PDA

View Full Version : Dan Gable returns to Hawkeye Wrestling!!

vailpass
04-14-2006, 04:14 PM
YES!!!

Dan Gable returning to Iowa as assistant
/ Associated Press
Posted: 60 minutes ago

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Wrestling great Dan Gable is returning to the Hawkeyes staff as an assistant coach, the university said Friday.

The 57-year-old Gable has been working as an assistant to athletics director Bob Bowlsby since he retired as wrestling coach after the 1997 season.
However, the firing of coach Jim Zalesky last month and hiring of Tom Brands opened another option for Gable.

Gable will continue to have department-wide duties and will retain his assistant to the director title.

Gable coached Brands to three NCAA titles during his Hawkeye career. Brands served as an assistant coach at Iowa under Gable from 1993-97.

Brands said he was happy with Gable's decision to join his staff.

"He's been with me every step of the way during my career and this will be no different," he said in a statement. "There's no one in the world who's better at working with wrestlers and I'm glad he's on board."

Gable spent 21 seasons as Iowa's coach, leading the Hawkeyes to 21 straight Big Ten titles and 15 national championships.

He was 118-1 as a wrestler at Iowa State, where he was a three-time All-American. The Waterloo native won a gold medal at the 1972 Summer Olympics without surrendering a point to any of his opponents.

He was named to the U.S. Wrestling Hall of Fame in 1980 and the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame in 1985.

"I'm delighted to be back in coaching," Gable said in a statement. "Our goal is to put Iowa wrestling back on top and I want to do everything I can to make it happen."

jspchief
04-14-2006, 04:17 PM
That's big.

nychief
04-14-2006, 04:35 PM
WOOO HOOO!!!

**** YEAH!!

FINALLY!!!

WHO IS DAN GABLE!!!

WHY AM I SREAMING!!

HOORAY!

vailpass
04-14-2006, 04:37 PM
WOOO HOOO!!!

**** YEAH!!

FINALLY!!!

WHO IS DAN GABLE!!!

WHY AM I SREAMING!!

HOORAY!

Dan Gable is the Meatwad, Master Shake, and Frylock of wrestling all rolled into one!

Ultra Peanut
04-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Insert joke about vailpass enjoying the sight of big, sweaty guys in tight spandex here.

vailpass
04-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Insert joke about vailpass enjoying the sight of big, sweaty guys in tight spandex here.

ROFL Not even your "I hate my own cock" weirdness is going to bring me down on this one Psy. I love Hawkeye wrestling and am pumped up to see The Coach returning to the mat.
Happy Easter to ya (if Easter is your sort of thing)

burt
04-14-2006, 06:41 PM
ROFL Not even your "I hate my own cock" weirdness is going to bring me down on this one Psy. I love Hawkeye wrestling and am pumped up to see The Coach returning to the mat.
Happy Easter to ya (if Easter is your sort of thing)

The year the finals were here @ KC, I took my son, 7 years old, and he got to Shake Gable's hand. IT WAS AWESOME!! I agree with you....Gable and wrestling ....."It's the same thing!"

Iowanian
04-14-2006, 08:53 PM
I think Bringing in Brands was instrumental in getting toughness back into the Hawkeye team...I mean "beat the piss out of your opponent-no mercy" t oughness. Bringing in Gable is a good move, however I could see how it keeps it from being "Brands' team" with Gable in the spotlight too.

I think its very important, because ISU made a hell of a decision to go with Cael Sanderson as their head coach.

In state recruiting is now brutal. The mat should be moreso within a couple of years.

Look out OSU....the sound you hear behind you is indeed an Iowani-train.

Lurch
04-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Good news for Iowa wrestling fans.

Chief Henry
04-15-2006, 08:42 AM
I think Bringing in Brands was instrumental in getting toughness back into the Hawkeye team...I mean "beat the piss out of your opponent-no mercy" t oughness. Bringing in Gable is a good move, however I could see how it keeps it from being "Brands' team" with Gable in the spotlight too.

I think its very important, because ISU made a hell of a decision to go with Cael Sanderson as their head coach.

In state recruiting is now brutal. The mat should be moreso within a couple of years.

Look out OSU....the sound you hear behind you is indeed an Iowani-train.

Soon the OSU sinlgets will be pulled up there collective spinkters just
just a little tighter.

Welcome Back Coach Gable...Tom Brands will have those Iowa Wrestlers eating cowboys for breakfast

Saulbadguy
04-15-2006, 09:31 AM
That's big.
Tens flood the streets in celebration...

:)

DomerNKC
04-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Gable is GOD.

DomerNKC
04-16-2006, 04:56 PM

:)for those in manhattan, he wins championships. im not a fan of the hawkeyes, but im a fan of greatness. that is why those in purple dont understand. you have to win something mildcat in order to comprehend what it takes.

Skip Towne
04-16-2006, 05:05 PM

:)
.........and a fan letter poured in.

burt
04-16-2006, 05:14 PM
.........and a fan letter poured in.

Wow.....unlike most others here, this is the first time I thought...............you are and idiot!!!

Skip Towne
04-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Wow.....unlike most others here, this is the first time I thought...............you are and idiot!!!
Why thank you very much, n00b

DomerNKC
04-16-2006, 05:25 PM
n00bs rool!!!! tool.

burt
04-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Why thank you very much, n00b

on this issue....yvw

Skip Towne
04-16-2006, 05:36 PM
on this issue....yvw
BTW, it's your and idiot, n00b.

burt
04-16-2006, 05:41 PM
BTW, it's your and idiot, n00b.

"Damnit, Jim.....I'm a doctor....."

Skip, your and idiot.......feel better, stupid veterinarian...vegitarian.....ah shiiite, vet...... long term poster!

Saulbadguy
04-16-2006, 05:59 PM
for those in manhattan, he wins championships. im not a fan of the hawkeyes, but im a fan of greatness. that is why those in purple dont understand. you have to win something mildcat in order to comprehend what it takes.
More people care about Womens Basketball than they do College Wrestling.

burt
04-16-2006, 06:16 PM
More people care about Womens Basketball than they do College Wrestling.

gay people.

Saulbadguy
04-16-2006, 06:21 PM
gay people.
Yes. Men who like to watch girls play sports are obviously gay, as opposed to those watching men in tights try to pin each other on a mat.

burt
04-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Yes. Men who like to watch girls play sports are obviously gay, as opposed to those watching men in tights try to pin each other on a mat.

With that kind of logic, I guess you watch the Wildcats at a gay bar.....lots of big stong men in pads....the QB puts his hands under the centers crotch...and, hey they have tight ends!!!

and all the hetrosexual men go to ballet...to see the women in the tight fitting cloths dance around....

That's why the womens Volley ball courts have stadiums that hold 40,000....because hetrosexual men ALL go to the matches.

Look, you, obviously, have no idea as to what straight men watch...so your opinion is useless.

Atta girl!

burt
04-16-2006, 06:46 PM

Oh, and by the way...don't try telling a wrestler that you think wrestling is gay. He might decide to show you how rough our sport is. Most UFC fighters are great wrestlers. You wouldn't look nice afterwards.....in traction. Just so you know, this is not a threat, it is VERY SOUND ADVICE!!

Iowanian
04-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Grimmace is just jealous...jealous that in a singlet, his bulge, would be an inny.

All I know, is that Brands is bringing with him 4 very, very good wrestlers, 3 from Iowa, 2 of whom I saw wrestle in person and a top shelf Michigan prospect.

Saulbadguy
04-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Oh, and by the way...don't try telling a wrestler that you think wrestling is gay. He might decide to show you how rough our sport is. Most UFC fighters are great wrestlers. You wouldn't look nice afterwards.....in traction. Just so you know, this is not a threat, it is VERY SOUND ADVICE!!
:ZZZ: Watching the sport would probably put me to sleep before I could say anything.

burt
04-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Grimmace is just jealous...jealous that in a singlet, his bulge, would be an inny.

All I know, is that Brands is bringing with him 4 very, very good wrestlers, 3 from Iowa, 2 of whom I saw wrestle in person and a top shelf Michigan prospect.

I am very much looking foreward to the results!

DomerNKC
04-18-2006, 06:40 PM
:ZZZ: Watching the sport would probably put me to sleep before I could say anything.as ive stated before mildcat fan, win a championship before knocking someone that has.