PDA

View Full Version : Instrumental suggestions wanted

Nzoner
03-26-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm making a couple of instrumental cd's and need some suggestions preferrably from the rock genre especially progressive,I'd like to keep it at 1-2 songs per band.

Here's what I've got so far

Tocotta & Fanfare For The Common Man-Emerson,Lake & Palmer

Tubular Bells Part One-Mike Oldfield

Betrayal(Sorecerer Theme)-Tangerine Dream

Also Sprach Zarathustra-Deadato

I'm also adding some Satriani and Dream Theatre and a new one I just discovered called Earl Slick.

The site I'm using doesn't have Hocus Pocus by Focus so that's out for now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reaper16
03-26-2006, 06:36 PM
I'll get back to you with a list of prog rock instrumentals that I really like.

Along similar lines, some guitar stuff from Malmsteen, Satriani, and John 5 would be great.

trndobrd
03-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Pink Floyd has a lot: Obscured by Clouds is cool but kind of short, the latter parts of Shine On

gblowfish
03-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Pedro Says - The Connells
Matt's Hands - Vibra Kings
Hawaii Five-O - The Ventures

Bob Dole
03-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Some Apocalyptica is always good.

StcChief
03-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Jeck Beck - 1975 Blow by Blow the classic 'Freeway Jam'

Nzoner
03-27-2006, 03:53 PM
Pedro Says - The Connells
Matt's Hands - Vibra Kings
Hawaii Five-O - The Ventures

The site I'm using had neither of your top two available and I didn't really want any Ventures.Thanks for the suggestions.

siberian khatru
03-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Tocotta & Fanfare For The Common Man-Emerson,Lake & Palmer

Personally, I like "Hoedown" a lot better than "Tocatta." :harumph:

I also like "Romeo and Juliet" from the "Black Moon" album -- and best of all, "Mars -- The Bringer of War" from the Emerson, Lake and Powell album. That version is fabulous.

Probably not on your site (egads, they don't have "Hocus Pocus"???), but King Crimson's "Red" and "Fracture" are very good. "Red" especially. You'd like that, Joe.

Nzoner
03-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Some Apocalyptica is always good.

I opted for Inquisitional Symphony,very interesting,thanks.

Nzoner
03-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Jeck Beck - 1975 Blow by Blow the classic 'Freeway Jam'

Downloading now,thanks.

Nzoner
03-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Personally, I like "Hoedown" a lot better than "Tocatta." :harumph:

I also like "Romeo and Juliet" from the "Black Moon" album -- and best of all, "Mars -- The Bringer of War" from the Emerson, Lake and Powell album. That version is fabulous.

Probably not on your site (egads, they don't have "Hocus Pocus"???), but King Crimson's "Red" and "Fracture" are very good. "Red" especially. You'd like that, Joe.

Tocatta was the first ELP song I ever heard,9 years old lying in bed one Sunday evening listening to Beaker Street on my new transistor radio.

I'm off to check on your other suggestions.

HC_Chief
03-27-2006, 04:23 PM
How in the hell is Rush's YYZ not on this list?!

DMAC
03-27-2006, 04:23 PM
One of my favorites is Marooned by Floyd. Off Division Bell.

Over-Head
03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
"One Big Rush"- Joe Satriani

alpha_omega
03-28-2006, 12:36 PM
How in the hell is Rush's YYZ not on this list?!

This is the first one that came to mind...also...

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - Allman Brothers
Samba Pa Ti - Santana
Fire On High - ELO (excellent riff)
Drivin'South - Jimi Hendrix

...just to name a few

Lzen
03-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Something from your era :D might be Frankenstein by Edgar Winter Group. Man, I love that song every time I hear it played.

I'm curious as to which Dream Theater song you chose. I would recommend Stream Of Conciousness from the album Train Of Thought. Or The Dance Of Eternity from the album Scenes From A Memory. :thumb:

Lzen
03-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Song - Death Of Balance Lacrymosa
Artist - Symphony X
Album - V

Nzoner
03-28-2006, 06:25 PM
This is the first one that came to mind...also...

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - Allman Brothers
Samba Pa Ti - Santana
Fire On High - ELO (excellent riff)
Drivin'South - Jimi Hendrix

...just to name a few

Fire On High was at the top of my list but for some reason the site I'm using has every ELO album but Face The Music and I haven't been able to find it on any compilations either.

Nzoner
03-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Something from your era :D might be Frankenstein by Edgar Winter Group. Man, I love that song every time I hear it played.

I'm curious as to which Dream Theater song you chose. I would recommend Stream Of Conciousness from the album Train Of Thought. Or The Dance Of Eternity from the album Scenes From A Memory. :thumb:

I was going to with Instrumentology from the Budokan concert but I'll check your suggestions first.

Speaking of DT I just recently bought my first one Octavarium and have absolutely wore the title track out.

Lzen
03-29-2006, 10:32 AM
I was going to with Instrumentology from the Budokan concert but I'll check your suggestions first.

Speaking of DT I just recently bought my first one Octavarium and have absolutely wore the title track out.

:thumb:

chagrin
03-29-2006, 11:03 AM

Did someone mention Dream Theater?? My ears were itchin!

Good job Zoner! Now go on out and get yourself Secenes From a Memory and Train of Thought!!

Bob Dole
11-20-2007, 06:14 AM
The new Apocalyptica (okay...new in September) is worth a listen.

NewChief
11-20-2007, 06:35 AM
I know I always respond to these sorts of threads with an off site link, but here's a good thread on this:
http://www.last.fm/group/Instrumental+music+that+makes+you+feel/forum/28331/_/80374