PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Chains news

shakesthecat
04-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Just heard on the radio that the remaining memebers of AIC are getting back together for a tour.

No word on who would be replacing Lane.

Anyone one else hear about this?

DMAC
04-12-2006, 04:03 PM
From what I have heard jerry cantrell has a singer/friend to fill Staley's spot. don't know their name.

ChiefFripp
04-12-2006, 04:35 PM
These things never work out...
The only way this will somehow work is if Jerry sings the songs himself. I hope he can play and sing at the same time.

jlscorpio
04-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Jerry should just sing, his voice is pretty similar to Layne's anyways...

Bob Dole
06-04-2007, 09:56 PM
If Sebastian Bach is the best they can come up with, Bob Dole would prefer they just retired.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/chRyxiMLBZw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

Pitt Gorilla
06-05-2007, 12:19 AM
If Sebastian Bach is the best they can come up with, Bob Dole would prefer they just retired.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/chRyxiMLBZw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>Wow, that was terrible.

BTAU
06-05-2007, 12:36 AM
They will be opening for Velvet Revolver this summer

chagrin
06-05-2007, 11:14 AM
Good lord that is vomitous!

The list seems endless but here are two obvious ones:

1) His god awful fast warbling
2) WTF is Skid Row'd singer doing singing for a Grunge band?

it's just completely out of place and he sounds really bad.

Simplex3
06-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Dear God. I hope that was a trial balloon that went up like the Hindenburg.

I agree with the Senator. If that's where they're going I'd prefer they stay home.

GoTrav
06-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Wow, that was terrible.

ya, I'll pass

Nightwish
06-06-2007, 09:14 PM
These things never work out...
The only way this will somehow work is if Jerry sings the songs himself. I hope he can play and sing at the same time.I've seen Jerry twice, solo, on tour. He's more than capable of playing and singing at the same time. And even when Layne was alive, he and Jerry shared the lead vocal duties. I don't think they should find another singer, personally. They might do okay to add a second guitar, or a keyboardist, but really, I think they could probably get away with just doing a power trio thing.

Nightwish
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Good lord that is vomitous!

The list seems endless but here are two obvious ones:

1) His god awful fast warbling
2) WTF is Skid Row'd singer doing singing for a Grunge band?

it's just completely out of place and he sounds really bad.
I agree. What the hell has happened to Bach, anyway? Not only does his vocal style not fit with AiC's music, but his voice has gone to pot! That was some of the most off-tune singing I've heard in a long time! Honestly, if they absolutely must find another voice to compliment Jerry's, I'd vote that they go with the black dude who plays 2nd guitar in Jerry's solo band. I've seen him sing, and he's got a pretty decent voice. He doesn't sound like Layne Staley, but he compliments Jerry Cantrell. He'd give them two guitars and two lead vocalists.

GoTrav
06-08-2007, 02:11 PM
who's the dude singing with them on their site? http://www.aliceinchains.com/

Nightwish
06-08-2007, 06:24 PM
who's the dude singing with them on their site? http://www.aliceinchains.com/
That would be William Duvall, the same black dude I mentioned above who has been playing second guitar to Jerry Cantrell in his solo band. Looks like I'm not the only one who had the idea to have him take the lead with AiC. From that website, it sounds like that's who they've chosen.

LaChapelle
09-26-2009, 09:08 PM
25 threads in 9 years
what a mother fucking thread whore
3 in 2007, good thing you stopped before it got out of hand

KCWolfman
09-26-2009, 09:51 PM
It is William Duvall. He has sang on and off with them for quite some time, even when Staley was alive.

he is an Atlanta punker. Madfly was his biggest group, and pretty good.

Their website has a new tune on it with Duvall singing. Aliceinchains.com

I like it, don't compare and expect Staley, enjoy them for what they are.

Ebolapox
09-26-2009, 10:45 PM
so apparently, the man who's in the box is still buried in his shit.

KCChiefsMan
10-08-2009, 05:13 PM
the new AIC, Black give way to blue is the first album I have bought in whole in a decade.

It's not, I repeat NOT like the AIC of old. Nobody can top Layne Staley and I don't think that Duvall is trying to imitate him. This is actually a pretty good album, I like it. It doesn't have that same magic that AIC had with Layne, but for what it is and if you can get over what they used to be you may be able to appreciate this album for what it is.

chiefs1111
10-08-2009, 05:15 PM
yeah I like the album a lot

Taco John
10-08-2009, 11:53 PM
digging it... Definitely worth having in the collection.

DaneMcCloud
10-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Not a fan of the new album.

It's more like a Jerry Cantrell solo record, with an occasional texture from William.

Jerry was very cool with Pearl Jam on Tuesday night though!

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Dirt is one of the greatest albums of the last 25 years, IMO.

I've used "Rooster" as a pedagogical tool in class before.

KCChiefsMan
10-09-2009, 04:25 AM
Dirt

I've used "Rooster" as a pedagogical tool in class before.

that's pretty cool

shakesthecat
10-09-2009, 01:54 PM
25 threads in 9 years
what a mother ****ing thread whore
3 in 2007, good thing you stopped before it got out of hand

ROFL
What on earth possessed you to dig this up?

raybec 4
10-09-2009, 02:23 PM
digging it... Definitely worth having in the collection.

I bought it on Tuesday, it took me acouple of times around to get past Layne's absence but it is pretty damn good.

Miles
10-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Sounds like I need to pick this up.

HC_Chief
10-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Sounds like I need to pick this up.

It's pretty good. The first two songs sound eerily like old AIC.

I forgot it was out until this past week while in Seattle, coincidentally. :D

Fairplay
10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
I've used "Rooster" as a pedafile tool in class before.

:eek:

Gadzooks
10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
The order of greatness for Seattle bands from the '90s is as follows:
AIC
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Nirvana.

There... I said it.

Fairplay
10-26-2009, 06:48 PM
AIC
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Nirvana.

There... I said it.

Yeah thats about it.

Third Eye
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
AIC
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Nirvana.

There... I said it.

For me:
AIC
The Melvins
Soundgarden (Bad Motor Finger is awesome, but really the only one I love.)
Nirvana
Pearl Jam

Lzen
10-26-2009, 08:44 PM
AIC
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Nirvana.

There... I said it.

I like your tastes. I would definitely agree. Although I'm thinking there is a Seattle band or two that I'm forgetting here.

Lzen
10-26-2009, 08:46 PM
I just picked up this new AIC album last week. It is a very solid effort from a great band. The new singer is not Layne Staley, but he sure does a pretty good impression. And Jerry Cantrell's guitar work and vocals are as good as ever. AIC lost a part of the band when Staley died, but you can still hear the big influence of Cantrell in their music. I highly recommend this album.

Pitt Gorilla
10-26-2009, 11:49 PM
I like your tastes. I would definitely agree. Although I'm thinking there is a Seattle band or two that I'm forgetting here.It probably shouldn't count, but I might include Temple of the Dog.

Agree with the list, though.

KCChiefsMan
10-27-2009, 02:20 AM
I just picked up this new AIC album last week. It is a very solid effort from a great band. The new singer is not Layne Staley, but he sure does a pretty good impression. And Jerry Cantrell's guitar work and vocals are as good as ever. AIC lost a part of the band when Staley died, but you can still hear the big influence of Cantrell in their music. I highly recommend this album.

they really aren't trying to copy Layne Staley and I don't think that they are trying to be the band they once was. I think they are simply trying to evolve with a new singer. Layne Staley was one of a kind and they know that he could never be replaced.

KCChiefsMan
10-27-2009, 02:20 AM
AIC
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Nirvana.

There... I said it.

I can't argue with that

chiefs1111
10-27-2009, 02:51 AM
The more I listen to this new album,the more I like it.

Lzen
10-27-2009, 09:48 AM
they really aren't trying to copy Layne Staley and I don't think that they are trying to be the band they once was. I think they are simply trying to evolve with a new singer. Layne Staley was one of a kind and they know that he could never be replaced.

True. But what I was trying to say is that the music is still distinctly AIC music.

Demonpenz
10-27-2009, 09:54 AM
sounds like the old AIC which sucked NEXT

L.A. Chieffan
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
nirvanas higher up than pearl jam.

pearl jam is chick music

Gadzooks
10-27-2009, 11:08 PM
nirvanas higher up than pearl jam.

pearl jam is chick music

A valid argument, but I'd take chick music over shit music. (Oh yeah, I went there).

Gadzooks
10-27-2009, 11:13 PM
BTW - The Cure (chick music) is better than Bush (shit music).
... A fair comparison.

KCChiefsMan
10-28-2009, 03:17 AM
sounds like the old AIC which sucked NEXT

are you serious????

Taco John
10-28-2009, 03:43 AM
AIC
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Nirvana.

There... I said it.

Is this a list in order that we liked them, or in order of their greatness?

Lzen
10-28-2009, 08:17 AM
are you serious????

Considering the source, I would guess not.

Fairplay
10-28-2009, 09:48 AM
It probably shouldn't count, but I might include Temple of the Dog.

I'm Going Hungry.

Jawshco
10-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Yeah, I don't think Will reminds me of Layne at all. He sounds more like maynard to me. His lyrics aren't nearly as good as Laynes. They are way too typical stock rock lyrics for my taste. Worst of all Kinney and Inez sound so boring! Gone are all the cool drum bass breaks. I'm a huge fan of most of Inez's stuff, but this album has some of the most boring vanilla bass playing I've heard in a long while. It makes me wish that Mike Starr had been the guy with the low strings on this album. He may not have been as technically good as Inez, but always created an interesting sound, and that's what I'm missing the most from this album

Gadzooks
10-28-2009, 11:55 AM

Mad Season was also pretty cool for a second.

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I don't think Will reminds me of Layne at all. He sounds more like maynard to me. His lyrics aren't nearly as good as Laynes. They are way too typical stock rock lyrics for my taste. Worst of all Kinney and Inez sound so boring! Gone are all the cool drum bass breaks. I'm a huge fan of most of Inez's stuff, but this album has some of the most boring vanilla bass playing I've heard in a long while. It makes me wish that Mike Starr had been the guy with the low strings on this album. He may not have been as technically good as Inez, but always created an interesting sound, and that's what I'm missing the most from this album

I blame this on Nick Raskulinecz. The bass "tone" doesn't even have any "tone". It's just a wash of bottom end with no grit and no definition. The drums are stale and boring, especially the snare, which sounds like a bad 80's sample. The whole rhythm session sounds like he overused Beat Detective.

AIC was always a loose band (due more to the heroin than the players) and he "tightened" the album up so much that it doesn't have any vibe. I also don't care for the overuse of the Eventide Harmonizer on both Jerry & Will's vocals, which makes them sound undefined and washed out. Why use a Tele 251, Neve 1073 and an 1176 if you're just going to bury it with a harmonizer?

Jerry's sound is pretty cool but he's missing that nastiness of "Dirt" by stacking too many amps. The main amp is Dave Friedman's "Marsha", which is a suped up, custom made version of a Marshall Super Lead but with a master volume and 20 times the gain. It's a cool amp and Dave's a cool guy but I would have used Reinhold's 20th Anniversary Ecstasy more prominently in the mix because that amp sounds like Jerry.

Overall, I give this album 2 stars out of 5. It's a major disappointment.

Demonpenz
10-28-2009, 01:48 PM
matchbox twenty is due out too

Pitt Gorilla
10-28-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm Going Hungry.I'm going hung-gray-e-ay-e-aaaayy.

Demonpenz
10-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Say hello to heaven

HEEAAAVEEENEENNENEN
YEAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHH!
GLASS BREAKS IN THE BACK GROUND.
btw did anyone remember Hunger strike coming out and like the video had ants or different video then a year later it gets popular with a different vide with them on a beach? I don't remember if it was alt nation or 120 minutes but I remember 2 video's and I remember seeing it first then it going away then getting super popular like 9 months after sweet tits nerdy kennedy off of 120 minutes introduced it

DMAC
10-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Say hello to heaven

HEEAAAVEEENEENNENEN
YEAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHH!
GLASS BREAKS IN THE BACK GROUND.
btw did anyone remember Hunger strike coming out and like the video had ants or different video then a year later it gets popular with a different vide with them on a beach? I don't remember if it was alt nation or 120 minutes but I remember 2 video's and I remember seeing it first then it going away then getting super popular like 9 months after sweet tits nerdy kennedy off of 120 minutes introduced itEnergy drinks, munchos, and sunflower seeds again?

Jawshco
10-28-2009, 04:24 PM
I blame this on Nick Raskulinecz. The bass "tone" doesn't even have any "tone". It's just a wash of bottom end with no grit and no definition. The drums are stale and boring, especially the snare, which sounds like a bad 80's sample. The whole rhythm session sounds like he overused Beat Detective.

AIC was always a loose band (due more to the heroin than the players) and he "tightened" the album up so much that it doesn't have any vibe. I also don't care for the overuse of the Eventide Harmonizer on both Jerry & Will's vocals, which makes them sound undefined and washed out. Why use a Tele 251, Neve 1073 and an 1176 if you're just going to bury it with a harmonizer?

Jerry's sound is pretty cool but he's missing that nastiness of "Dirt" by stacking too many amps. The main amp is Dave Friedman's "Marsha", which is a suped up, custom made version of a Marshall Super Lead but with a master volume and 20 times the gain. It's a cool amp and Dave's a cool guy but I would have used Reinhold's 20th Anniversary Ecstasy more prominently in the mix because that amp sounds like Jerry.

Overall, I give this album 2 stars out of 5. It's a major disappointment.

How do you know he's using the Eventide Harmonizer? I usually like that sound. I think the drum and bass work is just plain uninspired. No, sound mix can make up for that.

Demonpenz
10-28-2009, 04:27 PM
When I am producing I usuaully have a raptor peavy guitar with a line 6 spider

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2009, 04:49 PM
How do you know he's using the Eventide Harmonizer? I usually like that sound. I think the drum and bass work is just plain uninspired. No, sound mix can make up for that.

Uh...

Honestly, he (Nick) just used too much Beat Detective to make everything in perfect time and the record lost its soul.

Gadzooks
10-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Uh...

Honestly, he (Nick) just used too much Beat Detective to make everything in perfect time and the record lost its soul.

How do you know what amps Jerry used? Is it in an article or somthing?!?

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2009, 11:39 PM
How do you know what amps Jerry used? Is it in an article or somthing?!?

I wouldn't know about any article.

:D

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2009, 11:41 PM
When I am producing I usuaully have a raptor peavy guitar with a line 6 spider

That's an industry insider's secret.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-28-2009, 11:45 PM

They absolutely count, and the band that everyone forgot was Mother Love Bone. Before he died of a heroin overdose, Andrew Wood was Pearl Jam's front man. It was when he died Eddie Vedder joined the group and Mookie Blaylock was born.

The band none of you ever heard of, but should've is a band out of Kennewick, WA called Small. They had an MTV commercial and were about to pop when they fucking broke up. I don't think it would even be possible, but if anyone finds their album "Friends" I will pay you for the link to either buy it, or download. I miss it dearly.

Demonpenz
10-28-2009, 11:49 PM
That's an industry insider's secret.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

LMAO

DaneMcCloud
10-28-2009, 11:52 PM
They absolutely count, and the band that everyone forgot was Mother Love Bone. Before he died of a heroin overdose, Andrew Wood was Pearl Jam's front man. It was when he died Eddie Vedder joined the group and Mookie Blaylock was born.

The band none of you ever heard of, but should've is a band out of Kennewick, WA called Small. They had an MTV commercial and were about to pop when they fucking broke up. I don't think it would even be possible, but if anyone finds their album "Friends" I will pay you for the link to either buy it, or download. I miss it dearly.

Dude, I SAW Temple of the Dog two weeks ago at the Gibson Amphitheater!

Pearl Jam had just concluded an amazing two hour set (I'm not kidding - Eddie Vedder was just unreal) and Chris Cornell joined them onstage for "Hunger Strike"!!!

"Temple" was my favorite album of the 90's, bar none. And I really dug Love Bone as well.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Dude, I SAW Temple of the Dog two weeks ago at the Gibson Amphitheater!

Pearl Jam had just concluded an amazing two hour set (I'm not kidding - Eddie Vedder was just unreal) and Chris Cornell joined them onstage for "Hunger Strike"!!!

"Temple" was my favorite album of the 90's, bar none. And I really dug Love Bone as well.

I got chills dude. That would be epic. Like going and seeing Griffey again in a Mariners uniform epic. I grew up with all of it. It was hands down the best time to go grow up in Seattle of all time. These bands played in Seattle parks and house parties before they hit it big. It was nuts.

Demonpenz
10-29-2009, 04:55 PM
I heard cornells pipes are what they used to be but that would have been epic. You would not believe how large pearl jam was to my entire high school back in the 90's i am 28 but man I had all their shit when i was like 16. Had my dad playing the versus tape in his astro van, even he liked it. I mean fuck we would by the single tape just to get songs like dirty frank and yellow ledbetter.

DaneMcCloud
10-29-2009, 11:49 PM
I heard cornells pipes are what they used to be but that would have been epic. You would not believe how large pearl jam was to my entire high school back in the 90's i am 28 but man I had all their shit when i was like 16. Had my dad playing the versus tape in his astro van, even he liked it. I mean fuck we would by the single tape just to get songs like dirty frank and yellow ledbetter.

Cornell's voice was awesome. He's been training again with a Jewish Canter (the same one he trained with during the SuperUnknown tour) and he was incredible.

But, Eddie Vedder was just unreal. The guy is SOOO dynamic. He can scream and whisper in 2 seconds flat. He is such an energetic yet emotional singer.

I prefer Cornell's style but Vedder is no less than amazing. He's truly a national treasure.

Pitt Gorilla
10-30-2009, 11:00 PM
AIC on Conan tonight.