PDA

View Full Version : Any good RPG's out that aren't MMO?

htismaqe
04-14-2006, 03:18 PM
I'd love to play DAoC, but I'd rather play with friends on a LAN than play online...

KcMizzou
04-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Elder Scolls Oblivion's good. But it has no form of multiplayer at all.

jspchief
04-14-2006, 03:35 PM
There's the good ole Baldur's Gate series.

I wish they would put some money into developing a kickass new single player RPG.

htismaqe
04-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance was cool.

I'm looking for something my wife and I can play together.

TrickyNicky
04-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Champions of Norrath is a clone of Dark Alliance and is pretty fun too.

htismaqe
04-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Yeah, we've played CoN.

ChiefFripp
04-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Oblivion

unlurking
04-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Gauntlet

;)

(Still gotta see if that will run on the 360.)

QuikSsurfer
04-15-2006, 12:05 AM
neverwinter nights + expansions

Valiant
04-15-2006, 02:17 AM
I'd love to play DAoC, but I'd rather play with friends on a LAN than play online...

Guild wars would be good for both of you.. multiplayer online and totally free outside of expansion packs..

htismaqe
04-15-2006, 07:48 AM
I may have to look at Guild Wars. I've also been considering getting the NWN Diamond pack since it's $20 and includes all of the expansions...

TrickyNicky
04-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Diablo II + LoD expansion?

Its old but is still great fun multiplayer.

htismaqe
04-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Diablo II + LoD expansion?

Its old but is still great fun multiplayer.

shit, i played the hell out of that like 10 years ago...

TrickyNicky
04-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Dungeon Siege II is a decent hack n' slash. Nothing special but it should keep you entertained for a few days.

KC Jones
04-15-2006, 12:05 PM
The best RPGs I've ever played (other than BGII) were free community made modules/campaigns for NWN. You can play together too and just run one of your PCs as a server, or even go online to play with others.

NWN2 and Dragon Age are both in development now - I don't know when they are going to be released, but they should both be ass kicking RPGs. Elder Scrolls Oblivion is awesome, but there is no multiplayer.

htismaqe
04-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Dungeon Siege II is a decent hack n' slash. Nothing special but it should keep you entertained for a few days.

Yeah, I've beat that one to hell too...

KC Jones
04-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I've beat that one to hell too...

I'm not an MMO kinda guy but if you have friends that are into them, one of you could always set up a teamspeak or ventrilo server. Hence you would be playing an MMO, but adventure only with your buddies. Most people I know that do this will have 2 accounts or characters - one that they only take out with their friends, and another that's for when they want to play without their buddies. This might be your best bet to get the best of both worlds.

TrickyNicky
04-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Maybe it would be easier for you to list which ones you've played and we'll go from there.

Are you interested in RTS'es at all?

Valiant
04-15-2006, 03:23 PM
The best RPGs I've ever played (other than BGII) were free community made modules/campaigns for NWN. You can play together too and just run one of your PCs as a server, or even go online to play with others.

NWN2 and Dragon Age are both in development now - I don't know when they are going to be released, but they should both be ass kicking RPGs. Elder Scrolls Oblivion is awesome, but there is no multiplayer.

My PCgamer mag said they quit offering support and servers to NWN2 since no one plays it... I would double check, but some ass at work decided to throw it away..

htismaqe
04-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Maybe it would be easier for you to list which ones you've played and we'll go from there.

Are you interested in RTS'es at all?

No, not really. I like to build a character over time, plus my wife doesn't like RTS at all.

I've played alot of stuff, other than DAoC, WoW, and the NWN expansions. I hadn't seen Guild Wars yet, I'm gonna check that one out.

The other thing is that if I did do one of these MMORPG's, I'd have to buy 2 copies, wouldn't I?

TrickyNicky
04-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I think you buy one game in the box and install it twice, then pay for the second account.

Honestly, I think MMO's aren't worth the money per month if you are casually playing them. You have to put in at least 1-2 hours a day to get your moneys worth.

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=games&category=Role-Playing&platform=5&mode=all&sort=views&dlx_type=all

Look through that for anything that piques your interest.

TrickyNicky
04-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Oh yeah, Sacred is a decent Diablo clone that is pretty fun.

KC Jones
04-15-2006, 05:11 PM
My PCgamer mag said they quit offering support and servers to NWN2 since no one plays it... I would double check, but some ass at work decided to throw it away..

NWN2 has not yet been released, so of course nobody is playing it.

Even if bioware is no longer hosting servers for the official NWN campaign, there are hundreds of privately hosted servers running different campaigns and even 'persistent worlds'. One that I haven't checked on in years was attempting to build all of Greyhawk, and had thousands of players with hundreds of DMs across dozens of servers. The bandwidth requirements are not very high, so most people could easily run a server at home and handle several clients for a game. NWN was more an extensible toolset for D&D than a game. Sure, it came with official campaigns, but they were shallow in comparison to what the community has built.

Short Intro to persistent worlds (http://nwn.bioware.com/players/pw_guide.html)

NWN Vault - 100's of free campaigns, plug ins, and more (http://nwvault.ign.com/)

htismaqe
04-16-2006, 10:45 AM
I looked at Sacred, but I don't like the system -- too rigid, not enough choices for building a character.

I may just get DAoC and try it out.

QuikSsurfer
04-16-2006, 01:38 PM
DnD?

Pants
04-16-2006, 02:58 PM
I looked at Sacred, but I don't like the system -- too rigid, not enough choices for building a character.

I may just get DAoC and try it out.

As far as I know, that game is dying since Myth is working hard on Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. That game will be the WoW killer, IMO. As of right now, I would really suggest World of Warcraft instead of DAoC (this is a little bit of uninformed opinion, since I've never played DAoC, but I'm going on what I've heard from others) since WoW is constantly growing and is just really good for a very long time (the ol' burnout). Besides, if you rolled on my, or any other planeteer's server, we could help you guys a bunch.

The only drawback would be the monthly fee for 2 accounts.

htismaqe
04-16-2006, 05:25 PM
DnD?

Pen and paper doesn't work for me anymore. ADD.

QuikSsurfer
04-16-2006, 07:02 PM
Pen and paper doesn't work for me anymore. ADD.

no no.. dnd online.. just released

joesomebody
04-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Everquest is an oldie but goodie if you are thinking of picking up MMO's. DAoC is far past its time, it hasn't aged well at all.

I haven't played WoW, EQ 2 sucks, SWG sucks, I'm waiting on that new one from Brad McQuaid and Microsoft, forgot the name of it though...

If your interested in EQ at all, you should check out my server. Can hook yah up.

htismaqe
04-17-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm gonna be playing Oblivion.

I ran into a game-stopping bug on College Hoops 2k6 today and found out that it's fixed on the 360.

So I'm going to get a 360 tomorrow.