View Full Version : NBC Plants "Muslim looking men" at NASCAR event

RedDread
04-08-2006, 10:12 AM
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20060405195109990010&cid=

Updated: 08:16 PM EDT
NASCAR Furious With NBC Over 'Dateline' Segment
Story Targeted Martinsville Track to Gauge Levels of Anti-Muslim Sentiment
By JENNA FRYER, AP Sports

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (April 5) - American stock car racing's governing body called a network television news magazine "outrageous" on Wednesday, saying it tried to provoke anti-Muslim reactions from spectators at last week's race for a story about growing U.S. sentiment against Islam.

The National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing said the NBC network's "Dateline NBC" confirmed it was sending Muslim-looking men to a race, along with a camera crew to film fans' reactions. The NBC crew was "apparently on site in Martinsville, Virginia, walked around and no one bothered them," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said Wednesday.

"It is outrageous that a news organization of NBC's stature would stoop to the level of going out to create news instead of reporting news," Poston said.

"Any legitimate journalist in America should be embarrassed by this stunt. The obvious intent by NBC was to evoke reaction, and we are confident our fans won't take the bait," he said.

NASCAR grew out of the rural southern United States and its history of modifying street automobiles outrun authorities in transporting illegal alcohol. Because of its southern origins, NASCAR has been cricitized for its fans displaying numerous flags of the Confederacy from the American Civil War in the 19th century, an emblem many associate with racism.

"Dateline NBC" also has been criticized in the past. In 1992, it aired a critical story about fuel tanks on a brand of pickup trucks, using video of the tanks exploding on impact. However, the network later apologized for using toy rockets to ignite the explosion.

NASCAR is in the final year of a broadcasting agreement with NBC Sports.

"'Dateline' is looking into this story," NBC said in a statement. "We were intrigued by the results of a recent Washington Post/ABC News poll and other articles regarding increasing anti-Muslim sentiments in the United States.

"It's very early on in our newsgathering process, but be assured we will be visiting a number of locations across the country and are confident that our reporting team is pursuing this story in a fair manner," it said.

04/05/06 20:10 EDT

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

StcChief
04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
That's right Muslim's at a NASCAR race.....
...they wouldn't stand out in crowd.

Demonpenz
04-08-2006, 10:19 AM
i wonder if they were wearing dale earnhardt turbins

StcChief
04-08-2006, 10:22 AM
i wonder if they were wearing dale earnhardt turbins
ROFL

cdcox
04-08-2006, 10:24 AM
And picking a NASCAR event for this stunt has no basis in sterotype whatsoever.

RedDread
04-08-2006, 10:28 AM
They mention they're going to a bunch of different places, I hope they get a huge reaction at the GAP or something. ROFL

Rausch
04-08-2006, 10:34 AM
How do you "look muslim?"

jidar
04-08-2006, 10:42 AM
How do you "look muslim?"

You be middle eastern descent and wear a turban.

UKMike
04-08-2006, 10:48 AM
You be middle eastern descent and wear a turban.

Sikhs wear turbans

Sure-Oz
04-08-2006, 10:49 AM
I have a dale earnhardt turban

jidar
04-08-2006, 11:01 AM
I have a dale earnhardt turban

I'll one-up you with a Dale Earnhardt suicide bomb vest.

Bwana
04-08-2006, 11:08 AM
The national media steps in another yet pile of crap, huge surprise. :shake: Did Dan Rather go to work for NBC or what?

KCChiefsFan88
04-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Would NBC be doing this story if they still were broadcasting NASCAR races?

Doubt it

mikey23545
04-08-2006, 11:31 AM
From trying to manufacture hate-crime stories to attempts to engineer liberal election victories, just remember: The mainstream media is completely unbiased....

alanm
04-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Would NBC be doing this story if they still were broadcasting NASCAR races?

Doubt it
NBC has the Nascar broadcasts the 2nd half of the season. I highly suspect that the arrangement won't be renewed after this season though. :shake:

What a bunch of maroons. :shake:

KCChiefsFan88
04-08-2006, 11:42 AM
NBC has the Nascar broadcasts the 2nd half of the season. I highly suspect that the arrangement won't be renewed after this season though. :shake:

It won't be. NASCAR agreed to new TV contracts earlier this year and NBC decided to drop NASCAR.

gblowfish
04-08-2006, 12:13 PM
"Dateline" has a history of embellishing situations to make "news."

Frankly I thought it was a bit much when they clandestinely sponsored a car at Martinsville, driven by "Akbar Noswad Petty, Jr." just to stir up the locals.

And if that wasn't bad enough, he put Mark Martin into the wall!!

Damn ragheaded sand monkeys!!!

ChiefsCountry
04-08-2006, 12:48 PM

ESPN/ABC took NBC's NASCAR spot next year.

jspchief
04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
I think the outrage over this is a little overblown. This is no different that filming for reaction to blacks or fat people (both stories I know have been done by news magazine shows). It's not "creating news" as the article claims unless NBC didn't get a reaction they wanted, then staged one.

The only legit beef I could see is if they only targeted Nascar races or events in the South. That's certainly implying a stereotype, but let's be honest, if the shoe fits...

Sure-Oz
04-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Damn muslims and arabs.....oh wait...

Pitt Gorilla
04-08-2006, 01:01 PM
From trying to manufacture hate-crime stories to attempts to engineer liberal election victories, just remember: The mainstream media is completely unbiased....Manufacture? I think you may have misread or just didn't comprehend; the article said they were attempting to "Gauge Levels of Anti-Muslim Sentiment." That means they were trying to measure a phenomenon. If there was none, that is certainly an interesting finding. You do understand research, right?

big nasty kcnut
04-08-2006, 01:02 PM
the only way muslims were to get any attention if they wore shirt that say nascar blows.

Adept Havelock
04-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I think the outrage over this is a little overblown. This is no different that filming for reaction to blacks or fat people (both stories I know have been done by news magazine shows). It's not "creating news" as the article claims unless NBC didn't get a reaction they wanted, then staged one.

The only legit beef I could see is if they only targeted Nascar races or events in the South. That's certainly implying a stereotype, but let's be honest, if the shoe fits...

:clap:

And the shoe certainly appears to.

chefsos
04-08-2006, 01:16 PM

I call bullshit. We leave them Sunday goin' to church shoes in the truck afore we go watch racin'.

Actually, I think it's hilarious that nothing happened, which kinda makes this a non-story. Now, if Dateline had a guy in full good ol' boy gear jostle the "Muslim-looking" men so they could film it, there'd be cause for indignation.

Eleazar
04-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't really see why this is a big deal. Talk shows dress people up in fat suits all the time. Or they'll have an attractive and unattractive woman next to a broken down car and see who gets more offers of help.

It's kind of edgy that they were out to try and prove that Nascar fans are racists, but it speaks well that no one messed with them.

jspchief
04-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I call bullshit. We leave them Sunday goin' to church shoes in the truck afore we go watch racin'.

Actually, I think it's hilarious that nothing happened, which kinda makes this a non-story. Now, if Dateline had a guy in full good ol' boy gear jostle the "Muslim-looking" men so they could film it, there'd be cause for indignation.I wonder what the reaction would have been if Dateline actually ran this story and came out and said "everywhere we looked for intolerance for Muslims, we found none".

It reminds me of that show Black and White, where the black dad got pissed because the white dad said he never felt racism while posing as a black, and the black son said he thought his generation was color blind anyway.

Bootlegged
04-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Rob Lowe does a pretty good Stone Phillips 'tation.

listopencil
04-08-2006, 06:06 PM
:clap:

And the shoe certainly appears to.

The National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing said the NBC network's "Dateline NBC" confirmed it was sending Muslim-looking men to a race, along with a camera crew to film fans' reactions. The NBC crew was "apparently on site in Martinsville, Virginia, walked around and no one bothered them," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said Wednesday.

BigOlChiefsfan
04-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Nascar Reactionary (http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/nascarcf.jpg)

Truth in advertising (http://michellemalkin.com/archives/images/stuntmuslim.jpg)

listopencil
04-08-2006, 06:18 PM
NASCAR grew out of the rural southern United States and its history of modifying street automobiles outrun authorities in transporting illegal alcohol. Because of its southern origins, NASCAR has been cricitized for its fans displaying numerous flags of the Confederacy from the American Civil War in the 19th century, an emblem many associate with racism.

Unfortunately a lot of racists use the Battle Flag of the Confederacy even though the emblem never had anything to do with what they believe in. The same can be said for the burning cross. It was used as a sign in the clans of Scotland http://thecapitalscot.com/pastfeatures/crossfire.html . The KKK used it and now it's meaning has been perverted. While no one really goes about using the fiery cross as a legitimate symbol anymore, I and many other Southerners will still enjoy displaying the Battle Flag.

mikey23545
04-08-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't really see why this is a big deal. Talk shows dress people up in fat suits all the time. Or they'll have an attractive and unattractive woman next to a broken down car and see who gets more offers of help.

Damn, dude, if you don't know the difference between talk shows and news programs you should quit watching television....

mikey23545
04-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Manufacture? I think you may have misread or just didn't comprehend; the article said they were attempting to "Gauge Levels of Anti-Muslim Sentiment." That means they were trying to measure a phenomenon. If there was none, that is certainly an interesting finding. You do understand research, right?

That the best spin you got?

Just because they tried to manufacture news but failed, doesn't eliminate the fact they were trying....

Pitt Gorilla
04-08-2006, 08:22 PM
That the best spin you got?

Just because they tried to manufacture news but failed, doesn't eliminate the fact they were trying....Your comment is dismissive and doesn't really answer my post. I could care less about NBC or whoever. I do, however, have a background in research. What methodology would you suggest?

Eleazar
04-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Damn, dude, if you don't know the difference between talk shows and news programs you should quit watching television....

No... I just don't think the distinction between network news and the common talk show is as broad as you think.

Deberg_1990
04-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Your comment is dismissive and doesn't really answer my post. I could care less about NBC or whoever. I do, however, have a background in research. What methodology would you suggest?

If you truly think that all they were doing was "research" you truly are naive.

Id bet all the money im worth that NBC was praying for some rednecks to go off on some Muslims just so they could catch it on camera.

Chief Henry
04-09-2006, 07:48 AM
If you truly think that all they were doing was "research" you truly are naive.

Id bet all the money im worth that NBC was praying for some rednecks to go off on some Muslims just so they could catch it on camera.

Thats exactly what they were looking for...

I was wondering how the outcome was. Evidently the NASCAR fans didn't treat the Muslims poorly. I bet that just surprised the NBC people BIG TIME.

gblowfish
04-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Thats exactly what they were looking for...

I was wondering how the outcome was. Evidently the NASCAR fans didn't treat the Muslims poorly. I bet that just surprised the NBC people BIG TIME.
They could have saved themselves a lot of trouble and just followed around people wearing Jeff Gordon gear...I mean, if they're looking for hatred...

Ultra Peanut
04-09-2006, 09:24 AM
It reminds me of that show Black and White, where the black dad got pissed because the white dad said he never felt racism while posing as a black, and the black son said he thought his generation was color blind anyway.To be fair, Bruno probably wouldn't admit to sensing any racism if someone ran up to him and yelled, "Git, coon!" Nick, the black son, is just... painfully ambivalent about his life.