PDA

View Full Version : Iowa States leading tackler kicked off the team

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 07:34 AM
Poor Clowns.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Aq1.ZWk.47kiSfY2wWCLa30cvrYF?slug=ap-iowastate-robertson&prov=ap&type=lgns

April 17, 2006

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa State linebacker Matt Robertson will not be allowed to play his senior season with the Cyclones after he tested positive for a banned nutritional supplement.

School officials said Monday that Robertson, who started all 12 games as a junior last season, must sit out one season under NCAA rules. His only option to play next season is to transfer to a non Division I-A program.

"I take full responsibility for taking an over-the-counter supplement that is banned by the NCAA," Robertson said in a statement released Monday. "I am paying a heavy price for a very bad decision, as I will never again wear an Iowa State uniform. I hope my example will serve as a warning to others contemplating use of dietary supplements."

Robertson tied for the team lead in tackles last season with 103. He tested positive for the banned substance last month.

"Ultimately, I have a deep feeling of sadness, because Matt Robertson has always been a team player, an academic all-Big 12 performer who was as good in the classroom as he was on the field," said Iowa State football coach Dan McCarney said in a statement.

"Let there be no doubt, however, his decision was unacceptable."

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 07:54 AM
Why would an over-the-counter substance be banned? :shrug:

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Why would an over-the-counter substance be banned? :shrug:
Probably because the company who produces it is not an OFFICIAL Sponsor of the NCAA. :)

jspchief
04-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Why would an over-the-counter substance be banned? :shrug:Certain over the counter health supplements contain substances that are banned from college and pro sports. Ephedrine is probably the most famous of those substances. Not illegal, but not allowed in a lot of sports.

The problem is, the companies that make these supplements are not regulated by the FDA, so the label doesn't always mention that it contains certain substances.

StcChief
04-18-2006, 08:04 AM
So he sits out 2006, finishs his college work, stays in shape, tries out for NFL. If it doesn't work out, at least he has a college degree and can maybe get a real job or go to Grad school.

Iowanian
04-18-2006, 08:23 AM
If he wants to play as a pro, his best bet is to transfer to a higher profile D IAA school like UNI...if thats possible.

He probably was taking something like creatine or xience.

Dunit35
04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Ha, this reminds me of going to GNC in Enid this past weekend. I was joking around and asked the lady employee if I could get some "under the counter" stuff to help bulk up. I was expecting her to laugh and say we don't have any of that stuff. But she was like sure what do you need. We have all kinds of illegal stuff too. I was defiantely freaked out.

Saulbadguy
04-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Ha, this reminds me of going to GNC in Enid this past weekend. I was joking around and asked the lady employee if I could get some "under the counter" stuff to help bulk up. I was expecting her to laugh and say we don't have any of that stuff. But she was like sure what do you need. We have all kinds of illegal stuff too. I was defiantely freaked out.
They keep it for the Blow U football players.

Rain Man
04-18-2006, 02:02 PM

That's kind of funny. Did you tell her you're interested in breaking the major league home run record?

ct
04-18-2006, 04:32 PM
I have no idea who this guy is. If he were to enter the supplimental draft, anybody know if he's got any chance to be selected?

Agree his best bet is to transfer to D1AA, rather than sit a full year.

jspchief
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I have no idea who this guy is. If he were to enter the supplimental draft, anybody know if he's got any chance to be selected?

Agree his best bet is to transfer to D1AA, rather than sit a full year.I don't think he would have been more than a late 2nd day pick or undrafted FA this year. Nothing special.

chiefqueen
04-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Has he used his redshirt year?