PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Watson pimp thread

melbar
03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
We've got a couple of guys listed for discussion , how bout Watson? He would be perfect for a 3-4 nose tackle, but what about in a Grady Jackson like 4-3 position? He's 341 , takes on 2 blockers , has a nice bull-rush , and power to anchor in the run.
Needs better conditioning , can occasionally give up early. I just think with him possibly taking up 2 blockers that could free up our underachieving line to actually contribute. He's also a Monster against the run who impressed at the Senior Bowl.

milkman
03-26-2006, 10:22 AM
I think the universal concern with Watson is motivation.

If we were to land Hali in the first, then Watson in the second would be a solid choice.

But he almost certainly will be gone by our second pick, and I certainly don't care to use our first pick on a player with his work ethic.

melbar
03-26-2006, 10:25 AM
What I cant figure out is I've read both that he has had character problems in the past , and that he is a great character guy. He universally has graded higher than Bunkley who has only recently grabbed attention.

milkman
03-26-2006, 10:30 AM
What I cant figure out is I've read both that he has had character problems in the past , and that he is a great character guy. He universally has graded higher than Bunkley who has only recently grabbed attention.

I don't think Watson is a bad guy, he just hasn't shown consistency in his desire.

Bunkly, on the other hand, has never had his motor questioned.
People questioned his size, but he added weight, and didn't appear to lose any of his quickness, which is why he really began to move up.

Mr. Laz
03-26-2006, 10:40 AM
it's all about whether you can keep Watson from taking plays off.

IF you can keep Watson energy and motivation up then Watson is a top 10 pick.

melbar
03-26-2006, 10:47 AM
I dont like the thought of a situational player, but for a while we could play him in obvious running situations . I think the motor thing has everything to do with conditioning. I'm not sure how much you can do with a 340 pounder? :)

milkman
03-26-2006, 10:48 AM
it's all about whether you can keep Watson from taking plays off.

IF you can keep Watson energy and motivation up then Watson is a top 10 pick.

Yeah, but if you're an NFL front office, you have to wonder if a fat contract will be going to a fat lazy ass.

Mr. Laz
03-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Yeah, but if you're an NFL front office, you have to wonder if a fat contract will be going to a fat lazy ass.

*cough*Chester*cough,cough*

melbar
03-26-2006, 10:53 AM
But at 20 with Ngata , and Bunkley (who is graded lower) are already gone he could fill a DT need.

milkman
03-26-2006, 10:55 AM

That is who I think of every time Watson's name comes up.

Mr. Laz
03-26-2006, 10:56 AM
But at 20 with Ngata , and Bunkley (who is graded lower) are already gone he could fill a DT need.
man, i just don't know if using a 1st round pick on watson is worth the risk.

imo he is a 2nd rounder because of the high risk factor.

besides getting a 2nd round contract will keep watson hungry

milkman
03-26-2006, 10:57 AM
I dont like the thought of a situational player, but for a while we could play him in obvious running situations . I think the motor thing has everything to do with conditioning. I'm not sure how much you can do with a 340 pounder? :)

I agree that size affects conditioning.
Ngata's conditioning has been questioned, but not his desire, which is why he's considered a top 10 pick, and Watson has fallen down the board.

milkman
03-26-2006, 11:00 AM

You're best draft day scenario, if Watson is the guy you're targeting, is to trade down and pick up an extra pick.

Watson is low first round, second round material.

Mr. Laz
03-26-2006, 11:01 AM
I agree that size affects conditioning.
Ngata's conditioning has been questioned, but not his desire, which is why he's considered a top 10 pick, and Watson has fallen down the board.

to tell you the truth, i think Watson is actually BETTER than Ngata when he's playing hard.

but it seems like he takes about 60% of the plays off.

milkman
03-26-2006, 11:04 AM
to tell you the truth, i think Watson is actually BETTER than Ngata when he's playing hard.

but it seems like he takes about 60% of the plays off.

I think a lot of people, if not most, feel the same.

Gabe Watson is talented.

He's also lazy.

melbar
03-26-2006, 11:04 AM

Ya but Chesters first 5-6 years he was a monster. He was sliding downhill by the time we signed him.
I'm not saying that he's my favorite pick , but he is worthy of discussion. :shrug:

htismaqe
03-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Ya but Chesters first 5-6 years he was a monster. He was sliding downhill by the time we signed him.
I'm not saying that he's my favorite pick , but he is worthy of discussion. :shrug:

Actually, Chester wasn't sliding downhill at all. He was at the top of his game when we signed him and then he injured his back in preseason (I believe it was in Japan vs. the Packers). He only played 10 games that season and was never the same afterwards.

Mr. Laz
03-26-2006, 11:10 AM
yep, he is

makes me think of Shaun Rodgers picked by Detroit a few years back.

Watson is one of these guys that can really make your draft IF you can make it work.

i hope we draft a guy like Tamba Hali is the first and then maybe trade up a little and grab Watson in the 2nd.

imo having a high energy, quick twitch type guy like Hali on the outside with mountain-like Watson on the inside is a great combo.

melbar
03-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Thats my worry...the IF factor. We've swung and whiffed so many times in recent years. Its tough at 20 , but this is a deep draft. I'd love to get a CB at 20 and someone like Rogers at our 2nd. Who knows maybe the questions will cause Watson slip to our 2nd. I would definately take that chance in the 2nd

milkman
03-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Thats my worry...the IF factor. We've swung and whiffed so many times in recent years. Its tough at 20 , but this is a deep draft. I'd love to get a CB at 20 and someone like Rogers at our 2nd. Who knows maybe the questions will cause Watson slip to our 2nd. I would definately take that chance in the 2nd

I'd rather go Tamba Hali in the first, Richard Marshall in the second, and a guy like Oshinowo out of Stanford in the third.

Munson
03-26-2006, 01:17 PM
KC should stay away from Watson. The absolute last thing we need is another lazy, unmotivated, underachieving defensive tackle with "potential." Wasn't he benched for a while in his senior year at Michigan? He's got Ryan Sims/Junior Siavii written all over him. Even if he's there in the second round, KC should pass on him.

milkman
03-26-2006, 01:26 PM
KC should stay away from Watson. The absolute last thing we need is another lazy, unmotivated, underachieving defensive tackle with "potential." Wasn't he benched for a while in his senior year at Michigan? He's got Ryan Sims/Junior Siavii written all over him. Even if he's there in the second round, KC should pass on him.

The problem with this thinking, is that if Watson should fall to the 54th pick, he just has to much talent to just totally dismiss the idea of drafting him.

htismaqe
03-26-2006, 05:04 PM
The problem with this thinking, is that if Watson should fall to the 54th pick, he just has to much talent to just totally dismiss the idea of drafting him.

Yep. In fact, if he's sitting there at about 50th, I'd trade up...

Tribal Warfare
03-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Yep. In fact, if he's sitting there at about 50th, I'd trade up...

I still believe KC will get Watson.

It's the same damn feeling that I had with the DJ selection