PDA

View Full Version : $2.87, $2.92, $3.03

vailpass
04-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Regular, Mid-Grade, Premium.

Pulled up to the gas pump here in Phoenix this morning and saw three dollar gas for the first time in my life.

We spend $450-$500/month on gas as it is. An increase is the last thing we want to see.

Just in time for summer vacationers who choose to drive instead of fly.

Ari Chi3fs
04-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I bought in Harrisonville last night, $2.49 wooo hoo!! bargains baby! bargains.

ENDelt260
04-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Pulled up to the gas pump here in Phoenix this morning and saw three dollar gas for the first time in my life.

You didn't notice it last year?

DJay23
04-17-2006, 10:57 AM
We had it up to $3.19 right after Katrina hit. The lowest it hit after that was somewhere around $2.10. Right now it is $2.79. It had been around $2.30 for the longest time until Easter week. Of course the oil companies know people will be travelling so why not rape their wallets.

My prediction is that everyplace gets to $3.00 by Memorial Day and we never see gas lower than $3.00 a gallon.

This question may vault this thread into the political forum, but why haven't reserve barrels been released. I remember in the 90's when gas prices started rising, Clinton released barrels of oil from the reserve and the price stabilized. What's the deal? Why can't Bush do the same?

Ari Chi3fs
04-17-2006, 11:00 AM
The Bush family owned Zapata Oil that merged with Pennslyvania oil creating Pennzoil. Z for Zapata.

The Bushes owned 1/2 of Pennzoil with Hugh Leitke who became CEO of Pennzoil... They since merged with Dutch Shell. They make too much money when fuel is low. Its not good for their estates to have lower gas. Just an FYI.

DJay23
04-17-2006, 11:03 AM
The Bush family owned Zapata Oil that merged with Pennslyvania oil created Pennzoil. Z for Zapata. The Bushes owned 1/2 of Pennzoil with Hugh Leitke who became CEO of Pennzoil... They since merged with Dutch Shell. They make too much money when fuel is low. Its not good for their estates to have lower gas. Just an FYI.
I had assumed that Bush's pockets were getting fat too, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some explanation other than, "Bush hates middle class Americans."

vailpass
04-17-2006, 11:03 AM
You didn't notice it last year?

You mean when the "pipeline broke"? I don't recall it ever topping $3.00.

ENDelt260
04-17-2006, 11:04 AM
You mean when the "pipeline broke"? I don't recall it ever topping $3.00.
No... last year after the hurricanes. The pipeline thing was back in 03. At least I think it was 03. I know I was still working for Motorola, so it was awhile ago.

Dartgod
04-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Hehe. I paid $1.99 a gallon yesterday.

Saulbadguy
04-17-2006, 11:13 AM
It was 3.09 several times last year during Katrina.

Dunit35
04-17-2006, 11:17 AM

How'd your lucky ass get ahold of that?

NewChief
04-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Regular, Mid-Grade, Premium.

I bet you're loving putting the Premium into that V70XC aren't you? I filled up my wife's yesterday and was grumbling that we'll hit over $3 soon here for Premium. It was 2.87 yesterday.

Gonzo
04-17-2006, 11:19 AM
I can get you all a lifetime of free gas if you like! All you have to do is send me 9.95 plus S&H for this handy dandy miracale fuel transferral machine. How does it work? You may ask....well, I'll send you a detailed set of instructions for free! But wait, there's more! If you order within the next ten minutes, I'll include a second fuel transferral machine for FREE!

(Gonzo industries is not responsible for any injuries or criminal charges. The fuel transferral machine is for entertainment purposes only.)

ORDER NOW!!!!

Boozer
04-17-2006, 11:20 AM

Skim or 2%?

ENDelt260
04-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Skim or 2%?
Dartgod strikes me as a homo man.

Dartgod
04-17-2006, 11:22 AM
How'd your lucky ass get ahold of that?
You wouldn't believe me if I told you. I couldn't believe it myself.

I got it about 12 miles or so from Clinton, MO.

Katipan
04-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Dartgod strikes me as a homo man.

oh god that was horrible

Dartgod
04-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Skim or 2%?Neither, it was regular unleaded gasoline. Works wonders in internal combustion engines.

Dartgod
04-17-2006, 11:25 AM
oh god that was horrible
I figured if I didn't acknowledge it, he would go away.

ENDelt260
04-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Fat chance. I've already received validation via my rep screen.

Katipan
04-17-2006, 11:26 AM

haahahahaahahaahahaahahaha

oh sweetheart. is this your first day?

Dunit35
04-17-2006, 11:28 AM
You wouldn't believe me if I told you. I couldn't believe it myself.

I got it about 12 miles or so from Clinton, MO.

I'd believe you. Shell was running a special in Enid, OK Saturday and gas was only $1.99. All three stores ran out in two hours.

Dartgod
04-17-2006, 11:28 AM
haahahahaahahaahahaahahaha

oh sweetheart. is this your first day?
No, I'm just used to being wrong a lot.

ENDelt260
04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
No, I'm just used to being wrong a lot.
I used to never be wrong. Now it seems like I'm wrong all the time. It's weird.

Dartgod
04-17-2006, 11:31 AM
I'd believe you. Shell was running a special in Enid, OK Saturday and gas was only $1.99. All three stores ran out in two hours.
This was actually at Bucksaw Marina on Truman Lake. We took our pontoon boat out yesterday and I figured they'd be over $3.00 a gallon. I was trying to figure out a way to drive my truck down on the dock so I could fill it up too.

plbrdude
04-17-2006, 11:32 AM
we're at 2.63 . i saw 3.13 deisle last year after the hurricanes. i noticed several year ago that at holiday time the price would jump usually 4 to 7 cents. so i don't think there is ever any gouging by the oil companies, not ever.

Dartgod
04-17-2006, 11:32 AM
I used to never be wrong. Now it seems like I'm wrong all the time. It's weird.It started happening to me about 7 years ago. You'll get used to it.

Dunit35
04-17-2006, 11:33 AM
This was actually at Bucksaw Marina on Truman Lake. We took our pontoon boat out yesterday and I figured they'd be over $3.00 a gallon. I was trying to figure out a way to drive my truck down on the dock so I could fill it up too.

I have never been to Truman Lake. My dad has been there hundreds of times and only has good things to say about it. That and Lake of the Ozarks. Have you ever been to Wilson Lake in Kansas? That's the biggest/ clearest lake I've ever seen.

Dartgod
04-17-2006, 11:37 AM
I have never been to Truman Lake. My dad has been there hundreds of times and only has good things to say about it. That and Lake of the Ozarks. Have you ever been to Wilson Lake in Kansas? That's the biggest/ clearest lake I've ever seen.
No, never heard of it.

I was at Beaver Lake in Arkansas a couple of years ago. It's got some pretty clear water too. I guess there are a lot of people that scuba dive in it. I personally know a couple of people who got their scuba certification there.

Dunit35
04-17-2006, 11:40 AM
No, never heard of it.

I was at Beaver Lake in Arkansas a couple of years ago. It's got some pretty clear water too. I guess there are a lot of people that scuba dive in it. I personally know a couple of people who got their scuba certification there.

You should check it out. Amazing Striper and smallmouth fishing. I caught several smallmouth one weekend. The state record striper was caught out of there a few times. But I think another lake owns it now. Wilson is probably about 3 1/2- 4 hours away from KC.

BigMeatballDave
04-17-2006, 11:51 AM
$2.79. What do you mean you saw $3 gas for the 1st time? You didn't see $3+ during/after Katrina?

vailpass
04-17-2006, 11:51 AM
I bet you're loving putting the Premium into that V70XC aren't you? I filled up my wife's yesterday and was grumbling that we'll hit over $3 soon here for Premium. It was 2.87 yesterday.

Oh you know it, nothing like a $50 tank of gas when your tank only holds 16 gallons :deevee:

Is your wife liking her XC?

BigMeatballDave
04-17-2006, 11:54 AM
You mean when the "pipeline broke"? I don't recall it ever topping $3.00.Shit. It was up to $3.29 during Katrina...

BigMeatballDave
04-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Hehe. I paid $1.99 a gallon yesterday.**** off!

:)

sd4chiefs
04-17-2006, 12:02 PM
It's now offical. A barrel of oil just hit $70.00. :(

NewChief
04-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Oh you know it, nothing like a $50 tank of gas when your tank only holds 16 gallons :deevee:

Is your wife liking her XC?

Yeah, it's okay. We've had some issues with the drive shaft on the AWD. I'd like to get rid of it, but she still loves it. She says if I make her get rid of it, she wants a VW Toureig...so I'd just be going out of the frying pan and into the fire as far as overly expensive European autos with ridiculously high maintenance costs.

BWillie
04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
When I first started driving I filled up for $1.12. This is getting rediculous. Lets drill in freaking Alaska already.

Simplex3
04-17-2006, 12:14 PM
We had it up to $3.19 right after Katrina hit. The lowest it hit after that was somewhere around $2.10. Right now it is $2.79. It had been around $2.30 for the longest time until Easter week. Of course the oil companies know people will be travelling so why not rape their wallets.
It's called supply and demand. The demand increases, the supply does not, therefore the price goes up. You probably went to a govt school, so they didn't teach you that.
My prediction is that everyplace gets to $3.00 by Memorial Day and we never see gas lower than $3.00 a gallon.

This question may vault this thread into the political forum, but why haven't reserve barrels been released. I remember in the 90's when gas prices started rising, Clinton released barrels of oil from the reserve and the price stabilized. What's the deal? Why can't Bush do the same?
:spock:

What's the f**king emergency? I think waffles are too expensive, should we release some of our Eggo reserves?

ENDelt260
04-17-2006, 12:33 PM
We have Eggo reserves? Why didn't anyone tell me about this?

Donger
04-17-2006, 12:34 PM
I love these threads.

Saulbadguy
04-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Shut the **** up, Donger.

Donger
04-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Shut the **** up, Donger.

ROFL

Brock
04-17-2006, 01:02 PM
When I first started driving I filled up for $1.12. This is getting rediculous. Lets drill in freaking Alaska already.

Oil supply is not what is affecting gas supply right now. What most people don't know is that as of right now, today, there is not a single refinery in the United States producing gasoline. They are all shut down for "spring cleaning". Part of the benefit of an oligopoly.

Saulbadguy
04-17-2006, 01:03 PM
What's the f**king emergency? I think waffles are too expensive, should we release some of our Eggo reserves?
Waffles are just pancakes with little syrup traps.

Radar Chief
04-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Waffles are just pancakes with little syrup traps.

Eggs-zactly. :thumb:

Donger
04-17-2006, 01:12 PM
Oil supply is not what is affecting gas supply right now. What most people don't know is that as of right now, today, there is not a single refinery in the United States producing gasoline. They are all shut down for "spring cleaning". Part of the benefit of an oligopoly.

Let's not forget that they are all required by the government to stop MTBE this year. Also, they have to deal with Tier 2 requirements as well. All while running at closr to 100%

Fun.

Dartgod
04-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Let's not forget that they are all required by the government to stop MTBE this year. Also, they have to deal with Tier 2 requirements as well. All while running at closr to 100%

Fun.
What does this mean?

Yes, I'm a dumbass...

Katipan
04-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Donger likes to wave his big dick around

Donger
04-17-2006, 01:26 PM
What does this mean?

Yes, I'm a dumbass...

Our government forces the refineries to make changes to the gasoline based on the time of year. They are being forced to remove MTBE completely now, after being forced to add it by the government back in 1990, IIRC. Tier 2 gasoline has reduced sulfur content, which requires the refineries to make changes to their refining process. That's also mandated by our government.

To make these changes, they are forced to take parts of the refinery off-line.

Donger
04-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Donger likes to wave his big dick around

It's not my fault; it's gravity's fault.

Dartgod
04-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Our government forces the refineries to make changes to the gasoline based on the time of year. They are being forced to remove MTBE completely now, after being forced to add it by the government back in 1990, IIRC. Tier 2 gasoline has reduced sulfur content, which requires the refineries to make changes to their refining process. That's also mandated by our government.

Thanks..

Frazod
04-17-2006, 01:54 PM

I understand. The government, which the oil companies largely control, forces them to stop production, resulting in fuel shortages that in turn lead to record prices, and ultimately record profits.

Did I miss anything here?

Those poor oil companies. Oh, the humanity. :shake:

Donger
04-17-2006, 01:58 PM
I understand. The government, which the oil companies largely control, forces them to stop production, resulting in fuel shortages that in turn lead to record prices, and ultimately record profits.

Did I miss anything here?

Those poor oil companies. Oh, the humanity. :shake:

Neither the government nor the oil companies set crude oil prices, which amount for over 45% of the price of gasoline. The present spike, which happens every year around this time, is due to the things mentioned above plus gearing up for increased demand for the driving season.

Unless, of course, you'd like them not to be able to meet demand.

vailpass
04-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah, it's okay. We've had some issues with the drive shaft on the AWD. I'd like to get rid of it, but she still loves it. She says if I make her get rid of it, she wants a VW Toureig...so I'd just be going out of the frying pan and into the fire as far as overly expensive European autos with ridiculously high maintenance costs.

Sorry to hear it; I just took mine in for an oil change and ended up spending an extra $105 for a broken motor mount. Still, I sure do like the way it drives.

Read the Consumer' Reports on the Toureig, they rate real low on reliability. I'm a VW fan but it looks like they have some bugs to work out on this one.