PDA

View Full Version : New Flaming Lips Album

NewChief
03-30-2006, 09:46 AM
I know some people that already have it via torrent, but I hadn't heard it until today. They have it uploaded and streaming at their website (http://www.flaminglips.com/main.php).

Listening to it now and digging it.

Cochise
03-30-2006, 09:51 AM
I'll listen this afternoon. I was just listening to Yoshimi at work yesterday. I really like that record.

NewChief
03-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Haven't made it through the whole album yet as it's an annoying interface where you can't stream whole album, have to choose each new track after the old one finishes.

So far it's pretty much post-Soft Bulletin Lips. Lots of ethereal wipes, drifting through space moments, soft love melodies, and quirky bubblegum sweetness. The main "newness" here is in the FUNK. They bring in some seriously funky heavy bass lines. Very cool.

Cochise
03-30-2006, 11:00 AM
That's cool. I like Soft Bulletin ok, but YBPR is the standard I think.

Miles
03-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Not sure what to make of this one yet.

Whenever I listen to it, many of the songs are annoying. Though the album gets stuck in my head easily. Definitly not what I was hoping for but its slowly growing on me.

NewChief
03-31-2006, 05:16 AM
Not sure what to make of this one yet.

Whenever I listen to it, many of the songs are annoying. Though the album gets stuck in my head easily. Definitly not what I was hoping for but its slowly growing on me.

I think it's one of those albums that will grow with each listen, similar to Wilco's Ghost is Born, which I didn't much care for at first. Part of the reason, I think, is that I have certain expectations based on my love of a previous album (in Wilco's case Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, in the Lips' case Yoshimi) and it takes me a few listens to accept the album on its own merit rather than comparing it to the other album.

Mile High Mania
03-31-2006, 07:01 AM
They were on Letterman last night and that was simply horrible... can't remember the song, something about "...would you do it...". The worst song I've heard in a long time.

Archie F. Swin
04-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Today's the day!!