PDA

View Full Version : Another WoW (World of Warcraft) thread.

Saulbadguy
04-20-2006, 01:47 PM
I've played for nearly a month now, and have had a blast thus far. Every other MMORPG i've played (Ultima Online, Dark Ages of Camelot, Asherons Call, Star Wars Galaxies) have parts of it that are very tedious, but I haven't found anything tedious about WoW, yet.

Currently i'm running around doing quests with a level 24 Gnome Warlock. I've only been to 4 or 5 different "zones" or whatnot, and have only experienced PvP once. I'm starting to work on my skills, and even that is not tedious. I can just say "Create all" with my tailoring skill and it will sit there and make them for you, rather that continously clicking a button.

I'm not "addicted" yet, but I really enjoy this game.

KC_John
04-21-2006, 09:49 AM
You'll enjoy the game for awhile then. The game is a good one no doubt. And they still have good plans for the future.
After 3 level 60's and doing all the high end raiding , I simply got burnt out with nothing more todo other than PVP. After you hit 60 and max your proffesion skills...thats it..the only other way you can develope your character is throo gear. Whichs means running the same instances over and over again and believe we you WILL get sick of that eventually.
My advice to you..Do not get in a hurry to hit level 60...take your time and enjoy the game. And once you do hit level 60 its all about the gear , find a good guild to raid with and make some friends.

David.
04-21-2006, 03:00 PM
I haven't gotten sick of it, I was getting tired of it for a while, but then i started raiding, and that's just so much fun it brought me back in.

KcMizzou
04-21-2006, 04:22 PM
I haven't gotten sick of it, I was getting tired of it for a while, but then i started raiding, and that's just so much fun it brought me back in.It's a totally different game at 60.

JBucc
04-21-2006, 04:27 PM
I woud play it but I don't want to have to pay monthly fees. I'm cheap

AZORChiefFan
04-21-2006, 05:23 PM
With the new expansion set the level cap goes up to 70 and there's a new profession 'Jewelcraft' or something like that. Also a new area available to 60+ level characters. I quit playing for a few months then restarted my subscription. I have a level 58 Tauren Druid as my main and some lowbie other characters. Lately at work I've been working 60 hours a week and haven't had any time for it.

KcMizzou
04-21-2006, 05:30 PM
With the new expansion set the level cap goes up to 70 and there's a new profession 'Jewelcraft' or something like that. Yeah, I guess it's supposed to work like the socketed items in Diablo 2.

Ultra Peanut
04-21-2006, 06:37 PM
I woud play it but I don't want to have to pay monthly fees. I'm cheapCheck out this list (http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073821042&sid=82dfe439205133b2a477bc03039679e5), if you're looking for free MMOs. Some of the Korean games are pretty fun, especially if you can overlook the occasional Engrish.

Hydrae
04-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I guess it's supposed to work like the socketed items in Diablo 2.

My understanding is that while there will be sockets added to the game with the expansion, Jewelcrafting will also allow for the creation of crafted rings, necklaces and trinkets. My 60 dwarf hunter will so be there when the time comes!

There are also supposed to be 2 new races (Bloodelves on Horde side, no announcement yet regarding the new Alliance race) and a lot more content in the "Outlands". There will even be new flying mounts in the "Outlands" (where the Burning Legion came from). I am so looking forward to advancing past 60 finally although I will admit the gold in place of XP for us at 60 is a nice compromise for now.

Only problem is, the last I heard, the expansion is not due out until early October. I already put down $5.00 to reserve my copy. Total cost will be $40.00.

Fruit Ninja
04-22-2006, 01:28 AM
i quit again, game just doesnt have long play value for me. i am done for good with WoW this time, going to ebay my account. Anyone want to buy? lol 60 undead rogue, i have 5 months left on the account.

Still havent found any game that is better then everquest thats a MMORPG. Just my opinion though.

ChiefFripp
04-22-2006, 05:47 AM
Meh, it was cool for the first 2,824 hours ,but then it got old.

Cochise
04-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Somebody I work with gave me a free 10-day trial for this. You don't even have to buy the software to play if you have one of those codes. I'm afraid that I would get sucked in though after the problem I had with EQ a few years ago.

Saulbadguy
04-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Somebody I work with gave me a free 10-day trial for this. You don't even have to buy the software to play if you have one of those codes. I'm afraid that I would get sucked in though after the problem I had with EQ a few years ago.
It's addictive, but not too addictive. At least not for me, yet. All i've been doing is running around doing quests. It's fun when you get in a group, too.

A nice feature WoW has is when you are logged out, you enter a "rest state", in which you gain twice the XP you would normally gain. The longer you are logged out, the longer your "rest state" period is.

The quest system is awesome. I've never "grinded" because there has never been a need to, there are enough quests available to avoid this.

Cochise
04-25-2006, 12:35 PM
The quest system is awesome. I've never "grinded" because there has never been a need to, there are enough quests available to avoid this.

Ok. I wouldn't be interested in sitting around for 5 hours to get 1/5 of a level of experience (or less).

This guy was saying you can change servers whenever? How does that work? Do they send your equipment with you?

Saulbadguy
04-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Ok. I wouldn't be interested in sitting around for 5 hours to get 1/5 of a level of experience (or less).

This guy was saying you can change servers whenever? How does that work? Do they send your equipment with you?
No, you can not change servers whenever. However, some servers are overpopulated and allow you transfer your character (along with its equipment and all that).

In the future I think they will allow transfers (whenever), but will charge a fee for a move.

Pants
04-25-2006, 03:28 PM
World of Warcraft is a great game. That's all I have to say.

kaplin42
04-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Never played WoW, I was an EQ and an EQ2 junky. But sony just couldn't get their act together. So I switched to DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online), it follows the 3.5 rule set of the PnP version if that means anything to anyone. The game is a blast. Every class is needed. There is no grinding, its all questing. The "dungeons" are all instanced. Great game to play, and you can acomplish stuff in an hour or two, although I admit, some quests you need to have about 4 hours to kill. Level cap is 10 (really 40 since the levels go like this Level 1 rank 1, rank 2, rank 3, rank 4, level 2 rank 1....), but the cap is being raised in several FREE monthly expansion modules. Of course in a year or so there will be an expansion that you have to pay for that will be a massive content expansion.

If you're board of your current MMO, I suggest giving DDO a shot. Oh and don't forget Vanguard will be comming out soon, can't wait for that one.

KcMizzou
04-25-2006, 05:12 PM
If you're board of your current MMO, I suggest giving DDO a shot. I've thought about it, but I do still really enjoy WoW. Also there's the friends made in my guild, and time invested.

A buddy of mine is considering making the switch though. His work schedule doesnt allow him to attend end-game raids with our guild, and he's not a pvp guy, so there's not a hell of a lot for him to do.

Valiant
04-25-2006, 07:24 PM
It's addictive, but not too addictive. At least not for me, yet. All i've been doing is running around doing quests. It's fun when you get in a group, too.

A nice feature WoW has is when you are logged out, you enter a "rest state", in which you gain twice the XP you would normally gain. The longer you are logged out, the longer your "rest state" period is.

I am opposite, I will quest if the quest is near or in the same zone.. But it is not worth it to run and do every quest when grinding gets you more experiance quicker..

Do a quest lvl 30 quest for 3500xp maybe get another 3000xp for mobs while traveling and killing in a hour

Or just spend 1 hr killing some mobs my lvl or higher.. 45mobs in 1hr which are about 190-240xp = 8550-10800... That and I like to grind for rare items...

Valiant
04-25-2006, 07:25 PM
I've thought about it, but I do still really enjoy WoW. Also there's the friends made in my guild, and time invested.

A buddy of mine is considering making the switch though. His work schedule doesnt allow him to attend end-game raids with our guild, and he's not a pvp guy, so there's not a hell of a lot for him to do.

They are saying when the expansion comes out they are going to make the other end game instances easier as in 10 man instead of 40 so people will still do them...

keg in kc
04-25-2006, 09:47 PM
I actually just cancelled my account.

Something about spring makes me want to go outside.

Pants
04-25-2006, 10:07 PM
They are saying when the expansion comes out they are going to make the other end game instances easier as in 10 man instead of 40 so people will still do them...

I don't think it's going to be case. All the current instances are just going to be easier due to the new level cap of 70. All of a sudden that makes a place like ZG a complete cake. MC and even BWL will be puggable, I bet. Of course the items will be much less powerful due to their relatively low level (compared to 70) so it'll stay balanced.

Pants
04-25-2006, 10:10 PM
I actually just cancelled my account.

Something about spring makes me want to go outside.

How does playing WoW prevent you from going outside? Maybe my outlook is just different since I'm not very hardcore and raid VERY seldomly. I'm just taking my time, progressing through PvP, until it'll become impossible (Rank 10) while slowly working on my Tier .5

45 minute Baron was a f**king challange and it felt great to complete it. 15 seconds on the timer when we engaged that bastard. :)

Valiant
04-25-2006, 11:47 PM
I don't think it's going to be case. All the current instances are just going to be easier due to the new level cap of 70. All of a sudden that makes a place like ZG a complete cake. MC and even BWL will be puggable, I bet. Of course the items will be much less powerful due to their relatively low level (compared to 70) so it'll stay balanced.

Its just what I read a couple months ago in a pc mag...

I do not think the 70's will want to do it.. They have like 4 new instances to get better gear in.. I mean great if they want to help..

Pants
04-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Its just what I read a couple months ago in a pc mag...

I do not think the 70's will want to do it.. They have like 4 new instances to get better gear in.. I mean great if they want to help..

Well, that's like saying 60's don't want to do UBRS because there's AQ40. And you don't have to be 70. You could be right though.

kaplin42
04-26-2006, 09:12 AM
I've thought about it, but I do still really enjoy WoW. Also there's the friends made in my guild, and time invested.

Cool, I can definately understand that. But if you do try it out, I play on the Mabar server. Send me a PM here on the planet and I will try and hook up with you, show you the ropes of the game.

As for the other subdiscussion of raiding....Thats why I left EQ and EQ2. I dont have the time to invest into raiding. On saturdays I could probably pull it, but to be in a raiding guild you had to raid every day. 5 - 6 hours a day, no thanks. Unfortunately, if you wanted any cool gear you had to raid for it, or spend some obnoxious amount of PP to get it. On DDO, there are a few raids to go on, but only the new one I here is brutal in time length, but you get to kill a red dragon at the end of it.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2006, 09:22 AM
What's kinda funny is I play WoW and have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Cochise
04-26-2006, 10:05 AM
What's kinda funny is I play WoW and have no idea what you guys are talking about.

In EQ, once you got to a higher level (the cap was 60 when I was playing) and your gear was pretty decent you couldn't do a whole lot without raiding. You couldn't improve your equipment without spending ungodly amounts of time raiding or farming money - mostly raiding since the best stuff was not tradable.

Then one night you would decide to go on a raid, so you spend an entire night on there going somplace with a party of 20-30 people, only for a CHANCE that you might get something. I was a wizard, and maybe nothing would drop that wizards could use, or that was better than what I already had. Or, even if something did drop - a spell I needed, a piece of equipment I could use - somebody else would usually outroll you and you wouldn't get jack. And that was IF the raid was successful and items were dropping. If you weren't in a real big rading guild, the expertise level was lower and your party had a decent chance of ending up a pile of corpses. I ended up ebaying my account and was happy to do so.

Today when I think of EQ, it has an extremely negative connotation in my mind because of the frustrating way my time in the game ended - not being able to advance while all the people I played with kept going up and up because I didn't want to spend 30, 40 hours a week playing. I had a lot of fun playing EQ, but I think that 90% of that fun was from levels 1-50 or playing my alternate characters.

kaplin42
04-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Thank you for expanding on what I was saying Cochise.

Now with what has been said by Cochise, then you take the high level group stuff, not raids, but just group stuff. All of it was set so that you had to have the best raid gear to do that as well, because the raiders complained that the game was too easy, so the devolopers modified the normal content to give them a challenge. What ended up happening is that if you were not in a high end raid guild at or near the end game, you couldnt do much of anything, because everything was designed to cater to the raiders. Which basicaly made the game no fun for anyone who had a life, and didnt spend 40 hours a week playing EQ.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
What exactly is a raid?

Cochise
04-26-2006, 12:22 PM
What exactly is a raid?

It's not really well-definited, it just means using many groups instead of one a normal sized group to do something that one group can't do. For example if there was a mob that was level 65 or 70, a normal group of 4 or 5 level 60 players wouldn't be able to do it. But if you get 20 or 30 people, it's doable.

These were boss mobs like dragons and stuff in some cases. Some of them had devastating area effect spells, could deathtouch (just kill someone instantly), were immune to some or all types of magic, etc.

In some cases, there were whole zones filled with mobs like this, and you needed a raid to even move through the zone without getting pwnt

KcMizzou
04-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah, a raid in WoW is any group larger than 5 people. Before the last patch you could take 10-man raids to Scholomance and Stratholme. or 15 to UBRS. The problem was, you couldn't complete any quests if you did. Strictly loot runs.

In patch 1.11 they limited Strath and Scholo to 5-man.. and LBRS/UBRS to 10.

Then you have "end-game" raid instances. Molten Core (40-man), AQ (has a 20 man as well as a 40), Zul' Gurub (20-man), and Blackwing Lair (40).

Saulbadguy
04-26-2006, 01:14 PM
1. LBRS/UBRS=?
2. End game raid = ?

kaplin42
04-26-2006, 01:24 PM
1. LBRS/UBRS=?
2. End game raid = ?

as I dont play WoW, I can't answer #1.

But #2....

End Game = When you have reached the max level possible, and there is nothing for you to do but raid (multi - group adventures, quests, loot runs on MOBS( monsters) that are higher level, and a lot more powerful than your average MOB) for the uber (german for the most wonderful or something like that) gear. The end game is what some player play for, to fight the biggest baddest monsters every night 10 hours a night.

Just incase the word comes up....

Zerg or Zerging = A non stop barrage. 40 people go into a raid, 20 of them die in the first 30 seconds, they revive, and charge right back in regardless of xp debt or damage to your gear (if applicable), the cycle repeats for all involved until the encounter is defeated.

You should read the WoW forums, you would probably learn a lot that you didnt know. And I dont mean the Jargon, I mean tactics and stuff about the game that others might have figured out but you might not have gotten to that adventure level yet.

KcMizzou
04-26-2006, 01:50 PM
1. LBRS/UBRS=?
Upper and Lower Blackrock Spire. Those, Molten Core and Blacking lair are all in the same mountain.

UBRS/LBRS are actually different parts of the same instance. UBRS is the more difficult of the two.

The tier 0 chest piece drops at the end boss in UBRS for all classes. (Tier 0 is the blue (rare) class specific armor set. ie magisters for mages, devout for priests, valor for warriors, etc.)

Head pieces drop in Scholo... pants in Strath... belts, gloves, shoulders etc drop in various locations depending on class.

Check out www.thottbot.com It's about the best WoW resource out there, and really easy to use.

Hydrae
04-28-2006, 09:28 PM
I know I am weird and all that but I am still having fun with my 60 hunter (Feathermoon server). I have played him more hours at 60 than it took to get there. But I have done very little end game raiding (MC once, didn't even get to the first boss; ZG a few times but only ever killed the snake boss; AQ 20 through the first boss once) and basically do no PvP (one day in AB, got to Corporal for that but am back to Private now). However, I enjoy grinding for items. I am a gatherer (skinner/miner) and am working on getting some "customers" who will order higher leathers which I can then go out and farm.

All I know is that I am still enjoying myself (never played any other MMORPG so have nothing to compare it to) after 1500+ hours in the last year and a quarter. I have a deposit in already for the expansion even though it is not due out until October. This from a man who usually gets bored with any game after no more than 6 months.

keg in kc
04-28-2006, 10:02 PM
How does playing WoW prevent you from going outside?Vice versa. Going outside prevents me from playing WoW. Not worth spending the money if I don't log on, and I haven't logged on in a month.

KcMizzou
04-29-2006, 04:10 PM
All I know is that I am still enjoying myself (never played any other MMORPG so have nothing to compare it to) after 1500+ hours in the last year and a quarter. I have a deposit in already for the expansion even though it is not due out until October. This from a man who usually gets bored with any game after no more than 6 months.Yeah. I've bought a few other games since I started playing WoW. I tend to play them for a few days and then go back.

I've got the D&D Online free 7-day trial right now, and can't really get into it. The control and interface are so different that it's really tough to get used to.

Fruit Ninja
04-30-2006, 07:45 AM
i have a 60 rogue on blackhand, if anyone wants to buy :P still 4 months left on the subscription

AZORChiefFan
04-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Took me some time but finally hit 60 with my Tauren Druid on Thunderlord. Been toying with the idea of rerolling him from feral to resto. Cause it seems when we do instances we always need healers. I went feral when the patch came out that changed the Druid talent tree to make the other trees more viable than Resto. Feral is fun for grinding and what not but everyone loves healers when it comes to raids.