5 $1$gLhU0/$aW78kHK1QfV3P2b2znUoe/
# password topsecret

#
# examples
#
# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1
#
# title Linux
# root (hd0,1)
# kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro
#

#
# Put static boot stanzas before and/or after AUTOMAGIC KERNEL LIST

### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
## lines between the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST markers will be modified
## by the debian update-grub script except for the default options below

## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs

## ## Start Default Options ##
## default kernel options
## default kernel options for automagic boot options
## If you want special options for specifiv kernels use kopt_x_y_z
## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
# kopt=root=/dev/sda1 ro

## default grub root device
## e.g. groot=(hd0,0)
# groot=(hd0,0)

## should update-grub create alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. alternative=true
## alternative=false
# alternative=true

## should update-grub lock alternative automagic boot options
## e.g. lockalternative=true
## lockalternative=false
# lockalternative=false

## altoption boot targets option
## multiple altoptions lines are allowed
## e.g. altoptions=(extra menu suffix) extra boot options
## altoptions=(recovery mode) single
# altoptions=(recovery mode) single

## nonaltoption boot targets option
## This option controls options to pass to only the
## primary kernel menu item.
## You can have ONLY one nonaltoptions line
# nonaltoptions=quiet splash

## controls how many kernels should be put into the menu.lst
## only counts the first occurence of a kernel, not the
## alternative kernel options
## e.g. howmany=all
## howmany=7
# howmany=all

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
## memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

## ## End Default Options ##

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
savedefault
boot

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386 (recovery mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/sda1 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
boot

title Ubuntu, memtest86+
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

|Zach|
03-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Oh ya, the amount of space I have on this drive? Alot.

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Ya, feeling pretty certain about my doom.
Give me:
sudo fdisk -l

|Zach|
03-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 19272 154802308+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 19273 19457 1486012+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 19273 19457 1485981 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 507 MB, 507379712 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 983 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

/dev/sdb1 1 983 495313+ 6 FAT16

Simplex3
03-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes

/dev/sda1 * 1 19272 154802308+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 19273 19457 1486012+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 19273 19457 1485981 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 507 MB, 507379712 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 983 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

/dev/sdb1 1 983 495313+ 6 FAT16

I'm assuming you had Windows on the first drive (sda)? Let's hope your data is on the second drive (sdb), because there are no Windows partitions left on the 160GB drive.

|Zach|
03-25-2006, 11:55 PM
I'm assuming you had Windows on the first drive (sda)? Let's hope your data is on the second drive (sdb), because there are no Windows partitions left on the 160GB drive.
Heh, I am pretty sure the second one is a card I have in for my camera...oh well...no critical data lost...

But the 20 gigs of music? Ya that hurts.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Heh, I am pretty sure the second one is a card I have in for my camera...oh well...no critical data lost...

But the 20 gigs of music? Ya that hurts.
Ouch.

Ok, since you're starting from scratch do this:

Install Windows. Give it all but, say, 40G of your disk. When that's done (before you spend a bunch of time updating, installing software, etc.) install Linux and be sure to have it dual boot. I'm not sure what the Ubuntu install is like but SuSE will see the Windows partition and keep it by default. According to the Ubuntu guys I was just chatting with it is supposed to do that, so I'm not sure what happened. The SuSE installer has a nice graphical front end with mouse support, etc. It'll probably be more comfortable for you.

After we have them both installed and we've verified the dual boot THEN we'll start spending time configuring the two OSes.

|Zach|
03-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Ouch.

Ok, since you're starting from scratch do this:

Install Windows. Give it all but, say, 40G of your disk. When that's done (before you spend a bunch of time updating, installing software, etc.) install Linux and be sure to have it dual boot. I'm not sure what the Ubuntu install is like but SuSE will see the Windows partition and keep it by default. According to the Ubuntu guys I was just chatting with it is supposed to do that, so I'm not sure what happened. The SuSE installer has a nice graphical front end with mouse support, etc. It'll probably be more comfortable for you.

After we have them both installed and we've verified the dual boot THEN we'll start spending time configuring the two OSes.
Well I am pretty much digging this right now...so you are talking about how to get it cracking so I can do them both again...not raising my old stuff from the dead right?

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Well I am pretty much digging this right now...so you are talking about how to get it cracking so I can do them both again...not raising my old stuff from the dead right?
Correct. The old stuff is gone. I'm talking about puttting you into a fresh dual boot environment.

Just to clarify, did you install Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

|Zach|
03-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Correct. The old stuff is gone. I'm talking about puttting you into a fresh dual boot environment.

Just to clarify, did you install Ubuntu or Kubuntu?
Ub.

I will have to dig up my WIndows XP disks. I am not sure where they are offhand.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Ub.
Ok, that just lets me know that you're enjoying Gnome, not KDE. If you decide to install SuSE next time you'll encounter a screen that asks you what desktop you want to use, KDE, Gnome, or Other. KDE is the default, you might want to go with Gnome. With SuSE you can install both and just switch back and forth.

|Zach|
03-26-2006, 12:11 AM
Ok, that just lets me know that you're enjoying Gnome, not KDE. If you decide to install SuSE next time you'll encounter a screen that asks you what desktop you want to use, KDE, Gnome, or Other. KDE is the default, you might want to go with Gnome. With SuSE you can install both and just switch back and forth.
Ya what happened was...when it was asking me for parition info I clicked what seemed to be safe and then it stalled on me...so it ran again and I was on the phone and hastily clicked the nuclear bomb option it seems like...I had a suspicion I messed up as soon as I clicked it...I am a little worried the semi baked install and the real one won't play nice.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:16 AM
I am a little worried the semi baked install and the real one won't play nice.
Are you asking if a dual boot environment will play nice? If so, they play very nicely. In fact, Windows is totally unaware of it's "friend". Linux can see Windows, but knows what to do with it. There's no "basic" way to say this, so here goes.

The major linux distros install a boot loader to the boot sector of your disk. Most of them install one called grub, some still install one called lilo. The PC executes whatever code is in the boot sector when it turns on, which in the case of a Windows only machine there is a piece of code saying simply "Go and boot Windows". When Grub overwrites the boot sector, now the computer shows us a grub screen which says "What would you like to boot?" If we pick Windows it launches the Windows partition and Windows is all happy. If we choose Linux it boots the linux partition and it is all happy.

It's all good. I'm doing it on both my desktop and my laptop, no issues.

|Zach|
03-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Are you asking if a dual boot environment will play nice? If so, they play very nicely. In fact, Windows is totally unaware of it's "friend". Linux can see Windows, but knows what to do with it. There's no "basic" way to say this, so here goes.

The major linux distros install a boot loader to the boot sector of your disk. Most of them install one called grub, some still install one called lilo. The PC executes whatever code is in the boot sector when it turns on, which in the case of a Windows only machine there is a piece of code saying simply "Go and boot Windows". When Grub overwrites the boot sector, now the computer shows us a grub screen which says "What would you like to boot?" If we pick Windows it launches the Windows partition and Windows is all happy. If we choose Linux it boots the linux partition and it is all happy.

It's all good. I'm doing it on both my desktop and my laptop, no issues.
Nah I am more so worried that a botched install of ubuntu and the working one will make things dicey.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Nah I am more so worried that a botched install of ubuntu and the working one will make things dicey.
The botched one doesn't exist. It was blown away with Windows. Does that make you feel better? :(

|Zach|
03-26-2006, 12:24 AM
The botched one doesn't exist. It was blown away with Windows. Does that make you feel better? :(
ROFL Cool. I am actually pretty calm. I really am impressed with what I do have. It'll just be a matter of trying to build up my music list again. Thats doable.

I am thinking of doing a fresh suse install though, everything is cool with the UB but the sound is really working for some reason.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:28 AM
ROFL Cool. I am actually pretty calm. I really am impressed with what I do have. It'll just be a matter of trying to build up my music list again. Thats doable.

I am thinking of doing a fresh suse install though, everything is cool with the UB but the sound is really working for some reason.
The biggest plus to you about SuSE is that I have it and run it. I where SuSE puts things better than I know other Linux distros.

|Zach|
03-26-2006, 12:28 AM
To be fair this is 100% my fault...I dont want to scare any others thinking of giving all of this a try.

|Zach|
03-26-2006, 12:29 AM
The biggest plus to you about SuSE is that I have it and run it. I where SuSE puts things better than I know other Linux distros.
ALrighty...5 iso's....5 discs...ya?

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:30 AM
ALrighty...5 iso's....5 discs...ya?
Correct-a-mundo.

Since you're a noob, go ahead and put KDE on when you do SuSE. If you like Gnome better we'll add it later.

|Zach|
03-26-2006, 12:34 AM
Correct-a-mundo.

Since you're a noob, go ahead and put KDE on when you do SuSE. If you like Gnome better we'll add it later.
DOn't those have to do with look and feel for the most part?

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:36 AM
DOn't those have to do with look and feel for the most part?
They won't affect what works, but they have bearing on HOW they work as well as what applications and utilities will be installed by default. They will also affect the look and feel.

As for the specifics of look and feel, there are many, many, MANY skins that you can use for either Gnome or KDE.

Guru
03-26-2006, 01:09 AM
I take it I will no longer be able to browse through my secondary NTFS drive that I store pictures and music on that I created while with Windows?

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 01:12 AM
I take it I will no longer be able to browse through my secondary NTFS drive that I store pictures and music on that I created while with Windows?
Wrong! Linux can mount FAT16 and FAT32 read/write and it can mount NTFS read only.

Guru
03-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Wrong! Linux can mount FAT16 and FAT32 read/write and it can mount NTFS read only.

How do I set that up then. I can't locate what used to be my D drive in WinXP NTFS. I know it is there because I made certain it was not used during the installation process.

Guru
03-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Also, how do I set up 3D support on my Nvidia card?

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 01:22 AM
How do I set that up then. I can't locate what used to be my D drive in WinXP NTFS. I know it is there because I made certain it was not used during the installation process.
* Open YaST from the System menu.
* Select System->Partitioner.
* Tell it you're an expert.
* When the "Expert Partitioner" opens you'll see a list of your devices and the partitions on them.
* Click on the partition in question. It will be of type "HPFS/NTFS" (since MS stole IBM's file system).
* Click "Edit" at the bottom of the screen.
* Set the "Mount Point" to /windows/D if it isn't already.
* Click Ok
* Mount any other Windows partitions you want.
* Click Apply

Guru
03-26-2006, 01:26 AM
* Open YaST from the System menu.
* Select System->Partitioner.
* Tell it you're an expert.
* When the "Expert Partitioner" opens you'll see a list of your devices and the partitions on them.
* Click on the partition in question. It will be of type "HPFS/NTFS" (since MS stole IBM's file system).
* Click "Edit" at the bottom of the screen.
* Set the "Mount Point" to /windows/D if it isn't already.
* Click Ok
* Mount any other Windows partitions you want.
* Click Apply

Gave me a "storage modification failed" error -3003

Won't let me do what you suggested

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Also, how do I set up 3D support on my Nvidia card?
* From YaST (are you noticing a theme here?) select Software->Online Update
* Click Next to accept the update source it selected.
* Select the patches you want to install. Hint, you want pretty much all of them, especially the NVidia binary driver one.
* Click Accept
* Go take a leak, get a beer, whatever.
* Return to YaST
* Click Hardware->Graphics Card and Monitor
* In the "Monitor" section, check "Activate 3D Acceleration" at the bottom of the page.
* Make any other changes you like.
* You can set the various NVidia driver properties by clicking "Options" on the Monitor section if you're a hard-core tweaker.
* Click Ok
* Reboot to load the driver. This isn't necessary but it's easier than explaining insmod.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 01:36 AM
Gave me a "storage modification failed" error -3003

Won't let me do what you suggested
Open a Konqueror window and type media:/ in the "Location".

Guru
03-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Working on the 3D update now. What about my problem viewing my NTFS drive? Any other suggestions there?

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 01:44 AM
Working on the 3D update now. What about my problem viewing my NTFS drive? Any other suggestions there?
Look at the post right above yours. :)

Guru
03-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Open a Konqueror window and type media:/ in the "Location".

Gave me this...

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: can't find /dev/hda5 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 01:51 AM
Gave me this...

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: can't find /dev/hda5 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
Ok, open a Konsole window and run these two commands, then paste the results for me. If you aren't currently logged in as "root" (and you shouldn't be) then you will need to type "su" and enter your root password when prompted before you begin.

fdisk -l

cat /etc/fstab

Guru
03-26-2006, 02:02 AM
Ok, open a Konsole window and run these two commands, then paste the results for me. If you aren't currently logged in as "root" (and you shouldn't be) then you will need to type "su" and enter your root password when prompted before you begin.

fdisk -l
fdisk: invalid option -- 1

Usage: fdisk [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK Change partition table
fdisk -l [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK List partition table(s)
fdisk -s PARTITION Give partition size(s) in blocks
fdisk -v Give fdisk version
Here DISK is something like /dev/hdb or /dev/sda
and PARTITION is something like /dev/hda7
-u: give Start and End in sector (instead of cylinder) units
-b 2048: (for certain MO disks) use 2048-byte sectors

cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hda1 / reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/dvd /media/dvd subfs noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0

Guru
03-26-2006, 02:03 AM
Also, still not getting the 3D option under hardware. it is greyed out even after the nvidia update install.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Sorry, that's -l as in "list"

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 02:06 AM
Also, still not getting the 3D option under hardware. it is greyed out even after the nvidia update install.
Ah, I'll bet you have to reboot FIRST. Bad instructions on my part.

Guru
03-26-2006, 02:09 AM
Ah, I'll bet you have to reboot FIRST. Bad instructions on my part.

I did reboot actually. Seemed obvious to me. I am trying to reinstall the nvidia patch now.

Guru
03-26-2006, 02:10 AM
Sorry, that's -l as in "list"
Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes

/dev/hda1 * 1 9774 78509623+ 83 Linux
/dev/hda2 9775 19457 77778697+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5 9775 19457 77778666 7 HPFS/NTFS

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 02:15 AM

Ok, as root run this:

kate /etc/fstab

It will open an editor window with your fstab file open. Add this line to the end of the file:

/dev/hda5 /windows/D ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0

Then save and exit Kate (the editor).

Now, from the command line run:

mkdir -p /windows/D
mount /windows/D

Let me know what that does.

ChiefsLV
03-26-2006, 03:04 AM
This all seems so simple and straightforward. I just don't understand why more people wouldn't want to spend 3+ hours configuring the new OS on their computers and needing an "expert" to guide them along when things go awry.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 07:39 AM
This all seems so simple and straightforward. I just don't understand why more people wouldn't want to spend 3+ hours configuring the new OS on their computers and needing an "expert" to guide them along when things go awry.
1. At least when you have issues it's possible to fix them
2. All of this information is readily available in the user's guide and on the web
3. You didn't do all of this s**t by yourself the first time you used Windows
4. You couldn't mount a non-Windows drive in Windows with or without the help of an expert

...and last but not least...

5. F**K OFF, TROLL

While we're at it, when was the last time you had Windows, all your drivers, AND all your apps installed and patched in under 3 hours? That's right, NEVER. Feel free to never stop by again.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 07:43 AM

Uhm, are you using the LiveCD right now? If you are that explains why we are having issues making system changes. We can't make config changes to a read only drive.

Bob Dole
03-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Has Bob Dole installed libdvdcss? Right now Linux can't play region encoded DVD's out of the box because of various BS copyright issues (neither can Windows).

More specifically, it's a bullshit DMCA issue.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 09:22 AM
More specifically, it's a bullshit DMCA issue.
Yeah. What he said.

ChiefsLV
03-26-2006, 09:45 AM
2. All of this information is readily available in the user's guide and on the web
4. You couldn't mount a non-Windows drive in Windows with or without the help of an expert

5. F**K OFF, TROLL

While we're at it, when was the last time you had Windows, all your drivers, AND all your apps installed and patched in under 3 hours? That's right, NEVER. Feel free to never stop by again.

Try one hour at the most. It's a point and click affair instead of having to memorize a bunch of linux commands and type them into a shell. I much prefer it. A super-skilled IT worker like yourself may even be able to do it in less time. There's nothing wrong with preferring Linux over Windows, but trying to push it as an easier install is, to be nice, reaching.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 10:01 AM
Try one hour at the most. It's a point and click affair instead of having to memorize a bunch of linux commands and type them into a shell. I much prefer it. A super-skilled IT worker like yourself may even be able to do it in less time. There's nothing wrong with preferring Linux over Windows, but trying to push it as an easier install is, to be nice, reaching.
Do you actually believe that line of bulls**t? You can install Windows, Office, Outlook, Photoshop, Nero, etc. AND do all the patches in an hour or less?

ROFL

How many nickles do you have to bet on that one?

As for using the command line, if you would notice the note in the first post I have them use it not because that's the only way to do it, but because that's the only way I can see what they see. It's nice to have that option, which you don't in Windows.

Also, I think we've found out what his problem is. He's trying to make changes to a boot CD version of Linux. Well, you can't very make changes to a read only disk. These issues wouldn't be issues if it were installed on his HDD.

And please, please, please quote the post where I claimed it would be easier.

ChiefsLV
03-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Do you actually believe that line of bulls**t? You can install Windows, Office, Outlook, Photoshop, Nero, etc. AND do all the patches in an hour or less?

ROFL

How many nickles do you have to bet on that one?

As for using the command line, if you would notice the note in the first post I have them us it not because that's the only way to do it, but because that's the only way I can see what they see. It's nice to have that option, which you don't in Windows.

Also, I think we've found out what his problem is. He's trying to make changes to a boot CD version of Linux. Well, you can't very make changes to a read only disk. These issues wouldn't be issues if it were installed on his HDD.

And please, please, please quote the post where I claimed it would be easier.

I can't imagine you've ever been called an ass... :rolleyes: So you admit then that Windows is a much easier install and takes a lot less time to install for the average user?

dirk digler
03-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey Zach you should have installed VMWare Workstationon your Windows PC and installed Ubuntu on it. That way you wouldn't have lost your stuff. Simplex should have told you that since you're a noob to Linux.

dirk digler
03-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Actually all you would have had to do was download and install the free VM player they have a free Ubuntu Virtual Appliance that you can use.

ANYONE WHO WANTS TO TRY LINUX SHOULD USE VMWARE AND TRY IT OUT FIRST BEFORE YOU GO SCREWING WITH YOUR PC.

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/ubuntu.html

Ubuntu Virtual Appliance
Ubuntu

Virtual Appliance

Ubuntu is a free, open source operating system that starts with the breadth of Debian and adds regular releases (every six months), a clear focus on the user and usability (it should "Just Work", TM) and a commitment to security updates with 18 months of support for every release.
Instructions

1. Download your pre-built Ubuntu 5.10 "The Breezy Badger" Linux Virtual Development Environment.

2. To run this pre-built virtual machine, please choose from the following:
* Download VMware Player. VMware Player is free software that enables PC users to easily run any virtual machine on a Windows or Linux PC.
* Evaluate VMware Workstation, GSX Server, or ESX Server.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Hey Zach you should have installed VMWare Workstationon your Windows PC and installed Ubuntu on it. That way you wouldn't have lost your stuff. Simplex should have told you that since you're a noob to Linux.
You mean the VMWare that costs $189? Didn't seem very practical to recommend that so he could test drive Linux.

I did recommend they use a LiveCD version which wouldn't have to be installed and wouldn't cost him anything.

SLAG
03-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Im interested in Trying a Dual boot Solution but I dont think I have enough harddrive space to run an SUSE installation

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 10:23 AM
I can't imagine you've ever been called an ass... :rolleyes: So you admit then that Windows is a much easier install and takes a lot less time to install for the average user?
We already have a thread for this circular argument bulls**t. It's here:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137919

dirk digler
03-26-2006, 10:25 AM
You mean the VMWare that costs $189? Didn't seem very practical to recommend that so he could test drive Linux.

I did recommend they use a LiveCD version which wouldn't have to be installed and wouldn't cost him anything.

The VMplayer is free. You can also demo VMWare workstation for 30 days free.

People I implore to use the VMPlayer and try it out before you go dicking with your PC. The best way to try new OS's out is VMWARE.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Im interested in Trying a Dual boot Solution but I dont think I have enough harddrive space to run an SUSE installation
You can install and operate very nicely in less than 5G of space. How much do you have?

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 10:27 AM
The VMplayer is free. You can also demo VMWare workstation for 30 days free. Nice try.
You can do the LiveCD and never install anything, download any trials, etc. It will also validate your hardware for that distro. Obviously a far inferior solution to yours.

dirk digler
03-26-2006, 10:32 AM
You can do the LiveCD and never install anything, download any trials, etc. It will also validate your hardware for that distro. Obviously a far inferior solution to yours.

It sounds good and they should use it. They need to use something to demo it out before going and screwing up their PC. That is all that I am saying.

The one thing that I like about VMWare Workstation is that you can practice installing it and configuring without messing up your PC. Unless you have an extra PC at your house that you don't care about I would recommend it.

Just my .02 cents.

SLAG
03-26-2006, 10:37 AM
You can install and operate very nicely in less than 5G of space. How much do you have?

I have about 8 Gigs Free on my Desktop and 4 gigs free on my Laptop

I need a constant 8-10gigs free on my Desktop to use when I edit my home movies and xfer them to DVD- on a tanget what program would emulate NERO VISION or WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER on linux-

I cant download any ISO's til Monday im On Dial up until then

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 10:37 AM
It sounds good and they should use it. They need to use something to demo it out before going and screwing up their PC. That is all that I am saying.

The one thing that I like about VMWare Workstation is that you can practice installing it and configuring without messing up your PC. Unless you have an extra PC at your house that you don't care about I would recommend it.

Just my .02 cents.
The downside to VMWare "install training", so to speak, is that it leaves out getting the partitioning right (Zach's problem), and driver and dual boot issues (kcciefsguru's problem).

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 10:41 AM
I have about 8 Gigs Free on my Desktop and 4 gigs free on my Laptop

I need a constant 8-10gigs free on my Desktop to use when I edit my home movies and xfer them to DVD- on a tanget what program would emulate NERO VISION or WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER on linux-

I cant download any ISO's til Monday im On Dial up until then
You're pretty much out of luck for the desktop. You could potentially use the laptop but you'd be pretty pressed for space. I'd say check out the Mepis LiveCD.

dirk digler
03-26-2006, 10:41 AM
The downside to VMWare "install training", so to speak, is that it leaves out getting the partitioning right (Zach's problem), and driver and dual boot issues (kcciefsguru's problem).

Good point.

I am going to try it out Suse and I am downloading it now. It looks promising.

SLAG
03-26-2006, 10:46 AM
You're pretty much out of luck for the desktop. You could potentially use the laptop but you'd be pretty pressed for space. I'd say check out the Mepis LiveCD.

I may just wait another week

I get paid on friday and a new HDD for the Desktop is in order anyway..

Any suggestions on where to get a good one for under $100

EDIT: I dont think my MainBoard supports SATA I need an EIDE

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 10:49 AM
I may just wait another week

I get paid on friday and a new HDD for the Desktop is in order anyway..

Any suggestions on where to get a good one for under $100

EDIT: I dont think my MainBoard supports SATA I need an EIDE

Microcenter has several under $100.
http://www.microcenter.com/search_results_e_compare.phtml?coordinate_group=D4D1&search_id=cadd6434ca30ada9633327416386986c

Guru
03-26-2006, 10:50 AM

5. F**K OFF, TROLL

Got this

linux:/home/rmstewart # kate /etc/fstab
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
kbuildsycoca running...
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
ASSERT: "m_currentContainer==container" in ./kate/app/kateviewmanager.cpp (196)
linux:/home/rmstewart # QObject::connect: No such signal KListView::doubleclicked(QListViewItem*)
QObject::connect: (sender name: 'unnamed')
QObject::connect: (receiver name: 'KateSaveModifiedDialog')

linux:/home/rmstewart # mkdir -p /windows/d
linux:/home/rmstewart # ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 6852, errno = 0
mount /windows/d
mount: can't find /windows/d in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Got this

linux:/home/rmstewart # kate /etc/fstab
kbuildsycoca running...
ASSERT: "m_currentContainer==container" in ./kate/app/kateviewmanager.cpp (196)
linux:/home/rmstewart # QObject::connect: No such signal KListView::doubleclicked(QListViewItem*)
QObject::connect: (sender name: 'unnamed')
QObject::connect: (receiver name: 'KateSaveModifiedDialog')

linux:/home/rmstewart # mkdir -p /windows/d
linux:/home/rmstewart # ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 6852, errno = 0
mount /windows/d
mount: can't find /windows/d in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Ok, first I think you're still using the LiveCD, right? We can't add drivers or mount points to the LiveCD because it's a read only device. If that's not the case let me know.

Second, Linux is case-sensitive. "d" is not the same thing as "D". That takes some time for most Windows users to get used to.

SLAG
03-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Microcenter has several under $100.
http://www.microcenter.com/search_results_e_compare.phtml?coordinate_group=D4D1&search_id=cadd6434ca30ada9633327416386986c
Im Leary to buy an Refurbished HDD

id buy an Refurbished anything else but a HDD seems iffy to me Refurbed

Guru
03-26-2006, 11:00 AM
Ok, first I think you're still using the LiveCD, right? We can't add drivers or mount points to the LiveCD because it's a read only device. If that's not the case let me know.

Second, Linux is case-sensitive. "d" is not the same thing as "D". That takes some time for most Windows users to get used to.

NOt using the live cd at all.
Also, I am cutting and pasting exactly what you type.

Guru
03-26-2006, 11:02 AM
hmm now my status bar at the bottom will not display anything.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 11:04 AM
NOt using the live cd at all.
Also, I am cutting and pasting exactly what you type.
Run this for me:

ls -l /windows/

Guru
03-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Run this for me:

ls -l /windows/

total 9
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 96 2006-03-26 11:48 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 512 2006-03-26 06:06 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 48 2006-03-26 11:48 d
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root users 8192 2006-03-25 22:31 D

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 11:11 AM
total 9
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 96 2006-03-26 11:48 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 root root 512 2006-03-26 06:06 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 48 2006-03-26 11:48 d
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root users 8192 2006-03-25 22:31 D
Ok, we're in good shape. Run this as root:
mount /windows/D

Also, did you get the NVidia driver running?

Guru
03-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Ok, we're in good shape. Run this as root:
mount /windows/D

Also, did you get the NVidia driver running?

mount: /dev/hda5 already mounted or /windows/D busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/hda5 is already mounted on /windows/D

yes, Nvidia is up and running.

my status bar at the bottom of my Gnome screen is bare and will not display anything though now.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 11:21 AM
mount: /dev/hda5 already mounted or /windows/D busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/hda5 is already mounted on /windows/D

yes, Nvidia is up and running.

my status bar at the bottom of my Gnome screen is bare and will not display anything though now.
Ah, you're in Gnome? Ok, that explains why media:/ didn't work. ROFL

Ok, so show me this:
ls -l /windows/D/

I'm not a Gnome guy, I'm not sure what the deal with the panel is.

Robio9
03-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Is there an open source alternative for Quickbooks? I'm not keen on running native under WiNE, as every forum I've researched indicates that Quickbooks isn't 100% functional.

Also, can any of the recent Linux distros detect a Pentium D or Athlon X2 and use both procs?

Guru
03-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Ah, you're in Gnome? Ok, that explains why media:/ didn't work. ROFL

Ok, so show me this:
ls -l /windows/D/

I'm not a Gnome guy, I'm not sure what the deal with the panel is.

I can access my D drive through Konqueror now at least. How can I switch from Gnome to the other desktop. I am really not liking Gnome anyway. Looks too much like Apple.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Is there an open source alternative for Quickbooks? I'm not keen on running native under WiNE, as every forum I've researched indicates that Quickbooks isn't 100% functional.

Also, can any of the recent Linux distros detect a Pentium D or Athlon X2 and use both procs?
I haven't used a good Quickbooks substitute. There are several free business accounting packages, though they are really geared to be used by accountants. CrossOver Office claims to run QuickBooks on Windows though I've never used it personally.

I haven't tried any of them personally, but here's a nice start:
http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&forum_id=0&group_id=0&atid=0&words=accounting+business&Search=Search

Hyperthreading and SMP support are native in the Linux 2.6 kernel which nearly all modern distros use.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:06 PM
I can access my D drive through Konqueror now at least. How can I switch from Gnome to the other desktop. I am really not liking Gnome anyway. Looks too much like Apple.
1. YaST->Software->Software Management
2. Under "Filter", select "Selections"
3. Check "KDE Desktop Environment"
4. Click "Accept"

When it's finished you'll have to log out. When you get back to the login screen click "Session Type" in the lower left corner and choose KDE. Then log in. It will remember your last session type when you log in, so you won't have to do that again.

Guru
03-26-2006, 12:42 PM
LOL Now I have KDE but I lost access to my NTFS drive again.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:43 PM
LOL Now I have KDE but I lost access to my NTFS drive again.
ROFL

Nobody said this was perfect every time.

Do the "mount /windows/D" thing again.

Or you can reboot.

Guru
03-26-2006, 12:55 PM
ROFL

Nobody said this was perfect every time.

Do the "mount /windows/D" thing again.

Or you can reboot.

Hmm, says it is mounted but I cannot locate it anywhere. Have tried using konquorer too.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Hmm, says it is mounted but I cannot locate it anywhere. Have tried using konquorer too.
You can always type "/windows/D" in the Location box of Konq and get right there. Then bookmark that location if you go there often.

I think typically there is a desktop icon as well, though I'm not sure about that. I have desktop icons turned off.

|Zach|
03-26-2006, 06:10 PM
So my big plan was to fool around with ubuntu until I got suse loaded up but then I forgot to get the torrent d\l before I went to bed last night. I have spent a lot of time forming ub into what I like...its working out pretty well for me so far...finding different aps to do everything I need.

KC Jones
03-26-2006, 06:23 PM

Gnucash is one of the better known accounting packages. It's a true double ledger accounting system and geared a bit more towards accountants than business users who want a something with lots of wizards to step them through everything. Last I check into it they were working on adding some quickbooks style wizards and making it simpler for small businesses to use.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 06:41 PM
So my big plan was to fool around with ubuntu until I got suse loaded up but then I forgot to get the torrent d\l before I went to bed last night. I have spent a lot of time forming ub into what I like...its working out pretty well for me so far...finding different aps to do everything I need.
It's all about finding something you like and making it your own.

There are so many apps, the hard part isn't finding something. The hard part is deciding on one. A nice place to start your search would be SourceForge:

http://www.sf.net/

You'll find thousands of free apps there. There's something for everyone.

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Another quick note on Linux:

All these settings can be ported from one machine to another and frequently from one distro to another. There is no registry for s**t to be strewn around in, all over hell and high water. All of your settings will be somewhere in your home directory. For instance, if you make a copy of your ".kde" directory and copy that to another computer you will have KDE looking identical, and any KDE-compliant apps will also have all of your settings. Gnome has a similar directory called ".gconf".

|Zach|
03-26-2006, 07:26 PM
It's all about finding something you like and making it your own.

There are so many apps, the hard part isn't finding something. The hard part is deciding on one. A nice place to start your search would be SourceForge:

http://www.sf.net/

You'll find thousands of free apps there. There's something for everyone.
I love the multiple work place space thingy. WIth all the multi tasking I do its nice to have CP in spot music in another and something actully productive in a 3rd place.

I am still having trouble figuring out how programs go. Most the stuff I have added has been through the automatic "add application" feature. Other than that its hit and miss...after extracting a new program how do you usually go about it? There are not install executables are there?

Simplex3
03-26-2006, 09:08 PM
I love the multiple work place space thingy. WIth all the multi tasking I do its nice to have CP in spot music in another and something actully productive in a 3rd place.

I am still having trouble figuring out how programs go. Most the stuff I have added has been through the automatic "add application" feature. Other than that its hit and miss...after extracting a new program how do you usually go about it? There are not install executables are there?
Software typically comes one of three ways:

1. Source code: You can almost always get this. It does require compiling it yourself and is the least friendly method.

2. Scripted apps: These require no compiling, so generally they're just copied to a location and run.

3. Binary distributions: Typically called "rpms", "debs", "packages", etc. depending on your distro. These are pre-compiled binary versions of an application like you're used to with Windows. The package is an installer and will copy the files where they need to go. What they don't do on occasion is create a menu item in the launcher menu.

Nearly every app will come with a README file that explains how to get it set up and running.

Gaz
03-27-2006, 06:59 AM
I do not want to start a “Distro Flame War” here, but I auditioned several Linux distributions when I tried to dump Windows. The easiest ones for a Windows user to adapt to are Lindows and XandrOS. Both are designed to look and behave as much like Windows as possible. The best feature for a Linux newbie is that you do not have to use the Command Line [and are therefore less likely to mess up your OS]. Lindows is not free, but XandrOS is.

Here is a thread where I documented my XandrOS experience:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=133909&highlight=Xandros

Mrs. Gaz and I went back to Windows because Linux still cannot efficiently or consistently run some vital Windows applications. XandrOS comes with a 30-day trial of CrossOver Office. CO Office lets you run some Windows applications on a Linux machine. However, it was too buggy for us.

Linus is not ready to replace Windows at Rancho Gaz [dammit], but if you are wanting to migrate from Windows to Linux and want the easiest transition possible, you should give XandrOS a look. Once you get comfortable with Linux, you can then load a more advanced distro and wreak havoc with the Command Line.

xoxo~
Gaz
Still hoping for a Windowless ride one fine day.

SLAG
03-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Do you think the SuSE Disto will run good on a Pentium III 500MHz with 128 Meg Ram and a 3 gig HDD?

unlurking
03-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Do you think the SuSE Disto will run good on a Pentium III 500MHz with 128 Meg Ram and a 3 gig HDD?
I wouldn't install a GUI on that, but if you need one, try Xfce. You'll also need to seriously minimize your installed packages.

For something like that, your best bet is really something small, but at the same time you'll have to understand what you are doing to make things work. Personally, I'd go with Slack and no GUI in that instance (or Xfce if I had too).

Been using SUSE for a few months now (customer requirement), and found it's really not too bad. In order to actually use it as a desktop though (and stay within their package management), you really have to add better sources. Couldn't believe that they only ran Thunderbird 1.0.x?!?! Almost no extensions work with that versions any more.

SLAG
03-27-2006, 10:33 AM
what about an AMD k6-2 400mhz with 256MB RAM and an 10GIG HDD

Simplex3
03-27-2006, 10:43 AM
I do not want to start a “Distro Flame War” here, but I auditioned several Linux distributions when I tried to dump Windows. The easiest ones for a Windows user to adapt to are Lindows and XandrOS. Both are designed to look and behave as much like Windows as possible.

It all depends on what the person is looking for. If you're trying to replace Windows the Xandos and Lindows are both excellent distros.

However, if you're looking to learn about Linux IMO both of those will be disappointing to you. Much like Windows, they remove flexibility to lower the barrier to entry.

Simplex3
03-27-2006, 10:45 AM
what about an AMD k6-2 400mhz with 256MB RAM and an 10GIG HDD
Now you're talking. That should do just fine as an intro Linux machine.

StcChief
03-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Be amazed at how small a machine can run unix os.
really points at all the bloat in windoz.

SLAG
03-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Now you're talking. That should do just fine as an intro Linux machine.

The PentiumIII 500 with 128 is my wifes machine running Winblows98 right now.- She complains that it hangs all the time

I can switch it out with the K6 Box and Let er rip.

I will start Downloading the ISO when I get home Tonight.

SLAG
03-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Be amazed at how small a machine can run unix os.
really points at all the bloat in windoz.

I used to Run linux on my Dreamcast..

it was a fun little project

Do a web search if you are interested more

SLAG
03-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Let the Downloading COMMENCE!!

SLAG
03-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Installation Keeps Hanging at Activating USB DRIVERS.....

If I do failsafe it goes but then it only installs so far before some packages start failing

Simplex3
03-28-2006, 05:34 AM
Installation Keeps Hanging at Activating USB DRIVERS.....

If I do failsafe it goes but then it only installs so far before some packages start failing
Try deactivating the USB ports in the BIOS until you get SuSE installed and patched.

SLAG
03-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Try deactivating the USB ports in the BIOS until you get SuSE installed and patched.

Well in FailSafe it gets past the Detecting USB devices but then it locks up after I accept the EULA

SLAG
03-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Im going to stop messin with the machine that was gving me problems..

I will try it on the Pentium III 500 with 128meg ram and i was wrong about the hdd it actually has 60gigs

SLAG
03-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Ok Posting this from the Suse box... everything seems to look good... how can I improve some system performance?

SLAG
03-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Any other tips or anything anyone?

Simplex3
03-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Any other tips or anything anyone?
I'm not ignoring you, I'm busy. I'll get some performance tips out tonight.

SLAG
03-28-2006, 06:54 PM
Heres my Issue now, I upgraded the ram in the PC (the BIOS is giving me an start up error stating that one of the DIMM'S is Out of REV ) I also installed a Different video card in this machine, now when SUSE loads it goes to the login screen and when i type in KDE it fails- something about Xset faild or something

SLAG
03-28-2006, 07:45 PM
put the old video card back in and im back up and running, not sure if i should worry about that bios error at startup.

System Seems better with the additional 128 memory

Simplex3
03-28-2006, 09:05 PM
put the old video card back in and im back up and running, not sure if i should worry about that bios error at startup.

System Seems better with the additional 128 memory
RAM is pretty critical in a *nix system. That will make a big difference.

As for the video card, what kind of chipsets are on the two cards? If they use different driver then X will fail to start until you have it redetect the card.

SLAG
03-28-2006, 11:23 PM
RAM is pretty critical in a *nix system. That will make a big difference.

As for the video card, what kind of chipsets are on the two cards? If they use different driver then X will fail to start until you have it redetect the card.

One was an ATI 8mb... the one that was in the system was an Nvidia TNT 32mb. I didnt know that the TNT had more ram before I pulled it.

SLAG
03-29-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm not ignoring you, I'm busy. I'll get some performance tips out tonight.

I could still use some performance tips for this 500mhz Pent. III with 256 Ram and 40gig HD. Vid Card has 32Meg ram on it

SLAG
03-29-2006, 10:42 PM
I have also decided to install SUSE on my Laptop, Simplex if your around i have some questions

unlurking
03-29-2006, 11:40 PM
I have also decided to install SUSE on my Laptop, Simplex if your around i have some questions
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Use the search function, and I bet you answer 99.9% of any questions you ever come up with.

Not to take away from Simplex3's thread, but if you need quick answers and cannot wait, I'd pretty much guarantee any issue you have has already been discussed at LQ.O many times.

Guru
03-30-2006, 12:15 AM
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Use the search function, and I bet you answer 99.9% of any questions you ever come up with.

Not to take away from Simplex3's thread, but if you need quick answers and cannot wait, I'd pretty much guarantee any issue you have has already been discussed at LQ.O many times.

I ran accross that site over the weekend. Cleared up a lot of questions for me. Check it out Slag.

SLAG
03-30-2006, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the Suggestion and the Confirmation I will be using it more and more.. I think i am bothering the people in the #suse IRC chat

Simplex3
03-30-2006, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the Suggestion and the Confirmation I will be using it more and more.. I think i am bothering the people in the #suse IRC chat
Google (yahoo, whatever) first, THEN head to #suse. As long as you're learning those guys will continue to help. I know because I'm frequently in there. Or at least WAS, I'm around in there less now because of work constraints.

I'll be around here off and on today.

Simplex3
03-30-2006, 06:24 AM
Not to take away from Simplex3's thread...
This will never be the end-all be-all for Linux answers. I simply want this thread to serve as a way for people to overcome the fear of starting with Linux. One you get rolling there are far, far better sources of information.

SLAG
03-30-2006, 07:53 AM
This will never be the end-all be-all for Linux answers. I simply want this thread to serve as a way for people to overcome the fear of starting with Linux. One you get rolling there are far, far better sources of information.

Yeah, I backed up my Info on my laptop and i did a fresh install of Xp last night,

I will be installing suse when I get off of work today.

Looks like I may need to use ndiswraper to make my internal WirelessG work with suse

unlurking
03-30-2006, 12:36 PM
What card do you have? I thought almost all cards now had pretty good support, then again I haven't used anything other than Proxim, Orinoco, or Intel in a few years.

*grimaces thinking of wrapper*

unlurking
03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
For me, it's never about better sources, it's always about getting enough to get me started RIGHT NOW. I pretty much never post tech questions, because I'm too impatient to wait for an answer when all you have to do is now how to use a search engine.

SLAG
03-30-2006, 12:53 PM
What card do you have? I thought almost all cards now had pretty good support, then again I haven't used anything other than Proxim, Orinoco, or Intel in a few years.

Im using a Broadcom 802.11g Adapter and an Broadcom Internal Card as well.

sPiN in the #suse chat was drunk but suggested that the ndiswrapper would be the only way to go with the broadcom due to lack of support

SLAG
03-30-2006, 12:56 PM
For me, it's never about better sources, it's always about getting enough to get me started RIGHT NOW. I pretty much never post tech questions, because I'm too impatient to wait for an answer when all you have to do is now how to use a search engine.

I feel so excited about doing the Install on my laptop...

I cant wait to get home from work to start installing the Suse...

only 3 more hours!

SLAG
03-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Awesmome SuSe 10 Review here

http://madpenguin.org/cms/index.php/?m=show&id=5382&page=1

SLAG
03-30-2006, 05:29 PM

its looking like im going to have to use wrapper :shake: :(

Simplex3
03-30-2006, 07:42 PM
I've used NDISwrapper before, it worked like a champ. Just make sure you follow the directions, it isn't really obvious how it works until you finish installing and get it working the first time.

KCFalcon59
03-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Just got done installing it on an old box. Had lots of trouble with failed packages but just ignored them and once I got the install done it updated and installed all the packages that failed. Now I am just configuring everything the way I like it. So far I like it. Nice look to it. I am pleased so far.

SLAG
03-30-2006, 10:39 PM
I've used NDISwrapper before, it worked like a champ. Just make sure you follow the directions, it isn't really obvious how it works until you finish installing and get it working the first time.

I keep getting invalid driver error

SLAG
03-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Still having Trouble with this ndiswrapper, Cant seem to find a good driver i guess, cant I use the driver that windows has installed?

StcChief
03-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Unless the Driver is written for portabality between OS
In Java, C or machine assembler I would say no.
Just a recompile in new os may fix it....
(Spoken in developer terms)

Most distribute seperate drivers and software by
machine or OS depending on the driver need.

Google may help find this answer.

unlurking
03-31-2006, 01:59 PM
ugh, Broadcom...

Sorry, may be stuck with ndiswrapper.

Personally, I'd just spend the $35 and buy a new card.

SLAG
03-31-2006, 02:13 PM
ugh, Broadcom...

Sorry, may be stuck with ndiswrapper.

Personally, I'd just spend the $35 and buy a new card.

I like having the Internal card so i dont have anything sticking out of the PC,

I just cant find a driver for the broadcom to work with the ndiswrapper

Simplex3
03-31-2006, 02:22 PM
I keep getting invalid driver error
I had to try three different versions of the Intel 2100 driver before I found one that worked.

SLAG
03-31-2006, 03:27 PM
I had to try three different versions of the Intel 2100 driver before I found one that worked.

Does it have to be an .inf file or can it be a .sys or .dll ?

StcChief
03-31-2006, 03:31 PM
Does it have to be an .inf file or can it be a .sys or .dll ?
It doesn't have to be depends on what the Driver OS writer set it up to be (from what I recall for definition in registry for the driver class)...
Telling the OS and managing in registry is key.

Back to the driver and OS again.

SLAG
03-31-2006, 03:33 PM
It doesn't have to be depends on what the Driver OS writer set it up to be (from what I recall for definition in registry for the driver class)...
Telling the OS and managing in registry is key.

Back to the driver and OS again.

I understood that there was no true "registry" in linux,

StcChief
03-31-2006, 03:58 PM
I understood that there was no true "registry" in linux,
You are correct I'm thinking windows as far as registry...
So the driver needed is for the hardware must run on x86 under linux.

Check on net for driver this may take a while for your flavor of linux and
the hardware.

SLAG
03-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Im so close i can taste it..

I still need some help.

I think i have the ndiswrapper set up right and everything but in firefox i can only access my Router and no web pages. and kinternet wont start right

any suggestions

Simplex3
04-01-2006, 12:24 AM
Im so close i can taste it..

I still need some help.

I think i have the ndiswrapper set up right and everything but in firefox i can only access my Router and no web pages. and kinternet wont start right

any suggestions
Run this and post the results:

cat /etc/resolv.conf

SLAG
04-01-2006, 12:30 AM
search site

SLAG
04-01-2006, 01:15 AM
this is the specific error from Kinternet

rror - KInternet
Connection to local and remote server refused. Maybe smpppd is not running or your are not member of the group "dialout". Also check the server settings in the dialog "Various Settings"

SLAG
04-01-2006, 01:55 AM
its done

Im online

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=389869

kinternet is still giving me that error message

StcChief
04-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Slag....

Good job. :clap: :bravo:

Way to be persistent and research use with the existing hardware. I guess it works with Windows or Linux...

Chock this in your resume file as a can do have done.

BTW The Big chicken Wings and OFallon IPA were good... :toast: :BLVD:

Simplex3
04-01-2006, 08:17 AM
its done

Im online

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=389869

kinternet is still giving me that error message
I'll admit it, I've never used kinternent. I only have LAN based access, I don't evere have to worry about connecting/disconnecting. Even if I did I'd be using my shell scripts. :)

Congrats, man. It feels good, doesn't it? Kind of like a weight has been lifted from your computing life.

SLAG
04-01-2006, 08:28 AM
thanks everyone for the help, I will be adding Linux support to my resume and i will continue to suggest linux to everyone,

suse just screamed -"Dump Windows Now'

My cousins computer has an error message "invalid HAL.DLL"

I put his HDD in my pc and i now i dont see any windows directory, any suggestsions other than a reformat reinstall, cuz if i reformat im putting suse on

Simplex3
04-01-2006, 08:34 AM
thanks everyone for the help, I will be adding Linux support to my resume and i will continue to suggest linux to everyone,

suse just screamed -"Dump Windows Now'

My cousins computer has an error message "invalid HAL.DLL"

I put his HDD in my pc and i now i dont see any windows directory, any suggestsions other than a reformat reinstall, cuz if i reformat im putting suse on
I'd run a sector check on his drive, sounds like he lost a big chunk of data. Could just be an allocation table issue, but you want to verify that before you go putting a bunch of stuff on.

SLAG
04-01-2006, 08:41 AM
I'd run a sector check on his drive, sounds like he lost a big chunk of data. Could just be an allocation table issue, but you want to verify that before you go putting a bunch of stuff on.
I will try that, also would you suggest using WINE to run windows progams on the linux and if so how the hell do i use it

Simplex3
04-01-2006, 08:43 AM
I will try that, also would you suggest using WINE to run windows progams on the linux and if so how the hell do i use it
I think SuSE installs it by default but I've never used it.

SLAG
04-02-2006, 10:11 AM
I have been playing around and here is what I need I have looked and im not sure what is the best options-

-I need a DVD ripper/Burner/Shrinker,
-A Wireless app that will scan for networks and allow me to connect other than Knternet
-a File Sharing P2P Prog For Music and Movies.

Simplex3
04-02-2006, 12:29 PM
I have been playing around and here is what I need I have looked and im not sure what is the best options-

-I need a DVD ripper/Burner/Shrinker
I haven't looked very hard, but I haven't found a single app that does this well. I have done it, however. Here are some links to get you started:

http://dvd.chevelless230.com/dvdbackup.html
http://dvd.chevelless230.com/

-A Wireless app that will scan for networks and allow me to connect other than Knternet
Uhhh, YaST? Either that or iwconfig.

-a File Sharing P2P Prog For Music and Movies.
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
http://mldonkey.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

Guru
04-02-2006, 05:03 PM
OK, Simplex. I have been busy all week but am now back to looking at Suse a little. I can't figure out how to get gnucash installed to save my life. I have tried the linux question forums but can't find any direct instructions for this. I do get the occasional newbie telling me to switch to Ubuntu though. LOL

Hell make that for all files. I can't install Wine rpm file either.

Simplex3
04-02-2006, 08:09 PM
OK, Simplex. I have been busy all week but am now back to looking at Suse a little. I can't figure out how to get gnucash installed to save my life. I have tried the linux question forums but can't find any direct instructions for this. I do get the occasional newbie telling me to switch to Ubuntu though. LOL

Hell make that for all files. I can't install Wine rpm file either.
It sounds like you aren't using the "Software Management" tool under "Software" in YaST. gnucash 1.8 and wine are both in the stock Suse rpms and install fine from YaST including the K-Menu shortcuts.

unlurking
04-02-2006, 08:30 PM
SLAG --

Glad you got your broadcom working, but you can buy internal cards for about $35. They are called mini-PCI, and newegg has the Intel 2200 as well as others (drivers integrated into the Linux kernel). Nothing sticking out.

As for DVD tools, dvd::rip and dvdbackup work well. Don't forget lidvdcss. If you are installing wine, there are several guides to getting dvdshrink snd dvddecrypter working.

For scanning for wirless networks I guess use YAST. You can use iwconfig to manually set things up, but I've noticed SUSE really doesn't like when you do things outside of its config tools. You can't use kismet with a broadcom chipset, but there is a gui tool called kwifimanager built into KDE. I don't know if this will screw up YAST though.

I'd definitely second Simplex3's choice of Azureus. Best gui for torrent I've tried to date.

unlurking
04-02-2006, 08:31 PM
kccheifguru --

Try kmymoney. Should already be on your start menu.

unlurking
04-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Well, I switched to SUSE on my personal laptop about 2 months ago, because my employer was forcing me to use it at work. May be moving on though, so I will be going back to Slackware ASAP.

SUSE was kind of a neat toy for the first few weeks, as most people say, because it just "works" out of the box. Unfortunately, I don't like giving up control. Fighting with YAST after modifying config files by hand is just way too much of a hassle. (Same reason I've debated trying Mac but probably won't)

OK all you new linux gurus, time to take control of these boxes now that you've wrested them from the evil clutches of Redmond!

# cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.xx
# cp .config /home/username/config.old
# makemenu config

Now start rebuilding the kernel based on what YOU want! Yeah! You'd be surprised about how much you can slim down the kernel with stuff you'll never use.

Guru
04-02-2006, 08:55 PM
kccheifguru --

Try kmymoney. Should already be on your start menu.

Strange, it says it is installed but I am not finding it anywhere in my launch/start menu

SLAG
04-02-2006, 08:56 PM
SLAG --

Glad you got your broadcom working, but you can buy internal cards for about $35. They are called mini-PCI, and newegg has the Intel 2200 as well as others (drivers integrated into the Linux kernel). Nothing sticking out.

As for DVD tools, dvd::rip and dvdbackup work well. Don't forget lidvdcss. If you are installing wine, there are several guides to getting dvdshrink snd dvddecrypter working.

For scanning for wirless networks I guess use YAST. You can use iwconfig to manually set things up, but I've noticed SUSE really doesn't like when you do things outside of its config tools. You can't use kismet with a broadcom chipset, but there is a gui tool called kwifimanager built into KDE. I don't know if this will screw up YAST though.

I'd definitely second Simplex3's choice of Azureus. Best gui for torrent I've tried to date.

I did download dvd::rip and i ripped a dvd but it seems even more bulky and confusing to burn it. I am going to try a wine dvdshrink/dvddcrypter combination

I will try Azureus I was hoping utorrent would be out for suse but no,

Since my First test box i have installed suse on 3 other machines with no MAJOR issues, I feel like a pro at NDISWRAPPER now, I also found kwifiagent and it works execpt for letting me switch networks but I can Search but not Attach. no problem to do it with iwconfig/ifconfig.

any other tips tweaks and suggestions still wanted/welcome!

SLAG
04-02-2006, 09:56 PM
DVD shrink works well under WINE

SLAG
04-03-2006, 04:44 PM
heres what i need now as well i have done a basic search and not found any solid answers,

I want a gotomypc.com like thing.. so i can access my linux box from any internet computer but without having to install anysoftware on the client. any ideas?

unlurking
04-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Strange, it says it is installed but I am not finding it anywhere in my launch/start menu
Hit the KDE icon, Office, $ Financial. That should bring up KMyMoney.

unlurking
04-03-2006, 07:01 PM
heres what i need now as well i have done a basic search and not found any solid answers,

I want a gotomypc.com like thing.. so i can access my linux box from any internet computer but without having to install anysoftware on the client. any ideas?
I tunnel x windows through SSH. It does require you're client machine to be running Linux, or an emulator like Cygwin (very good/small x windows server product without needing the entire Cygwin).

Personally, I don't think you'll really need the GUI at all after you spend time with the CLI. I only use it when I need to download patches and such directly to a box and am sick of lynx.

I think you're best bet is just using SSH for CLI, and an scp for windows program (assuming you want to connect from Windows as an SSH client and the scp command are already available in Linux). For a good/free/no install (run .exe from desktop) SSH client for Windows, check out Putty. PSCP is available with Putty, and is a dos based file transfer over SSH.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

If you want a GUI file transfer (looks like norton file manager), check out WinSCP...

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

If using another Linux box, you can tunnel X windows very easily with the command...

#ssh -x targetipaddress

Then from a command line in the ssh client run "mozilla", and the browser will pop up in a new window on your desktop (or any application).

You will have to verify that you have enabled tunneling in your sshd.conf file. While you're in that file, disable root login, allow only protocol 2, set inactivity timeouts, incorrect login maximums, etc.

unlurking
04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
As far as other tips, have you noticed that Thunderbird is INCERDIBALLY out of date? Couldn't get any updates from the built in online updater in YAST. Several apps were like this.

This pissed me off more than you can imagine. Mainly because I feel like I'm kind of forced into using YAST (much prefer building packages myself).

I did find a solution, but I can't find the link. You need to update your sources, so you can hit more sites. I don't know how out of date the ones I'm using are, but so far they have had everything I needed. Since I can't find the link, I'll just paste an image of my source directories. PACKMAN seems to be considered a MUST from what I can tell.

unlurking
04-03-2006, 07:25 PM
OK, think I found the link of current YAST sources...

http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories

Simplex3
04-03-2006, 07:29 PM
OK, think I found the link of current YAST sources...

http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories
Check the last link in post #2 of this thread. Updated Java & Mozilla packages are part of it.

unlurking
04-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Check the last link in post #2 of this thread. Updated Java & Mozilla packages are part of it.
Ahh, didn't check it.

I had to figure this out a couple of months ago, and stumbled across some guy with links to OO2 and the latest Thunderbird stuff. Sorry for the repost.

Simplex3
04-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Ahh, didn't check it.

I had to figure this out a couple of months ago, and stumbled across some guy with links to OO2 and the latest Thunderbird stuff. Sorry for the repost.
No biggie. Who would have thought we'd be on page #13 already?

unlurking
04-03-2006, 08:15 PM
haha

yeah, I know!

I saw this after your first post and assumed it would die quickly (audience, not author).

I actually now to 30 posts per page, so only at 7 for me! :)

SLAG
04-03-2006, 08:47 PM
This thread will live on, we will all bump it in the future if we have a question Thanks Simplex for Introducing me to SuSe, I am going to reccomend it to anyone and everyone.

Rep

SLAG
04-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Anyone know of a VNC viewer for windows that doenst have to be installed instead of using the Java HTTP access to access the box

StcChief
04-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Anyone know of a VNC viewer for windows that doenst have to be installed instead of using the Java HTTP access to access the box

Slag
Not sure what these are,

I just googled it...Several VNC modules out there....of all types.

http://www.google.com/search?q=VNC+viewer&hl=en&hs=u5X&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&start=30&sa=N

SLAG
04-06-2006, 08:52 PM
My Laptop Mouse acts funny under suse, just very annoying, any suggestions?

unlurking
04-06-2006, 09:31 PM
I've got the same problem (ALPS driver), just been too lazy to switch to a default driver.

Guru
04-06-2006, 09:49 PM

Too bad 2 pages of that are Windows homers arguing with ya. Suse is better.

Simplex3
04-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Define "acts funny". Does it jump around on the screen, moves to slow...?

SLAG
04-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Define "acts funny". Does it jump around on the screen, moves to slow...?

Jumps around on the screen, all of a sudden after it jumps it goes back like 3 pages on the browser or will switch programs fast and not controlled by me when over the kicker

unlurking
04-08-2006, 10:19 AM
You have the same touchpad I do (or similar). It has an emulated scroll wheel that goes along the bottom for left 'n right, as well as the emulated scroll wheel along the side for up 'n down. Probably using the ALPS drive (check under YAST). I plan on switching to IMPS (which I normally use for touchpads), and will let you know if that helps.

SLAG
04-09-2006, 06:54 PM
How can I tell my resolv.conf file to automatically look for a the default gateway so i dont have to edit it everytime i switch networks?

Simplex3
04-09-2006, 08:47 PM
How can I tell my resolv.conf file to automatically look for a the default gateway so i dont have to edit it everytime i switch networks?
resolv.conf is your DNS server(s), so that might be your first problem.

Suse supports profiles, so you can have more than one set of complete system configurations that you can switch between. Look in YaST for Profiles.

yunghungwell
04-12-2006, 11:52 AM
I am deciding on the fate of one of these that I happen to have. How would it be as SuSE machine?

Thinkpad A21m (http://www.epinions.com/S0408321_IBM_ThinkPad_A21m_2628/display_~full_specs)

Is a 10G HD enough to create a dual boot machine?

Simplex3
04-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I am deciding on the fate of one of these that I happen to have. How would it be as SuSE machine?

Thinkpad A21m (http://www.epinions.com/S0408321_IBM_ThinkPad_A21m_2628/display_~full_specs)

I wouldn't expect blazing X-Windows performance but it should do just fine. I wouldn't go for dual boot, anything under 10G is a stretch for a Windows box.

SLAG
04-12-2006, 12:26 PM

64 Meg of Memory is Not Good, You need more Memory Way More memory.

SLAG
04-17-2006, 08:43 PM
:D

any Ideas-

I tried to Start in FailSafe mode

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7468/1463/0/Apr17_0001-749942.jpg

Simplex3
04-17-2006, 09:04 PM

any Ideas-

It looks like you have some retarded dude in your monitor.

Why are you starting in safe mode and what is this screen shot supposed to show?

SLAG
04-18-2006, 12:13 AM
It looks like you have some retarded dude in your monitor.

Why are you starting in safe mode and what is this screen shot supposed to show?

I was trying to start in safe mode because after I changed the Resolution the Keyboard stopped working in Linux.

When I tried to start into Fail Safe Mode then it froze and the Screen Lines went haywire..

Guru
04-18-2006, 12:23 AM

any Ideas-

Damn Emachines. ROFL

SLAG
06-10-2006, 10:39 PM
How are y'all doing Suse converts...

I'm loving it strong

just a few things... anyone have a good torrent reccomendation- ktorrent is ok but i'm use to all the features of utorrent -

also i am having trouble mounting my windows partitions on one of my machines if someone wants to shoot me a smoke to discuss more please do.

if anyone has any other questions i will try and help

Simplex3
06-13-2006, 10:22 PM
How are y'all doing Suse converts...

I'm loving it strong

just a few things... anyone have a good torrent reccomendation- ktorrent is ok but i'm use to all the features of utorrent -

also i am having trouble mounting my windows partitions on one of my machines if someone wants to shoot me a smoke to discuss more please do.

if anyone has any other questions i will try and help
Azureus rules the Linux-based torrent software.

http://azureus.sf.net/

SLAG
06-13-2006, 11:45 PM

I will try and check it out..

thanks

:thumb:

SLAG
06-14-2006, 09:20 PM

Azureus does Rule

:hail:

I'm Downloading the DVD installtion Disc now... of 10.1

You should edit your posts to show the updated stuff.

Wil this be a seemless upgrade ? will all my programs installed stay put? Will my Automatic SSH server and proxy servers still start automaticlly?

Just curious

Thanks Chris

Simplex3
06-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Azureus does Rule

:hail:

I'm Downloading the DVD installtion Disc now... of 10.1

You should edit your posts to show the updated stuff.

Wil this be a seemless upgrade ? will all my programs installed stay put? Will my Automatic SSH server and proxy servers still start automaticlly?

Just curious

Thanks Chris
First, my name isn't Chris.

Second, I wouldn't do the upgrade. I'd do a fresh install. I had better luck with the fresh install on my laptop. You could always try the upgrade first and see how it works out for you.

SLAG
06-14-2006, 09:28 PM
First, my name isn't Chris.

Second, I wouldn't do the upgrade. I'd do a fresh install. I had better luck with the fresh install on my laptop. You could always try the upgrade first and see how it works out for you.

I know

From the other thread it looks like i'm the only chris on this website

I'm going to try the upgrade on the laptop. first and see how it goes...

Simplex3
06-14-2006, 09:29 PM
I know

From the other thread it looks like i'm the only chris on this website

I'm going to try the upgrade on the laptop. first and see how it goes...
If you move around to different wireless networks you're going to love 10.1.

SLAG
06-14-2006, 09:34 PM
If you move around to different wireless networks you're going to love 10.1.

Yeah i'm going to have to probably redo NDISWRAPPER again... that was kind of a pain. or will 10.1 support broadcom wi-fi adapters?

Simplex3
06-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Yeah i'm going to have to probably redo NDISWRAPPER again... that was kind of a pain. or will 10.1 support broadcom wi-fi adapters?
Not sure.

However, I just finished firing up Xgl with Compiz. Man, that f**king rules. The eye candy factor is through the roof. I've already infected 3 die-hard Windows users here at the office and they all swear they're putting Suse on their home machines tonight.

For those who haven't seen it there's a video and some explanation here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl

SLAG
06-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Where do I get Linux?

Do us all a favor and use SuSE 10. It's stable, there is a commercial version, it has excellent hardware support, there's no good reason to not use it. The home page for the community (read free) version is here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Welcome_to_openSUSE.org

You want version 10. The download links are here:

http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version

I have SuSE installed, now what?

Here's a GREAT intro guide for Windows users. It will even help you get DVDs playing.

Here is another link that will help you get more up-to-date software and some packages that SuSE can't legally provide:

http://susewiki.apanela.com/goodlinks:yast_sources

Will i still have to do the Mp3 and DVD fixes/updates in 10.1 ?

Simplex3
06-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Will i still have to do the Mp3 and DVD fixes/updates in 10.1 ?
Not if you get the "Non-OSS Extras" CD.

Here's a new link:

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254/42

SLAG
06-15-2006, 11:27 PM

Here's a new link:

looks like the DVD is no-OSS

Guru
06-15-2006, 11:39 PM

Here's a new link:

Great link. thanks Simplex

greg63
06-16-2006, 01:21 AM
I d/l DVDLive, burned it to DVD and rebooted. When my machine restarted it booted into some form of DOS with an "A:\>" any ideas on what went wrong?

JBucc
06-16-2006, 07:57 AM
I don't have any problems with windows, but I'll give this a try just to see what it's like. My question is since I don't have any blank cd's right now, can I run the ISO's on a virtual drive? Otherwise I might have to get up to go buy some cd's.

SLAG
06-16-2006, 08:01 AM
I don't have any problems with windows, but I'll give this a try just to see what it's like. My question is since I don't have any blank cd's right now, can I run the ISO's on a virtual drive? Otherwise I might have to get up to go buy some cd's.

you could but its not reccomending..

You can try to Download the Live DVD to burn and then try it that way

Hopfully you have some DVDR's Laying around

JBucc
06-16-2006, 08:21 AM
you could but its not reccomending..

You can try to Download the Live DVD to burn and then try it that way

Hopfully you have some DVDR's Laying aroundOh Well. I'll just buy some cd's and do it later.

Simplex3
06-16-2006, 09:49 AM
If you have an nVidia or ATI video card I can't recommend highly enough that you try out Xgl. It is smoooooth as hell. :drool:

SLAG
06-16-2006, 12:09 PM
If you have an nVidia or ATI video card I can't recommend highly enough that you try out Xgl. It is smoooooth as hell. :drool:

since the laptop i have 10.1 on only has an INTEL video card... any other suggestions for that?

also can Xgl run on 10.0 for my Desktop that has the nVidia MX4000 PCI card in it?

SLAG
06-16-2006, 08:36 PM
also what would be a good music server app?

Simplex3
06-16-2006, 10:13 PM
since the laptop i have 10.1 on only has an INTEL video card... any other suggestions for that?

also can Xgl run on 10.0 for my Desktop that has the nVidia MX4000 PCI card in it?
I'm not sure what an MX4000 is, so I'm not sure. SuSE has a "whitelist" of know-to-work cards on their Xgl site.

It's said to work with 10.0 but it's known to work better on 10.1.

Simplex3
06-16-2006, 10:15 PM
also what would be a good music server app?
Depends on what your music client is, really.

If you're just looking to set up Winblows/Mac/Linux compatible shares then SAMBA is the only way to go. If you're looking to broadcast a streaming station then I have no clue, never tried.

SLAG
06-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Depends on what your music client is, really.

If you're just looking to set up Winblows/Mac/Linux compatible shares then SAMBA is the only way to go. If you're looking to broadcast a streaming station then I have no clue, never tried.

I will look into samba some more.... right now almost done setting up STEAM and coutnerstrike on 10.1 Via WINE

So far So good

here is a link to get started (Thanks GuRu)

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=HOWTO+Steam&back=HOWTO+INDEX+Wine+Games

Simplex3
06-16-2006, 10:30 PM
I run UT & Return to Castle Wolfenstein natively.

SLAG
06-16-2006, 10:32 PM
I run UT & Return to Castle Wolfenstein natively.

I take it those were not released under the GNU

Simplex3
06-16-2006, 10:43 PM
I take it those were not released under the GNU
No, I had to buy those. However, I feel good supporting games companies that abstract out the platform so they aren't tied to the beast.

SLAG
06-16-2006, 11:00 PM
Just heard of Nexuiz i'm gonna check it out

http://www.alientrap.org/nexuiz/index.php?module=downloads

I will have to look into getting UT and Return to Wolfenstein

Guru
06-16-2006, 11:35 PM
here is another one.
http://www.cubeengine.com/

Count Zarth
06-17-2006, 04:46 AM

Explain please. What's the game support like for linux? Can I play Madden?

Simplex3
06-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Explain please. What's the game support like for linux? Can I play Madden?
Go somewhere else. I've provided links to videos and descriptions of Xgl in action. And no, you can't play Madden.

SLAG
06-17-2006, 05:24 PM
I can play Counterstrike just fine with the Link I provided Earlier

Its great

Guru
06-17-2006, 07:13 PM
OK, this is driving me nuts. I have three sets of Steam install instructions for Linux and nothing works. I have the tahoma.ttf font in the windows/fonts folder. I have the moxcontrol dll installed. I have run STeamInstall.exe. Everytime I try this I get invisible fonts and a non-functional steam file. When i go to program files there is no steam directory there even after I run the steaminstall completely..

I have tried removing wine and reinstalling it but nothing has changed.. This is really pissing me off.

morphius
06-17-2006, 09:20 PM
OK, this is driving me nuts. I have three sets of Steam install instructions for Linux and nothing works. I have the tahoma.ttf font in the windows/fonts folder. I have the moxcontrol dll installed. I have run STeamInstall.exe. Everytime I try this I get invisible fonts and a non-functional steam file. When i go to program files there is no steam directory there even after I run the steaminstall completely..

I have tried removing wine and reinstalling it but nothing has changed.. This is really pissing me off.
I have been fighting with wine as well, haven't got anywhere with it.

SLAG
06-17-2006, 09:28 PM
I have been fighting with wine as well, haven't got anywhere with it.

what seems to be the issue

morphius
06-17-2006, 10:07 PM
what seems to be the issue
LOL! I will say that I just probably haven't tried enough honestly. I have had one piece of software act like it installed, but can't find it on the system. Other then that, everything else I have tried has failed completely, mostly for good reason though.

Guru
06-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the help Slag. Solved my problem.