PDA

View Full Version : Axim X50

jollymon
04-10-2006, 04:52 PM
I just picked up a Dell Axim x50, no software, no charger, no nothing for 50 bucks on the street. Yes I know it is probably hot.

I would like to "reset" it by reinstalling an OS and all of that jazz in it and was wondering if I just order a CD off of Ebay will I be able to just "reset" the thing just like it was brand new or will I need to do anything else to it? Also I would like to know if those things have ways for them to be tracked or anything like that, in case it is "hot."

Any information anyone can offer about this thing would be much appreciated.

Jolly

Also if there is another way to "reset" the thing I would also like to know. By the way there is no contact information or anything in any of the menus I have found, so I am not completely a crook, just suspicious.

Pants
04-10-2006, 05:30 PM
Who cares? You didn't steal it and you can pretend you didn't know anything, tell them you payed almost the retail price to some guy who didn't want it. I don't think they can do much about it, but I wouldn't really know.

Fish
04-10-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm pretty sure if you let the battery go dead and leave it that way for a few days it will revert back to factory state. My old Axim did that..... and not because I wanted it too...

listopencil
04-10-2006, 09:32 PM
I just picked up a Dell Axim x50, no software, no charger, no nothing for 50 bucks on the street. Yes I know it is probably hot.

You could go to the police with the thing and whatever info you have. The owner would probably give you a $50 reward. Then you could save up for one instead of receiving stolen goods.

Rain Man
04-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Resetting the Dell Axim X50 Series Pocket PCs

A "soft" reset clears all open programs and "reboots" the Pocket PC. When the Pocket PC powers back up, you'll start with all active programs closed and the device ready to use. This procedure is intended to reset the Pocket PC if it is malfunctioning or has become bogged down. This reset is also sometimes necessary after software is installed. A soft reset is the Pocket PC equivalent to restarting your Desktop or Laptop.

The Dell Axim X50 and X50v can be soft reset by pressing the recessed button on the rear of the unit above the battery.

A "hard" reset wipes the RAM and returns the Pocket PC to its factory specs. In effect, the Pocket PC will be just as it was when you purchased it. All data entered, preferences set or software installed (other than ROM updates) on the Pocket PC after purchase will be lost after a hard reset and will have to be transferred or reinstalled via ActiveSync.

The Dell Axim X50 Series Pocket PCs can be hard reset by performing the following procedure:

With the X50 turned on, press and hold the power button at the top of the unit. While holding the down power button, use the stylus tip to press the "Reset" button mentioned above. Allow the screen to fade to off. Release both buttons. The unit will power back on and display a menu to confirm the hard reset request. The Axim will be hard reset, just as it was when it left the factory.

http://pocketpccentral.net/images/help/dellx50reset/1.jpg

Note: The Dell Axim X50 Pocket PCs have a feature that allows some data to be stored in the Flash ROM. If you have used this file store option, a hard reset will not erase this data.

QuikSsurfer
04-11-2006, 10:23 AM
lol
a buddy of mine got me a black 30gig ipod video for $75 :)

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-11-2006, 03:12 PM
lol
a buddy of mine got me a black 30gig ipod video for $75 :)

Pirating software from corporate money whores= cool

Ganking peoples shit and selling it on the cheap=

not cool.