PDA

View Full Version : NPR

jspchief
04-13-2006, 04:39 PM
I believe it stands for National Public Radio.

What's the general attitude towards it? Do people feel it is biased to one side or the other?

Boozer
04-13-2006, 05:11 PM
It's general reputation is anywhere from "tilts left" to "makes Pravda circa 1950 look like Fox News." My take? You're going to hear liberal op-ed, but the news is of a higher caliber than you'll find in commercial outlets. More in-depth, I guess. Before I got satellite radio, I bet 60% of my radio listening was NPR.

|Zach|
04-13-2006, 05:32 PM
It's general reputation is anywhere from "tilts left" to "makes Pravda circa 1950 look like Fox News." My take? You're going to hear liberal op-ed, but the news is of a higher caliber than you'll find in commercial outlets. More in-depth, I guess. Before I got satellite radio, I bet 60% of my radio listening was NPR.
I think this is a good take differentiating between the opinion and the actual news they present and how they go about it.

I dig NPR.

patteeu
04-14-2006, 09:02 AM
I listen to NPR a lot in the mornings. They are the best source of national news on the radio where I live. Their analysts (i.e. opinion commentators) tend to be liberal but it isn't Air America. New Chief once said something about NPR (that I agree with) regarding the topics they choose to cover in depth. These topics are often topics that appeal to liberals. They are more likely to spend 5 or 10 minutes talking to a Katrina refugee about how they are trying to sort out their new life than they are to talk to an anti-abortion protestor who travels from abortion clinic to abortion clinic trying to make a difference with her placard and bullhorn.

I particularly like listening to BBC Overnight (not really NPR, but it's carried on my local NPR station) during their world news segments.

Cochise
04-14-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't listen that much but the 'hard news' is OK. The commentators seem to be pretty well liberal. The stories that are covered sometimes seem to betray a bias to me, but it's not like it's CNN.

Jilly
04-14-2006, 10:02 AM
I love NPR, listen to it all the time, because it covers stories that aren't always mainstream. There are some shows that are not as good as others. There's a show in the afternoon called, "All Things Considered", and that's a good one, imo. But I'm a liberal, so I feel like the news it gives appeals to what I want to hear.

jspchief
04-14-2006, 03:50 PM
I just stumbled across this NPR station while a I was doing an annual check for new stations. So far, I really enjoy it.

I just wasn't sure if I was supposed to love it or hate it due to media bias. :)

Boozer
04-14-2006, 04:05 PM
In addition to the news, the entertainment programming is second to none, at least for stations available on AM and FM.

Baby Lee
04-14-2006, 04:14 PM
In addition to the news, the entertainment programming is second to none, at least for stations available on AM and FM.
I really enjoy Prairie Home Companion, and enjoy Click and Clack as well. But second to none?
Whatd'ya know and Wait Wait Don't Tell Me are passable listening.
Motley Fools is a mess. Way too excited/jocular about the stock market.

Of course, How-id is the gold standard, but he's moved into near outer space. :p