PDA

View Full Version : Harrington CHOOSES Dolphins. What a loser.

nychief
04-19-2006, 07:23 PM
I don't really care, but why would he choose a team that already has DANTE, knee problems aside. So what? He goes to Miami starts four games and then never sees the field again? Wow, the fire tha burns in this kid.

Joey Harrington
Harrington

Harrington, who has been given permission to shop for a trade, told the Lions on Wednesday he wants to go the Dolphins and is firm about the decision. Because he is due a $4 million bonus in June, Harrington has some control over his future because no team wants to pick up his current contract.

After working out a two-year agreement with the Dolphins more than a week ago, Harrington asked Millen to release him or make a trade with the Dolphins so he can move on with his career.

"I look forward to joining the Miami Dolphins whenever I am released or a trade is completed," Harrington said Wednesday in a statement issued by his agent, David Dunn. "The Dolphins are an ascending team with great coaching and I can't wait to get started. I certainly appreciate all that the Ford family and Matt Millen did for me.

"I learned so much in Detroit and I will always value those relationships and that experience. At the same time, I am eager to get to work with my new team, whether that happens in a day, a week or a month," he said.

The Dolphins are offering a sixth-round choice in 2007. The Lions have been asking for a third- or fourth-round choice in this year's draft. Now it's up to Millen to make a concession in his demands or hold up any move until June 15 when Harrington is due the roster bonus.

Harrington was also being pursued by the Broncos but never made a visit to Denver. Harrington did visit the Bengals, but he didn't come to a contractual agreement.

Now that Harrington has made his decision, the ball is in Millen's court.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Short Leash Hootie
04-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Oh well.

I'll only lose a little sleep tonight.

Count Alex's Losses
04-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Nothing is final yet.

cdcox
04-19-2006, 07:39 PM
GrbacII - he's in it for the $ and doesn't care if he ever starts again.

Raiderhader
04-19-2006, 08:37 PM
I dunno', he at least had the good sense to not even bother with a visit to Denver.

Dunit35
04-19-2006, 08:39 PM
He's in it for the money and knows his career is getting closer to ending. Maybe he doesn't have much confidence in himself.

Adept Havelock
04-19-2006, 09:50 PM
He's in it for the money and knows his career is getting closer to ending. Maybe he doesn't have much confidence in himself.

In all fairness, QB'ing for the Lions would have likely ruined the confidence of Archie Manning. :D

DMAC
04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Let us be glad then he is not going to be on our team.

chief52
04-19-2006, 10:05 PM
I personally think he made a good decision. What is wrong with it? Take a year on the bench, two max, and then back in the swing of things with an up and coming team.

Kid made an excellent decision IMO.

WilliamTheIrish
04-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Well if this isn't a snarky, east coast, white thread. :)

jspchief
04-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Out of the teams mentioned, Miami seems like a clear favorite to me.

In Cincy, he'll only be a stop gap until Palmer returns. He's not going to get a look at starter in Denver. In Miami, he's got a fair shot at starting out the gate while Culpepper is still healing, and even when healthy, Culpepper looks like the easiest guy to beat out his choices.

ChiefsCountry
04-19-2006, 10:25 PM
And who wouldn't want to live in Miami.

blueballs
04-19-2006, 10:36 PM
He knows with global warming
that when the alien invasion force
thaws out ot the icebergs
they will work their ways
from the poles to the equator
plus the women
are hotter in Miami

jspchief
04-19-2006, 10:39 PM
He knows with global warming
that when the alien invasion force
thaws out ot the icebergs
they will work their ways
from the poles to the equator
plus the women
are hotter in MiamiYour posting style
is really f*cking
annoying.
Is your period
key broken so
you have to hit enter instead?

Spott
04-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Well, considering he'd be a backup for both teams, he might as well spend his winters where it's warm and he doesn't have to go months without seeing the sun.

blueballs
04-19-2006, 10:46 PM
I have failed
in trying
to avoid
a period

Deberg_1990
04-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Geez......who cares?? Why are some of you gyus so hot for a QB that has something like a 16-40 record?? I dont get it? I dont care how high the guy was drafted, but he hasnt shown crap in the NFL. We would be better served drafting a young kid in the middle rounds and deveopling him from scratch.

Cochise
04-19-2006, 10:59 PM
If I am Harrington, maybe I'm thinking that I don't really have what it takes for the NFL.

A lot of not-too-great players made a lot of money and had long careers in the NFL being backups. A lot of other guys who couldn't hack it as starters ended up selling car insurance back where they came from. Why not take a backup job, where I can learn some stuff, not really play too much so as to avoid sinking my career, and become a Todd Collins?

I'm sure that pulling down a couple million a year while living in Miami doesn't suck.

Deberg_1990
04-19-2006, 11:05 PM
If I am Harrington, maybe I'm thinking that I don't really have what it takes for the NFL.

A lot of not-too-great players made a lot of money and had long careers in the NFL being backups. A lot of other guys who couldn't hack it as starters ended up selling car insurance back where they came from. Why not take a backup job, where I can learn some stuff, not really play too much so as to avoid sinking my career, and become a Todd Collins?

I'm sure that pulling down a couple million a year while living in Miami doesn't suck.

Exactly my thoughts......we dont need another Collins

SNR
04-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Exactly my thoughts......we dont need another CollinsAnother Collins would be perfect. The only problem with 0dd T0dd was he outaged the team.

Then again, that's what happens when you have a stud at QB with 5 seasons of consecutive starts. Look at Brett Favre. Can you even name all the backup QBs he's had? How about Peyton Manning?

Your backup doesn't always need to be a young gun who will take the reins when your starter moves on or retires.

brent102fire
04-19-2006, 11:48 PM
His time as a Dolphin will be short lived if he can go out and show other teams he has what it takes to be a starter in the NFL. He will start in Miami until Daunte comes back. If Harrington does well, he will be elsewhere next year...stay tuned...

DMAC
04-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Your posting style
is really f*cking
annoying.
Is your period
key broken so
you have to hit enter instead?
He tries to make haikus out of everything. It's dumb.

Wait! Wait! I can already tell you what Blueballs response is going to be...

"You are dumb." Or maybe a haiku about how I am dumb! ROFL

dj56dt58
04-19-2006, 11:55 PM
I don't really care, but why would he choose a team that already has DANTE, knee problems aside.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Acctually, we have DANTE, they have DAUNTE..

No..I really don't have anything better to do

DMAC
04-19-2006, 11:55 PM
I have failed
in trying
to avoid
a periodThat is a killer avatar though

blueballs
04-20-2006, 05:59 AM
your
and idiot

greg63
04-20-2006, 06:42 AM
I have failed
in trying
to avoid
a period

I hear Midol helps. ;)

SNR
04-20-2006, 10:54 AM
I hear Midol helps. ;)Oh no you didn!

Skip Towne
04-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Sitting on his butt in Miami is a great gig. The less he plays the longer he will last in the NFL. I suspect he realizes this.

Mr. Laz
04-20-2006, 11:53 AM
POSTED 9:26 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 11:11 a.m. EDT, April 20, 2006

LIONS, DUNN PLAYING CHICKEN

We're hearing that Wednesday's statement from quarterback Joey Harrington regarding his interest in joining the Dolphins was triggered by the news that the Broncos had picked up extra picks in exchange for the No. 22 overall selection in the April 29-30 draft.

We're told that Harrington and his agent, David Dunn, concluded that the move might be a precursor to a trade of Harrington to Denver. So Dunn and Harrington opted to put out the word that the former No. 3 overall pick wants to play for the Dolphins.

Dunn believes that he holds all of the cards on this one, since he can block a trade by refusing on Harrington's behalf to restructure a contract that presently calls for a $4 million roster bonus on June 15. But if the Lions decide to hold firm and not release Joey until June 14, it will be too late for Harrington to get ready to be the opening-day starter for the Dolphins, if Daunte Culpepper isn't sufficiently recovered from his torn ligament trifecta. Indeed, it's likely that the Dolphins will look elsewhere for a backup quarterback if they can't get Harrington under contract soon.

We're also hearing that the Dolphins are willing to bump their current offer from a seventh-round pick to a sixth-round selection. The only problem in this regard is that the Fins currently don't have a sixth-rounder, so they'd have to swing a trade with someone else to get the six.

The Lions, we're told, still want at least a fourth-round pick. There's talk that the Lions might reduce their demands to a fifth-rounder.

The Dolphins used their fifth-round pick last summer in the supplemental draft, when they selected USC defensive tackle Manuel Wright.

The Fins reportedly are offering a sixth-round pick in 2007, since they likewise don't have a sixth-rounder in this year's draft, either.

DaKCMan AP
04-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Live in Kansas City or live in Miami.
Backup a QB who didn't finish the season or backup a QB who hasn't missed a start in 5 years.
Throw to Chris Chambers and Marty Booker or throw to Eddie Kennison and ____ ?
Go to a team with a good defense or go to a team without a defense.

Yeah, he made a real dumb decision.

cadmonkey
04-20-2006, 01:21 PM
what about this makes him a loser?

he knows he's going to to be a back up somewhere why not do it on south beach.