PDA

View Full Version : Top-Rated Shows of 1976.

Rain Man
04-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Next up. Which three would you watch if a new "lost episode" was found?

Poll coming up, after a message from our sponsor.

Try Libby's Vienna Sausages today. It's like eating an Austrian pig, but without all the fighting and squealing.

http://homepage.mac.com/misterbisson/Dumbkins/viennasausage.jpg

cdcox
04-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Wow, that was tough. I went with All in the Family (probably have seen every episode), M*A*S*H (definitely seen every episode at least 3x), and Bob Newhart (probably seen every episode).

Mary Tyler Moore and The Carol Burnett Show were tempting. And more footage of Valerie Bertinelli in here prime was also a consideration.

Barney Miller came later I take it?

Boon
04-13-2006, 08:29 PM
I'd take a Monday Night Football game where the Chiefs knock the holy shit outta the Raiders!!

Rain Man
04-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Wow, that was tough. I went with All in the Family (probably have seen every episode), M*A*S*H (definitely seen every episode at least 3x), and Bob Newhart (probably seen every episode).

Mary Tyler Moore and The Carol Burnett Show were tempting. And more footage of Valerie Bertinelli in here prime was also a consideration.

Barney Miller came later I take it?

Bob Newhart was my clear winner on this one, with Mary Tyler Moore a distant second. Third was tough, but I went with M*A*S*H.

It appears that Barney Miller first aired in 1975. Perhaps it didn't have viewer traction in its first year?

And the funny thing is, I had exactly the same thought independently about Valerie Bertinelli. She was an object of great fascination for this 13 year-old in 1976.

cdcox
04-13-2006, 08:35 PM
It appears that Barney Miller first aired in 1975. Perhaps it didn't have viewer traction in its first year?

Man, if Barney Miller was on right now, I'd be watching it. I got really burnt out on M*A*S*H and Cheers reruns, but never grew tired of Barney Miller.

stevieray
04-13-2006, 08:37 PM
maude...just to see Adrienne Barbeau

Rain Man
04-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Man, if Barney Miller was on right now, I'd be watching it. I got really burnt out on M*A*S*H and Cheers reruns, but never grew tired of Barney Miller.

It's right up there with the Simpsons and Cheers as the best show in the history of television.

One of my favorite lines ever was in one of the few scenes that was filmed outside the squad room. The gang went over to someone's house, and a group was already there watching TV. At the time, Barney Miller aired right before Taxi. As the episode was winding down, Dietrich said to Barney, "Hey, hang around and watch TV with us. Taxi's on in five minutes." The philosophical questions that produces are profound.

Dartgod
04-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Tough choice. I wanted All in the Family, M*A*S*H, The Bob Newhart Show and The Carol Burnett Show.

I dropped Bob Newhart in favor of Carol Burnett. It was probably the best variety show after SNL. I'd love to get all the episodes on DVD.

If Barny Miller was in the poll, I would have dropped M*A*S*H.

Dartgod
04-13-2006, 08:44 PM
At the time, Barney Miller aired right before Taxi. As the episode was winding down, Dietrich said to Barney, "Hey, hang around and watch TV with us. Taxi's on in five minutes."
Taxi is another af my all-time favorites.

shaneo69
04-13-2006, 08:47 PM
I went with the ABC Sunday Night Movie, the ABC Monday Night Movie, and Kojack.

cdcox
04-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Tough choice. I wanted All in the Family, M*A*S*H, The Bob Newhart Show and The Carol Burnett Show.

I dropped Bob Newhart in favor of Carol Burnett. It was probably the best variety show after SNL. I'd love to get all the episodes on DVD.

Some of the funniest moments on TV were Tim Conway and Harvey Korman sketches on the Carol Burnett Show. There was one where TC used a little puppet of Hitler to interogate HK. Korman could not keep it together. His whole body was shaking during the whole sketch, trying not to laugh. That happened more than once, but the Hitler puppet skit sticks in my mind.

listopencil
04-13-2006, 08:52 PM
So how many was I supposed to vote for?

Rain Man
04-13-2006, 08:57 PM

This is kind of interesting. I wish they would have discussed the episodes more, though.

http://www.michaelgiltz.com/articles/Barney_Miller_oral_history_feature.htm

Dartgod
04-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Some of the funniest moments on TV were Tim Conway and Harvey Korman sketches on the Carol Burnett Show. There was one where TC used a little puppet of Hitler to interogate HK. Korman could not keep it together. His whole body was shaking during the whole sketch, trying not to laugh. That happened more than once, but the Hitler puppet skit sticks in my mind.
That was the best part of that show. Someone was always this close >< to cracking up. It was hard not to bust out laughing yourself.

Fish
04-13-2006, 09:01 PM
Laverne & Shirley all the way...... those bitches were HOT!!1!

Chiefs Express
04-13-2006, 09:02 PM
That was the best part of that show. Someone was always this close >< to cracking up. It was hard not to bust out laughing yourself.

In his prime Tim Conway could make anyone lose control. I just wonder how many times some of the people on Carol Burnetts show actually pissed themselves laughing. Korman seems to be one of the most probable in that circumstance, he was quaking in his boots in several shows.

I remember one show that conway hung himself on a doorknob at the crotch level, the door was part of a big double door setup with the knobs in the center of the door. When korman opened the door conway was hung out to dry. Harvey had tears rolling down his cheeks.

Best part of the show was that it was virtually family safe. Even the questionable stuff was too deep for the kids to figure out.

Deberg_1990
04-13-2006, 10:02 PM
Why isnt the "Six Million Dollar Man" out on DVD yet?? I want my Bionic Man Vs. Sasquatch DAMNIT!!

This TV show is just crying out to be remade into a modern big budget movie. It must be a rights issue??

Rausch
04-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Kotter, easy.

No taste mother****ers...

Edit: Sanford THEN Kotter.

Damn...

alanm
04-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Had to go with Sanford and Son as the most likely. By then All in the Family had jumped the shark. I can't believe Baa Baa Black Sheep didn't make the list. :( Can't believe Barney Miller didn't make the cut. Taxi was a year or 2 away in 76. But Taxi was the best bar none.

Rausch
04-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Had to go with Sanford and Son as the most likely.

Ditto. But I liked it better with the fat white guy than the black son. He was much better ripping on fatty than getting sappy with his boy.

I wanna change my vote...

chefsos
04-13-2006, 10:49 PM
I'd take a Monday Night Football game where the Chiefs knock the holy shit outta the Raiders!!
The '76 Chiefs, alas, were unlikely to knock the shit out of anyone, except the '77 Chiefs.

Rausch
04-13-2006, 10:52 PM
The '76 Chiefs, alas, were unlikely to knock the shit out of anyone, except the '77 Chiefs.

Figures.

I was born in 76, and the Chiefs have found a way to send me off with blue-balls every year since...

luv
04-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Hey! The year I was born!

1. Laverne & Shirley - my middle name is Laverne (not after the show, but who wouldn't love to have that L on their shirt?)
2. M*A*S*H - used to watch reruns with my dad
3. The Jeffersons - who didn't love The Jeffersons?

HemiEd
04-14-2006, 02:15 AM
All in the Family, Happy Days and Bob Newhart. It was very difficult to leave off Laverne and Shirley, Welcome Back Kotter

Kraut
04-14-2006, 05:08 AM
Very tough list! I went to All in the Family as my first pick. The other two took me a while. For me I had to go with Welcome Back Kotter & MASH.

Boon
04-14-2006, 07:24 AM

Those were indeed "the dark years".

shakesthecat
04-14-2006, 07:36 AM
All in the Family
Bob Newhart
M*A*S*H

Baby Lee
04-14-2006, 07:39 AM
All I have to say is one word, when Tim Conway was imitating an elephant.

Baschnorkey!!!

ROFL ROFL

Ultra Peanut
04-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Guess which ones I voted for.

Frankie
04-14-2006, 08:37 AM
I trust you are talking about the (Chiefs TE) Walter White show. Don't you?

Frankie
04-14-2006, 08:41 AM
M*A*S*H (Best show EVER on TV)
The Carol Burnett Show (Funny sketches. Some still hold up)
Baretta (An underrated minor classic)

Frankie
04-14-2006, 08:44 AM
M*A*S*H (Best show EVER on TV)
The Carol Burnett Show (Funny sketches. Some still hold up)
Baretta (An underrated minor classic)
I had to struggle not to include these:

Kojak
All In The Family
Welcome Back, Kotter

and where is Barney Miller?

patteeu
04-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Bob Newhart was my clear winner on this one, with Mary Tyler Moore a distant second. Third was tough, but I went with M*A*S*H.

The saxophone, Chiefs, UMR, Dept 345, stratomatic football, receding hairlines, UT, hot wives, and sparkling personalities weren't just coincidences afterall. Without reviewing the thread, I picked Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, and M*A*S*H, in that order. Eerie.

SCTrojan
04-14-2006, 08:58 AM
Loved Baretta - Fred the Cockatoo, Rooster the snitch, what's not to like?

For the others, I'd have to go with Starsky and Hutch - Antonio Fargas as the unforgettable Huggy Bear and that big fat dude as Captain Doby always trying to sneak a candy bar from the machine.

The last one would be Happy Days.

Chief Chief
04-14-2006, 09:06 AM
"Sonny & Cher" and "Chico & The Man" because one of their title pairs has died.

"One Day At A Time" for all the bra-less, jiggly things they had bouncin' around.

Speakin' of which, where do I go to vote for "Charlie's Angels" and "Three's Company"???

Rain Man
04-14-2006, 09:13 AM
The saxophone, Chiefs, UMR, Dept 345, stratomatic football, receding hairlines, UT, hot wives, and sparkling personalities weren't just coincidences afterall. Without reviewing the thread, I picked Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, and M*A*S*H, in that order. Eerie.

If I wasn't so darn handsome, I'd think we were twins separated at birth.

Rain Man
04-14-2006, 09:18 AM
1976 was a TV world turned upside down. The list above is in the order of the rankings for that year, so we had Rhoda and Phyllis both rated above the Mary Tyler Moore Show, we had the Bionic Woman rated above the Six Million Dollar Man, and Laverne and Shirley was rated above Happy Days. What a mad, mad, mad, mad world.