PDA

View Full Version : USA Ranks Dlinemen

Mr. Laz
04-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Defensive linemen: Wolfpack's Williams leads charge
By Frank Cooney, Special for USA TODAY

Considering the dearth of top defensive line talent in recent drafts, it may not be a coincidence that more NFL teams moved toward 3-4 alignments. The 2006 draft may finally bring this drought to an end. T
he name of that end is Mario Williams of North Carolina State, who is expected to be the first of five or six defensive linemen selected in the first round according to early ratings by NFLDraftScout.com.

Williams, whose quickness off the corner has been compared to that of Julius Peppers, could become the first defensive end taken in the top five since Peppers was the second choice (by Carolina) in 2002.

While Williams tops a list of about eight defensive ends who could be named in the top two rounds, Oregon's Haloti Ngata is the best of a half-dozen defensive tackles whose names should be called just as early. Some scouts believe Ngata (NOT-uh) could be selected in the top 10.

Overall, it is a good but not sensational defensive line class. The best of this year's defensive line prospects:

DEFENSIVE ENDS

1. Mario Williams, 6-6, 289, North Carolina State

Considered by some to be the second coming of Julius Peppers, he has a rare combination of height, strength and athleticism. Started slowly but posted 11 sacks in three games down the stretch. Only 20, he started every game of his career. Still raw, but he's been dominant with just athletic ability. The idea of him also developing technique is scary.

2. Tamba Hali, 6-2, 267, Penn State

The Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and a consensus first-round choice. Lacks traditional height for the position, but plays with instincts, hustle and determination. Posted career highs last season in tackles (62), tackles for loss (17) and sacks (11). Was among the most effective defensive ends at the Senior Bowl. Scouts are concerned because Penn State defensive linemen drafted in the first round haven't panned out in recent years (Jimmy Kennedy, Michael Haynes, Courtney Brown).

3. Kamerion Wimbley, 6-0, 245, Florida State

Started only sporadically during his first three years, but came on in his senior year and shows excellent pass rush potential. One knock against him is that he relies on his physical talent too much and will take time to develop, meaning the team that takes him will need to have patience. Came back from a sprained knee to play in Orange Bowl.

4. Mathias Kiwanuka, 6-5, 252, Boston College

Noted for his explosive burst and ability to get to the quarterback. However, lacks strength and technique at the point of attack and is a non-factor in containing the run. Some also believe he needs to add bulk.

5. Ray Edwards, 6-6, 270, Purdue

With the trend toward the 3-4 alignment, his combination of size and strength intrigues scouts. Started slowly his junior year and was eventually benched in favor of Rob Ninkovich, which likely influenced his decision to go pro a year early. Has many skills, but may need time to develop them.

6. Victor Adeyanju, 6-4, 268, Indiana

Nigerian-born athlete is best defensive end no one is talking about. Ended college career with 43 consecutive starts, improving every year and every game. Last season posted career highs in tackles (47), tackles for loss (12), and sacks (6).

7. Manny Lawson, 6-5, 240, North Carolina State

Speed and athleticism have served him well. Reportedly has a 40-yard dash time around 4.4 seconds. Blocked the seventh kick of his career in 2005. Could be shifted to outside linebacker because some believe he is undersized against larger offensive tackles in the pros.

8. Stanley McClover, 6-3, 258, Auburn

Has been lauded for his speed and quickness, but some believe the junior's raw skills would benefit from another year in college. He has good tackling skills, but sometimes gets in trouble for being too aggressive.

9. Darryl Tapp, 6-1, 257, Virginia Tech

Blessed with good but not great speed off the edge. Emerged as a must-see performer who uses a little of everything to beat offensive tackles determination, quickness, strength, technique. Lacks bulk at the point of attack and is too often moved out of the way against the run.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

1. Haloti Ngata, 6-4, 336, Oregon

There are questions about his consistency and effort but not his strength. Double-teamed on virtually every snap, he alternated between brilliance and what seemed to be complacency. Rarely stopped by one player. 2005 was his most dominant season. First Oregon player since 1962 to earn consensus All-America honors, posting 61 tackles, nine tackles for loss and three sacks. Was recognized with the Pacific-10's defensive co-MVP honors.

2. Brodrick Bunkley, 6-2, 300, Florida State

Explosive interior defender who led nation's defensive linemen in tackles for loss. Came to Florida State as one of the nation's elite talents and emerged only last season as a starter. The defensive tackles he backed up Travis Johnson and Darnell Dockett were first- and second-round picks, respectively. Dominated early practices at the Senior Bowl but was inconsistent after that. No doubts about his potential, but some still doubt his skill as a pro.

3. Rodrique Wright, 6-5, 308, Texas

Has the athletic skills and prototype size for the position, but constant double-teams over the past two seasons have prevented him from posting big statistics. Was a consensus All-American with 47 tackles, 13 tackles for loss and 4 sacks, but is prone to disappearing for long stretches as well. Scouts intrigued by his quickness for his size.

4. Babatunde Oshinowo, 6-2, 302, Stanford

Noted for being strong at the point of attack, he can hold up against double-teams. Looked good at Senior Bowl; plays with discipline and a desire to succeed. Career totals include 130 tackles, 30 tackles for loss, and 15 sacks. Most of his success, however, came against weaker opponents.

5. Orien Harris, 6-3, 302, Miami (Fla.)

Posted career highs as a junior, with 55 tackles and a team-leading 11 tackles for loss. Added 11 tackles for loss and 3 sacks in his senior year. His size is exactly what scouts are looking for, but he sometimes has trouble taking on blockers.

6. Kyle Williams, 6-1, 295, LSU

Despite earning All-America honors and starting 33 games for the Tigers, Williams has toiled in the shadow of his former linemate, Claude Wroten. After Wroten's arrest for marijuana possession, Williams gained attention with good showing at the Senior Bowl. Career stats include 16 sacks and 26 tackles for loss.

7. Gabe Watson, 6-4, 341, Michigan

Ranks among the elite defensive talents in the draft, but weight and inconsistent effort could cause him to be drafted a full round or more later than his talent warrants. Benched for five games, including the Alamo Bowl, for his lack of effort. Dominated the line of scrimmage so completely during Senior Bowl practices, he was held out of plays. Scouts love his upside but believe Watson could be a tease.

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2006, 12:37 PM
I can just see the chant for the KC's 1st round pick

Hali! Hali! Hali! Hali! Hali!

Then Gabe Watson in the second

PBJ

Coogs
04-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Here is Gil Brandt's defensive rankiings from nfl.com...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9359993

Mecca
04-11-2006, 02:41 PM
I can just see the chant for the KC's 1st round pick

Hali! Hali! Hali! Hali! Hali!

Then Gabe Watson in the second

PBJ

So when are you expecting to have Tamba Hali's baby since you are obviously married to him.

Spicy McHaggis
04-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Victor Adeyanju would be money in the third.

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2006, 04:07 PM
So when are you expecting to have Tamba Hali's baby since you are obviously married to him.

Like DJ right :D

I'm good at this stuff

Mecca
04-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Cromartie>Hali

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Cromartie>Hali

watch KC will trade down and will either select Hali/Watson

Mecca
04-11-2006, 04:21 PM
If were under this impression that we're going cover 2, Gabe Watson doesn't fit.

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2006, 04:23 PM
If were under this impression that we're going cover 2, Gabe Watson doesn't fit.

Of course great one

Spicy McHaggis
04-11-2006, 04:23 PM

But a guy like Bunkley fits perfectly.

Mecca
04-11-2006, 04:26 PM
But a guy like Bunkley fits perfectly.

Yes, but I'm not sure he's even getting by Buffalo now.

Mr. Laz
04-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Of course great one
ROFL

Mecca
04-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Of course great one

Doesn't a response like that generally mean you have nothing to say?

Sfeihc
04-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Victor Adeyanju would be money in the third.

Spicy, I agree. Maybe a trade down from #20 and pick up an extra 3rd rounder or maybe more if a team really wants to move to #20.

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Doesn't a response like that generally mean you have nothing to say?

No it means every god damn suggestion I make which is very relevent you try to shoot down very damn time I post.

Ebolapox
04-11-2006, 09:50 PM
it's funny... both mecca AND tribal talk like they're professional f*cking scouts who actually make a living with this sort of thing... mecca thinks anyone who believes we should pick a DE in the first round is a crackpot, and tribal thinks that just because he was lucky enough to pimp the guy we got lucky to get last year (d. johnson), it means that any draft pick he pimps from NOW ON we'll end up getting... like the f*cking cosmos have alligned to fulfill his karma...

they're both smoking crack--honestly--NONE of us has ANY FREAKIN' CLUE who the chiefs are going to select, and NONE OF US has ANY FREAKING CLUE what it's like to even make five dollars by being on the payroll of a PROFESSIONAL football team, let alone being in the SCOUTING DEPARTMENT--and just because you pimp a player like he's your cousin, or if you tell someone else they're an idiot unless they think like you, DOESN'T mean you're ANY LESS IN THE DARK than the rest of us 'fans'...

-EB-

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2006, 10:08 PM
it's funny... both mecca AND tribal talk like they're professional f*cking scouts who actually make a living with this sort of thing... mecca thinks anyone who believes we should pick a DE in the first round is a crackpot, and tribal thinks that just because he was lucky enough to pimp the guy we got lucky to get last year (d. johnson), it means that any draft pick he pimps from NOW ON we'll end up getting... like the f*cking cosmos have alligned to fulfill his karma...

they're both smoking crack--honestly--NONE of us has ANY FREAKIN' CLUE who the chiefs are going to select, and NONE OF US has ANY FREAKING CLUE what it's like to even make five dollars by being on the payroll of a PROFESSIONAL football team, let alone being in the SCOUTING DEPARTMENT--and just because you pimp a player like he's your cousin, or if you tell someone else they're an idiot unless they think like you, DOESN'T mean you're ANY LESS IN THE DARK than the rest of us 'fans'...

-EB-

I like my crack in cereal

Mecca
04-11-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm saying Cromartie should be our pick right now, but of course during the draft that can completely change based on who's there.

I just want the Chiefs to take the best player available. I just give Tribal a hardtime because he's pimping Hali cause he wants a DE, I'd rather have the best player regardless of position.

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm saying Cromartie should be our pick right now, but of course during the draft that can completely change based on who's there.

I just want the Chiefs to take the best player available. I just give Tribal a hardtime because he's pimping Hali cause he wants a DE, I'd rather have the best player regardless of position.

The BAA, and I just don't see it as a CB in the 1st

Ebolapox
04-11-2006, 10:11 PM
I know, mecca--I agree with both you and tribal in some ways...unfortunately, as it's already been said, none of us has any freakin' clue who the best available will be at that spot, and none of us knows what the chiefs will do... also, fyi, the post I posted was nothing personal--just blowing off a bit of steam

-EB-

Tribal Warfare
04-11-2006, 10:12 PM
I know, mecca--I agree with both you and tribal in some ways...unfortunately, as it's already been said, none of us has any freakin' clue who the best available will be at that spot, and none of us knows what the chiefs will do... also, fyi, the post I posted was nothing personal--just blowing off a bit of steam

-EB-

It's all good, hell it's ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsCountry
04-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Just say no to Florida State players for the Chiefs. Name one of our FSU players that have done something.

Mecca
04-12-2006, 01:10 AM
Just say no to Florida State players for the Chiefs. Name one of our FSU players that have done something.

How many FSU players have we even drafted? It's a very small number...that would be like saying don't pick any Hurricanes cause we never have any.

Brock
04-12-2006, 06:48 AM

This makes zero sense.