PDA

View Full Version : Prisco's Mock Draft

nychief
04-14-2006, 04:59 PM
1. Houston Texans
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Reggie Bush, RB, USC: His Pro Day workout solidified his status as the top pick. There should not have been any doubts before that anyway. This kid can be in the Barry Sanders mold of breakaway runners.

2. New Orleans Saints
NFL TEAM HELMETS
A.J. Hawk, LB, Ohio State: They will try to trade out of this spot to a team wanting a quarterback, but if they are stuck the choice it will likely be between North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams and Hawk. The value is there on Williams, but they have Charles Grant and Will Smith. How many ends do you need? Hawk makes more sense.

3. Tennessee Titans
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Matt Leinart, QB, USC: With Steve McNair possibly out this year -- and definitely on his last legs if he's not -- they have to get a guy to build this team around. Leinart is the more polished of the three quarterbacks.

4. N.Y. Jets
NFL TEAM HELMETS
D'Brickashaw Ferguson, T, Virginia: They have Chad Pennington and they acquired Patrick Ramsey, so they don't need a quarterback. It will be tempting to take one, but they need line help in the worst way. Ferguson is the pick.

5. Green Bay Packers
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Mario Williams, DE, North Carolina State: This is the next Julius Peppers. The Packers would love to see him fall here.

6. San Francisco 49ers
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland: This is a team that struggled to score last year. Getting a dynamic playmaker like Davis will help Alex Smith.

7. Oakland Raiders
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon: The Raiders need somebody in the middle of their line to help play the run. Ngata makes way too much sense here. They pass on a quarterback.

8. Buffalo Bills
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt: They signed Craig Nall, but is he the long-term answer? The Bills have to find their next Jim Kelly. It starts by taking Cutler.

9. Detroit Lions
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Michael Huff, CB-S, Texas: The Lions need help on the corner, and Huff is the best of this class. Some teams like him at safety, but he plays corner for the Lions.

10. Arizona Cardinals
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Winston Justice, T, USC: Coach Dennis Green wants to win now, which is why he passes on Vince Young. Justice is a player who will start at tackle from the open of the season.

11. St. Louis Rams
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Jimmy Williams, CB, Virginia Tech: The Rams need help at the corner in the worst way. Williams is big and physical and has some nice cover skills.

12. Cleveland Browns
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Broderick Bunkley, DT, Florida State: He will play end in the Browns' 3-4 scheme. This kid has a ton of ability and would upgrade the run defense in a big way playing next to Ted Washington.

13. Baltimore Ravens
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Vince Young, QB, Texas: This pick won't help Brian Billick, but Ozzie Newsome will do it for the long-term success of the franchise. Young is too much value here to pass.

14. Philadelphia Eagles
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State: He has the speed to excel in Jim Johnson's attacking defense. Sims will be an immediate starter. They pass on a receiver to take him here.

15. Denver Broncos (from Atlanta)
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Chad Jackson, WR, Florida: The Broncos need deep speed, and Jackson has that. He will take over for Rod Smith in a year as their go-to guy.

16. Miami Dolphins
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Marcus McNeil, T, Auburn: The Dolphins need to upgrade that offensive line to protect Daunte Culpepper. McNeil is a prototype right tackle, although some scouts think he can go to the left side.

17. Minnesota Vikings
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Tye Hill, CB, Clemson: The Vikings lost corner Brian Williams to the Jaguars, so they take a young cover player to be their nickel corner.

18. Dallas Cowboys
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Jason Allen, S, Tennessee: He hurt his hip last year, but he's completely recovered and has showed well in his workouts. This kid is a player when he's on the field.

19. San Diego Chargers
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State: The Chargers need some speed outside and Keenan McCardell isn't a kid anymore. Holmes can fly.

20. Kansas City Chiefs
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State: Sammy Knight and Greg Wesley don't run all that well. This kid does. This is a good fit.

21. New England Patriots
NFL TEAM HELMETS
DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis: Corey Dillon had a drop in production last year and he isn't a kid anymore. The Patriots have to run the ball better.

22. Denver Broncos (from Washington)
NFL TEAM HELMETS
LenDale White, RB, USC: The Broncos lost Mike Anderson, so they take another big back here. White is from Denver, so they get the hometown kid.

23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Eric Winston, T, Miami: Some projected this kid as a top 10 pick before he blew out his knee two years ago. He's getting back close to 100 percent, so the Bucs take him and put him in at left tackle.

24. Cincinnati Bengals
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Thomas Howard, LB, UTEP: This kid can run and the Bengals want more speed at their outside linebacker spot. There is talk he can move to safety, too.

25. N.Y. Giants
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State: They lost Will Allen in free agency and Sam Madison is only a short-term solution. Cromartie would have been a top 10 pick if he didn't blow out his knee last summer.

26. Chicago Bears
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA: The Bears need to find a weapon in the middle of the field, and this kid is it. He is tall at 6-6 and he has the ability to get open down the field. Incumbent Desmond Clark is just average.

27. Carolina Panthers
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota: They can't believe he fell to them, but they're thrilled he did. He gives the Panthers nice insurance in case DeShaun Foster gets hurt again.

28. Jacksonville Jaguars
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia: The Jaguars need a weapon in the middle of the field and Pope can provide that. He will help open things up outside for the young receivers.

29. N.Y. Jets (from Denver)
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Kamerion Wimbley, DE-OLB, Florida State: His stock is rising and that's because he's a heck of a pass rusher. With John Abraham gone, the Jets take his replacement.

30. Indianapolis Colts
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Jonathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina: The Colts might be willing to move Marlin Jackson inside to safety if they can get a quality cover corner. Joseph would help that become a reality.

31. Seattle Seahawks
NFL TEAM HELMETS
Deuce Lutui, G, USC: He can take over as the starter for the departed Steve Hutchinson. This kid will be a Pro Bowl player in two years, no matter where he goes.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers
Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State: They know the line is what butters the bread and they take this kid as the eventual replacement for Jeff Hartings at center.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Prisco is a f*cking moron.

htismaqe
04-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Whitner would be a great fit if we were going to run Gunther's defense of the 90's. He's a hitter and can attack the line of scrimmage.

He's not nearly as good of a fit for the Cover 2.

CoMoChief
04-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah Prisco is a ****job. I would just about take anyone that was drafted after our mock pick in the first round.

ChiefsCountry
04-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Typical Prisco.

beer bacon
04-14-2006, 05:31 PM
That is a really horrible pick for us in the 1st, and it is way too high for Whitner. I think Prisco has the inside track with Carl. Can Whitner play CB?

nychief
04-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Everything I have read says Whither is a tweener. Just what we need.

htismaqe
04-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Whitner is not a tweener. He's a true safety, but he's more of an attacker than coverage guy.

And 20 is definitely not too high. He could go mid 1st round...

beer bacon
04-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Whitner is not a tweener. He's a true safety, but he's more of an attacker than coverage guy.

Where has he been projected to go mid 1st? I probably don't keep up with the draft near as much as you, but I haven't seen any speculation about him going that high.

nychief
04-14-2006, 06:16 PM

I am sure you know more about him than I do... but this is what I have read:

Weaknesses:
A bit of a S / CB 'tweener who might not have a true pro position...Lacks elite size at safety...Has played a lot but only started for one season...Has the physical abilities of a cornerback but is not quite as good in coverage as his measurables might indicate...Dealt with some minor injuries and durability might be a concern.

Notes:
Was considered one of the top defensive backs in the country when he was coming out of high school...Has the physical tools...Interesting prospect who could realistically project to free safety, strong safety or cornerback at the next level.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/dontewhitner.html

Whitner is an interesting prospect. He is an excellent safety, and could have an immediate impact at that position. But, he may also have the talent to project as a cornerback for some teams, but he will need a lot of work to make that move. I believe he projects best at free safety, but will be a standout at either safety spot. This is a deep safety class, but Whitner is as good as any of them. He has an outside shot at landing in the Top 50 despite all the talent in this safety class.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/donte_whitner.html

htismaqe
04-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Where has he been projected to go mid 1st? I probably don't keep up with the draft near as much as you, but I haven't seen any speculation about him going that high.

I've heard a couple of people talk about him maybe going to the Cowboys at 18. Here's one:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

htismaqe
04-14-2006, 07:13 PM
I am sure you know more about him than I do... but this is what I have read:

Weaknesses:
A bit of a S / CB 'tweener who might not have a true pro position...Lacks elite size at safety...Has played a lot but only started for one season...Has the physical abilities of a cornerback but is not quite as good in coverage as his measurables might indicate...Dealt with some minor injuries and durability might be a concern.

Notes:
Was considered one of the top defensive backs in the country when he was coming out of high school...Has the physical tools...Interesting prospect who could realistically project to free safety, strong safety or cornerback at the next level.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/dontewhitner.html

Whitner is an interesting prospect. He is an excellent safety, and could have an immediate impact at that position. But, he may also have the talent to project as a cornerback for some teams, but he will need a lot of work to make that move. I believe he projects best at free safety, but will be a standout at either safety spot. This is a deep safety class, but Whitner is as good as any of them. He has an outside shot at landing in the Top 50 despite all the talent in this safety class.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/donte_whitner.html

Being super fast and having fluid hips doesn't make him a tweener. It makes him a superb safety who might have the tools to play CB.

nychief
04-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Being super fast and having fluid hips doesn't make him a tweener. It makes him a superb safety who might have the tools to play CB.

who are you? His Agent? Or justa buckeye fan?

beer bacon
04-14-2006, 07:59 PM
I've heard a couple of people talk about him maybe going to the Cowboys at 18. Here's one:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

I really have anger issues when it comes to mock drafts. That draft has us grabbing Jonathan Joseph then has Jimmy Williams, Wimbley, and Gabe Watson going 23-25. Hell, they have Lawson, Kiwi, AND Hali still on the board after the 1st round. Why does this make me so angry :mad:

I get more and more sick of the 3-4 defense the more and more I read about the draft. The same thing happened last season. Every single speed rusher is all of a sudden a 3-4 OLB.

TRR
04-14-2006, 08:00 PM
I think I'll hang myself if KC takes a Safety in round 1. There isn't a Shawn Taylor type safety in the draft IMHO.

Mecca
04-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Alot of places are projecting Joseph right around where we pick..........

Are far as this pick, I'd rather not take a safety first but I won't be to mad Whitner his superb talent. It's just a matter of Prisco thinking our safeties suck and in fairness they really aren't very good.

nychief
04-14-2006, 08:03 PM
I really have anger issues when it comes to mock drafts. That draft has us grabbing Jonathan Joseph then has Jimmy Williams, Wimbley, and Gabe Watson going 23-25. Hell, they have Lawson, Kiwi, AND Hali still on the board after the 1st round. Why does this make me so angry :mad:

I get more and more sick of the 3-4 defense the more and more I read about the draft. The same thing happened last season. Every single speed rusher is all of a sudden a 3-4 OLB.

Beer Baron! Have a Beer!

beer bacon
04-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Beer Baron! Have a Beer!

I could use one after suffering another Royals game.

nychief
04-14-2006, 08:10 PM
I could use one after suffering another Royals game.

That team is making me lose my mind.

beer bacon
04-14-2006, 08:25 PM
At the very least, if we were going to settle for a CB like Joseph in the first I would hope we would trade down in the first. Then use that late round pick we got in the trade, or another late round pick, to trade up in the second to get Kiwi/Hali/Lawson/Wimbley. One of them will probably be around at the 40-45th pick, but probably won't be at 54.

shaneo69
04-14-2006, 09:43 PM
I don't pay attention to any mock drafts except Gosselin's. Because he's a genious. Because Gretz told me so.

Coogs
04-15-2006, 09:42 AM

I agree. And, I don't think we want to be the last team on the 3-4 bandwagon. I would prefer we be 2nd on the Bears 4-3 defensive scheme. Smaller, faster DE's that get around the bigger OT's before they can get a hand on them.

Grab one of the fast DE's, Lawson would be my choice, and bring in a DT or two in the draft. Not to motivate our current DT's either, but replace them. It could be possible to get the NC State DT, and Wright from Texas in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well.

chiefsfaninNC
04-15-2006, 09:49 AM
I still think we take Eric Winston in the 1st.

nychief
04-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I still think we take Eric Winston in the 1st.

I'd be fine with that... Or any of the top Offensive linemen for that matter, if they happen to fall. Justice would be hard to pass up if he fell that far.

the Talking Can
04-15-2006, 10:09 AM
it would be insane if Young fell that far, and sadly Oakland would not let him pass..he's better than Vick ever was....and I would be sick if the Broncos got White...damn...

nychief
04-15-2006, 10:11 AM
I am pretty confident we will draft a QB sometime that weekend. I would be disappointed if it were Drew - I just don't see him as a high end QB.

CosmicPal
04-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Donte Whitner | Strong Safety | Ohio State | 5-foot-10, 204 pounds

Soaring up draft boards as of late, Whitner's rapid ascent has been justified. Looking to sneak into the late first round, the former Buckeye didn't disappoint with his outstanding Pro Day workout recently. Finishing the day with 40 times of 4.37 and 4.39, Whitner may be better suited to play as a free safety in the NFL rather than as a strong safety.

milkman
04-15-2006, 10:55 AM
I am pretty confident we will draft a QB sometime that weekend. I would be disappointed if it were Drew - I just don't see him as a high end QB.

Drew Olson?

The kid has poise and confidence.
Decent arm strength and leadership qualities.

He's my sleeper pick.

I think he's gonna develop into a damn good NFL QB, who will be one of those clutch time playmakers.

milkman
04-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Donte Whitner | Strong Safety | Ohio State | 5-foot-10, 204 pounds

Soaring up draft boards as of late, Whitner's rapid ascent has been justified. Looking to sneak into the late first round, the former Buckeye didn't disappoint with his outstanding Pro Day workout recently. Finishing the day with 40 times of 4.37 and 4.39, Whitner may be better suited to play as a free safety in the NFL rather than as a strong safety.

I've been on Whitner's bandwagon for awhile.

I was initially hoping he'd be there for us at #54, but he has just raised his stock from mid second round to mid to late first round. :cuss:

nychief
04-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Drew Olson?

The kid has poise and confidence.
Decent arm strength and leadership qualities.

He's my sleeper pick.

I think he's gonna develop into a damn good NFL QB, who will be one of those clutch time playmakers.

I hope you are right, because I feel like CP will grab him - UCLA and all.

milkman
04-15-2006, 11:02 AM
I hope you are right, because I feel like CP will grab him - UCLA and all.

I'm always right!

ROFL I tried, but I couldn't keep a straight when I said that.

CosmicPal
04-15-2006, 11:04 AM
I've been on Whitner's bandwagon for awhile.

I was initially hoping he'd be there for us at #54, but he has just raised his stock from mid second round to mid to late first round. :cuss:

I don't recall ever seeing him play in a football game. Have you? What were your thoughts, if you did?

milkman
04-15-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't recall ever seeing him play in a football game. Have you? What were your thoughts, if you did?

I didn't get to watch a lot of college foot, outside the Pac 10, but I got the chance to see him in one game, and part of another, and he just seemed to always be in the right place to make plays.

Looked like a solid tackler with a hitter's mentality.

CosmicPal
04-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I didn't get to watch a lot of college foot, outside the Pac 10, but I got the chance to see him in one game, and part of another, and he just seemed to always be in the right place to make plays.

Looked like a solid tackler with a hitter's mentality.

He's not going to end up like Thomas Jones or whatever his name was from last year? I figured the Chiefs would draft him, but Carolina took him with the pick before us. (Thank gawd, 'cause he didn't live up to his hype).

milkman
04-15-2006, 11:16 AM
He's not going to end up like Thomas Jones or whatever his name was from last year? I figured the Chiefs would draft him, but Carolina took him with the pick before us. (Thank gawd, 'cause he didn't live up to his hype).

I'm thinking John Lynch type player, without the dirty hits.

CosmicPal
04-15-2006, 11:22 AM
I'm thinking John Lynch type player, without the dirty hits.

Sounds good- while I'm looking for a "true" corner with blazing speed and blanket cover skills, I'm also looking for someone who didn't miss a season due to injury. But, more importantly- don't we already have enough "safties converted to backs" in our system already? Do we really need another one? Seems to me, we're not good at picking defensive linemen or "safties converted to backs", but we keep fuggen trying. Honestly, I'd rather we pick a rushing end opposite Jared Allen than pick another safety, but I suppose I wouldn't be disappointed with this kid either....

milkman
04-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Sounds good- while I'm looking for a "true" corner with blazing speed and blanket cover skills, I'm also looking for someone who didn't miss a season due to injury. But, more importantly- don't we already have enough "safties converted to backs" in our system already? Do we really need another one? Seems to me, we're not good at picking defensive linemen or "safties converted to backs", but we keep fuggen trying. Honestly, I'd rather we pick a rushing end opposite Jared Allen than pick another safety, but I suppose I wouldn't be disappointed with this kid either....

Oh hell no.
I wouldn't want to convert him.
I'd want him at safety.

Wesley needs to find a seat on the bench right next to William Bartee.

My first round chioce would be preferably a D-Lineman, second would have been Whitner, if he hadn't shot up the board.

CosmicPal
04-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Oh hell no.
I wouldn't want to convert him.
I'd want him at safety.

Wesley needs to find a seat on the bench right next to William Bartee.

Honestly, I don't think we'd draft him to play safety. Is Battle ready to be an every-down starter at DB? I don't think so. Is our new donkey acquisition going to be trusted as a starter? I'm not sure. As much as I see him being an improvement over our current safeties, I honestly think we need someone opposite Surtain. And should the Chiefs draft him, it wouldn't surprise me to see us put him opposite Surtain only because at this stage- I think our needs at DB is greater than our needs at Safety. Am I wrong to assume this?

More importantly, I think we would all agree we need better players all over the D-Line.

Coogs
04-15-2006, 12:58 PM
More importantly, I think we would all agree we need better players all over the D-Line.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

You bet! If we are going to run any kind of 4-3, which includes the cover two, we need a front four that can dominate. Two DT's that can push the pocket, and stuff the run at the same time. Two DE's (we have one in Allen) that can bring the heat on each and every play. The kind that cause OT's to false start due to fear of being beat on any given play.

And 3 LB's that can flat fly to the ball and make tackles. We have two in Mitchell and DJ right now.

For all you Hawkeye fans out there. Does Hodge have any chance as an OLB? It appears he could be on the board at our 2nd round pick. From what I recall, he is pretty good at stuffing the run.

milkman
04-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Honestly, I don't think we'd draft him to play safety. Is Battle ready to be an every-down starter at DB? I don't think so. Is our new donkey acquisition going to be trusted as a starter? I'm not sure. As much as I see him being an improvement over our current safeties, I honestly think we need someone opposite Surtain. And should the Chiefs draft him, it wouldn't surprise me to see us put him opposite Surtain only because at this stage- I think our needs at DB is greater than our needs at Safety. Am I wrong to assume this?

I can't answer all of your questions.

I do think Whitner would end up starting, if Hermie is actually true to his words, something I am not convinced of.

I don't disagree about corner, and I definitely agree about the D-Line, however, I think after the front seven, the next place to build a great defense in this day and age, is at safety.

Coogs
04-15-2006, 01:09 PM
I think after the front seven, the next place to build a great defense in this day and age, is at safety.

I agree. And we need at least 4 good draft picks to fill those slots, if not 5. One DE, one to two DT's, one S, and one OLB to replace Bell.

Coogs
04-15-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure what safety spot the Slay kid from Texas Tech plays, but that kid is a tackling machine that knocks people in the dirt. He does not have blazing speed though, which may make him available in say the 5th round for us.

milkman
04-15-2006, 01:17 PM
I agree. And we need at least 4 good draft picks to fill those slots, if not 5. One DE, one to two DT's, one S, and one OLB to replace Bell.

I still have hope that Fox can step up in that one OLB spot.

I think that a DE, a DT and a safety in this draft will go a long way in finally getting this D fixed.

Anything beyond that, in one draft, is just gravy.

Coogs
04-15-2006, 01:20 PM
I still have hope that Fox can step up in that one OLB spot.

I think that a DE, a DT and a safety in this draft will go a long way in finally getting this D fixed.

Anything beyond that, in one draft, is just gravy.

That would be my hope too.

htismaqe
04-15-2006, 01:25 PM
For all you Hawkeye fans out there. Does Hodge have any chance as an OLB? It appears he could be on the board at our 2nd round pick. From what I recall, he is pretty good at stuffing the run.

Hodge is a prototypical MLB.

htismaqe
04-15-2006, 01:27 PM

Yes, you are wrong to assume that. :)

If we're gonna play cover 2, mediocre CB's are much easier to compensate for than bad safeties.

IOW, Surtain + Walls + Knight + Whitner > Surtain + 1st round CB + Knight + WESLEY

milkman
04-15-2006, 01:28 PM
That would be my hope too.

I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to return Battle to safety.
He seems to have all the tools to be a pretty damn good safety, and this whole stupid concept of converting safeties to corners, which was started by Gunt, has been a practice in futility.

htismaqe
04-15-2006, 01:29 PM
who are you? His Agent? Or justa buckeye fan?

Do you want me to kick your ass? That would be like me asking you if you're a Bronco fan.

But as a Hawks fan, I did get a chance to watch him alot, and he's good.

Coogs
04-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Hodge is a prototypical MLB.

OK! Scratch that idea. I just thought he might make a good Strong Side LB.

ChiefsCountry
04-15-2006, 03:39 PM
ProFootball Weekly had Whitner as pick #18. He is good but I am not sold on him for the Chiefs. I still would like to get Hali from Penn State.

Thig Lyfe
04-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Moron.

mcan
04-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Defensive needs:

DE: We need help here. We have one great rushing end, that gets consistantly beat on running downs and overpowered when a left tackle gets his hands on him. (Allen). We have another "tweener" in Carlos Hall, who has speed, but hasn't shown much in his limited time. Hicks is still a solid player, but hasn't been an impact player in many years. He's better than most on this board think, but he's not the special player we all thought he'd turn into after his 10 sack season. After that, we get REALLY thin. (Freeman, Wilkerson). If Browning retires (he plays all 4 line spots) then we should make DE a priority.

DT: Ryan Sims isn't as bad as everyone here thinks, but like Hicks, he hasn't lived up to his potential or his expectations for a top 5 pick. He hasn't gotten on the field as much as anyone would like due to injuries, but when he is out there we get the occaisional glimpse into the kind of player that he can be. Our improved run defense last year is an indication that he's getting better. Lional Dalton is a hell of a player, and he gets his job done. I'm glad to see the Chiefs keep him. Frankly I think we can get by alright with Sims/Dalton up front as long as we can keep Browning healthy to spare them. I get nervous when Siavii goes out there.

Overall Defensive line sense of urgency: B-

Outside linebacker: Johnson is a lock, and will only get better. He's there and we don't need to think about replacing him. But Bell just didn't make an impact at all last year. I'm hoping that a year in the system and another year removed from his injury that he'll bounce back into the attack style player that he was at Pittsburgh. But he's a big question mark. But the biggest concern is, we have ZERO depth here. Fox, Scanlon, and Griffin... How comfortable are you with THAT? Griffin did have an outstanding pre-season last year though...

Middle Linebacker: I think we're alright here. Mitchell is a guy on the rise, but I'm not sold on him entirely. Boomer Grigsby could be a reasonable backup now that he's had some time in the league. And if disaster were to strike, Kendrell Bell ought to be a middle linebacker anyway. I think half of his problems are because we moved him outside.

Overall Linebacker sense of Urgency: C-

Cornerback: Alarm bells should be ringing here. We have one legit corner, and a bunch of scrubs who are trying to prove themselves. Unless we get lucky and one of them becomes starter quality by week 1, we're in trouble. Even then, modern offenses pretty much dictate that you have a great corner at NICKLE now too. In fact Philidelphia sent a nickle corner to the probowl a couple years ago. Even if we get the best corner in the draft (a big if) we're still going to need help, and luck.

Sense of Urgency: A++++

Safety: We're pretty stacked here. Despite his flaws, Wesley is a good player with good range, but he isn't quite good enough yet at reading offenses. Knight isn't a burner, but he's a prototype Strong Safety. A guy with some size and coverage ability who can punish a runner who happens to hit the second level. Frankly, this was Wesley's M.O. as well, but Wesley has better range, so he's our man. We also have Bartee and Woods at backup in case anything goes wrong, or anybody struggles. Bartee was a joke at corner but when he keeps people in front of him (like a good Free Safety) he's actually quite effective and is our best athlete for a center fielder. Woods is a former probowler who may never be as good as he once was, but he's not a waste of a roster spot, and should be as good as anybody we could possibly draft.

Sense of Urgency: D+

milkman
04-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Defensive needs:

DE: We need help here. We have one great rushing end, that gets consistantly beat on running downs and overpowered when a left tackle gets his hands on him. (Allen). We have another "tweener" in Carlos Hall, who has speed, but hasn't shown much in his limited time. Hicks is still a solid player, but hasn't been an impact player in many years. He's better than most on this board think, but he's not the special player we all thought he'd turn into after his 10 sack season. After that, we get REALLY thin. (Freeman, Wilkerson). If Browning retires (he plays all 4 line spots) then we should make DE a priority.

I agree with your assessment of Allen.
Hall has shown he can be a hell of a player, both against the run, and as a pass rusher, if he can stay healthy, which is highly questionable.

Hicks is a fair run defender, but virtually useless against in passing downs.

Wilkerson was used almost exclusively inside last season, and Browning has been used almost exclusively inside since Dick burst onto the scene.

Both, IMO, have been out of position.
They are DEs.

DT: Ryan Sims isn't as bad as everyone here thinks, but like Hicks, he hasn't lived up to his potential or his expectations for a top 5 pick. He hasn't gotten on the field as much as anyone would like due to injuries, but when he is out there we get the occaisional glimpse into the kind of player that he can be. Our improved run defense last year is an indication that he's getting better. Lional Dalton is a hell of a player, and he gets his job done. I'm glad to see the Chiefs keep him. Frankly I think we can get by alright with Sims/Dalton up front as long as we can keep Browning healthy to spare them. I get nervous when Siavii goes out there.

Overall Defensive line sense of urgency: B-

Sims looked like he was finally going to live up to his billing, but injury wasted yet another season.
Unless, and until, he can stay healthy, and be the player he was drafted to be, game in and game out, he is, and will be, a disappointment.

Dalton has been a nice addition, but is, or rather, should be nothing more than depth.

After those two, we are screwed at DT.

D-Line is our number one need.

Outside linebacker: Johnson is a lock, and will only get better. He's there and we don't need to think about replacing him. But Bell just didn't make an impact at all last year. I'm hoping that a year in the system and another year removed from his injury that he'll bounce back into the attack style player that he was at Pittsburgh. But he's a big question mark. But the biggest concern is, we have ZERO depth here. Fox, Scanlon, and Griffin... How comfortable are you with THAT? Griffin did have an outstanding pre-season last year though...

Middle Linebacker: I think we're alright here. Mitchell is a guy on the rise, but I'm not sold on him entirely. Boomer Grigsby could be a reasonable backup now that he's had some time in the league. And if disaster were to strike, Kendrell Bell ought to be a middle linebacker anyway. I think half of his problems are because we moved him outside.

Overall Linebacker sense of Urgency: C-

I pretty much agree here on all points.

Cornerback: Alarm bells should be ringing here. We have one legit corner, and a bunch of scrubs who are trying to prove themselves. Unless we get lucky and one of them becomes starter quality by week 1, we're in trouble. Even then, modern offenses pretty much dictate that you have a great corner at NICKLE now too. In fact Philidelphia sent a nickle corner to the probowl a couple years ago. Even if we get the best corner in the draft (a big if) we're still going to need help, and luck.

Sense of Urgency: A++++

Safety: We're pretty stacked here. Despite his flaws, Wesley is a good player with good range, but he isn't quite good enough yet at reading offenses. Knight isn't a burner, but he's a prototype Strong Safety. A guy with some size and coverage ability who can punish a runner who happens to hit the second level. Frankly, this was Wesley's M.O. as well, but Wesley has better range, so he's our man. We also have Bartee and Woods at backup in case anything goes wrong, or anybody struggles. Bartee was a joke at corner but when he keeps people in front of him (like a good Free Safety) he's actually quite effective and is our best athlete for a center fielder. Woods is a former probowler who may never be as good as he once was, but he's not a waste of a roster spot, and should be as good as anybody we could possibly draft.

Sense of Urgency: D+

These are the two areas that we are miles apart on.

I do agree that we need someone to step up at corner, but unless we get the D-Line fixed, it won't mean jack.

Our corners, even if they have all world talent, are going to get beat consistently unless someone up front can get to the QB.

At safety, we need at least one hard hitting playmaker with speed back there, and none of the guys there fill that need.

Douche Baggins
04-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Prisco only has 4 defensive linemen being taken. I don't see that happening. The Chiefs will grab a top five DL if there is one there for sure.