PDA

View Full Version : DraftDaddy updated 3-round mock (3/28/06)

ct
03-29-2006, 02:13 PM
http://www.draftdaddy.com/MD/GJH_Mock.cfm

by Glenn "GJ&H" Bernardi

last updated: 03/28/06

ROUND ONE
==
01. Hou Texans ~ RB Reggie Bush, USC
Elite prospect in the mold of Tony Dorsett, but a much better receiver, and you folks down in Texas know what that entails.
==
02. N.O. Saints ~ DE Mario Williams, NC State
If Julius Peppers went #2 Overall at approximately 280 Pounds, and he did, don't think Super Mario isn't worthy of this pick at 295. But the Saints may try to trade down.
==
03. Tenn Titans ~ QB Matt Leinart, USC
Tough call. Could be Cutler and could be Leinart. When push comes to shove I'm betting Norm Chow lobbies for his former pupil and wins.
==
04. N.Y. Jets ~ QB Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
Pat Ramsey changes nothing in regards to a long term solution, and Chad remains a risky proposition. Cutler is a pocket passer with a big arm who translates well to the next level. If the first two picks fall Bush and Mario as projected, I think the Jets will sit tight, let the Titans choose between Leinart and Cutler, then gladly take the other guy.
==
05. G.B. Packers ~ TE Vernon Davis, Maryland
At nearly 6' 4"/265 and running in the 4.3's, and also a spectacular player, Duke Davis is arguably the best tight-end prospect to come down the pike since Kellen Winslow Sr.
==
06. S.F. 49ers ~ OLB AJ Hawk, Ohio State
The need is to overwhelming at linebacker to pass on Hawk in this spot. Arguably the Greatest linebacker in Buckeyes history, and that's saying a ton.
==
07. Oak Raiders ~ QB Vince Young, Texas
If there's anything Al Davis loves more than super athletes it's proving the wise guys wrong. Here he gets a chance to do both, draft an incredible athlete and hope the Titans and Jets will rue this day.
==
08. Buff Bills ~ OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Virginia
The Bills never planned on Brick falling to 8, but Marv Levy is old school and he won't let the value of a probable franchise left tackle fall to 9.
==
09. Det Lions ~ DT Haloti Ngata, Oregon
Shaun Rogers and Haloti Ngata would account for nearly 700 Pounds of beef in the middle. Good luck running between the tackles on the lions.
==
10. Ariz Cardinals ~ DB Michael Huff, Texas
Six footer, 205 Pounds, ferocious tackler, skilled ball hawk, runs like the wind, and can excel at Safety or Corner.
==
11. STL Rams ~ DB Jimmy Williams, VaTech
Lotta long faces in the Rams war-room when they miss Huff by one measly pick, but they regroup and select a very similar DB who's even bigger {6' 2"/215}, though he runs in the 4.4's and not the 4.3's
==
12. Clev Browns ~ DL Brodrick Bunkley, Florida State
There's a reason I listed Bunkley as a DL above, because he's strong enough to play some nose in the Browns base 34, would obviously play defensive tackle when they deploy an occasional four man front, yet quick enough to play some defensive end in the base 34 as well. I believe this is exactly the type of versatile D-lineman Romeo would have in mind.
==
13. Balt Ravens ~ DE Tamba Hali, Penn State
Ravens are in the market for a LDE and Hali fits the bill. This kid is a heck of a player and would be a very solid pick in this spot in my view.
==
14. Phil Eagles ~ OT Winston Justice, USC
If the Eagles lose Jon Runyon, Justice would seem like a no-brainer, and they still might draft him regardless because it's outstanding value and Runyon is not exactly a young man.
==
15. Den Broncos ~ RB LenDale White, USC
If LenDale White falls to 15 the Broncos war-room should be doing cartwheels, and that trade with Atlanta will have been a stroke of genius.
==
16. Mia Dolphins ~ CB Tye Hill, Clemson
As of this posting Miami desperately needs a corner, and Ty Hill is the fastest player in the draft at 4.3 flat. I think Saban would be thrilled if Hill falls to them here.
==
17. Minn Vikings ~ RB Laurence Maroney, Minnesota
Vikings have a ton of running backs, but none of them are any good. Maroney is a homerun hitter with nice size and has a chance to be a legit franchise RB.
==
18. Dal Cowboys ~ LB Chad Greenway, Iowa
Greenway has the size and strength to excel inside in the 34, and that appears to be a bigger need than an outside speed rusher which Dallas already has covered with DeMarcus Ware. Otherwise Lawson or Ernie Sims would be considerations in this spot. Greenway can excel outside opposite Ware as well, so this seems like a nice fit with an outstanding and versatile linebacker for Parcells 34 defense. Reminds me of Tedy Bruschi.
==
19. S.D. Chargers ~ OT Marcus McNeill, Auburn
See what eventually happened to Drew Brees when you keep pushing your luck with the Roman Oben's of the world? Chargers management saw it too, and they'll be darn certain to do everything in their power to prevent Phil Rivers from meeting a similar fate. Time to import a massive bodyguard with a big upside.
==
20. K.C. Chiefs ~ WR Chad Jackson, Florida
Blazing forty at the combines {4.32} solidified his status as the first wideout off the board, and he's 6' 1"/215, not a smurf.
==
21. N.E. Patriots ~ DE/OLB Manny Lawson, NC State
I can't think of a better replacement for Willie McGinist who departed for Cleveland. Classic DE/OLB tweener with blazing speed {4.4's} for a 240+ Pounder. Could be another awesome addition to Bill Belichick's 34 defense as a rush OLB. Very similar to DeMarcus Ware whom Parcells tabbed fairly high in round one last year. Lawson can also rush off the edge at defensive end when the Pats switch to a four man front.
==
22. Den Broncos ~ WR Santonio Holmes, Ohio State
Broncos have a good but methodical passing game, what they need is a homerun hitter like Holmes.
==
23. T.B. Bucs ~ OLB Ernie Sims, Florida State
Who better to succeed Derrick Brooks than yet another Seminoles assassin.
==
24. Cinn Bengals ~ DT Gabe Watson, Michigan
Bengals D-line is in need of a complete overhaul in my view, some cats who will not be pushed around in the trenches, and this 340 Pound Tackle is a nice place to start.
==
25. N.Y. Giants ~ OLB Bobby Carpenter, Ohio State
Giants linebacking core is a farce and Bobby C is exactly the type of ferocious LB they need. Ironically his father was once a nice player for the G-Men, RB Rob Carpenter, and if they liked his dad I suspect they will love the son.
==
26. Chi Bears ~ OT Eric Winston, Miami
Now that the Bears have found a QB, and I really like Grossman a lot, it's time to give him some weapons. But the first order of business is keeping him healthy, which has been a big issue thus far.
==
27. Car Panthers ~ TE Leonard Pope, Georgia
Bears and Panthers share two primary needs, tight end and offensive tackle. If the Bears take Pope I suspect Carolina would take Winston, and visa versa as reflected here.
==
28. Jax Jaguars ~ RB DeAngelo Williams, Memphis
How thrilled would the Jags be if Williams fell to them here? Can't draw it up any better than that. Fred Taylor is often injured and there's not much behind him, so DJ would be outstanding value at a position of need in this spot.
==
29. N.Y. Jets ~ DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley, Florida State
You can pretty much take the comments for Lawson to the Patriots and use it here for Wimbley. These two players are virtual clones and the circumstances are identical. New head coach and Belichick protege, Eric Mangini, figures to install a 34 and Wimbley is exactly the type of speedy college defensive end who can be a terror off the edge as a rush OLB in the 34. Another player in the DeMarcus Ware mold. As is the case with Lawson, Wimbley can also rush off the edge at defensive end when the Jets switch to a four man front.
==
30. Indy Colts ~ CB Ashton Youboty, Ohio State
Much like his fellow Buckeye alum Chris Gamble, Youboty has a #1 Corner written all over him and could be a heist towards the end of round one, assuming he lasts that long which is no gimmie.
==
31. Sea Seahawks ~ CB Jonathan Joseph, South Carolina
This is the second fastest player in the draft, only a tenth of a second behind Ty Hill at 4.31, and he's 5' 11" which isn't exactly a small fry.
==
32. Pitt Steelers ~ C Nick Mangold, Ohio State
Jeff Hartings will be 34 Years old this year and Mangold is a super blue-chipper. This is a perfect opportunity for the Steelers to secure their future at Center, and in the meantime Mangold can probably step right in and play some Guard.
==

2nd and 3rd round also on same page, I'll only recap KC's picks for summarization.

==
54. K.C. Chiefs ~ S Darnell Bing, USC
==
85. K.C. Chiefs ~ QB Omar Jacobs, Bowling Green
==

Mr. Laz
03-29-2006, 02:27 PM
not a bad draft for us ... but we really need some defense.

Mr. Laz
03-29-2006, 02:29 PM
dang... talk about a defensive run

09. Det Lions ~ DT Haloti Ngata, Oregon
10. Ariz Cardinals ~ DB Michael Huff, Texas
11. STL Rams ~ DB Jimmy Williams, VaTech
12. Clev Browns ~ DL Brodrick Bunkley, Florida St.
13. Balt Ravens ~ DE Tamba Hali, Penn State

Frosty
03-29-2006, 04:10 PM
If it happened like this, I would much rather trade down and take one of the corners (Joseph or Youboty) or linemen (Winston or Gilles or maybe even Mangold).

ct
03-29-2006, 04:47 PM
If it happened like this, I would much rather trade down and take one of the corners (Joseph or Youboty) or linemen (Winston or Gilles or maybe even Mangold).

agree