PDA

View Full Version : scouting grades found on nfl.com

Chiefnj
04-18-2006, 09:17 AM
From NFL.COM. I posted the final # grade for players at DE, DT and CB. Pretty interesting. Different than most draft analysts and different from most projections.

GM JR.'S NUMERICAL GRADING SCALENumber Description Round
7.0 - 7.9 Pro Bowl Player A true difference maker 1st
6.5 - 6.9 Highly productive starting player 1st
6.4 Very good starting player 1st/2nd
6.3 Very good starting player 2nd
6.1 - 6.2 Good starting player 3rd
6.0 Very productive backup now/will develop into starter 3rd
5.9 Very good backup & very good special teams player 4th
5.8 Quality backup & good special teams player 5th
5.7 Backup player/special teams player & project players 6th
5.6 Backup player/special teams player & project players 6th/7th
5.5 Backup player/special teams player & project players 7th/Priority Free Agent
5.0 - 5.4 Players with one or more limitations Backup/special teams type Free Agent

DE
M. Williams 7.0
T. Hali 6.4
M. Kiwanuka 6.3
D. Tapp 5.8
C. Gocong 5.5

DT
Ngata 6.5
Bunkley 6.3
McCargo 6.3
Dvoracek 6.2
Watson 6.0
Wroten 5.9
Wright 5.8
Williams 5.7

CB
Zemaitis 6.4
Hill 6.3
Williams 6.3
Phillips 6.3
Youboty 6.3
Joseph 6.2
Marshall 6.2
Cromartie 6.1

Mecca
04-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Do they really have Zemaitis rated that high? He's not going any higher than 3rd round, he lacks speed in a big way. I don't see how the guy who ran 4.5's and 4.6's can be rated that high.

Chiefnj
04-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Do they really have Zemaitis rated that high? He's not going any higher than 3rd round, he lacks speed in a big way. I don't see how the guy who ran 4.5's and 4.6's can be rated that high.

Yep. His grade is a 6.4

It's the old question of do you grade players by what they did on the field, or how they worked out. Both Penn State corners played very solid ball on Saturdays and demonstrated a high level of natural instinct for the position. Straight line track speed isn't everything.

ct
04-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Yep. His grade is a 6.4

It's the old question of do you grade players by what they did on the field, or how they worked out. Both Penn State corners played very solid ball on Saturdays and demonstrated a high level of natural instinct for the position. Straight line track speed isn't everything.

No it isn't everything, but for that position, it is a very important factor. No way I can put Zemaitis that high when other proven productive CBs have much greater athletic skills, i.e. Hill, Joeseph, Jennings, Marshall, Youboty.

penchief
04-18-2006, 01:06 PM

I agree with everything you say but Zemaitis would be a good player to have. If we could get him in the third round that might not be bad. I don't think he'd succeed as a bump and run guy but he's smart, competitive, and tough. He might fit well with what Herm wants to do with the secondary.

Actually, Penn State's free safety, Calvin Lowery, is somebody I'd love to have. That kid has a very high football IQ and has shown an uncanny ability to get to the ball. He's tough and is a very good tackler. He's somebody I think would be an absolute steal if he was there when we picked in the fifth.

All that said, Hali would be a sure bet at 20. If we knew we could trade down and some other saavy GM wouldn't snag Hali ahead of us, I'd trade down. But if we played it safe and took him at 20, I'd be perfectly content. Hali is a player on every play. He's relentless. He disrupts plays. We'd be fortunate to get him.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2006, 01:12 PM
there seems to be a huge difference in the way people rate the cornerbacks this year.

i've seen one person #1 cornerback not even be a 1st round pick for several other people.

Chiefnj
04-18-2006, 01:57 PM
there seems to be a huge difference in the way people rate the cornerbacks this year.

i've seen one person #1 cornerback not even be a 1st round pick for several other people.

It's an odd year for corners.

You have very good athletes with very little experience - Joseph and Cromartie.

You have guys who played well but didn't run well - Phillips and Zemaitis.

You have guys who played well and ran well but have other question marks like height or are they better suited for another position - Hill, Williams.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 02:06 PM
The more I think about it, the more I hope we can nab Williams and move him to FS.

Ultra Peanut
04-18-2006, 03:56 PM
GM JR. is retarded.

Dave Lane
04-20-2006, 05:27 PM
The more I think about it, the more I hope we can nab Williams and move him to FS.

Why reverse the trend?

Dave

htismaqe
04-21-2006, 09:01 AM
Why reverse the trend?

Dave

What?

Chiefnj
04-21-2006, 09:14 AM
What?

You want to convert a CB to S, whereas the typical Chiefs trend is to convert S' to CBs.

htismaqe
04-21-2006, 09:31 AM
You want to convert a CB to S, whereas the typical Chiefs trend is to convert S' to CBs.

Exactly, which means his question makes even less sense, unless he's being sarcastic or deliberately stupid...

Dave Lane
04-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Your sarcasto meter must be a bit off. Also I do hope next Sat the draft goes with out a single safety for us just to see htis completely melt down...

Dave

htismaqe
04-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Your sarcasto meter must be a bit off. Also I do hope next Sat the draft goes with out a single safety for us just to see htis completely melt down...

Dave

Yeah, I wasn't detecting the sarcasm at all. Try harder next time. :D

And you won't see me melt down. I'm too used to this team making dumb decisions, nothing surprises me anymore.

Mr. Kotter
04-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Here's the direct link for those who haven't found it....along with a copy of the grading scales:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/position/QB

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/key#alphabetical