PDA

View Full Version : Samsung DLP Owners and the Rainbow Effect

ChiefsFanatic
04-17-2006, 10:42 PM
I recently bought a Samsung DLP hlr5067w from Onecall. I viewed the TV at Best Buy, and could never see the rainbow effect at all.

But I have had the TV for 4 days, and now the RE is killing me. It makes the TV almost unwatchable. Since I bought it from Onecall I can't return it. [I did save $700]

Has anyone found a cure or fix or workaround to this problem? Can you train yourself not to see it? Are there settings I can change to minimize the RE? Is there anything I can do, or am I just screwed.

Please help.

Thanks,

ChiefsFanatic

ChiefsFanatic
04-18-2006, 01:06 AM
No suggestions?

Bugeater
04-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Gently tap it with a sledgehammer?

Miles
04-18-2006, 01:15 AM
As far as I know its one of those things you can seen or can't. It has nothing to do with having a critical eye for the picture or having the set tuned properly but rather just something inherent.

You may try looking around at http://www.avsforum.com/

HMc
04-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Plasma > RPTV

Miles
04-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Plasma > RPTV

Depends what quality of plasma.

HMc
04-18-2006, 01:24 AM
Depends what quality of plasma.

Which is like anything.

HMc
04-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Serious Q tho, why can't you return it? I see onecall is an online place, you should still be able to return it, or is the "rainbow effect" not considered a fault? Actually, if the tv is borderline unwatchable then you must be able to return it.

Miles
04-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Which is like anything.

Yeah definitly agree there. I think for the more modestly priced DLP and LCD RPTVs are still the better buy in their class. When you get into the quality plasma range I don't think anything can top them. Pioneer Elite plasmas still amaze me whenever I see them.

Miles
04-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Serious Q tho, why can't you return it? I see onecall is an online place, you should still be able to return it, or is the "rainbow effect" not considered a fault? Actually, if the tv is borderline unwatchable then you must be able to return it.

Yeah I would check into their return policy. You may get stuck with some nasty shipping buy it would be better than dealing with a set that you can't watch. The few times I have dealt with oncall they have been great.

HMc
04-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Yeah definitly agree there. I think for the more modestly priced DLP and LCD RPTVs are still the better buy in their class. When you get into the quality plasma range I don't think anything can top them. Pioneer Elite plasmas still amaze me whenever I see them.

Totally.

Cheap plasmas are getting better aswell, they're nothing like the pioneers you mentioned, but getting better.

RPTVs certainly represent better value for money wrt to screen size and picture quality aswell (altho a cheap plasma has a far wider viewing angle than an expensive DLP, in my experience at least).

Interestingly, the market for RPTVs here has all but disappeared. I would say 20 plasmas are sold for every RPTV. Whether that's because the margins are greater on plasmas and sydney is *relatively* affluent, or whether its due to shipping costs, i dunno.

HMc
04-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Yeah I would check into their return policy. You may get stuck with some nasty shipping buy it would be better than dealing with a set that you can't watch. The few times I have dealt with oncall they have been great.

Im obviously no expert on MO law but here, if the set was as the OP described, the retailer has a statutory obligation to refund it.

Miles
04-18-2006, 01:51 AM
Im obviously no expert on MO law but here, if the set was as the OP described, the retailer has a statutory obligation to refund it.

I have no idea on their state law either. I would guess since the set doesn't seem to be defective they don't have to accept the return since he can't watch it being one of the few that can see the rainbow effect.

HMc
04-18-2006, 02:01 AM
I have no idea on their state law either. I would guess since the set doesn't seem to be defective they don't have to accept the return since he can't watch it being one of the few that can see the rainbow effect.

I would argue that if the problem is widespread enough for there to be an acknowledged "effect" then the set is indeed defective.

Anyway, he said that the same model looked fine in best buy, so it's the set, isn't it?

I wouldn't accept anything less than an exchange for a set without the problem.

ChiefsFanatic
04-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Their policy is that they do not take back TVs unless there is shipping damage.

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway.

HMc
04-18-2006, 02:03 AM
Their policy is that they do not take back TVs unless there is shipping damage.

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway.

F*ck their policy, the set is defective! Just because they have a term limiting liability doesn't make it legal - surely you have consumer protection legislation that allows for refunds and exchange of defective goods?!

Fat Elvis
04-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Actually, the set itself isn't defective. The vast majority of folks won't see the RE. Therein lies the problem with trying to return it.

If it is any consolation, my projector is dlp and when I first got it, I saw a lot of rainbows as well. Now I never notice them.

morphius
04-18-2006, 07:28 AM
I know they used to need to do some calibration on RPTV's, is there a possibility this would help the situation a little bit? Like someone said, I would check out the avs forum.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Plasma > RPTV

My $3000 70" RPTV > your plasma

;)