PDA

View Full Version : Important nonjoking notice: Microsoft Office Updates

Rain Man
04-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Has anyone else installed the updates that came down the pipe today (April 18)? I've got the option where they'll tell me they've got an update, and 4 of them arrived today. Once I installed them I was no longer able to save files in any Office product (Word, Excel, etc.) I had to go through a pain in the neck process to figure out how to "un-update" the updates, and once I did, everything was fine.

So...did my download go awry, or are other people having the same problem?

If you downloaded it and have the same problem, you just have to go to "Add/Delete Programs" in the control panel, click the little box that says "Show Updates" and then remove the four updates that have today's dates.

Again, it may have just been a one-time glitch in my download, but it was a royal pain in the neck to figure out the problem, so I thought I'd share.

A mod can feel free to move this to geeksplanet (there's an oxymoron) once it has received a worthy amount of viewing.

Katipan
04-18-2006, 10:14 PM
nipple?

Mr. Kotter
04-18-2006, 10:15 PM
nipple?

Lactate

Skip Towne
04-18-2006, 10:16 PM
nipple?
Alpaca! Alpaca!

Rain Man
04-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Lactate

Laotian

Katipan
04-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Winners never quit.

Rain Man
04-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Winners never quit.

Not true. If you watch the end of the 100-meter dash, they stop running at some point.

Katipan
04-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Do any of us really stop running, Rain Man?

think about it.

Mr. Kotter
Not true. If you watch the end of the 100-meter dash, they stop running at some point.

No. They just run in a different dimension.

Quitters never win.

cdcox
Yep, the Windows Autoupdate screwed me over in exactly the same way over the weekend. I'm thinking of reinstalling Office, but hadn't got around to it. I can save files, but can't change directories within any Office product.

Rain Man
04-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Yep, the Windows Autoupdate screwed me over in exactly the same way over the weekend. I'm thinking of reinstalling Office, but hadn't got around to it. I can save files, but can't change directories within any Office product.

You should try just ininstalling the updates like I did.

What a royal pain in the neck.

Rain Man
04-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Whooooooaaa. Tying together posts 8 and 9, I think I just figured out what happens to people when they die.

cdcox
04-18-2006, 10:38 PM
You should try just ininstalling the updates like I did.

What a royal pain in the neck.

I'm afraid auto-update will just install them again. Now that I've heard that my case is not unique, I'll wait a couple more days to see if they come out with a fix. If no word from MS by then I'll probably uninstall the updates.

Yes, a royal pain.

Bob Dole
04-19-2006, 06:03 AM
We had this happen on one of roughly 600 workstations at the office. Still haven't determined what made that particular PC special (other than the permanent ID-10-T error attached to this particular machine).

Rain Man
04-19-2006, 06:08 AM
We had this happen on one of roughly 600 workstations at the office. Still haven't determined what made that particular PC special (other than the permanent ID-10-T error attached to this particular machine).

Well, that's odd.

My laptop works like a champ, and this is the only problem I've had with it. It's a bit older now, because I think I bought it in 2004 or something, and the hard drive is getting wicked full. My initial theory was that the installation was doing something to temporarily suck up a lot of disk space, which was preventing me from saving, but I have no idea if that's a valid theory or not.

patteeu
04-19-2006, 06:26 AM
I think you should try the update again and if the same thing happens, remember the adage that "the third time's the charm" and try it one more time. By the time you are finished with this process, maybe the fix patch will be out.

Kerberos
04-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Quitters never win. They just do thier BEST

Thier BEST .... Do Thier BEST?

Losers do thier BEST while Winners go home and F*** the Prom Queen.

:)

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
04-19-2006, 06:52 AM
I had the same problem with the update. I had to uninstall the damn thing to fix it. I tried every other remedy such as changing the registry commands. Nothing else worked, so I uninstalled the update, works fine again.

Stupid MS

cdcox
04-19-2006, 07:15 AM
What ticks me off is that I got this gem on Sunday and 1) still no word from MS acknowledging the problem and 2) they are still sending out the defective update. I understand that mistakes are inevitable in software development, but I expect rapid corrective action when those mistakes become known.

cdcox
04-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Here's a link that describes how to fix the problem. For how wide spread this seems to be, you'd think they would make it a little eaisier to find.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918165

Fire Me Boy!
04-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Thier BEST .... Do Thier BEST?

Losers do thier BEST while Winners go home and F*** the Prom Queen.

:)

Carla was the Prom Queen.

Bearcat
04-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Winners never quit.

Winners never quit, quitters never win, but those who never win and never quit are idiots.

Kerberos
04-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Winners never quit, quitters never win, but those who never win and never quit are idiots.

:spock:

:hmmm:

grob ???

:thumb:

:clap:

:D

Bearcat
04-19-2006, 01:09 PM
:spock:

:hmmm:

grob ???

:thumb:

:clap:

:D

Exactly.

Rausch
04-19-2006, 01:12 PM
http://web.syr.edu/~cjbryzgo/monkey%20smile.jpg

Katipan
04-19-2006, 01:14 PM

But they get to cum last.

Calcountry
04-19-2006, 01:26 PM
What ticks me off is that I got this gem on Sunday and 1) still no word from MS acknowledging the problem and 2) they are still sending out the defective update. I understand that mistakes are inevitable in software development, but I expect rapid corrective action when those mistakes become known.Bill Gates was too busy sucking China's ass to get it done right.

Kclee
04-19-2006, 01:34 PM
I bet it has something to do with Y2K.