PDA

View Full Version : Hamas 'willing' to recognise Israel

Eye Patch
04-12-2006, 04:37 PM
The question is will Israel agree to it based on the conditions?

Hamas 'willing' to recognise Israel
By Khalid Amayreh in the West Bank

Wednesday 12 April 2006, 17:43 Makka Time, 14:43 GMT

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/254A8588-3089-495E-9D54-FE87479080DB.htm

The Hamas-led Palestinian government is willing to recognise Israel if the latter withdraws fully from West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza Strip, Al Jazeera. net has reliably learnt.

Sources close to Ismail Haniya, the Palestinian prime minister, described the Hamas decision as a "significant change in policy".

"What it means is that the Palestinian government is willing to recognise Israel if Israel met certain conditions, including a complete withdrawal from the territories Israel occupied in 1967," a source told Al Jazeera.net on Wednesday.

Speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to speak to the media, the source added that he expected the "new posture" to be announced officially by Haniya in the coming few days.

The Hamas-led government is coming under intense international pressure to recognise Israel, abandon armed resistance and accept outstanding agreements between the Palestinian Authority and Israel.

If true, the new development will constitute a significant departure from Hamas' dogged refusal to accept Israel's right to exist.

Hamas' officials and spokespersons in the West Bank have refused to comment on the movement's willingness to recognise Israel in return for a viable Palestinian state on 100% of the occupied territories.

Dave Lane
04-12-2006, 04:40 PM
This is exactly what happens when an organization achieves some power and prestige. The first thing they do is subvert all the views they used to hold in order to try to maintain and increase their sphere of influence.

Dave

jiveturkey
04-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Interesting.

Once Hamas said "we will recognize Israel..." someone should have interupted and started clapping and screaming.

Never let them get to the "if" portion of the statement.

Eye Patch
04-12-2006, 04:42 PM
This is exactly what happens when an organization achieves some power and prestige. The first thing they do is subvert all the views they used to hold in order to try to maintain and increase their sphere of influence.

Dave

Not to mention all the money from the West.

banyon
04-12-2006, 04:46 PM
'Hamas' Jenkins?

I was wondering when he'd finally get around to recognizing Israel.
:p

Dave Lane
04-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Exactly. It why I'd have gotten Hamas into the mainstream as soon as I could to get them nuetralized

Dave

patteeu
04-12-2006, 05:44 PM
This is a long way from being a dramatic breakthrough.

Adept Havelock
04-12-2006, 05:53 PM
It's a beginning. Only a beginning. I'll need to see something beyond rhetoic before I get too excited. Even with that qualification, I do think it's a good first step.

patteeu
04-12-2006, 06:06 PM
It's a beginning. Only a beginning. I'll need to see something beyond rhetoic before I get too excited. Even with that qualification, I do think it's a good first step.

Yes, it *is* a first step. Far to early to remove the pressure the US, Israel, and Europe have applied though, IMO.

Adept Havelock
04-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Yes, it *is* a first step. Far to early to remove the pressure the US, Israel, and Europe have applied though, IMO.

I'll second that. If we can find a third, perhaps the motion will be carried! :hmmm: Do we need a third? I'm a but rusty when it comes to Robert's Rules of Order. Thankfully, I've not had to chair a meeting in a long time. :toast:

Dave Lane
04-12-2006, 10:49 PM
We have a second its time for a vote...

Dave

Pitt Gorilla
04-12-2006, 11:24 PM
This is great until they change their minds and demand more stuff.

Eye Patch
04-13-2006, 09:48 AM
There will be no peace until the Palestinians love their children more than they hate the Israelis.

Mr. Laz
04-13-2006, 11:35 AM
haven't they reconized Israel simply by making such an offer.

it's all crap ... they have always reconized them, they just didn't like them.

the whole lot of them are punks

Chief Faithful
04-13-2006, 04:06 PM
So I guess this means Hamas is taking the same position previously held by Yassar Arafat. Every thing is back at the beginning.

go bowe
04-14-2006, 02:15 PM
So I guess this means Hamas is taking the same position previously held by Yassar Arafat. Every thing is back at the beginning.old yassar didn't do very well negotiating with the israelis, judging from the state of his headquarters compound in ramallah over the past several years (i.e., the fact that the compound was full of bullet holes and the like and the fact that arafat was a virtual prisoner in his own headquarters)...

but if this turns out to be true, it would mark a seachange in the position hamas has always taken before...

Chief Faithful
04-14-2006, 02:24 PM
old yassar didn't do very well negotiating with the israelis, judging from the state of his headquarters compound in ramallah over the past several years (i.e., the fact that the compound was full of bullet holes and the like and the fact that arafat was a virtual prisoner in his own headquarters)...

but if this turns out to be true, it would mark a seachange in the position hamas has always taken before...

You are right it is a "seachange" for Hamas, but it is still a position known to be unacceptable to Israel. It makes them look more moderate while in principle there no change to their stance on anything at all.

alanm
04-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Not to mention all the money from the West.
Bingo, Their broke. As long as the money comes in they'll say anything.
But they'll still believe the opposite.