PDA

View Full Version : Bird Strike Video...

AirForceChief
04-18-2006, 09:28 AM
...hope the link works for you.

HERE IS AN ACTUAL F-16 IN TRAINING AND JUST ONE OF THE MANY HAZARDS THEY FACE.......

NOTE: THE INSTRUCTOR IMMEDIATELY TAKES CONTROL OF THE PLANE JUST IN CASE THEY HAVE TO CRASH LAND AND HE FINDS A POTENTIAL UNPOPULATED AREA..........

F-16 engine ingests bird after takeoff.

I thought you might find it interesting to see a crash from the cockpit of an airplane. Pretty interesting; it is an instructor pilot in the rear and a student in the front seat of an F-16

A "Bird Strike," as seen through the Heads Up Display (HUD). You can see the bird flash by just prior to impacting the engine. You can hear the aircraft voice warning system telling them they have a problem and referring to the "D-6 NL" which means there is no engine RPM. They made 2 attempts to relight the jet engine, but evidently there was too much damage from the bird strike and they had to get out.

These guys were very cool; note the heavy breathing... they certainly flew longer than one would expect before ejecting. Airspeed can be observed on the HUD's upper left corner. It goes down to the low 120's as they struggle to get the engine going again, but as the plane noses over and dives to earth it increases to at least 175 just before impact.

It just goes to show how quickly your day can go to pieces - 45 seconds from strike to ejection.

All and all, not bad. They ran the emergency checklist, made two relight attempts, and picked out a plowed field for impact before ejecting. You can follow the audio attached to it and hear the conversation between the pilot and instructor pilot and then the tower including the pilot saying they were punching out. The tower didn't seem to completely understand it all, and missed the significance of the last transmission. His last radio call, he's talking to an empty aircraft.

The video continues until impact, even after they both eject. A classic "buying the farm" as you can see the plow rows get bigger. A real nice job from the aircrew by keeping their cool and turning the aircraft away from populated areas.

No one hurt and no one killed! I am amazed that the video tape survived it all.

www.wcbp.net/movies/f-16.wmv

munkey
04-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Cool...

QuikSsurfer
04-18-2006, 10:19 AM
pretty intense

leviw
04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
pretty intense

Everyone seems pretty calm actually, considering what's happening.

Otter
04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Not too many birds can claim to have cost $45 million dollars of damage to the goverment.

I'll bet he voted for Kerry.

mikey23545
04-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Neat clip...

HC_Chief
04-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Nice clip :thumb:

I found the computer voice odd... a male w/ British Accent? Thought they went with all-female voices?

R&GHomer
04-18-2006, 12:34 PM
Damn... doesn't work for me.

R&GHomer
04-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Found it on the net. Pretty interesting clip.

vailpass
04-18-2006, 02:21 PM
The pilots were incredibly cool under pressure, the senior was very well trained and an excellent calming force.

Still, I'm guessing for all the work it would take to get them clean it would probably make more sense to just throw those jockey shorts in the garbage.

kcfanXIII
04-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Not too many birds can claim to have cost $45 million dollars of damage to the goverment.

I'll bet he voted for Kerry.

i'm sure the thought bush has cost this country hundreds of billions of dollars and increased the deficit to hundreds of trillions of dollars has never crossed your mind.

vailpass
04-18-2006, 02:34 PM
i'm sure the thought bush has cost this country hundreds of billions of dollars and increased the deficit to hundreds of trillions of dollars has never crossed your mind.

Great, deprive the general public of getting to view this cool video by turning this thread into a bushisdadebil rant and getting it banned to the DC ghetto.
Christ man keep it in your pants or, if you must whip it out, wait until you get to the DC where you can join your fellow whipper-outers in the circle-jerk to end all circle-jerks.

King_Chief_Fan
04-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Great, deprive the general public of getting to view this cool video by turning this thread into a bushisdadebil rant and getting it banned to the DC ghetto.
Christ man keep it in your pants or, if you must whip it out, wait until you get to the DC where you can join your fellow whipper-outers in the circle-jerk to end all circle-jerks.

:clap::clap:

Dave Lane
04-18-2006, 04:13 PM
What is T6NL?

Dave

Dave Lane
04-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Was that was Osama Bird Laden?

Dave

UteChief
04-18-2006, 05:18 PM
Wow 45 mil in under two minutes. Bet my girlfiend could blow money like that.

ChiefsFire
04-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Wow 45 mil in under two minutes. Bet my girlfiend could blow money like that.
do they give platinum cards to blowup dolls these days?

ToroGuns
04-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Not an F-16 Author: Canadian Jet Trainer Date: 4/18/2006 5:49:21 PM
The Hawker-Siddeley Hawk is an advanced jet trainer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_trainer) which first flew in 1974 and is produced today as the BAE Hawk. It is extensively used by the British (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom) Royal Air Force (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force), and other air forces, as either a trainer or a low-cost combat aircraft.

As I recall this accident occured at Moose Jaw Canada.

http://www.airwar.ru/image/i/attack/hawk1a-i.jpg

TinyEvel
04-18-2006, 11:09 PM
C'mon, Isn't anyone going to make an analogy to the Chiefs recent playoff hopes? (or ANY past playoff hopes?)
I guess the season is a long way off.