PDA

View Full Version : Taking Bets on Wedge Issues

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Let's open the books and see if we can put odds on what issues the Republicans will use to motivate the religious nutjobs of their base to get out to vote in '08.

Dave Lane
04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Noahs ark was found at the GOP headquarters.

Hey it could happen if god wanted it to!

Dave

Pitt Gorilla
04-18-2006, 01:01 AM
1. Sitting Hafner.
2. Big Bath is too fat.

Sully
04-18-2006, 06:37 AM
1. Abortion
2. Gay Marriage
3. The ATTACK! on Christianity

Baby Lee
04-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Grandma is eating dog food to pay for her heart meds.
They hate black people
They hate women
They hate you
We'll tax people who aren't you, and give money to people who are you.
COATHANGERS!!!!!

Oops, may have gotten my wires crossed there, sorry.

Kraut
04-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Both sides will use the wedge. And as usual neither party will follow through and please the base of the party. Both major parties are bunch of greedy frauds!! I hope the American people as a whole can soon wake up and see what kind of toads we have running the show in Washington.

banyon
04-18-2006, 08:30 AM
"Wedge" issues are a Repub strategy.

The term (I think) was coined by Lee Atwater, Reagan's campaign manager.

Refers to the devices used to pry people away fro what would ordinarily be their own economic self-interest.

Baby Lee
04-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Refers to the devices used to pry people away fro what would ordinarily be their own economic self-interest.
Oh c'mon.
There are two blaring problems with that.
1. It assumes that people have a universally agreed heuristic of what their economic self-interest is. Ohh, they're poor or middle class, they have to want government entitlements, they don't want opportunity, they want assurance.
2. It assumes that economic self-interest is station-zero for political decision making, and voters must be 'pried' from it to change their outlook.

Frankie
04-18-2006, 08:43 AM
Oops, may have gotten my wires crossed there, sorry.May have? You voted for Bush, didn't you? :p

Baby Lee
04-18-2006, 08:47 AM

The term (I think) was coined by Lee Atwater, Reagan's campaign manager.
Wedge issues are an everyone and everywhere strategy. And it preceded Atwater by eons.

banyon
04-18-2006, 08:48 AM
Oh c'mon.
There are two blaring problems with that.
1. It assumes that people have a universally agreed heuristic of what their economic self-interest is. Ohh, they're poor or middle class, they have to want government entitlements, they don't want opportunity, they want assurance.
2. It assumes that economic self-interest is station-zero for political decision making, and voters must be 'pried' from it to change their outlook.

I don't disagree with those assumptions being implicit in the concept, nor that your analysis offers a different way to look at it.

That was just my paraphrasing of how Atwater saw the concept.

patteeu
04-18-2006, 08:50 AM

Are you saying you don't think democrats use the same strategies or are you just giving credit to Republicans for coming up with the idea in the first place?

Sully
04-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Both sides will use the wedge. And as usual neither party will follow through and please the base of the party. Both major parties are bunch of greedy frauds!! I hope the American people as a whole can soon wake up and see what kind of toads we have running the show in Washington.

The reason there is no follow through is because it would take the bullets out of their guns. If they leave the "evil" of the world in place, they can perpetually "promise" to make changes.

Baby Lee
04-18-2006, 09:29 AM
The reason there is no follow through is because it would take the bullets out of their guns. If they leave the "evil" of the world in place, they can perpetually "promise" to make changes.
That is a dynamic, but it's not universal.
Do you honestly believe that staunch pro-lifers actually want abortion to remain legal so they can just continue to lobby for it's overturn?

jspchief
04-18-2006, 09:37 AM
So what's worse? Wedge issues, or no issues?

Sully
04-18-2006, 09:54 AM
That is a dynamic, but it's not universal.
Do you honestly believe that staunch pro-lifers actually want abortion to remain legal so they can just continue to lobby for it's overturn?
No. But I believe the majority of the politicians who use it as an issue, but do little about it, don't want the change.

go bowe
04-18-2006, 12:29 PM
No. But I believe the majority of the politicians who use it as an issue, but do little about it, don't want the change.that's an interesting perspective...

but a majority might be stretching it a little bit, maybe...

Sully
04-18-2006, 12:42 PM
that's an interesting perspective...

but a majority might be stretching it a little bit, maybe...

It could be a stretch, but if the result is that they do nothing substantive about it, then where else would I go with that info? It's not like the other side is blocking them, especially at this point and time.

patteeu
04-18-2006, 12:49 PM
It could be a stretch, but if the result is that they do nothing substantive about it, then where else would I go with that info? It's not like the other side is blocking them, especially at this point and time.

I think there are at least 3 groups of pro-life politicians. The true believers want the change no matter what the political consequences are. The pragmatic believers want the change but only after persuasion has laid the political groundwork so there won't be a counterproductive backlash. The cynical pretend believers who want to dangle the issue in front of voters but don't want to achieve success and lose the issue. I don't know how large each group is though.