PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help

joesomebody
04-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I've posted about this computer on here before but I got new parts in and I'm still having problems.

The last thought was that I had a faulty Motherboard. I went through two power supplies in a month, the second time the power supply and the motherboard fried.

I got in my new MOBO and Power Supply, upon hooking everything up, the computer wouldn't even turn on. Hit the power button and nothing.

I'm guessing that when the mother board and power supply fried, the processor went with it.

I just ordered a new processor, hoping that does the trick. Just to be sure though, if the processor is bad will it cause a computer to not power on? I don't know what else it could be. A computer will at least try to boot with bad ram, so I'm pretty sure thats not the problem.

DaFace
04-06-2006, 11:52 AM
A motherboard with no processor, but good power supply and mobo will still at least activate the power supply fans and front panel LED's.

No chance you have a power supply tester is there? They're around $20 and work wonders for problems like this.

I'd check your connections for your front panel buttons/LEDs and power supply connections if you're pretty sure your current PS is good.

If you have a major-chain computer store around, one thing you can do when you're testing for bad parts is to take advantage of their return policies. I live near a Staples, and I buy stuff all the time to test out a bad part, then return it within the 14-day return policy. Make sure you understand the policy, but it works well for me.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-06-2006, 09:26 PM
If you are a truly brave man, you can take your old "supposedly" fried PS and strip the wires of the "PS-On" connector (which is usually green" and any "Common" or ground connector (which are black).

The key is to strip the wires w/o having to cut them. then once you test it (and if it works) then you can wrap the bare wire with electrical tape.

Here is a picture of the pin layout for ATX.

http://members.csolutions.net/dougm/images/dell/plugatx.htm

From here, take a bare piece of wire and touch the two wires together, then plug the power supply in. If it isn't fried, it will power up.

ONLY LOOK AT THE PICTURE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN!!. The pic on the left is for a dell ps which is a non-standard power supply.

This might get you started.

joesomebody
04-07-2006, 08:11 AM
I just took the new power supply and put it in my old computer, which I knew worked. The Power Supply worked like a champ.

This made me think it was my new motherboard, and that it was DOA. Then I thought just maybe it was a grounding problem, so I switched the motherboard to my other case, hooked up the new power supply, and everything works absolutely great.

I only have one more question...

I have a 2 month old 3ghz Pentium 4 in there right now, but I thought originally that it was bad so I ordered a new processor which will be here in a couple days. The new one on the way is a Intel D dual core 2.6 something GHZ.

Which is better, dual core 2.6 or single core 3.0?

Thanks.

DaFace
04-07-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm no expert on this one, but I'd say go with the dual core. Here's a page with benchmarks (http://www.passmark.com/cpureview_pt6/index.htm) for various CPU's. Though they don't specifically list yours, a 3.0 dual core outperforms a 3.8 standard P4 in every test. Extrapolating that back down, the 2.6 D should outperform a 3.0 standard similarly.

joesomebody
04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Outstanding, thanks. I'll probably try out the dual core then. Is there any resell value on processors? The one I'll be ditching after I get my dual core is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116198

The new Dual core that should be here by Saturday is http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819116001

DaFace
04-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Is there any resell value on processors? The one I'll be ditching after I get my dual core is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116198

Looks like this eBay auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/Intel-Pentium-4-630-3-0GHz-800MHz-HT-LGA775-CPU_W0QQitemZ6863175789QQcategoryZ80143QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) for a used one went for around $120.

Vegas_Dave
04-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Outstanding, thanks. I'll probably try out the dual core then. Is there any resell value on processors? The one I'll be ditching after I get my dual core is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116198

The new Dual core that should be here by Saturday is http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819116001

Depends on a lot of things as to which will perform better. Since you have a 630 chip, you in some essence have 2 cores, just not 2 COMPLETE cores. If you are using 1 app at a time, I personally would say that the 630 HT chip will work better.

However, if you are actively using more then one program at a time OR have a multi-threaded application, then the dual core will perform better.

I use 640 P4's for my basic file servers here in my office, they work fantastically. However, my personal administration PC is a Athlon X2 dual core chip (which kicks the intel dual core in the teeth - hard).

I recently read a review online though where someone actually benchmarked dual core chips to their counterpart dual CPU systems (AMD X2 chip vs. 2 Opteron CPU) (Intel Pentium D vs. 2 XEON CPU). Surprisingly, BOTH Dual CORE systems won out. However, the Intel battle was closer with in itself. This is due to the memory controller. It is on die on the AMD X2 but for the Intel D, the memory controller is on the MB.

joesomebody
04-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Depends on a lot of things as to which will perform better. Since you have a 630 chip, you in some essence have 2 cores, just not 2 COMPLETE cores. If you are using 1 app at a time, I personally would say that the 630 HT chip will work better.

However, if you are actively using more then one program at a time OR have a multi-threaded application, then the dual core will perform better.

I use 640 P4's for my basic file servers here in my office, they work fantastically. However, my personal administration PC is a Athlon X2 dual core chip (which kicks the intel dual core in the teeth - hard).

I recently read a review online though where someone actually benchmarked dual core chips to their counterpart dual CPU systems (AMD X2 chip vs. 2 Opteron CPU) (Intel Pentium D vs. 2 XEON CPU). Surprisingly, BOTH Dual CORE systems won out. However, the Intel battle was closer with in itself. This is due to the memory controller. It is on die on the AMD X2 but for the Intel D, the memory controller is on the MB.This is stupid, but basically the only resource using thing I used my computer for is running two instances of Everquest at the same time. Everquest is by no means a 3D game with the lastest technology, but it is a resource hog.

Which of these CPU's would you suggest?

Vegas_Dave
04-14-2006, 12:29 PM
This is stupid, but basically the only resource using thing I used my computer for is running two instances of Everquest at the same time. Everquest is by no means a 3D game with the lastest technology, but it is a resource hog.

Which of these CPU's would you suggest?
To be honest, any of these 3 chips would work well. The game is not a mutli threaded game, so if you were running only 1 version of it, you would not notice a dramatic improvement, but a little (since on any of those chips, including the P4HT, the 2nd core can take care of the background).

I have never played EQ so I cant say for certain how much of a "resource hog" it is. However, if you are running 2 versions constantly, you would definately see an improvement with a True Dual Core CPU (like the AMD Athlon X2 or Pentium D).

My personal recommendation in that case is the Athlon. It is the better of the 2 dual core chips right now, partially because the Athlon core is superior in my opinion, but also because the X2 has its memory controller on die vs. the Pent.D having to rely on it on the motherboard.

Plus, if you are wanting to go to either WinXP 64 bit or the upcoming Windows Vista (native 64bit support), then the X2 is right now the better chip for this. I have several friends at Microsoft that have told me that this is MS un-official position on this matter. AMD does 64bit better then Intel.

I would also recommend having 2gb's of GOOD RAM. This is also especially recommended for Windows Vista.

dr00d
04-14-2006, 02:32 PM
I doubt you have a motherboard problem at this point...I'd assume the mobo is good and you aren't plugging something in correctly. However, if you'd like to keep spending money, then by all means...

Vegas_Dave
04-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Here is a good review of "low cost" CPU's thats worth looking at. They review several Dual Core (Intel & AMD) as well as single core chips.

Note, I have the AMD X2 3800+ that they show in this and can 100% vouch for their review of it.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2736