PDA

View Full Version : Classic Mac Games on new Macs?

patteeu
04-03-2006, 11:48 AM
My parents are thinking about getting a new iMac. They've currently got an old Performa that runs Mac OS 8.1 and my dad has a couple of old school games that he really likes (Warlords and Strategic Conquest).

My understanding is that Apple has stopped including the Classic emulator with it's Mac OS X machines. Is there a solution that would allow my dad to continue to play his Classic games on a new mac? Does Apple offer the Classic emulator as a download or is there a 3rd party solution?

QuikSsurfer
04-03-2006, 06:29 PM
My parents are thinking about getting a new iMac. They've currently got an old Performa that runs Mac OS 8.1 and my dad has a couple of old school games that he really likes (Warlords and Strategic Conquest).

My understanding is that Apple has stopped including the Classic emulator with it's Mac OS X machines. Is there a solution that would allow my dad to continue to play his Classic games on a new mac? Does Apple offer the Classic emulator as a download or is there a 3rd party solution?

they will run under os classic (which comes w/os x)

QuikSsurfer
04-03-2006, 06:31 PM
oops.. classic is for running os 9 apps

SLAG
04-03-2006, 06:34 PM
DickSsmoker has no idea what he is talking about

patteeu
04-03-2006, 07:44 PM
they will run under os classic (which comes w/os x)

That used to be the case, but OS X doesn't come with Classic anymore. That's what I was trying to say in the OP. Thanks for trying. Anyone else have any ideas?

patteeu
04-03-2006, 07:45 PM
oops.. classic is for running os 9 apps

If Classic was still around, his games would work because OS 9 ran his games (circa OS 6 or 7) just fine.

QuikSsurfer
04-04-2006, 10:33 AM
The Classic OS is still supported and shipped in addition to OS X with PowerPC (but not Intel) Macs as late as early 2006 - looks like ur outta luck unless u pick up a mac built a few months ago :shrug:

patteeu
04-04-2006, 10:38 AM
The Classic OS is still supported and shipped in addition to OS X with PowerPC (but not Intel) Macs as late as early 2006

The iMacs are now on Intel. So anyway, I realize that Classic OS would have been a solution. Now I'm looking for a post-Classic solution.

QuikSsurfer
04-04-2006, 01:25 PM
best of luck