PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams #1?

RedThat
04-20-2006, 11:30 AM
NFL | Williams could be the 1
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:15:16 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports North Carolina State DE Mario Williams may be making a bid to be taken No. 1 overall in the upcoming draft. His measurables are off the charts. Williams stands 6-7 and weighs nearly 300 pounds. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.7 seconds. "I haven't seen a guy like this in years,'' Tennessee Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said of Williams. "I've seen solid players, impact players, but nobody that has a potential to impact a defense like him.''

*Never thought he was THAT good

58-4ever
04-20-2006, 11:33 AM
This seems to be the buzz. But Bush's numbers were off the charts as well. I think Williams is definitely a better fit for the Texans. He would help them win more games immediately. They already have a Pro-Bowl kick returner, a decent running back, and two solid receivers. We'll see.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-20-2006, 11:36 AM
This seems to be the buzz. But Bush's numbers were off the charts as well. I think Williams is definitely a better fit for the Texans. He would help them win more games immediately. They already have a Pro-Bowl kick returner, a decent running back, and two solid receivers. We'll see.

do you have a link to Bush's numbers? Never got to see them.

RedThat
04-20-2006, 11:38 AM
I think Manny Lawson is a better passrusher than Mario Williams.

Call me crazy, but, this is just my opinion.

Mr. Laz
04-20-2006, 11:38 AM
i figure they are just using Williams to keep Bush's asking price down.

His agent is prolly trying to get a contract like a QB

RedThat
04-20-2006, 11:42 AM

:hmmm: Makes sense.

58-4ever
04-20-2006, 11:42 AM
do you have a link to Bush's numbers? Never got to see them.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/proday.html

It doesn't show how many times he benched 225, but I heard it was over 20, which is amazing considering his size.

Garcia Bronco
04-20-2006, 12:20 PM

Have you considered Bush won't be the first pick...I realize the media pick is bush...but the right pick for the Texans is the tackle or the DE...since they're having actually contract talks with the DE...what does that tell you?

Jim Jones
04-20-2006, 12:31 PM
The Texans need to think about more than just on the field. I don't think Williams is going to have any bigger impact on the team than Bush, or visa versa, but Bush is going to put people in seats and probably be a top 5 jersey seller right out of the gate, which I highly doubt with Williams.

Coogs
04-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I still think we should swap 1st and 2nd rounders with the Jets. That would give us #29 and #35. We could pick up two players who could contribute right away. It seems as if the players between 20 and 35 are pretty much all ranked about the same anyway, so we jsut as well have two of them as opposed to one.

The Jets would then have #4 and #20. Probably would not take a whole lot more than that for them to trade up to the #1 spot and get Bush... who they have been working out some.

The Texans then could probably get either Williams or De Brickshaw at #4.

ct
04-20-2006, 12:52 PM
I still think we should swap 1st and 2nd rounders with the Jets. That would give us #29 and #35. We could pick up two players who could contribute right away. It seems as if the players between 20 and 35 are pretty much all ranked about the same anyway, so we jsut as well have two of them as opposed to one.

The Jets would then have #4 and #20. Probably would not take a whole lot more than that for them to trade up to the #1 spot and get Bush... who they have been working out some.

The Texans then could probably get either Williams or De Brickshaw at #4.

Or wait for Houston to take SuperMario, then offer New Orleans #4 + #29 for #2. Tennessee will take a QB, of this I personally am 100% convinced (not to say I'm wrong, which could be). If the Ain'ts want Williams, and have no huge woody for Bush, they could still get DaBrick, Hawk, etc at 4, plus another 1st round pick.

If the Jets want to move up, seems to me they are better off with what they have, vs. making a deal with KC 1st.

Brock
04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
The Texans need to think about more than just on the field. I don't think Williams is going to have any bigger impact on the team than Bush, or visa versa, but Bush is going to put people in seats and probably be a top 5 jersey seller right out of the gate, which I highly doubt with Williams.

If that's what they're interested in, they should just draft Vince Young. It won't help them win, but he'll sell more jerseys than the rest of the team put together.

Coogs
04-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Or wait for Houston to take SuperMario, then offer New Orleans #4 + #29 for #2. Tennessee will take a QB, of this I personally am 100% convinced (not to say I'm wrong, which could be). If the Ain'ts want Williams, and have no huge woody for Bush, they could still get DaBrick, Hawk, etc at 4, plus another 1st round pick.

If the Jets want to move up, seems to me they are better off with what they have, vs. making a deal with KC 1st.

But if the Jets really want Bush, the only guarantee they have of getting him is to go to the #1 spot. Anything else would be a risk.

ct
04-20-2006, 01:01 PM
But if the Jets really want Bush, the only guarantee they have of getting him is to go to the #1 spot. Anything else would be a risk.

Yeah I'm with ya there. If they were smart, they'd sit tight and let Houston sweat this out. It'll cost way too much to talk Houston out of #1 if they really really want either guy, they will not want to move down to 4 and miss them both.

Coogs
04-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah I'm with ya there. If they were smart, they'd sit tight and let Houston sweat this out. It'll cost way too much to talk Houston out of #1 if they really really want either guy, they will not want to move down to 4 and miss them both.

That is true. They would be gambling on the Saints and Titans which could be risky.

htismaqe
04-20-2006, 01:20 PM
If that's what they're interested in, they should just draft Vince Young. It won't help them win, but he'll sell more jerseys than the rest of the team put together.

Egg-zackly.

jspchief
04-20-2006, 03:23 PM
The Texans need to think about more than just on the field. I don't think Williams is going to have any bigger impact on the team than Bush, or visa versa, but Bush is going to put people in seats and probably be a top 5 jersey seller right out of the gate, which I highly doubt with Williams.Why the hell would they care how many jerseys they sell? All NFL apparel revenue is divided evenly between the 32 teams. Other than the ones they actually sell at the stadium, it doesn't really make much difference.

The reality is, regardless of who they draft, it's only going to put butts in the seats for a short time if that player doesn't help make the team a winner. If the team has determined that Mario will give them the best shot at being a winner, selling tickets will take care of itself.

Mecca
04-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I think Manny Lawson is a better passrusher than Mario Williams.

Call me crazy, but, this is just my opinion.

You're nutty, Mario Williams is thought of like Julius Peppers.

The reason I think they have a hard time passing on Bush is if you pass on the consensus number 1 pick and you blow it. It's the kind of thing that gets your entire front office fired and you don't ever get another NFL job.