PDA

View Full Version : Are there still segregated proms in the US?

Jenson71
04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
How is this legal?

Cochise
04-13-2006, 11:12 AM
http://www.google.com/search?q=segregated+prom

Amnorix
04-13-2006, 11:26 AM
Private parties, not school or gubment sponsored. I see.

Gotta love the deep South.

vailpass
04-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Private parties, not school or gubment sponsored. I see.

Gotta love the deep South.

What is wrong with associating only with those people whom you choose?

What is wrong with a group of black people wanting to celebrate an event only within their own culture so they invite only black people?

What if Native Americans wanted to have a Natives-only dance?

IMHO America tries so hard to FORCE integration that it has no chance of occurring naturally. Like any other feeling true integration can only come when people feel it in their heart and of their own free will.

Radar Chief
04-13-2006, 01:47 PM

What is wrong with a group of black people wanting to celebrate an event only within their own culture so they invite only black people?

IMHO America tries so hard to FORCE integration that it has no chance of occurring naturally. Like any other feeling true integration can only come when people feel it in their heart and of their own free will.

I think American Band Stand has been taken off the air, so where else are black kids gonna go to see white kids dance’n badly with no semblance of rhythm?
They’re be’n deprived of a good laugh. ;)

vailpass
04-13-2006, 02:50 PM
I think American Band Stand has been taken off the air, so where else are black kids gonna go to see white kids dance’n badly with no semblance of rhythm?
They’re be’n deprived of a good laugh. ;)

Apparently you have seen me dance. :cuss:

Amnorix
04-13-2006, 03:03 PM

In case you missed it, the schools in that area stopped sponsoring proms because they were required to be integrated. They didn't want issues with, you know, inter-racial dating and all that.

So now the students and parents have, quite legally, taken matters into their own hands and are organizing their own, segregated proms.
That part is fine. It's the schools cancelling the integrated ones, presumably due to outside pressure, that I'm :spock: ing to...

jspchief
04-13-2006, 03:37 PM
What is wrong with a group of black people wanting to celebrate an event only within their own culture so they invite only black people?Nothing. As long as you ignore that if white people tried to do the exact same thing, they would be villified and crucified.

vailpass
04-13-2006, 03:39 PM
In case you missed it, the schools in that area stopped sponsoring proms because they were required to be integrated. They didn't want issues with, you know, inter-racial dating and all that.

So now the students and parents have, quite legally, taken matters into their own hands and are organizing their own, segregated proms.
That part is fine. It's the schools cancelling the integrated ones, presumably due to outside pressure, that I'm :spock: ing to...

So the parents don't want their kids dating outside of their race. That is their choice.
It is no different than the wishes of the parents of my Jewish friends, or Catholic.

That's my point: you can't FORCE integration. You can coerce people to attend the same schools even though they don't want to but you can't force them to want to get to know each other. Over the years if it is meant to be it will be; social engineering where integration is concerned is a failure.

vailpass
04-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Nothing. As long as you ignore that if white people tried to do the exact same thing, they would be villified and crucified.

BINGO! That is exactly what I was getting at; there is a hypocrisy here that cannot logically be justified.