PDA

View Full Version : DMZ Zone

Otter
04-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Can someone give me the "DMZ Zone for Dummies" explanation on router configuration.

I recently upgraded the house router to a D-Link DI-704P. v3.06 and I need to enable DMZ to play games (Counter Strike Source).

All the ports are still showing up as stealth in a security scan. What’s the dilly yo? Never worked with this option before.

Otter
~feeling noobie

HC_Chief
04-13-2006, 09:32 AM
You shouldn't need to put a system in the DMZ to play counterstrike.

Otter
04-13-2006, 09:40 AM
You shouldn't need to put a system in the DMZ to play counterstrike.

Thank you for helping me get through the convoluted mess of a Google Search. Now I understand.

Asshat.

:)

SLAG
04-13-2006, 09:51 AM
you just need to open the port on the routers firewall... Just click on firewall settings and its pretty Self Explanatory

Otter
04-13-2006, 09:54 AM
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-704P-revC-v3.09/Day_of_Defeat_Source.htm

I can do that for other games but not this one with this router.

I've know routers, just don't know what DMZ does exactly.

EDIT: The game mentioned there is DoD:Source but it's the same for CSS:Source

SLAG
04-13-2006, 10:09 AM
DMZ openes one compueter on your network to the internet, (DeMiliterizedZone) No firewall.. so anyone that Knows your IP address (Like any Chiefs Planet Admin) could access your computer

Otter
04-13-2006, 10:20 AM
DMZ openes one compueter on your network to the internet, (DeMiliterizedZone) No firewall.. so anyone that Knows your IP address (Like any Chiefs Planet Admin) could access your computer

Why are the ports still showing up as stealth in a security scan? If someone knows the IP they can access as if it weren't behind a router with security protocol?

Think I just need to learn more about exactly what DMZ does. I obviously don't know myself.

SLAG
04-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Why are the ports still showing up as stealth in a security scan? If somone knows the IP they can access as if it weren't behind a router?

Think I just need to learn more about exactly what DMZ does. I obviously don't know myself.

You may want to check to see if you have windows firewall enabled, or some other internet security sofware enabled on your computer,

And yes, if you put a machine on the network in DMZ mode it can be accessed as if it were not behind a router but that is highly unsafe. I can only think of a few instances where it needs to be done and Gaming isnt one of them

Otter
04-13-2006, 10:30 AM
You may want to check to see if you have windows firewall enabled, or some other internet security sofware enabled on your computer,

And yes, if you put a machine on the network in DMZ mode it can be accessed as if it were not behind a router but that is highly unsafe. I can only think of a few instances where it needs to be done and Gaming isnt one of them

I have the service disabled, that's not it. Never used it, it's junk. :D

HC_Chief
04-13-2006, 11:24 AM
lol

What problem are you having with your game? Are you trying to HOST, or are you simply trying to play? Can you connect to Steam at all?

There are a lot of variables here. I do know for a fact that you certainly do NOT need to put your system in the DMZ to play Steam games.

Do you have PeerGuardian running? That little sucker can/will block game servers such as Steam or Battle Net.