PDA

View Full Version : What is an FTP server?

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 11:52 AM
A client needs to send me a really big file, and asked if I have an FTP server. What's an FTP server?

Rep to the first person who can tell me.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 11:55 AM
File Transfer Protocol... hold your site's files.

Otter
FTP = (File Transfer Protocal)

Just a server used for the storage, sending and receiving of files. No HTTP, JAVA, FLASH or any fancy GUI, just files.

ENDelt260
I bet you don't know how to use the three sea shells either.

morphius
File Transfer Protocol... hold your site's files.
What he said.

Mile High Mania
It's a file transfer server... but, that's about as technical as I can get for you.

Something like this -----> http://www.smartftp.com/

Bowser
03-30-2006, 11:57 AM
I bet you don't know how to use the three sea shells either.

Do I see a Demolition Man reference? Outstanding!

Hey! You're on TV!

morphius
You could use something goofy like this...

http://www.yousendit.com/

Cochise
They work in restaurants and bring you French tomato paste.

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Follow-up for you... File Transfer Protocol -- This is the language used for file transfer from computer to computer across the WWW. An anonymous FTP is a file transfer between locations that does not require users to identify themselves with a password or log-in. An anonymous FTP is not secure, because it can be accessed by any other user of the WWW.
That is a shitty, shitty, shitty definition. FTP is completely independent of the world wide web.

Mile High Mania
More techy mumbo jumbo...

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,290660,sid7_gci213976,00.html

File Transfer Protocol (FTP), a standard Internet protocol (http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci212839,00.html), is the simplest way to exchange files between computers on the Internet. Like the Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP (http://searchvb.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid8_gci214004,00.html)), which transfers displayable Web pages and related files, and the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP (http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid43_gci214219,00.html)), which transfers e-mail, FTP is an application protocol that uses the Internet's TCP/IP (http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci214173,00.html) protocols. FTP is commonly used to transfer Web page files from their creator to the computer that acts as their server (http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci212964,00.html) for everyone on the Internet. It's also commonly used to download (http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci211996,00.html) programs and other files to your computer from other servers. As a user, you can use FTP with a simple command line interface (for example, from the Windows MS-DOS Prompt window) or with a commercial program that offers a graphical user interface. Your Web browser can also make FTP requests to download programs you select from a Web page. Using FTP, you can also update (delete, rename, move, and copy) files at a server. You need to logon (http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci212499,00.html) to an FTP server. However, publicly available files are easily accessed using anonymous FTP (http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci211569,00.html). Basic FTP support is usually provided as part of a suite of programs that come with TCP/IP. However, any FTP client program with a graphical user interface usually must be downloaded from the company that makes it.

Bowser
They work in restaurants and bring you French tomato paste.

That will have to be Apricot flavor for Rain Man and his clients.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

John Spartan: [to machine on wall] Thanks a lot you shit-brained, ****-faced, ball breaking, duck ****ing pain in the ass.

Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined five credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute.

Skip Towne
03-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I think it has something to do with n00bs.

sedated
03-30-2006, 12:02 PM
forty tall people?
f*cking torn pussy?
first to potty-train?
fat totem pole?

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:02 PM
That is a shitty, shitty, shitty definition. FTP is completely independent of the world wide web.
It's independent, but that definition is not false. Besides, I didn't want to spend too much time looking for an outstanding definition -- this one was the first, basic response that came up and it serves its purpose.

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 12:03 PM
It's independent, but that definition is not false.

You're f*cking insane. That's a crap definition.

Bowser
03-30-2006, 12:05 PM
forty tall people?
f*cking torn pussy?
first to potty-train?
fat totem pole?

Freaking Twit Pissants?

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 12:07 PM
So....do I have one? We've got a Dell server, and we have VPN and stuff, but I don't know if we've got an FTP.

sedated
03-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Freaking Twit Pissants?

now, that just makes no sense at all

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:08 PM
So....do I have one? We've got a Dell server, and we have VPN and stuff, but I don't know if we've got an FTP.

If you have a website then yes, definitely. Probably not if you don't.

StcChief
03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Running which os Windows server XP,2000??? Linux???

To get a little info on 'how stuff works'
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/search.php?search=ftp%20server&fr=ch&page_ref=http://computer.howstuffworks.com/

Who setup your internet they should be able to help
Depending on the security need of the 'big file'

they could post it somewhere for you to download

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 12:10 PM
In NT they used to have an FTP service built in. You just had to turn it on. I have no idea if that's around in XP or not. If not, you could download a shareware FTP server program.

That's really more effort than it's worth for one file, though. You should take the yousendit suggestion someone posted.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:11 PM
I think he's asking whether or not they have a site set up so that someone else could upload a file to Rain Main's FTP site. :shrug:

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 12:11 PM
If you have a website then yes, definitely. Probably not if you don't.
Stop talking.

KCTitus
03-30-2006, 12:12 PM
There are public FTP sites available. We've used www.whalemail.com in the past.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Stop talking.

Read post 25. I think you might be misunderstanding what he's asking... or that could be me misunderstanding. Just having an FTP client wouldn't do him ANY good if he doesn't have some place to put the file.

And **** off. :p

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Read post 25. I think you might be misunderstanding what he's asking... or that could be me misunderstanding. Just having an FTP client wouldn't do him ANY good if he doesn't have some place to put the file.

And **** off. :p
Read post zero. The request is simple. All your posts in this thread have shown is a fundamental lack of understanding of the technology being discussed.

Mile High Mania
03-30-2006, 12:16 PM
It's a geek fight!

Bowser
03-30-2006, 12:19 PM
It's a geek fight!

ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
Read post zero. The request is simple. All your posts in this thread have shown is a fundamental lack of understanding of the technology being discussed.
Somebody's being a dick today. That's for sure.

I understand it fine, perhaps putting down in here (because I'm dealing with a million other things) is lacking, but I understand the tech.

But correct me if I'm wrong, seriously... if his customer wants to upload a file to Rain Man's FTP site, then an FTP client does NO good whatsoever if Rain Man does not have an FTP site, which is what you suggested ....

Nevermind, I just went back and reread your post (#24)... didn't realize NT had a built in server, I thought you were talking about a built in client.

:sulk:

sedated
It's a geek fight!

NERDS!

Cochise
03-30-2006, 12:20 PM
As someone else working in IT I will go ahead and cast my vote for FTP not necessarily having anything to do with the internet.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:21 PM
As someone else working in IT I will go ahead and cast my vote for FTP not necessarily having anything to do with the internet.
You're right, not NECESSARILY... but answer this: what is it used for primarily?

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Somebody's being a dick today. That's for sure.

Different from any other day, how?

I understand it fine

No, you don't.

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Nothing to do with... the Internet?

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Nothing to do with... the Internet?
I assumed he meant world wide web. Common mistake, using Internet and world wide web interchangeably.

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 12:24 PM
You're right, not NECESSARILY... but answer this: what is it used for primarily?
Read the definition MHM posted. That one is actually factually accurate while giving an example of a common use. Your definition doesn't even make sense, much less represent the truth. And your later assertion that web sites and FTP servers are inextricably linked is equally ridiculous.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:28 PM
When the hell did I say they were inextricably linked? My "definition" was a quick google search and copy and paste (like I said, I was busy)... my deepest apologies for not giving the best definition.

If you're referring to when I said if he had a website then yes, if not probably not goes back to my assertion that FTP sites are most commonly used for storage of website files. Notice the word "probably" in that sentence. Sorry, but that doesn't "inextricably link" web and FTP.

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 12:29 PM
If you have a website then yes, definitely.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:32 PM
If you have a website, where else are your files?

I guess, technically, you could link from other sites but I can't imagine anyone doing that for every aspect of the site.

Furthermore, if you host through anyone other than your own home computer, you have an FTP... if you're using your own computer to host, then (I believe, certainly could be wrong -- I don't know a lot about hosting) your own computer would act as your storage site.

NewChief
03-30-2006, 12:32 PM
If he has the file on an FTP server, why do you need one? You should be able to DL the file to your hard drive. Unless he's wanting to upload the file to your FTP server?

If all else fails, find a public FTP server. I think Titus or someone pointed you toward one.

Anyway, as others have said, there are other ways to go about this than FTP servers.

Cochise
03-30-2006, 12:33 PM

For transferring files between two PCs. Hell, I use it all the time, and a website never enters into the equation.

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Go read a book.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
For transferring files between two PCs. Hell, I use it all the time, and a website never enters into the equation.
You don't think it's primarily used for web stuff? I guess I underestimate the numbers of people that use FTP for file transfer from PC to PC... and I guess I overestimate the number of websites in the world.

Rain Man
03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
I feel like I just started an argument between two Cambodians. I can hear a bunch of talking, and I know that I started it, but I have no idea what's being said.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Go read a book.
Seriously, you don't have to be a jackass.

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:39 PM
I feel like I just started an argument between two Cambodians. I can hear a bunch of talking, and I know that I started it, but I have no idea what's being said.
ROFL That's funny!

Fire Me Boy!
03-30-2006, 12:41 PM
I have to go back to work anyway... I deleted my definition, because yeah, it was bad. That's what I get for copying and pasting without really reading.

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 12:43 PM
I have no idea what's being said.

It's okay. Neither does Fire Me Boy.

gblowfish
03-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Geek alert! Geek alert!!!
BTW: If you use a Mac, best FTP client is called "Fetch." Check it, works good.

Cochise
03-30-2006, 12:49 PM
You don't think it's primarily used for web stuff? I guess I underestimate the numbers of people that use FTP for file transfer from PC to PC... and I guess I overestimate the number of websites in the world.

For someone who wanted to be hyper-technical a moment ago about the definition of the WWW, it's kind of funny to see you wanting to blur all the lines back again under the banner of 'web stuff'.

I don't give a crap if you agree with what I think it's primarily used for. I didn't even say what it was primarily used for. I just said how I used it. I'm only familiar with it on a user level and I could tell that the way you described it was clunky at best. Just cut bait, you tried to look smart and it didn't work.

PastorMikH
03-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Just have your client post it on the Planet and then you can download it at your convinience. (That should help the server out):)

patteeu
03-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Are you sure he didn't say a "really big flower?"

I'm pretty sure an FTD server is the network of guys who deliver flowers around the world.

http://www.ftd.com/home/

Hog Farmer
03-30-2006, 03:32 PM
My hand smell like Boar Semen !

StcChief
03-30-2006, 03:49 PM
My hand smell like Boar Semen !

A visual to be avoided.... ROFL

ENDelt260
03-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Does boar semen smell different from human semen?

Hog Farmer
03-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Does boar semen smell different from human semen?

I refuse to answer that question in any other manner other than the fact that Boar semen really stinks.:p