PDA

View Full Version : What to do...been offered a job I'm not sure I want.

Fat Elvis
04-20-2006, 04:27 AM
OK, here's the deal--I've been offered a job I'm not sure I want.

On the plus side, this job would open up quite a few doors down the road and provides an exit strategy for the future. The people I would work for are really neat. My wife could more or less take over my current job so we wouldn't lose that income stream.

On the down side, I really like what I'm doing now and am kind of reluctant to get a regular job due to the flexibility my current job affords. The new job would require some travelling and I'm not so hot about that; my family is very important to me and I don't want to miss out on my kids lives. The pay pretty much sucks, but like I said, my wife could take over my other job so we wouldn't lose that income stream.

I just don't know what to do. Any advice? (just looking for different perspectives, not anyone telling me what to do per se)

Thanks

Fat E

Guru
04-20-2006, 04:35 AM
Considering your comments on family. It sounds like you have already made your decision.

cookster50
04-20-2006, 05:22 AM
Sounds like you don't want to take the offer, so don't.

greg63
04-20-2006, 05:27 AM
What to do...been offered a job I'm not sure I want.
Money; you want money. :D

Seriously, you should do what you think would make you happy.

The wife woke me up, so I'm just droppin by.

Nite Planet!....again.

4th and Long
04-20-2006, 05:30 AM
Considering your comments on family. It sounds like you have already made your decision.
Sounds like you don't want to take the offer, so don't.
I must echo these two posters. You sound dead set against the job already.

You like your current job. You don't want to travel. You don't want to miss out on your kids growing up and the pay sucks.

What the hell is there to discuss again?

Dunit35
04-20-2006, 05:48 AM
No kidding. It sounds like you don't want to take that job, so there isn't much to discuss.

greg63
04-20-2006, 05:52 AM
No kidding. It sounds like you don't want to take that job, so there isn't much to discuss.

Oooo, ooo! Take it; take it! Gotta get the kids up in a few so I decided to stay up.

That is all.

Dunit35
04-20-2006, 05:56 AM
Oooo, ooo! Take it; take it! Gotta get the kids up in a few so I decided to stay up.

That is all.

The only reason for me being up is that I got class at 7:30 and I didn't tired until around 5. If I fell asleep now I'd end up skipping class. Not a good idea considering there is only 4 more 7:30 classes left.

greg63
04-20-2006, 06:02 AM
The only reason for me being up is that I got class at 7:30 and I didn't tired until around 5. If I fell asleep now I'd end up skipping class. Not a good idea considering there is only 4 more 7:30 classes left.

Yep; might wanna make all of those ya could. :thumb:

Dunit35
04-20-2006, 06:04 AM
Yep; might wanna make all of those ya could. :thumb:

No kidding. I've already paid for missing a bunch of classes earlier in the semester. I've been working my ass off to get my grades up. I'm pretty sure they all are up.

greg63
04-20-2006, 06:07 AM
No kidding. I've already paid for missing a bunch of classes earlier in the semester. I've been working my ass off to get my grades up. I'm pretty sure they all are up.

You have done well Little Grasshopper. :D

Just Another Joe
04-20-2006, 06:11 AM
wHAT IS THE JOB?

wHAT DO YOU DO NOW?

sOMETIMES A LITTLE ROAD WORK MIGHT NOT BE BAD.

Dunit35
04-20-2006, 06:18 AM
What is the job?

What do you do now?

Sometimes a little road work might not be bad.

I can read that much better after taking off that annoying caps lock.

It's a Store manager job at Wal-Mart.

greg63
04-20-2006, 06:19 AM
wHAT IS THE JOB?

wHAT DO YOU DO NOW?

sOMETIMES A LITTLE ROAD WORK MIGHT NOT BE BAD.What is your name?

What is your quest?

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

greg63
04-20-2006, 06:20 AM

:thumb:

deadbabyseal
04-20-2006, 07:31 AM
What is your name?

What is your quest?

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

African or European?

King_Chief_Fan
04-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Never take a job that you are not excited about.

BagoobaChief
04-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Speaking as someone who left a higher paying job so that I could spend more time with the family, I would keep your current job. I never had extensive traveling only 2-3 times a year for a week at a time. But the overtime, and call outs at 3:00am to go work for 3-4 hours, only to still show up for work at 8:00am till 5:00pm. If I wasn't at work I was sleeping, I missed alot of the things my kids did when they were little.
This new job may open new doors, but do you want to sacrifice family time to go through those doors? Seeing the pictures the wife took isn't the same as being there to enjoy the kids little achievements or to be on the sidelines at their games. Besides, you're already making better pay plus spending the family time. Don't do it, there are no guarantees on what is behind those other doors.

Just my two pennies......

Skip Towne
04-20-2006, 08:06 AM
Why not take the job and try it for awhile? If you don't like it, quit. The beauty of a low paying job is you don't give a shit if you lose it.

CrazyHorse
04-20-2006, 08:10 AM
The answer is simple. Quality of life.

Most people want to make more money because it may add to thier "quality of life".

People take jobs making less money because it adds to thier quality of life.

It's a personal perception of what quality of life means to you.

My own personal experience is;

I have made better money in my lifetime than I am now. But I was married to the work. Now I make less money which means I may not have the material things, but my quality of life is better. I chose to "smell the roses" so to speak.

You should never take a job because it just mean more money now, or down the road. You should take it because it means better quality, either now or down the road.

If kids are involved in the quality of life you are looking for, I can assure you of one thing. You can't back up if you make the wrong decision. One year of a childs life once spent, you never get back. When it came time to send my child to college, I had the opportunity to send him through loans. That was one of my biggest fears. I wanted to make sure I gave him an opportunity. For a long time I worked because I din't want him to miss out because I wanted to stay home more and spend time with my family. I felt for me to be able to do that, I had to sacrifice his future success to do it. I have realized since then, that wasn't the case.

Live your life like you want to. Dont let fear steal your life from you.

Only you know what quality of life means to you. I say you persue that.

Good luck.

Fire Me Boy!
04-20-2006, 08:13 AM
I spent six years in a job I hated. I took it, much like you, as a job I didn't really want, but it gave me opportunities. Over the years, it got to where it afforded me the ability to wait for a good job to roll around -- eventually it did, and I'm kicking myself now for some of the job opportunities I missed out on during those six years. I hated that job six months in and I can tell you from experience a bad work environment (ranging from people to pay to generally not liking the job) can affect everything you do.

I say don't do it.

unlurking
04-20-2006, 08:36 AM

Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

KC Jones
04-20-2006, 09:15 AM
You should take the job. Clearly you are enjoying life too much right now and you deserve to sabotage that.

Rain Man
04-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Don't take a job that you're not interested in.

Chief Henry
04-20-2006, 09:56 AM
I would take the job. It will look good on the resume and you'll be exposed new people. Do it
for a year or two and evaluate your situation then.

Whats the worst that can happen?
Whats the best that can happen ?

Saulbadguy
04-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Don't take a job that you're not interested in.
I think he should accept the job, while still searching for another job.

Rain Man
04-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I think he should accept the job, while still searching for another job.

Or maybe he could just not take the job and put it on his resume anyway.

J Diddy
04-20-2006, 10:05 AM

Then he could call rainman enterprises and get a new job all the while knowing it was a fake resume. Then at the moment of truth bust out a fake work visa.

Skip Towne
04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Ah, yes. the old "don't and say you did" ploy.

StcChief
04-20-2006, 10:27 AM
I would take the job. It will look good on the resume and you'll be exposed new people. Do it

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Going thru life in same old job (no Company is loyal to you),
If your current job would go away,
what do you have and ability to move on is diminished....IMHO

change can be good, opportunity knocks for a reason....

Fat Elvis
04-20-2006, 10:34 AM

I think right now that is the plan. I think I will like this job and that it will open a lot of doors for me; its just that I really like the job I have now and I'm really good at it. I suppose I'm just a bit reluctant to change.

|Zach|
04-20-2006, 10:38 AM
You should take the job. Clearly you are enjoying life too much right now and you deserve to sabotage that.
ROFL

PastorMikH
04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
FE, from what I am reading, it really sounds to me like you are trying to justify why you should accept the offer. If you have to try and justify tha change, and are happy with the current gig, that alone, that in itself is more than enough reason to pass on the offer.

The only benifit I read is that the job offers a few more options down the road. However, if it came looking for you, I would think that your qualifications would be such that you could step past this particualr job down the road into what you think this job could set up for you.

Even in your paragraph about the pros for accepting, you comment on how cool the people you work for now are.

If it were me, I would pass.