PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins. Will we have two presidents in a row impeached?

Bowser
04-16-2006, 05:21 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060408/pl_nm/bush_vermont_dc_1

BigMeatballDave
04-16-2006, 05:34 PM
We have noone to blame but ourselves...

patteeu
04-17-2006, 10:08 AM
I doubt it.

Chief Faithful
04-17-2006, 10:46 AM
The Democrats know it would be foolish and political suicide to try an impeachment, but it has proved politically beneficial to keep the negative rhetoric in front of the public. Perception of corruption not actual impeachment is the goal.

jAZ
04-17-2006, 10:50 AM
This is a lower level grass roots effort (not a national effort). My guess is that these folks are very serious about wanting to impeach. It's not merely an indirect political tool. It's actually likely to hurt the Dems not help them for exactly the reasons your mentioned.

Cochise
04-17-2006, 10:55 AM
:rolleyes: Let's hear the one law they have a case on...

Chief Faithful
04-17-2006, 10:57 AM
This is a lower level grass roots effort (not a national effort). My guess is that these folks are very serious about wanting to impeach. It's not merely an indirect political tool. It's actually likely to hurt the Dems not help them for exactly the reasons your mentioned.

I agree the Dems won't put wheels on the wagon, but I do believe they will help keep it in the public view and even encourage the descent.

Mr. Kotter
04-17-2006, 11:13 AM
The Democrats know it would be foolish and political suicide to try an impeachment, but it has proved politically beneficial to keep the negative rhetoric in front of the public. Perception of corruption not actual impeachment is the goal.That's pretty much right....some folks, still, just don't understand the process of impeachment....:rolleyes:

Show us credible evidence (not politically motivated rhetoric or demgoguery) that a crime was committed (for example, perjury, obstruction of justice), and most of us (me included) will be in agreement that we should move forward. And we just aren't there yet; will we get there? Maybe, maybe not. :shrug:

However, even with that....it requires an action by the House of Representatives, that is highly unlikely given the Republican control of that chamber. Unless the Dems take back the House (which they could), it's silly to even discuss it (not like that's ever stopped us before.)

go bowe
04-17-2006, 02:39 PM
given the almost perfected art of gerrymandering, it is very unlikely that the republicans will lose enough seats to lose control of the house...

banyon
04-17-2006, 06:58 PM
:rolleyes: Let's hear the one law they have a case on...

just to play devil's advocate...

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/ccr/images/Impeachment%20LowRes.JPG

Our investigation has found that President Bush and members of his Administration made numerous public statements to the effect that a decision had not been made to invade Iraq, when in fact the record indicates that such a decision had been made. We have found substantial evidence that these individuals have Conspired to Defraud the United States in violation of 18 U.S.C.'371.

Our investigation has found that there is substantial evidence the Bush Administration redeployed military assets in the immediate vicinity of Iraq and conducted bombing raids on Iraq in 2002 in possible violation of the War Powers Resolution, Pub. L. No. 93-148, and laws prohibiting the Misuse of Government Funds, 31 U.S.C. ' 1301.

Our investigation has found that President Bush and members of his Administration made numerous knowingly or recklessly false statements regarding linkages between Iraq, terrorism and the September 11 attacks, and also sought to manipulate intelligence to support these statements. This includes misstatements concerning general linkages between Iraq and al Qaeda; an alleged meeting between Mohammed Atta and Iraqi Intelligence officials; and allegations that Iraq was training al Qaeda members to use chemical and biological weapons. We have found substantial evidence that the knowing and reckless false statements and intelligence manipulation by these individuals constitutes a Conspiracy to Defraud the United States in violation of 18 U.S.C. ' 371.

Our investigation has found that President Bush and members of his Administration made knowing or recklessly false statements regarding Iraq's effort to acquire nuclear weapons, including general claims regarding such acquisition; assertions based on claims by Saddam Hussein's son-in-law; and a statement by Mr. Bush that Iraq was within six months of obtaining a nuclear weapon. We have identified substantial evidence that these actions may constitute a Conspiracy to Defraud the United States in violation of 18 U.S.C. ' 371.

Our investigation has found that President Bush and members of his Administration made numerous knowingly and recklessly false statements that Iraq was seeking to acquire aluminum tubes in order to build a uranium centrifuge and leaked classified information to the press in order to further buttress their arguments for war. There is substantial evidence that these knowing and reckless statements constitute a Conspiracy to Defraud the United States in violation of 18 U.S.C. Sec. 371, and the leak of the classified information constitutes Gathering, Transmitting or Losing Defense Information and Gathering or Delivering Defense Information to Aid a Foreign Government, in violation of 18 U.S.C. ' 793-94.

We have found that President Bush and members of his Administration made numerous knowingly and recklessly false statements that Iraq had sought to acquire enriched uranium from Niger. There is substantial evidence that these individuals have Conspired to Defraud the United States in violation of 18 U.S.C. ' 371 and that President Bush's statements and certifications before and to Congress may constitute Making a False Statement to Congress in violation of 18 U.S.C. ' 1001.

Our investigation has found that President Bush and members of his Administration have made numerous knowingly or recklessly false statements regarding Iraq's chemical and biological weapons capability. This includes false statements regarding Iraq's possession of chemical weapons generally; a charge by an Iraqi defector that he had helped bury significant amounts of chemical and other weapons; the existence of mobile chemical weapons laboratories; and Iraq's ability to deliver such weapons using unmanned aerial vehicles. We have found substantial evidence that the knowingly and recklessly false statements by these individuals constitutes a Conspiracy to Defraud the United States in violation of 18 U.S.C. ' 371, as well as evidence that the President's statements concerning mobile biological weapons may have constituted a False Statement to Congress in violation of 18 U.S.C. ' 1001.

Our investigation has found that there is substantial evidence that individuals within the Bush Administration have violated a number of domestic laws and international treaty obligations concerning the mistreatment of detainees in Iraq, including the Anti-Torture Statute, 18 U.S.C. ' 2339; the War Crimes Act; 18 U.S.C. ' 2441; the Geneva and Hague Conventions; the Convention Against Torture, Cruel, Inhuman, and Degrading Treatment; and the legal principle of command responsibility.

Our investigation has found there is substantial evidence that (i) the President has abrogated his obligation under Executive Order 12958 to take corrective action concerning acknowledged leaks of classified information within his Administration; (ii) these leaks appear to have been committed to, among other things, exact retribution against Ambassador Wilson for disclosing that the Bush Administration knew that the Niger documents were forgeries and that such conduct constitutes a Misuse of Government Funds in violation of 31 U.S.C. ' 1301; and (iii) then Attorney General Ashcroft participated in a pending criminal investigation involving Karl Rove at a time when he had a personal and political relationship with Mr. Rove in violation of applicable conflict of interest requirements, namely 28 C.F.R. ' 452, ' 2-2.170 of the U.S. Attorneys Manual, and Sec. 1.7(b)(4) of the D.C. Rules of Professional Conduct. In addition, we have found that there have been a number of lies, misstatements, and delays by Members of the Bush Administration since the criminal investigation into the leak was commenced, however it is unclear whether these rise to the level of constituting a Conspiracy to Defraud the United States in contravention of 18 U.S.C. ' 371.House judiciary report (http://www.house.gov/judiciary_democrats/iraqrept.html)

We have also found substantial evidence that members of the Bush Administration have engaged in a pattern of seeking to exact retribution against a series of individuals, both inside and outside of the Administration, who have exposed wrongdoing or otherwise criticized their misconduct with regard to the Iraq War. There is substantial evidence that certain of these actions constitute a violation of the Whistleblowers Protection Act, 5 U.S.C. ' 2302; while other actions may constitute Obstruction of Congress, 18 U.S.C. ' 1505; the Lloyd-La Follette Act, 5 U.S.C. ' 7211; Retaliating Against Witnesses, 18 U.S.C. ' 1513; and Misuse of Government Funds, 31 U.S.C. ' 1301.

Our investigation has found that the pattern of misstatements by individuals in the Bush Administration has continued well after the invasion of Iraq. It is unclear whether this pattern is sufficient to constitute a Conspiracy to Defraud the United States in violation of 18 U.S.C. ' 371.

Our investigation has found that while the allegations set forth in this Report rise to the level of impeachable misconduct by the President, the Vice President, and other high ranking officials within the Administration, more information and investigatory authority is needed before recommendations can be made concerning specific Articles of Impeachment. This is due to the fact, that, among other things, the Bush Administration has largely ignored efforts by Members of Congress to obtain necessary information and documents, and the Republican Congress has failed to conduct oversight on these matters.

House Resolution 635 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.RES.635:)

Chiefs Express
04-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Just reading this stuff makes me understand why the democrats will lose the election in 2008. They are still mounting a battle to impeach a lame duck president all the while letting anything that might have something to do with building a platform to run on in 2008 lie in waste, not to mention the upcoming elections in 2006 that will determine the mix in the senate and the house of reps.

It's OK with me that you can't see the forrest for the trees, it just means that my 401K will continue to grow for the next 6 years...or more.

Chiefs Express
04-17-2006, 08:05 PM
just to play devil's advocate...

So now you are attempting to speak for Vlad the devil?

Logical
04-17-2006, 08:08 PM
He won't be impeached and frankly the alternative is worse. The best we can hope for is Cheney resigns and Rove is driven out by the Libby ordeal. Then the sock puppet will be lost and less likely to do damage for the remainder of his term.

Logical
04-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Just reading this stuff makes me understand why the democrats will lose the election in 2008. They are still mounting a battle to impeach a lame duck president all the while letting anything that might have something to do with building a platform to run on in 2008 lie in waste, not to mention the upcoming elections in 2006 that will determine the mix in the senate and the house of reps.

It's OK with me that you can't see the forrest for the trees, it just means that my 401K will continue to grow for the next 6 years...or more.

Your 401 K grew far more under Clinton than it will ever think of growing under Bush. Were you not paying attention. I have lots of reasons I disliked Clinton but his impact on my finances is certainly not one of them.

Chiefs Express
04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
He won't be impeached and frankly the alternative is worse. The best we can hope for is Cheney resigns and Rove is driven out by the Libby ordeal. Then the sock puppet will be lost and less likely to do damage for the remainder of his term.

The vivid dreams of a madman!

First, you are correct...Bush will not be impeached.

After that you have left reality, but that seems to be a part of your new persona.

You need to use all of you influence with the democratic party and get them to quit focusing on Bush and on some kind of platform for the 2006 and 2008 elections.

If the dems don't have something to run on they will be run overe again.