PDA

View Full Version : Macs Officially Do Windows Now

The Rick
04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Check this out:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Curious what the resident Planet geeks think about this. Personally, I think it's a pretty bold move. Here's the AP story.

Apple Launches Software to Run Windows XP

CUPERTINO, Calif. - Apple Computer Inc. on Wednesday unveiled new software that allows Intel-based Macs to run Microsoft Corp.'s
Windows XP software. Apple shares rose nearly 7 percent in early trading.

The computer maker said its new "Boot Camp" software is available as a download beginning Wednesday. It allows users with a Microsoft Windows XP installation disc to install Windows XP on an Intel-based Mac computer.

"Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple's superior hardware now that we use Intel processors," Philip Schiller, Apple senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, said in a statement.

Boot Camp makes it easier to install Windows software on an Intel-based Mac, with a step-by-step guide. It also lets users choose to use either Mac
OS X software, or the Windows software when they restart their computer.

Users can download the new Boot Camp software from Apple's Web site. A final version of Boot Camp will be available as a feature in the upcoming Mac OS X version 10.5 "Leopard."

Apple shares gained $4.07, or 6.7 percent, to $65.24 in early trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market, while Microsoft shares rose 23 cents to $27.87 and shares of Intel Corp. rose 9 cents to $19.39.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060405/ap_on_hi_te/apple_software_2

SLAG
04-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Damn you beat me too it

Simplex3
04-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Am I reading this right? This "news release" is that you can install Windows on an Intel machine?

Here's my question: if you just overpaid for the hardware so that you could run OSX, why would you f**k it up by taking off OSX and installing Winblows of all things?

I guess dual boot makes some sense, but jeez... why not just find a Mac app to replace whatever Windows app you think you need?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-05-2006, 09:05 AM
"When Deep Space Exploration wraps up, it will be the corporations that name everything"--The Narrator, or "Jack".

Saulbadguy
04-05-2006, 09:39 AM
why not just find a Mac app to replace whatever Windows app you think you need?
Games. Games. Games. Games. and more Games.

The Rick
04-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Am I reading this right? This "news release" is that you can install Windows on an Intel machine?

Here's my question: if you just overpaid for the hardware so that you could run OSX, why would you f**k it up by taking off OSX and installing Winblows of all things?

I guess dual boot makes some sense, but jeez... why not just find a Mac app to replace whatever Windows app you think you need?
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've got a PowerPC Mac, so I couldn't use this even if I wanted to, but at home, I don't think I'd bother. I'd rather find a Mac app.

However, I'm guessing this targets two markets: businesses and gamers. Businesses more than likely are the ones that have Windows-only apps for which there are no Mac replacements. Gamers are obvious, there's more games for Windows than for Macs.

Fish
04-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Just installed XP on the new Powerbook in my office. Took a while to get the Boot program to load correctly, but it's running XP right now.... looks good so far....

QuikSsurfer
04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Just installed XP on the new Powerbook in my office. Took a while to get the Boot program to load correctly, but it's running XP right now.... looks good so far....

pics? pb's don't have intel processors. you mean a macbook pro?

HC_Chief
04-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Smarter move is to license MacOS on PCs.... compete with Windows. Again, the $ is in LICENSING, not hardware.

StcChief
04-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Instead Apple's 90s version with a Motorola board to run Apple and
x86 board to run Windows and share files
between processors.

Friend had one to share with his apple fan wife (Education)

Fish
04-06-2006, 01:16 PM
pics? pb's don't have intel processors. you mean a macbook pro?

Here's my Macbook Pro dual-booting Mac OSX.4.5 and XP SP2. Works great other than ctrl-alt-del not working on the Macbook keyboard. I have to plug in a USB keyboard to log in. Other than that it works well...

Images are a little fuzzy, due to my crappy phone cam....

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9633/snap00248lb.jpg
Bootcamp OS chooser

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4420/snap00148pi.jpg
Seems odd seeing this on the Mac....

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/125/snap00225vo.jpg
Viewing some crappy website in XP.....

Nightwish
04-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Damn! What kind of loser website is that?

Fish
04-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Damn! What kind of loser website is that?

Warpaint Illustrated............

Boozer
04-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Works great other than . . . I have to plug in a USB keyboard to log in. Other than that it works well...

I love the GeeksPlanet forum. Where else would you see someone claim that everything's working great...except he can't get the thing to start using the integral keyboard. ROFL

Simplex3
04-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I love the GeeksPlanet forum. Where else would you see someone claim that everything's working great...except he can't get the thing to start using the integral keyboard. ROFL
ROFL

QuikSsurfer
04-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Here's my Macbook Pro dual-booting Mac OSX.4.5 and XP SP2. Works great other than ctrl-alt-del not working on the Macbook keyboard. I have to plug in a USB keyboard to log in. Other than that it works well...

Images are a little fuzzy, due to my crappy phone cam....

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9633/snap00248lb.jpg
Bootcamp OS chooser

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4420/snap00148pi.jpg
Seems odd seeing this on the Mac....

very cool.. play some F.E.A.R or Half Life 2 and tell us about performance :)

Fish
04-07-2006, 09:55 AM

:rolleyes: I'm sorry, were you showing off your dual-platform Macbook pro setup somewhere and I missed it? Yeah, shut the hell up........

I didn't note that I fixed the keyboard issue fairly quickly. There is a new driver set that allows for Windows keyboard shortcuts. It also provides a shortcut for emulating the right-click function in Windows, since the touchpad only has one button. There are also several utilities now that fix just the ctrl-alt-delete issue.

New driver set is HERE (http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Users/Drivers) if anyone is interested...

Boozer
04-07-2006, 01:02 PM
:rolleyes: I'm sorry, were you showing off your dual-platform Macbook pro setup somewhere and I missed it? Yeah, shut the hell up........

Something else you don't see everyday: "I'm a Billy Badass because I have a dual-platform Macbook pro setup and you don't. STFU n00b!!!1one!"

ENDelt260
04-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Mac owners just keep finding new ways to make me laugh. Gotta love 'em.

Fish
04-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Something else you don't see everyday: "I'm a Billy Badass because I have a dual-platform Macbook pro setup and you don't. STFU n00b!!!1one!"

:lame: If there was ever a proper place for this type of smack it would be in a thread in GeeksPlanet.... try again.....

Don't be talking down on my geek skills.... it makes you look jealous.... post some related information or go back to the romper room where this type of behavior is abundant...

And feel free to eat the corn out of my shit.....

Boozer
04-07-2006, 01:35 PM
KC Fish thinks I'm jealous because he's been online talking to babes all day.

http://www.fbcgalt.org/images/napoleon%20kip%20love%20connection.JPG

Fish
04-07-2006, 02:06 PM

Ummm... wow... that's weaksauce....

Boozer
04-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Ummm... wow... that's weaksauce....

You just installed a bloated OS on overpriced hardware and you're calling me weaksauce?

Douche Baggins
04-07-2006, 02:22 PM
:
Don't be talking down on my geek skills....

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

WHAT? WHAT? YOU ARE VIOLATING GOCHIEFS COPYRIGHT LAW! BAN HIM!

Fish
04-07-2006, 02:35 PM
You just installed a bloated OS on overpriced hardware and you're calling me weaksauce?

The State of Missouri is paying me handsomely to install a bloated OS on overpriced hardware dumbshit.... where is the problem here?

I'm posting information about some geek shit that someone else started and you start slingin shit. First you make fun of my post, then call me out, now you tell me I'm weak for getting paid to do what I enjoy?

Come on man.... you're making yourself look worse......

Boozer
04-07-2006, 02:37 PM
The State of Missouri is paying me handsomely to install a bloated OS on overpriced hardware dumbshit.... where is the problem here?

I'm posting information about some geek shit that someone else started and you start slingin shit. First you make fun of my post, then call me out, now you tell me I'm weak for getting paid to do what I enjoy?

Come on man.... you're making yourself look worse......

You might want to look at the tone of your own posts (HINT: defensive!) before telling others that they're making themselves look bad.

Fish
04-07-2006, 02:58 PM
You might want to look at the tone of your own posts (HINT: defensive!) before telling others that they're making themselves look bad.

:shake: You're just not very good at this are you.........?

Boozer
04-07-2006, 03:10 PM
:shake: You're just not very good at this are you.........?

If you think you look good in this exchange you're delusional.

It starts with a boast and a STFU in response to my observation:

Continues with another defensive boast about your "geek skills" and a request to stay on topic (N.B. This is still ChiefsPlanet. Relevancy is never a prerequisite for posting. You should know that by now.), topped off by parroting gochiefs

If there was ever a proper place for this type of smack it would be in a thread in GeeksPlanet.... try again.....

Don't be talking down on my geek skills.... it makes you look jealous.... post some related information or go back to the romper room where this type of behavior is abundant...

and then brought on home by a pathetic reference to your job. Yes, we're all impressed that you have a job. Have some pie.

Do you seriously think that these kind of responses to good-natured ribbing make you look like a grown-up?

Fish
04-07-2006, 04:04 PM
It starts with a boast and a STFU in response to my observation

An observation huh?

OK, Mr. Fancypants... let's see your beautiful flow of prose here:

OK... making fun of the technicality I ran into when I was working through the process that the thread topic was about.... doesn't really add anything positive to the post... a poor attempt at humor.... but that's not all that bad considering the nature of the website. So I tell you to shut up, and explain that the issue you were trying to make fun of was fixed. I explained a couple other issues that I had that were fixed as well. Then I posted a link to all the XP drivers one would need to do the process described in the thread topic...

Which you so maturely responded with...

Now you're trying to take the argument in a different direction, making fun of me personally.... and with no mention of me explaining that the issue was fixed.... farther away from topic, now you're just making a blatant shot and calling names.

Then you lay out this little gem....

Here's where your maturity really shines...... OK... besides not making any sense at all, you post a nerd picture too. To which I say is a really weak angle to take.

To which you respond..

So now you've given up on the name calling, because you couldn't do it correctly, and resort to attacking the thread topic. Which up until now you had no opinion of..... that shows a really clear direction in your posts..... To this I respond that it is my job to be a geek and I really don't care about you making fun of it....

Which you follow with...

So now you're telling me that I'm defensive? That makes a bunch of sense there too...

You start off making fun of my post, then making fun of me, then making fun of the thread topic.... and top it off telling me I'm not coming off as a grown-up..?

Please....

ENDelt260
04-07-2006, 04:18 PM
You should make a third partition and install linux on your Mac laptop. That'll show him.

Boozer
04-07-2006, 05:29 PM
You should make a third partition and install linux on your Mac laptop. That'll show him.

That would shut me up. But would the State of Missouri pay him to do that?

listopencil
04-07-2006, 06:00 PM

Fish
04-07-2006, 06:29 PM
That would shut me up. But would the State of Missouri pay him to do that?

Ohh for shits sake..... would you just start drinking already... it's Friday night...

ENDelt260
04-07-2006, 07:11 PM
How do you know he hasn't already?