PDA

View Full Version : Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime II

Bowser
03-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Let me start by saying Queensryche is one of my favorite bands. Geoff Tate's voice is amazing, their sound is diverse, and their songwriting is excellent. Operation Mindcrime was one of the first albums that I knew every word to every song on it. Very much an underappreciated rock band.

That being said, I have low hopes for Operation Mindcrime II. I think it was a mistake to have a sequel to Mindcrime. Mindcrime was close to perfect, imo, and there is nowhere to go but down for Mindcrime II. Their first song off that CD is called "I'm American". I've listened to it once, and didn't like it. It sounds like they have some weird speed grunge sound going with it, and Tate doesn't sound like himself. Tate has a strong voice, and it seems like he is trying to spit lyrics out, auctioneer style.

I'll listen to it a few more times before I brand it bad, and I'll definitely purchase it when it comes out. Hopefully that song and the album will grow on me.

Any other Queensryche fans out there? Here's a link to their page, if interested in hearing part of the song....

http://www.queensryche.com/

chagrin
03-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Love Queensryche, at least what they were before DeGarmo left, but even with him - Empire was the las good work by them, in my opinion. They hd two songs after that, that I liked buut I just gave up - sad but true.

Mindcrime II?

Sounds like another "Frampton Comes Alive II" episode, I am not even going to listen. Are they using Nicki again?

Nightwish
03-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Is DeGarmo coming back for this one? I had heard some rumblings a couple years ago that he was planning to return to Queensryche, but nothing came of it then. If he isn't in there, it's simply not Queensryche, in my opinion. Sure Geoff's voice is what most people recognize first as being the signature sound of Queensryche, but the songwriting and styling that made them great over those first few albums was primarily Chris. When he left, a huge chunk of their heart and soul went with him. They were never on the same echelon again.

Bowser
03-30-2006, 08:30 PM
Love Queensryche, at least what they were before DeGarmo left, but even with him - Empire was the las good work by them, in my opinion. They hd two songs after that, that I liked buut I just gave up - sad but true.

Mindcrime II?

Sounds like another "Frampton Comes Alive II" episode, I am not even going to listen. Are they using Nicki again?

Yep. He's been sitting in prison for 18 years, and is ready to take his revenge on Doctor X.

I won't bash them, not at least until I hear the entire album. Let's just say I'm dubious.

Bowser
03-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Is DeGarmo coming back for this one? I had heard some rumblings a couple years ago that he was planning to return to Queensryche, but nothing came of it then. If he isn't in there, it's simply not Queensryche, in my opinion. Sure Geoff's voice is what most people recognize first as being the signature sound of Queensryche, but the songwriting and styling that made them great over those first few albums was primarily Chris. When he left, a huge chunk of their heart and soul went with him. They were never on the same echelon again.

No, DeGarmo won't be touring with them. Apparently, he still contributes in one way or another to the band, and they list him as one of their "friends". Yet another reason I'm waiting until April 4th until I potentially trash the new album. Hopefully they are smart enough to remember the sound that brought them their notoriety.

When I saw them at the Uptown last year, I want to say DeGarmo was still with them. They put on a great show. It was the first time I ever saw them live, and it was worth it.

Halfcan
03-30-2006, 09:00 PM
I have seen QR three times. They put on a pretty descent show. The OMC tour was the best. Doing part two of anything is risky and usually fails. I havn't really liked much of the "new" stuff since Degarmo left.

Nightwish
03-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Doing part two of anything is risky and usually fails.Probably so. I can't think of that having been done in music very often, except with King Diamond, who made a sequel to "Them," (which in and of itself wasn't a very good album, and the sequel was even worse); and to "Abigail" (which was a great album, but the sequel was kind of blah). I'm trying to think if any of TSO's Christmas albums were continuations of previous ones (they were all pretty good), but I don't think they were, I think they were all stand-alone stories. I guess Rhapsody's albums continuing the Emerald Sword musical novel could be construed as sequels, and whether or not they sucked depends on how well you like Rhapsody (the Italian epic metal band, not the music downloading program), I guess. Sometimes they're hard to take, but the concept of those albums is somewhat unique and intriguing, as it's the first I've ever heard of anyone trying to an epic multi-book novel series using music instead of prose (imagine epic series like Eddings' The Belgariad and The Mallorean, but done with instruments instead of typewriters). But, I digress ...

Back to the point, I agree, most sequel albums are doomed to fail!

Lzen
03-30-2006, 10:33 PM

Mindcrime II?

What? U didn't like Promiseland? That was a great album, IMO. Buy yeah, DeGarmo leaving the band sucked. And I'm not really expecting much from this new album. I guess I'll reserve judgement until I hear it.

chagrin
03-31-2006, 12:30 PM
What? U didn't like Promiseland? That was a great album, IMO. Buy yeah, DeGarmo leaving the band sucked. And I'm not really expecting much from this new album. I guess I'll reserve judgement until I hear it.

Promisedland was aweful, in my opinion anyway. Just for the record, I didn't trash it ( :harumph: ) I typed in my first reaction after I read that post.

I am just having a very, very hard time believing that they could recreate that sound, maybe after all these years they don't need to, but wow...I just don't know. DeGarmo better be writing most of the tunes though, I know that.

Lzen
03-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Oh yes, I understand that. I saw Queensryche with Dream Theater and Fates Warning in Tulsa about 3 years ago. They were still pretty good, but it just wasn't the same without Chris DeGarmo. It was obvious to everyone that DT stole the show that night.

jlscorpio
03-31-2006, 03:38 PM
I saw them on the Mindcrime tour opening for Metallica in '88. They both OWNED. on a side note, this is the infamous concert trip where current planet member Herzig stepped on me the next morning, as I slept on the floor in our hotel. Good times, good times.

alpha_omega
04-01-2006, 06:57 AM
I am concerned about MCII being of the top quality that we all expect.

But, I will also reserve judgement until 4-4.

Interesting that Dr. X is being played by Ronnie James Dio.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Bowser
04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Bought Mindcrime II today. It's one of those albums that I'm going to have to listen to a few times to get into. It's not a bad album, just nowhere in the same park as Operation Mindcrime. They changed their sound considerably for this album, going from hard guitar riffs, to more keyboards and a lighter sound overall. While it's not bad, it's just not Queensryche.

I bought the album Tribe along with MC II. Listening to them back-to-back, Ryche should never have done MCII without Chris DeGarmo. His guitar riffs, along with Tate's voice, is what gives Ryche their unique prog metal sound. DeGarmo's sound alone makes Tribe a better album than MCII.

Like I said, it's not a bad album, just not what it could have been.

Kraut
04-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Mindcrime can't be duplicated in my opinion. But we will have to wait and see....

Reaper16
04-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Finally got around to listening to the sequel a few times.

It's not a bad record. It's just not OMGTHISISCOMPLETELYAMAZING like the original was. Perhaps the best track on the album is "The Chase" and that's because Dio is on the track. Maybe its a concious decision, with Nikki beign 18 yrs older and all, but Geoff isn't doing all of the Halford high pitches this time. Maybe Tate doesn't have the pipes to do it anymore; I guess I'll find out in September when the band performs both Mindcrimes live.

Nightwish
04-25-2006, 12:54 AM
I wonder if Dio will perform his role with them on the tour. That would be pretty awesome!

chagrin
06-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Just wanted to check in - after hearing it more than a few times over the past two months, what do you think? I still haven't heard it

Bowser
06-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Just wanted to check in - after hearing it more than a few times over the past two months, what do you think? I still haven't heard it

It's OK. And I mean just OK. To be truthful, I listedned to it a few times when it first came out, and haven't listened to it since. It just doesn't have the draw the original Mindcrime did. As I said earlier in this thread, I think it was a big mistake to not include Chris DeGarmo's guitar on this album.

Also I said earlier, if you have a chance, pick up a copy of Queensryche's Tribe. It was the last album DeGarmo was involved with, and is a better album all around than OMII, imo.

ChiefFripp
06-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Queensryche has aged poorly. Their sound was so '80s that they couldn't really mae it out of that decade without trying something new. Unfortunately after several times trying to update their sound, they have lost what people originally liked about them. This explains to me why they are trying desperately now to recapture all their old fans they may have lost these last 10 years.

chagrin
06-19-2006, 03:55 PM
It's OK. And I mean just OK. To be truthful, I listedned to it a few times when it first came out, and haven't listened to it since. It just doesn't have the draw the original Mindcrime did. As I said earlier in this thread, I think it was a big mistake to not include Chris DeGarmo's guitar on this album.

Also I said earlier, if you have a chance, pick up a copy of Queensryche's Tribe. It was the last album DeGarmo was involved with, and is a better album all around than OMII, imo.

eah, I heard Tribe already and thought it was okay.

Say there, Bowser, you might want to go back and listen again after these few months. I don't know, maybe I'm being obvious but aometimes I will shelve a disc I didn't like at first and then go back and hear stuff I didn't before, after the first impression had faded, and find something good or better than good out of it...?

Bowser
09-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Anyone going to go see the concert tonight?

Reaper16
09-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Anyone going to go see the concert tonight?
I had a ticket, but I had to give it up. Committements suck.

alpha_omega
09-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Couldn't make it...did anyone go...and if so, could we have a concert review please?

Bowser
09-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Couldn't make it...did anyone go...and if so, could we have a concert review please?

It was a great show. Almost three and a half hours long; both Mindcrime albums. Queensryche turned the show into a kind of "rock opera" deal, and pulled it off quite well. I wasn't a big fan of OM II, but the album comes across great live. I had my reservations about no Chris DeGarmo, as well, but the new guy did great. Geoff Tate has one of the best voices in rock, hands down. He doesn't hit the notes like he did circa Rage for Order, but he's still strong.

The turnout wasn't so great (mainly, I'm guessing, due to the Def Leppard/Journey show at Verizon), so the balcony was closed (which sucked since we were first in line and wanting an upstairs seat!). But it didn't seem to faze the band onstage with their sets.

Great show, worth the money.