PDA

View Full Version : Fitzgerald [Talking Can]Lie[/Talking Can] Detected and Corrected

patteeu
04-12-2006, 05:03 PM
It seems that all hype about the President telling Scooter Libby to misrepresent the contents of the NIE to Judith Miller was just a (PR generating) mistake on the part of the Special Prosecutor. Articles such as the one distributed by Knight Ridder (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=138614) posted the other day by Laz, were hyperventilating a little prematurely.

I assume that those who nitpick everything the Bush administration has ever done will be along shortly to call the Special Prosecutor incompetent and accuse him of lying.

---------------------------------

Special prosecutor amends allegation against Libby
Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - The special prosecutor investigating Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, has amended one of the allegations against the White House aide that was contained in documents filed in federal court last week.

The change downplays the importance that the CIA gave to Iraq's purported attempt to buy uranium from the African nation of Niger. Further, Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald corrected the allegation that Libby had described the suspected uranium purchase as a "key judgment" of the CIA - a term of art in the intelligence community that gives the accusation high significance.

In papers filed Tuesday, Fitzgerald amended a single sentence on page 23 of the 39-page document he filed last week. The sentence dealt with what information Libby supposedly was to tell former New York Times reporter Judith Miller from the CIA's 2002 National Intelligence Estimate - a document that covered a range of intelligence about Iraq and its efforts to acquire weapons of mass destruction.

The original sentence read: "Defendant understood that he was to tell Miller, among other things, that a key judgment of the NIE held that Iraq was `vigorously trying to procure' uranium."

Fitzgerald's corrected version said: "Defendant understood that he was to tell Miller, among other things, some of the key judgments of the NIE, and that the NIE stated that Iraq was `vigorously trying to procure' uranium."

Knight Ridder Newspapers reported earlier that the purported uranium acquisition was never part of the NIE's "key judgments" and that some CIA officials and the State Department's intelligence bureau did not believe Iraq ever sought supplies of uranium from Niger.

It also was reported by Knight Ridder that the documents that supported the attempted uranium purchase were forgeries.

the Talking Can
04-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Uh...yeah, it confirms what we all said...thanks...are you now going to hold the president accountable for all his lies or are you just happy that you learned how to read?

I guess you will want him to release the NIE? Yes. Since he is so honest...he has nothing to hide.

I'm still waiting for you to hold him accountable....for anything.

patteeu
04-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Uh...yeah, it confirms what we all said...thanks...are you now going to hold the president accountable for all his lies or are you just happy that you learned how to read?

I guess you will want him to release the NIE? Yes. Since he is so honest...he has nothing to hide.

I'm still waiting for you to hold him accountable....for anything.

It doesn't confirm what William Douglas of Knight Ridder Newspapers said (although in his defense he was just reporting the false statement filed by the Special Prosecutor).

If he releases the NIE and it supports his position, you guys will just claim that he's disclosing national secrets to selfishly promote his political interests. Right? Every step of the way, you've claimed he lied and over and over you've been proven wrong. When are you going to give it up?

BTW, I blame the President for trying to reach out to democrats with the NCLB and Prescription Drug programs, but it wasn't enough for me to call for impeachment or to vote against him in 2004.

unlurking
04-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Didn't vote for him in the first place, but the two things I expected from a Republican president were SS reform and immigration reform/border control. Those two would go a long way in upping his status with me.