PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs should trade down and get their 4th round pick back

RedThat
04-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Giants | Team keying on a linebacker in Round One
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 07:32:02 -0700

Gary Myers, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Giants are a virtual lock to draft a linebacker at No. 25 in the first round of the NFL Draft. It will likely come from these three: LB DeMeco Ryans (Alabama), LB Bobby Carpenter (Ohio State) and LB Chad Greenway (Iowa). Carpenter is the son of former Giants RB Rob Carpenter.

Saw this. Thought it might be interesting. We could have a possible trade partner?

I figure if Greenway is still sitting there at 20, a team like the Giants would probably be licking their chops, and might want to trade up with us?

We could then get our 4th rounder back.... Possibly some other extra picks and
who knows? jmo

htismaqe
04-16-2006, 11:24 AM
If we're targetting someone like Hali or Watson, it would make sense to trade down...

RedThat
04-16-2006, 11:34 AM
If we're targetting someone like Hali or Watson, it would make sense to trade down...

I also think it makes sense, and is a very smart thing to do. We get back the pick we gave up for coach Edwards, and just the fact that we can get an extra player in the later rounds. And I have a good feeling about it if we get that pick back because we are pretty good at drafting in rounds 4 or 5.

Tamba Hali may be there at say 24, or 25? Even if he isn't, there will be somebody there at 25? I even still think we can still get a good CB at 25.

Husky4506
04-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Not if Tye Hill is there

Dave Lane
04-16-2006, 11:42 AM
It depends on who we'd still like and how many of these are available at #20. For example if 4 players that we consider more or less equal are available at 20 then a trade to 25 makes sense especially if we know our trade partner wants a LB which we don't need.

Dave

JBucc
04-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Why not. Outside of the top fifteen or so it seems like there's a big clump of players that could go anwhere in the first round

milkman
04-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Not if Tye Hill is there

If a trade down means we DON'T draft Tye Hill, I'm all for it!

RedThat
04-16-2006, 11:53 AM
I believe if we trade down, it is a very, very smart thing to do.

It also gives us more options, and makes us more flexible in our approach in this years draft.

Let us not forget, there are 7 good quality CB's in this year's draft. At one time or another, these guys had 1st round grades. Im talking about guys like Antonio Cromartie, Tye Hill, Ashton Youboty, Jonathan Joseph, Richard Marshall, etc, etc.

Now, I think it is a possiblilty that ALL these guys won't be drafted in the first.
But, I really don't think that 1 of those guys will fall to us in the middle of 2nd round.

Enter the trade down scenario. I like it because at least it gives us an extra draft pick. We could then turn around, and use that extra draft pick as leverage, possibly as bait to trade up to the early part of the 2nd round and get a good quality CB.

Cochise
04-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I think there's zero chance that a premium position like CB won't be selected at all in the first.

StcChief
04-16-2006, 11:58 AM
I believe if we trade down, it is a very, very smart thing to do.

It also gives us more options, and makes us more flexible in our approach in this years draft.

Let us not forget, there are 7 good quality CB's in this year's draft. At one time or another, these guys had 1st round grades. Im talking about guys like Antonio Cromartie, Tye Hill, Ashton Youboty, Jonathan Joseph, Richard Marshall, etc, etc.

Now, I think it is a possiblilty that ALL these guys won't be drafted in the first.
But, I really don't think that 1 of those guys will fall to us in the middle of 2nd round.

Enter the trade down scenario. I like it because at least it gives us an extra draft pick. We could then turn around, and use that extra draft pick as leverage, possibly as bait to trade up to the early part of the 2nd round and get a good quality CB.

Makes alot of sense.

Lets see what our new brain trusts are thinking on Draft Day

This would be nice to have a good draft day all the way thru for once.

UteChief
04-16-2006, 12:03 PM
As long as we don't trade down and pick up another TE, I will be happy.

RedThat
04-16-2006, 12:03 PM
I think there's zero chance that a premium position like CB won't be selected at all in the first.

No kidding. Are you for real Einstein? :p

RedThat
04-16-2006, 12:06 PM
It depends on who we'd still like and how many of these are available at #20. For example if 4 players that we consider more or less equal are available at 20 then a trade to 25 makes sense especially if we know our trade partner wants a LB which we don't need.

Dave

Yup. I see what you mean and agree....I think that it is very good possiblity a guy we want will be available by 24, or 25.

StcChief
04-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Yup. I see what you mean and agree....I think that it is very good possiblity a guy we want will be available by 24, or 25.
As long as it's at DT, DE, S

Not 'best player/athlete' available.

htismaqe
04-16-2006, 12:22 PM
As long as it's at DT, DE, S

Not 'best player/athlete' available.

I would add CB to that list, although I would put it after DT, DE, and S in order of priority.