PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network Seeks Pay Hike

Dave Lane
04-17-2006, 01:17 PM
They only have to pay $.20 per subscriber and Time Warner says thats too much! Damn now its $.40 I'll never get to see it I mean I only pay $100 per month for service :harumph:

Dave

NFL Network Seeks Pay Hike
By R. Thomas Umstead 4/17/2006 6:08:00 AM

Armed with a new eight-game Thursday- and Saturday-night National Football League package, NFL Network is looking to score significant increases in affiliate fees and subscribers before the regular season begins in September.

Negotiations are under way with current affiliates of the channel and nonaffiliates on a new rate card that operators said carries a whopping 125% rate increase and a mandate that the network be carried on well-penetrated expanded-basic tiers if operators are to receive the live games.

The 35 million-subscriber network pitched operators the last week of March in an effort to sign up as many distributors as possible before the league’s regular season begins in September, individuals close to the network said.

Most current affiliation deals do not include the $300 million eight-game package, which begins Thanksgiving night.

Operators with knowledge of the deal said the rate card jumps from the current 20 cents to 25 cents per subscriber to 50-75 cents, including the live eight-game package. The fee also includes the channel’s popular on-demand fare.

Sources close to the league said only direct-broadcast satellite provider DirecTV Inc. -- which has exclusive rights to the league’s “NFL Sunday Ticket” out-of-market package -- has officially signed on to carry the live games. The channel is on its “Total Choice” basic package.

NFL officials would not comment on the matter and DirecTV officials could not be reached for comment at press time.

NFL Network vice president of national accounts Brian Decker said operators like Comcast Corp. that are currently carrying the network have a “mechanism” by which they could pay a surcharge for the eight games, but he would not disclose specific costs. He added that the network is offering great value to distributors at a reasonable cost, well below traditional sports networks like ESPN.

NFL Network president Steve Bornstein said he’s confident that the network will reach distribution deals before the games begin airing.

And network spokesman Seth Palansky cautioned operators that waiting too long to reach an agreement could lead even higher fees.

For more on NFL Network, please see R. Thomas Umstead’s story on page nine of Monday’s issue of Multichannel News.
:harumph:

morphius
04-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Part of me is hoping that this blows up in their face, the other part of me is hoping that the cable providers are forced to bring it down to the extended basic level.

tk13
04-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Most current affiliation deals do not include the $300 million eight-game package, which begins Thanksgiving night.

Operators with knowledge of the deal said the rate card jumps from the current 20 cents to 25 cents per subscriber to 50-75 cents, including the live eight-game package. The fee also includes the channel’s popular on-demand fare.

Sources close to the league said only direct-broadcast satellite provider DirecTV Inc. -- which has exclusive rights to the league’s “NFL Sunday Ticket” out-of-market package -- has officially signed on to carry the live games. The channel is on its “Total Choice” basic package.

That is huge. NBC networks did that with the Olympics, charged an extra fee to receive that particular coverage. That means at the current time, if you have NFL Network through Dish or your local cable company, you're not getting those games... yet. Obviously plenty of time for them to work deals out but it'll be interesting to see how many cable companies refuse to pay that extra fee just to get the games.

StcChief
04-17-2006, 01:30 PM
Next bars will raise beer prices during NFL Network games to cover the cost....

ct
04-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Part of me is hoping that this blows up in their face, the other part of me is hoping that the cable providers are forced to bring it down to the extended basic level.

I've been holding off getting digital cable package with Cox KS, in hopes they move it to a basic package. But then again, I really would like to have NFL Network before the draft, so I don't have to listen to Kiper for 8 hours Saturday.

chiefqueen
04-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Time Warner is so slow.......we'll never get NFL Network. (I can't do Satellite, Skip, b/c I live in a condo complex, the HOA decides things like that).

Right now, I'm just hoping to find a sports bar in Vega$ to watch the Denver game (w/o having to lay down a $1,000 bet) and thinking about staying in KC until the morning of 12/24 to make sure I can see the Faiders game.

Coogs
04-17-2006, 01:40 PM
That means at the current time, if you have NFL Network through Dish .... you're not getting those games... yet. Obviously plenty of time for them to work deals out but it'll be interesting to see how many cable companies refuse to pay that extra fee just to get the games.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I have Dish! Hope they get this worked out before the games begin. I will get the Chiefs games on the local channel broadcast, but the other games I probably won't at this time.

tk13
04-17-2006, 01:46 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I have Dish! Hope they get this worked out before the games begin. I will get the Chiefs games on the local channel broadcast, but the other games I probably won't at this time.
I would think Dish would get a deal in place before the season. I'd be more worried about some of these cable companies that seem slow to catch on to the channel. I don't really know, that's just an educated guess.

Then again, Dish got rid of Outdoor Life Network because OLN tried to jack their prices up because they got the NHL package. So maybe they won't cave in to the NFL...

morphius
04-17-2006, 01:47 PM
I've been holding off getting digital cable package with Cox KS, in hopes they move it to a basic package. But then again, I really would like to have NFL Network before the draft, so I don't have to listen to Kiper for 8 hours Saturday.
I'm going to hold off on digital cable as long as humanly possible. When I reach that point I will start debating whether I should switch to Direct TV or not.

ZootedGranny
04-17-2006, 01:48 PM
Comcast plans to buy out the Kansas City market this summer, so it looks like the KC area will be getting the NFL Network.

Personally, I'd rather keep TW's superior internet services, pricepoint and cable box GUI instead of getting the NFL Network, but it doesn't look like I have a choice. At least Comcast makes efforts to expand their HD offerings.

morphius
04-17-2006, 01:49 PM
I would think Dish would get a deal in place before the season. I'd be more worried about some of these cable companies that seem slow to catch on to the channel. I don't really know, that's just an educated guess.

Then again, Dish got rid of Outdoor Life Network because OLN tried to jack their prices up because they got the NHL package. So maybe they won't cave in to the NFL...
Of course I think OLN is owned by Comcast, so that could have been another reason they decided to drop them, just blaming the cost made it easy.

morphius
another checkmark against Dish.

morphius
04-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Comcast plans to buy out the Kansas City market this summer, so it looks like the KC area will be getting the NFL Network.

Personally, I'd rather keep TW's superior internet services, pricepoint and cable box GUI instead of getting the NFL Network, but it doesn't look like I have a choice. At least Comcast makes efforts to expand their HD offerings.
I keep hoping that Everest will get back into the expansion game. The things they forced TW to do to compete was great.

ChiefsCountry
04-17-2006, 01:51 PM

XFL got better ratings than the NHL. NFL brings in such good ratings it would piss too many people off.

tk13
04-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Of course I think OLN is owned by Comcast, so that could have been another reason they decided to drop them, just blaming the cost made it easy.

morphius
another checkmark against Dish.
Well I'm pretty sure OLN did go to the companies and say "We have the NHL now, pay us this or drop us", and Dish said no. Leaves the NHL fans in the dark though.

tk13
04-17-2006, 01:55 PM
XFL got better ratings than the NHL. NFL brings in such good ratings it would piss too many people off.
Yeah, that's why I think Dish will do it. I could see some cable companies being stubborn though.

morphius
04-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Well I'm pretty sure OLN did go to the companies and say "We have the NHL now, pay us this or drop us", and Dish said no. Leaves the NHL fans in the dark though.
Plus it is only, normally, two games a week. Not exactly a huge reason to jump to them when you can get some of the fans to just fork over the money for the NHL PPV plan. I mean hell, I love my Av's, but I have only seen 4/5 games this year.

chiefqueen
04-17-2006, 02:05 PM

The queenmum has Comcast back in Baltimore and ZootedGranny is right Comcast's internet service sucks as it is slow IMO.

Ultra Peanut
04-17-2006, 11:15 PM
I MUST WATCH RICH EISEN FOR THE NEXT TWELVE HOURS

Jayhawkerman2001
04-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Time Warner is so slow.......we'll never get NFL Network. (I can't do Satellite, Skip, b/c I live in a condo complex, the HOA decides things like that).

Right now, I'm just hoping to find a sports bar in Vega$ to watch the Denver game (w/o having to lay down a $1,000 bet) and thinking about staying in KC until the morning of 12/24 to make sure I can see the Faiders game.

They have to allow you to beable to have a dish there. Its a law that they cant, but they can tell you what not to put it on. What i did, i put a lawn chair on my porch and drilled holes into it and propped it up on there. Im for real, if you dont mess up anything of theirs, they have to let you get a dish.

VonneMarie
04-17-2006, 11:20 PM

How did I miss this post? Oh, well...

YES!

alanm
04-17-2006, 11:33 PM

Were you aware that there is a federal law that supercedes your condo agreement against satellite setups. Your condo can't deny you satellite. You can turn them in. :)

Deberg_1990
04-18-2006, 02:54 AM
Thank god i have DirectTV. Ive had them for about 5 1/2 years now. If i can help it, ill never go back to Time Warner.

Rausch
04-18-2006, 02:55 AM
I MUST WATCH RICH EISEN FOR THE NEXT TWELVE HOURS

I have no idea why they hired him for the flagship spot...

Garcia Bronco
04-18-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm going to hold off on digital cable as long as humanly possible. When I reach that point I will start debating whether I should switch to Direct TV or not.

that's where I'm at aswell.

ct
04-18-2006, 07:25 AM

I'm holding off on any satellite, until I can watch 50 different programs on 50 different TVs with 1 dish. Until then, they don't do it for me.

morphius
04-18-2006, 07:34 AM
I'm holding off on any satellite, until I can watch 50 different programs on 50 different TVs with 1 dish. Until then, they don't do it for me.
Yup, that has been a big hold up of mine. I don't want another remote for every TV, I don't want a box on my TV's, I don't want my PiP to add a second box to my TV (and need to be on the other side of the room so I can change stations without changing the others station)...

I just can't imagine that it would be that damn hard to have one box sitting there running all of the TV's in the house. Its not like the Dish is having to move from Satallite to Satallite.

Mecca
04-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Oh great........I have the Time Warner Digital/Internet package. I don't want the NFL Network bad enough for it to jack up my Net service and have my cable in general suck.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Won't that be ironic if NOBODY gets the games because DirecTV won't pay the increased fee?

I had DirecTV for 10 years...I won't be going back, NFL Network or no NFL Network.

jspchief
04-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Yup, that has been a big hold up of mine. I don't want another remote for every TV, I don't want a box on my TV's, I don't want my PiP to add a second box to my TV (and need to be on the other side of the room so I can change stations without changing the others station)...
Huh? Other than the P-in-P thing, I don't see how cable is any different.

And I really don't get the "I don't want another remote for every TV" statement. Doesn't every TV come with it's own remote anyway? You carry a universal around from room to room instead?

Mecca
04-18-2006, 07:43 AM

And I really don't get the "I don't want another remote for every TV" statement. Doesn't every TV come with it's own remote anyway? You carry a universal around from room to room instead?

I don't get his comment either, does he want every TV in the house to turn to the same thing when he pushes a button? I don't think the other people would enjoy that much.........

Garcia Bronco
04-18-2006, 07:43 AM
I want to pay for exactly the channels I want...I don't want Lifetime...or VH1..or MTV. I want all 20 Espin..Fox Sports...Golf Channel...NFL Network and 1 HBO...that's it.

Mecca
04-18-2006, 07:44 AM
I want to pay for exactly the channels I want...I don't want Lifetime...or VH1..or MTV. I want all 20 Espin..Fox Sports...Golf Channel...NFL Network and 1 HBO...that's it.

The odds of that are still slim........A company like ABC is going to force you to take all of their stations no one watches to take ESPN. That's just how it works.

morphius
04-18-2006, 07:46 AM

If you would have read I'm also not paying for digital cable, same issues.

jspchief
04-18-2006, 07:49 AM
I want to pay for exactly the channels I want...I don't want Lifetime...or VH1..or MTV. I want all 20 Espin..Fox Sports...Golf Channel...NFL Network and 1 HBO...that's it.That will probably never happen, and if it did it would just greatly reduce the number of choices we actually have.

Companies can afford to take risks with new channels by tying them to channel packages that they know cable companies will buy. If every new channel was forced to survive the market on it's own, it wouldn't be worth the risk to try and put them out. You may be forced to get WE and Oxygen, but it may have allowed you to get the Golf Channel.

Besides, all you have to do is program the receiver to only display the channels you like. Or in the instance of DTV, you can use multiple user set-ups so that Dad can only watch his favorites, while daughter chooses the set-up that only displays her favorites.

jspchief
04-18-2006, 07:50 AM
If you would have read I'm also not paying for digital cable, same issues.Ahhh, I missed that.

Here in Des Moines, they've eliminated all analog cable. Our only choice is over the air, digital cable, or dish.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Ahhh, I missed that.

Here in Des Moines, they've eliminated all analog cable. Our only choice is over the air, digital cable, or dish.

The analog cable signal is still there.

If you took the input to your digital box and plugged it into your TV, you'd have basic cable.

At least that's the way it works for me, and I'm fed off of the same network as you are (for Mediacom).

jspchief
04-18-2006, 07:58 AM
The analog cable signal is still there.

If you took the input to your digital box and plugged it into your TV, you'd have basic cable.

At least that's the way it works for me, and I'm fed off of the same network as you are (for Mediacom).I didn't know that. I was told that I had to go pick up a digital cable box from some temporary trailer set up in the Hy-Vee parking lot, and that in a matter of months, digital would be our only option.

Of course, none of that mattered when those buffoons at Mediacom f*cked up my service and lost my patronage forever.

morphius
04-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Ahhh, I missed that.

Ahhh, I didn't know anywhere was doing that yet. I'm sure it is coming everywhere, but telling everyone that they are suddenly going to have to start renting boxes again and paying the extra for digital cable had to lose them a chunk of customers.

jspchief
04-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Ahhh, I didn't know anywhere was doing that yet. I'm sure it is coming everywhere, but telling everyone that they are suddenly going to have to start renting boxes again and paying the extra for digital cable had to lose them a chunk of customers.AFAIK, there was no additonal expense involved with the switch.

At least not up front. I'm sure they cover there ass in the yearly price increase anyway.

And Medicaom is pretty adept at losing customers as it is.

morphius
04-18-2006, 08:17 AM
AFAIK, there was no additonal expense involved with the switch.

At least not up front. I'm sure they cover there ass in the yearly price increase anyway.

And Medicaom is pretty adept at losing customers as it is.
Well, at least they went that route. Of course I can't say that I have ever heard anyone say anything good about Mediacom.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 08:34 AM
Well, compared to DirecTV, Mediacom is the ****ing bomb.

Honestly, I've had zero problems with them at all. And they're cheaper than the dish was for the same programming because I can buy Internet from them and sever ties from the LEC altogether.

jspchief
04-18-2006, 08:41 AM

Honestly, I've had zero problems with them at all. And they're cheaper than the dish was for the same programming because I can buy Internet from them and sever ties from the LEC altogether.Our opinions on the two companies couldn't be more opposite.

Wait until Mediacom inadvertantly disconnects your service, then tells you that you'll need to schedule an appointment for a week later to reconnect it.

morphius
04-18-2006, 08:42 AM

Honestly, I've had zero problems with them at all. And they're cheaper than the dish was for the same programming because I can buy Internet from them and sever ties from the LEC altogether.
Yeah, getting away from the LEC was a happy day for me.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 09:06 AM
Our opinions on the two companies couldn't be more opposite.

Wait until Mediacom inadvertantly disconnects your service, then tells you that you'll need to schedule an appointment for a week later to reconnect it.

:hmmm:

I had not one, but TWO, instances with DirecTV that are nearly identical to what you describe.

The final straw was when the CSR told me I was "free to find another service provider" if I was unhappy with their service.

BigMeatballDave
04-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Good to see TimeWarner is doing all it can to please their customers. :rolleyes:

I'm not thrilled with DTV, but atleast I do not have to deal with this crap...

BigMeatballDave
04-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Wait until Mediacom inadvertantly disconnects your service, then tells you that you'll need to schedule an appointment for a week later to reconnect it.Someone would be getting their ass kicked!

jspchief
04-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Someone would be getting their ass kicked!At the time it happened, I wanted to kill someone, and told them as much.

Here's the thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=117188&page=3&pp=15

KCTitus
04-18-2006, 10:52 AM
The queenmum has Comcast back in Baltimore and ZootedGranny is right Comcast's internet service sucks as it is slow IMO.

Comcast locally has me up to 6Mbps down and 768kbps up. Im not complaining. Verizon is also toying with fiber to the home and I might jump ship.

Comcast came in a couple of years ago after buying out AT&T Broadband. The network stability went up dramatically, and speeds have gone from ~1Mbp to 6Mbps in 2.5 short years.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 10:53 AM
At the time it happened, I wanted to kill someone, and told them as much.

Here's the thread: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=117188&page=3&pp=15

I wonder if some of that is Ankeny vs. Knoxville. I know the 2 techs in Knoxville personally, and usually they come out same day or next day for service...

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Comcast locally has me up to 6Mbps down and 768kbps up. Im not complaining. Verizon is also toying with fiber to the home and I might jump ship.

Comcast came in a couple of years ago after buying out AT&T Broadband. The network stability went up dramatically, and speeds have gone from ~1Mbp to 6Mbps in 2.5 short years.

Verizon's FIOS service is getting all kinds of buzz in the industry. I don't sell it (it's a residential service) but I see press daily on awards that it's won and the like.

jspchief
04-18-2006, 10:57 AM
I wonder if some of that is Ankeny vs. Knoxville. I know the 2 techs in Knoxville personally, and usually they come out same day or next day for service...Ankeny falls in the Des Moines area, and they are probably under-staffed (whether by choice or not, I don't know).

Like I said in the original thread, had I kept my head, i probably could have rectified the problem. But the fact that I was forced to deal with the idiots they employ put me over the edge that they had already pushed me close to.

I do know there is no such thing as same day or next day service calls in Des Moines, unless it's something that is clearly their f*ck up.

morphius
04-18-2006, 11:09 AM

It was odd, but I had some downloads at 9Mbps recently, and have been averaging 3-4 Mbps on Comcast at home recently, even with VoIP and on my wireless lan. It did take them a while to catch up to TW in KC, but its moving pretty well now.