PDA

View Full Version : Champ Bailey fumble a touchback

ct
04-14-2006, 01:08 PM
... according to MIT guys.

From Rotoworld player news:

Ben Watson - TE - Patriots

MIT professors have reportedly proved that Champ Bailey's fumble against the Patriots in the AFC playoffs was a touchback.

"I've talked to guys who have talked to physics professors at Harvard and MIT and they've done studies on the play -- about the projection of the ball and everything -- and said there is no way it couldn't have gone through the end zone," Watson said about the play. "But if I was in the same spot, I would have made the same call." Apr. 13 - 9:45 am et
Source: Boston Globe

Anyway, just found this amusing.

Rain Man
04-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Oh, it was a touchback. No doubt about it. And there's no way that Bailey wasn't positioning the ball to showboat.

I loved watching that hit. Ben Watson got on my "good guys" list for that play.

StcChief
04-14-2006, 01:14 PM
We don't need any MIT guy show us....

Could see it on TV from the angle he was running, carrying the ball when hit...it was touch back. thru endzone.

Garcia Bronco
04-14-2006, 01:15 PM
No it wasn't it was all good.

Amnorix
04-14-2006, 01:19 PM
IMHO it almost definitely went through the end zone, but I found the replays to be completely useless, so I can't blame the ref for not overturning the call on the field.

That said, I REALLY wish the stupid Comp. Cmte would accept Belichick's oft-stated suggestion that there ought to be camers INSIDE the damn pylons to give the perfect "down the goal line" and "straight up from the corner of the end zone" angles that would make all of these calls a helluva lot easier.

The NFL wants replay, but doesn't want to make maximum use of it by optimizing camera angles. It is fugging retarded.

OnTheWarpath58
04-14-2006, 01:22 PM
IMHO it almost definitely went through the end zone, but I found the replays to be completely useless, so I can't blame the ref for not overturning the call on the field.

That said, I REALLY wish the stupid Comp. Cmte would accept Belichick's oft-stated suggestion that there ought to be camers INSIDE the damn pylons to give the perfect "down the goal line" and "straight up from the corner of the end zone" angles that would make all of these calls a helluva lot easier.

The NFL wants replay, but doesn't want to make maximum use of it by optimizing camera angles. It is fugging retarded.

Agreed. You would think, especially after all the SB XL debate, that the league would do whatever it takes to get the calls right.

Douche Baggins
04-14-2006, 01:23 PM
No it wasn't it was all good.

Homer.

morphius
04-14-2006, 01:32 PM
There were so many calls that went Denver's way that game they might as well have not even played the game.

It happens that way some times, it a shame, but its a game with refs, so what are you gonna do.

Ari Chi3fs
04-14-2006, 01:36 PM
If Iran wants to Nuke Denver, I have no opposition to this.

vailpass
04-14-2006, 01:41 PM
I question MIT's qualifications in this area.

In order to obtain top-notch expertise they need to commission the Kansas City Chiefs football team and coaching staff to review the tv replays.

No one has more experience in watching the NFL playoffs on TV than they do.

Garcia Bronco
04-14-2006, 01:43 PM
It was clearly to the left of the pylon and a fine call by the refs. One of many fine calls in that game.

Amnorix
04-14-2006, 01:43 PM
There were so many calls that went Denver's way that game they might as well have not even played the game.

It happens that way some times, it a shame, but its a game with refs, so what are you gonna do.

There were a few, no doubt, but IMHO the Pats just gave the game away with too many mistakes. When you fumble a fair catch untouched, when the opponent's PUNTER causes a fumble, when you throw a pick at the opponent's 1 yard line, what do you expect.

Not that the Denver defense didn't cause at least some of this, but IMHO it was more self-immolation than anything else. Ah well, there's always next year.

Amnorix
04-14-2006, 01:44 PM
It was clearly to the left of the pylon and a fine call by the refs. One of many fine calls in that game.

Please. The only clear thing about it was that it was completely unclear. No way to tell. I realize homerism is involved and everything, but feel free to be honest. Neither you nor I has any frickin idea whether the ball went through the end zone or not.

UKMike
04-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Please. The only clear thing about it was that it was completely unclear. No way to tell. I realize homerism is involved and everything, but feel free to be honest. Neither you nor I has any frickin idea whether the ball went through the end zone or not.

I have a hunch he was kidding...

Amnorix
I have a hunch he was kidding...

Maybe. Garcia takes homerism to whole new levels, and I'm never quite sure whether he's kidding or blinded by homerism. :shrug:

StcChief
If Iran wants to Nuke Denver, I have no opposition to this.
ROFL ROFL

joesomebody
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM

In order to obtain top-notch expertise they need to commission the Kansas City Chiefs football team and coaching staff to review the tv replays.

No one has more experience in watching the NFL playoffs on TV than they do.Yeah and we all know our recent record on winning the ref's vote when we toss in the red flag...

Cochise
04-14-2006, 02:02 PM
I think you guys need to tune your sarcasm meter to Garcia Bronco's frequency.

Garcia Bronco
04-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Maybe. Garcia takes homerism to whole new levels, and I'm never quite sure whether he's kidding or blinded by homerism. :shrug:

You wouldn't even be able to tell if I was in the room...I've got a good poker face. I think it was left...but not "clearly" leftROFL

ct
04-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Well this was even more amusing than I thought.

SNR
04-14-2006, 03:33 PM
You wouldn't even be able to tell if I was in the room...I've got a good poker face. I think it was left...but not "clearly" leftROFLI don't know about that. Maybe Amnorix went to MIT

Taco John
04-14-2006, 03:49 PM
All I know is that Tom Brady threw an interception at the worst possible moment in the game. Whether that's a touchdown or not is irrelevant. We won the game due to Tom's boneheaded throw.

jettio
04-14-2006, 04:26 PM
I wished it had been called a touchback at the time, but watching the Bronco fans root for Pittsburgh against Indy the next day, think that they were going to be AFC champs for a week, and then see them have to be reminded that Jake Plummer was their QB was worth it.

TRR
04-14-2006, 06:12 PM
All I know is that Tom Brady threw an interception at the worst possible moment in the game. Whether that's a touchdown or not is irrelevant. We won the game due to Tom's boneheaded throw.

I'm glad you won that game too....Just to see you get blown out by Pittsburgh.

dj56dt58
04-14-2006, 10:56 PM

No one has more experience in watching the NFL playoffs on TV than they do.
As opposed to being qualified in cheating salary caps?

Lurch
04-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Let it go....the Broncos still suck.

greg63
04-14-2006, 10:59 PM
... according to MIT guys...

These people have entirely too much time on their hands.

Lurch
04-14-2006, 11:00 PM
I wished it had been called a touchback at the time, but watching the Bronco fans root for Pittsburgh against Indy the next day, think that they were going to be AFC champs for a week, and then see them have to be reminded that Jake Plummer was their QB was worth it.

:clap:

I'd rep you. But you are a racist.

Taco John
04-15-2006, 02:04 AM

This is the part of the fan experience that I don't get to be a part of. You guys don't win any playoff games, so it's hard to get that good, raw fan hate going after watching a hated rival move on to a Championship game.

TRR
04-15-2006, 07:25 AM
This is the part of the fan experience that I don't get to be a part of. You guys don't win any playoff games, so it's hard to get that good, raw fan hate going after watching a hated rival move on to a Championship game.

I'd rather not win any playoff games than settle for being punked like Denver has in the playoffs the last several years.

TEX
04-15-2006, 07:43 AM
At the time the play happened, it sure looked like he fumbled to me. Anyway, The Donx would not have won had not EVERYTHING gone their way that game. And when that happens, it usually indicates that some big-time calls were missed.

What I find interesting is Taco will consider this call simply part of the game, yet bitch about a certain kickoff return all season long a few years back as something other then being part of the game... :hmmm:

Anwyay, looking back now I'm glad it happened the way it did especially when you take into account what happened the following week. Jake Plummer... ROFL

chiefsfan58
04-15-2006, 08:14 AM
silliness! I hope this isn't what my prof's spend their time researching. =O

milkman
04-15-2006, 08:23 AM
I'd rather not win any playoff games than settle for being punked like Denver has in the playoffs the last several years.

Then you must be pretty satisfied with the last 13 years.

StcChief
04-15-2006, 09:01 AM
At the time the play happened, it sure looked like he fumbled to me. Anyway, The Donx would not have won had not EVERYTHING gone their way that game. And when that happens, it usually indicates that some big-time calls were missed.

What I find interesting is Taco will consider this call simply part of the game, yet bitch about a certain kickoff return all season long a few years back as something other then being part of the game... :hmmm:

Anwyay, looking back now I'm glad it happened the way it did especially when you take into account what happened the following week. Jake Plummer... ROFL

Right on...Was thinking the same thing. 'Part of the game'.

Looked lilke a fumble to me, the fact he wasn't taking care of the ball and angle on TV, not sure how it could not have been over turned.

jettio
04-15-2006, 09:29 AM

It is not any different than seeing a rival stumble in the regular season, and you flaunt your participation in that "part of the fan experience."

Next thing you will claim not to have enjoyed watching the Raiders lose the Super Bowl to the Bucs a couple of years ago.