PDA

View Full Version : CHIEFS AGREE TO TERMS WITH FREE AGENT CB CHRIS JOHNSON

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2006, 11:01 AM
http://kcchiefs.com/news/2006/04/18/chiefs_agree_to_terms_with_free_agent_cb_chris_johnson/

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Tuesday that the club has agreed to terms of a two-year contract with free agent CB Chris Johnson. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreement were made available.

Johnson (6-0, 185) comes to Kansas City as a free agent after spending last season with St. Louis. He appeared in 14 games (one start) for the Rams in 2005, recording 25 tackles (22 solo), three passes defensed, a forced fumble and two special teams tackles. He also returned 38 kickoffs for 857 yards (22.6 avg.) with one TD. Johnson originally entered the NFL as the first of Green Bay’s four seventh-round draft choices (245th overall) in 2003. He was acquired by St. Louis in a 2005 trade with Green Bay in exchange for LB Robert Thomas.

The Gladewater, Texas native was a two-year letterman at Louisville after beginning his collegiate career at Blinn Junior College in Brenham, Texas. Johnson played in 26 games (eight starts) for the Cardinals, totaling 44 tackles (32 solo) with one for loss and seven passes defensed. He was a three-starter in the secondary at Pinetree High School in Longview, Texas where he was also a three-year letterman in track.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Surely, no one is worried about our secondary now.

PBJ We can focus on WR in the draft!!!

:shake:

Dunit35
04-18-2006, 11:02 AM
That should put us over the top now.

rad
04-18-2006, 11:03 AM
I'll start printing playoff tickets.

beer bacon
By 2008 the Chiefs will be the all Johnson team.

BigMeatballDave
START PRINTING SB TICKETS!!!1!

Garcia Bronco
04-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Dude...my beloved Donkey's are done...congrats on the divison guys.

Mr. Kotter
04-18-2006, 11:06 AM
We are going ALL THE WAY with CJ, now folks!

:banghead:

On a sidenote, maybe we should see if we can be the first team in the NFL to start someone named "Johnson" at all 22 positions......:hmmm:

Dunit35
04-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Dude...my beloved Donkey's are done...congrats on the divison guys.

Thanks, we knew this guy would do it. Now we can take out Wesley and let this guy play both positions at the same time.

Gonzo
04-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Peterson loves Johnsons!!!!!

Wile_E_Coyote
04-18-2006, 11:08 AM
the Chiefs have ther eyes on the Governor's cup, they signed this dude in January

CB Kevin Garrett (5-9, 194) joins the Chiefs after spending two seasons with St. Louis (2003-04) after entering the NFL as a fifth-round pick by the Rams in the 2003 NFL Draft. Garrett saw duty in 21 games (one start), recording 10 tackles (seven solo), four passes defensed, as well as 20 special teams tackles. Also played in three postseason contests while with St. Louis, making four tackles on special teams. The SMU alum started all 42 collegiate games he played, posting 265 tackles (181 solo), with 11 tackles for loss, seven INTs, 36 passes defensed, four forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and six blocked kicks. An All-Western Athletic Conference first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report, Garrett prepped at Sweeny High School in Brazoria, Texas.

rad
04-18-2006, 11:08 AM

ROFL

Logical
04-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Allah be praised!!!

Otter
04-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Does this signing mean the Chiefs officially hold the record for having the most cornerbacks without an NFL career interception?

chefsos
04-18-2006, 11:11 AM
..in a related development, Chiefs Nation membership fees will be moderately adjusted, from $8 to $800, effective today.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2006, 11:12 AM

Peterson can never get enough Johnson

ROYC75
04-18-2006, 11:13 AM
We are going ALL THE WAY with BJ, now folks!

:banghead:

On a sidenote, maybe we should see if we can be the first team in the NFL to start someone named "Johnson" at all 22 positions......:hmmm:

Fixed it...... Carl is giving us a BJ .

Dunit35
Does this signing mean the Chiefs officially hold the record for having the most cornerbacks without an NFL career interception?

I think the real question is are the Chiefs the only team with one DT who has more career INT's than many of their CB's combined?

jspchief
Ramsification.

StcChief
04-18-2006, 11:14 AM
LJ
DJ
CJ

--let's get Brad from ViQueens as backup qb
--to have a BJ too.

ROYC75
04-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Ramsification.

Wasn't that suppose to end with DV, or is this just some DV jet lag?

chagrin
04-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Speaking of the Packers, someone should caption this picture:

rad
04-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Trade up to get AJ hawk
get Brad Johnson (BJ)
CJ
DJ
trade for Edgerrin James(EJ)
(someone else finish...)

Logical
04-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Does this signing mean the Chiefs officially hold the record for having the most cornerbacks without an NFL career interception?ROFL:clap:

Mr. Laz
04-18-2006, 11:20 AM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=56289&stc=1
your prostate seems a bit inflamed, Mr. Walker.

ROYC75
04-18-2006, 11:20 AM

Getting Packer gear to wear ? $ 35.00

Tickets to the game ? $ 75.00

Getting you hands in a Packers ass ? Priceless to a fudge packer.

ROYC75
04-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Trade up to get AJ hawk
get Brad Johnson (BJ)
CJ
DJ
trade for Edgerrin James(EJ)
(someone else finish...)

OK, but when we get to OJ, I'm done with it.

Woodrow Call
04-18-2006, 11:21 AM
At least he is fast. I found this on a google search.

Sherman later gave up a sixth-round pick in next year’s draft to jump just a spot ahead of Oakland in the seventh round and select Louisville cornerback Chris Johnson, who had the fastest 40-yard dash (about 4.23 seconds) of all the prospects the Packers timed this year.

chagrin
04-18-2006, 11:25 AM
At least he is fast. I found this on a google search.

Sherman later gave up a sixth-round pick in next year’s draft to jump just a spot ahead of Oakland in the seventh round and select Louisville cornerback Chris Johnson, who had the fastest 40-yard dash (about 4.23 seconds) of all the prospects the Packers timed this year.

He kicks ass in Madden

ct
04-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Competition is a good thing. Keep in mind our ST coverage was pathetic last year.

I do get more and more convinced we will NOT be drafting a 1st round CB.

Woodrow Call
04-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Another article
http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/rev/apr03/137384.asp

Louisville DB catches team's eye
By RICK KLAUER
klauer@jsonline.com
Last Updated: April 30, 2003
Green Bay - For now, no one is certain if Chris Johnson has enough ability to cover wide receivers in the National Football League.

The Packers couldn't pass up Chris Johnson and send a 2004 sixth-round pick to the Eagles to land the speedy Louisville DB.

Heck, for all anyone knows, Johnson might not be able to cover a scarecrow in a field or a department store mannequin at the Fox River Mall in Appleton.

But when you're blessed with the type of natural speed that Johnson possesses, teams like the Green Bay Packers are willing to make a bet they can teach a rookie like Johnson everything there is to know about shadowing NFL receivers.

"Chris Johnson was the fastest player in this year's college football season that got timed," said Packer coach Mike Sherman when asked about Johnson's sizzling 40-yard dash time.

"I believe it was more 4.21 or 4.23. Once you get to that speed, I don't think you have to worry about anything else. If he wants to say he ran a 4.18, that's fine by me. All I know is he's fast."

The Packers were so enamored with Johnson's speed that they gave up their sixth-round pick in next year's draft to the Eagles to claim Philadelphia's 31st pick in the seventh round. Sherman was fearful that the Raiders, armed with the 32nd pick in the same round, would claim the speedy cornerback out of Louisville.

"I sent (assistant defensive backs coach) Lionel Washington to work out Johnson in Louisville," said Sherman. "Oakland was there right after us. So I envisioned Oakland picking him.

"It's a typical Al Davis pick and so that's why I opted to move ahead of Oakland one spot. They did in fact take a defensive back with that next pick."

For comparison of speed, Minnesota Vikings running back Michael Bennett, who is easily one of the fastest players in the NFL, ran a 4.36 in the 40 during his agility tests in 2001. The former Milwaukee Tech star also holds Wisconsin's fastest time in the 100 meters with a mark of 10.33 seconds.

Johnson said he ran the same distance in 10.4 while a student at Longview's (Tex.) Pinetree High School. After leaving Pinetree, he spent two years at a junior college before joining the Cardinals in 2001.

Of course, speed doesn't always translate into success on the football field. Sherman didn't hide the fact that Johnson is far from a complete player and said Louisville used the 5-foot-11, 196-pound cornerback in a lot of off-coverage schemes.

"If you watch his tape he's a raw player," said Sherman. "Talking to his coach and his position coach, he stated that in their scheme they play a lot of off-coverage. Until you see him chase somebody, you really don't see that speed in coverage necessarily.

"The coaches told one of my coaches, if you just let him bump the guy and play bump-and-run, he would have been fine. But, he was off. So he's a little bit rusty in his technique."

For a player with such blazing feet, however, it's hard to imagine why he had only one interception in his two years with Louisville. His lone "pick" came during his junior season in the Cardinals' 28-10 victory over BYU in the Liberty Bowl.

Sherman said he will try to use the 23-year-old in any immediate capacity that will benefit the team. For now, that means Johnson will likely contribute on special teams while he continues to hone his coverage skills.

Fish
04-18-2006, 11:38 AM
He's no McCleon.............

:redface:

Iowanian
04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
"The coaches told one of my coaches, if you just let him bump the guy and play bump-and-run, he would have been fine. "

Hmmmmm, Fast Corner, who could be physical and bump a wr..

Its a project at low risk, but a guy that might work in the cover 2.

How would you like to have that kind of speed at FS....

58-4ever
04-18-2006, 11:53 AM
"The coaches told one of my coaches, if you just let him bump the guy and play bump-and-run, he would have been fine. "

I just want a FS who is a sure tackler. Is that too much to ask. (Speed would be nice too.)
:shrug:

Woodrow Call
04-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Stole this from another board. ESPN's scouting report

2006 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 61 | Key
Alert: None

Comment:
He has very good foot quickness and stays low with his hips in his back pedal. He has a great burst out of his plant and drive and has outstanding top end speed. He has good lateral movement and great body control. He can get up in press coverage and get hands on to reroute receivers and he has the speed to run with most of the receivers. He is at his best in man coverage although he shows that he has good awareness in zone coverage. He takes good angles to the ball and plays with good overall technique although at times his foot work tends to get sloppy.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 11:57 AM

He's too small...

Fish
04-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Comment:
He has very good foot quickness and stays low with his hips in his back pedal. He has a great burst out of his plant and drive and has outstanding top end speed. He has good lateral movement and great body control. He can get up in press coverage and get hands on to reroute receivers and he has the speed to run with most of the receivers. He is at his best in man coverage although he shows that he has good awareness in zone coverage. He takes good angles to the ball and plays with good overall technique although at times his foot work tends to get sloppy.

That right there sounds better than the defensive backs we've had for the past 3-4 seasons........

StcChief
04-18-2006, 11:59 AM
He's no McCleon.............

:redface:

Thank God for that.... CJ was released by GB why??
when Sherman seemed high on the speed and raw talent ????

58-4ever
04-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Not to mention he came from two defenses that have been nearly as bad as the Chiefs' the last 5 years.

Iowanian
04-18-2006, 12:08 PM
I didn't mean to imply he was a FS prospect, though he's not THAT undersized for FS...more that, that caliber of speed would make for a ball hawk.

If he's a ST guy, that improves that spot and speed on the field when he's in...thats good enough for me. Most every position, with obvious exceptions has room for improvement...especially at hte bottom of the depth chart.

htismaqe
04-18-2006, 12:11 PM
I didn't mean to imply he was a FS prospect, though he's not THAT undersized for FS...more that, that caliber of speed would make for a ball hawk.

If he's a ST guy, that improves that spot and speed on the field when he's in...thats good enough for me. Most every position, with obvious exceptions has room for improvement...especially at hte bottom of the depth chart.

6-0 is fine...but 185 is pretty small for a safety.

Ari Chi3fs
04-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Thank God for that.... CJ was released by GB why??
when Sherman seemed high on the speed and raw talent ????

Sherman is gone, foo.

Mr. Kotter
04-18-2006, 12:19 PM
:hmmm:

Competition/Back up....for Dante too?

22.6 per Kick Return Avg, last year with the Rams.

Naaaaahhhhhhhhh......

HEY! How about the ole two KRs.....double reverse.......:hmmm:

Frankie
04-18-2006, 12:31 PM
How many johnsons do the Chiefs have? Four? That's even more than Klingons have.

nychief
04-18-2006, 12:32 PM
seems like a good camp signing.

bkkcoh
04-18-2006, 12:38 PM

Remember, there are some key spots that do need filled on our ST's. Bo, Stills, Horn and ect....

StcChief
04-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Sherman is gone, foo.
Yeah I know.. Sherm wrote the article in question in 2003...
I'm just wondering the mindset in GB on this Johnson guy...

I'll ask my buddy the GB fan what he knows. Thanks for your insight
:) :rolleyes:

Chiefs Pantalones
04-18-2006, 12:53 PM
SUPER BOWL!!!

Wa-Z
04-18-2006, 03:05 PM
This guy looks like a fat ass!!?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/553388

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2006, 03:05 PM
You laugh, but he's only got three fewer interceptions than Kris Wilson has catches.

Fire Me Boy!
04-18-2006, 03:06 PM
This guy looks like a fat ass!!?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/553388
I think he's puffing his cheeks out. Acting like he's going to blow the receivers down.

"I'll huff, and I'll puff!"

Mr. Kotter
04-18-2006, 03:12 PM
I think he's puffing his cheeks out. Acting like he's going to blow the receivers down.

"I'll huff, and I'll puff!"

Here's another pic....from his Kickoff Return for a TD last year.....MUCH better....

Mr. Kotter
04-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Another view....

Wile_E_Coyote
04-18-2006, 03:14 PM
maybe Battle was re-injured helping Q-tip move the pool table

Mr. Kotter
04-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Bump for the noob...

KCChiefsFan88
04-18-2006, 03:48 PM
You laugh, but he's only got three fewer interceptions than Kris Wilson has catches.

Yeah but he has the same number of career interceptions as Bartee does.

SNR
04-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Great. Maybe he'll be able to catch the receivers that burn us

OnTheWarpath58
04-18-2006, 04:46 PM
The Rams are a team in desperate need of DB's.....and they didn't resign him?

Tells me all I need to know.

Bwana
04-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Well this team sure has enough Johnsons, but will it have enough balls?

Tuckdaddy
04-18-2006, 04:51 PM
He will be EW's replacement. No doubt.

Mecca
04-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Maybe Herm wants a Nickelback that can actually cover........Benny Sapp better watch his ass.