PDA

View Full Version : Peterson Counting Holmes "in" for Next Season

nychief
04-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Chiefs GM counting Holmes 'in' for next season
DAVE SKRETTA
Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - With an NFL draft full of tantalizing young players looming, Kansas City Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson turned his attention Thursday to a veteran.

Peterson said he is counting Priest Holmes "in" for next season, as the three-time Pro Bowl running back continues to recover from midseason surgery for head and neck trauma.

"If we had to start today, right now, the doctor would not clear him for contact," Peterson said. "But we don't have to start today."

Holmes, who was injured in a hit last October by the San Diego Chargers' Shawne Merriman, is continuing to work out at his home in Texas, just as he has the past three off-seasons. Peterson said doctors will evaluate him again soon, and new coach Herman Edwards said he hopes Holmes will be able to return.

Although they have more pressing needs at cornerback and defensive end, Holmes' status may not preclude the Chiefs from drafting a running back in a later round if the timing is right.

In 2003, the Chiefs took Larry Johnson in the first round, despite Holmes seemingly entrenched at running back. Three years later, the Penn State product emerged as one of the NFL's brightest young stars.

Johnson rushed for more than 100 yards in each of his nine starts after Holmes' injury, racking up 1,750 yards and scoring 20 touchdowns. It was enough that one of Edwards' first moves with the Chiefs was to name Johnson the starting running back entering fall camp.

"Priest knows that," Edwards said. "Everybody knows that."

But Edwards also noted that many of Johnson's yards came as he simply ran over defenders, a tactic that might wear him down over a full season.

That's why Edwards is eagerly awaiting Holmes' decision. The Chiefs have signed former Denver Broncos running back Quentin Griffin, but have very little depth beyond that. They also lost Tony Richardson, one of the best blocking fullbacks in the league, to free agency.

"I don't care what back it is, he's not going to carry the ball 500 times. You can figure out the rest mathematically," Edwards said. "You're going to have at least two backs."
Click here to find out more!

Mr. Flopnuts
04-20-2006, 05:19 PM
The guy has been a blast to watch, and until he shows otherwise I'll call him the man. I think he's on his last legs though. It's a shame too.

BIG_DADDY
04-20-2006, 05:22 PM
With the salary we could get back it would be best for us to trade him. Priest wants and deserves to start on another team too, we owe him that much. This is a BAD decision IMO

Mr. Flopnuts
04-20-2006, 05:26 PM
With the salary we could get back it would be best for us to trade him. Priest wants and deserves to start on another team too, we owe him that much. This is a BAD decision IMO

I'm not sure about the cap ramifications, but if it's not bad I agree wholeheartedly. It would serve both parties well.

Mecca
04-20-2006, 05:27 PM

If we trade him we take a pretty serious cap hit.

bogie
04-20-2006, 05:27 PM

You want to trade Holmes and Gonzales?

BIG_DADDY
04-20-2006, 05:37 PM
You want to trade Holmes and Gonzales?

ROFL Phoney Gonzales aka Gunther Fan aka a bunch of different names.

As far as Priest goes if it doesn't make sense to trade him from a salary standpoint then i wouldn't. I obviously need to do more due diligence here.

bogie
04-20-2006, 06:06 PM
ROFL Phoney Gonzales aka Gunther Fan aka a bunch of different names.

As far as Priest goes if it doesn't make sense to trade him from a salary standpoint then i wouldn't. I obviously need to do more due diligence here.

OHHHH, I thought you were actually calling Tony, Phoney in your earlier thread. Well that makes much more sense. I don't hang around enough. Thanks!

Mr. Laz
04-20-2006, 07:00 PM
we just gave holmes 10 million in signing bonus 2/3 years ago.

the cap hit for trading holmes would be brutal

i still think Holmes would just as soon retire ... but the chiefs are gonna ask for signing bonus back because the doctors won't say that Priest "can't" play again.

and i think the Chiefs would just as soon Holmes retire but they need cap relief and want money back.

holmes will prolly end up playing again this because of money ... unless somebody blinks. You know when it comes to money Carl ain't blinkin'.

John_Wayne
04-20-2006, 07:03 PM
OHHHH, I thought you were actually calling Tony, Phoney in your earlier thread. Well that makes much more sense. I don't hang around enough. Thanks! Big Daddy is also "memyselfi". Everyone knows that.

Logical
04-20-2006, 07:12 PM

Actually it is more negative against the cap to release or trade him, most of his signing bonus money is still outstanding and would immediately go against this years cap. His salary for the season would not offset that amount.

4th and Long
04-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Actually it is more negative against the cap to release or trade him, most of his signing bonus money is still outstanding and would immediately go against this years cap. His salary for the season would not offset that amount.
Exactly and for those of you calling for Priest to be releaed or traded, you had better remember that were it not for him, when 2001 rolled around, Chiefs football would have sucked hind tit in a major way.

Logical
04-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Let me just say that no matter how good Larry Johnson becomes Priest will always and forever be my favorite Chiefs runningback. I truly found the way he ran and caught the ball amazing and thrilling, never boring.

4th and Long
04-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Let me just say that no matter how good Larry Johnson becomes Priest will always and forever be my favorite Chiefs runningback. I truly found the way he ran and caught the ball amazing and thrilling, never boring.
I feel the same way about Priest but when I say it, the LJ fans rip me to shreds.

Can I hide behind you?

Hydrae
04-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Exactly and for those of you calling for Priest to be releaed or traded, you had better remember that were it not for him, when 2001 rolled around, Chiefs football would have sucked hind tit in a major way.

Given that we haven't made the playoffs in all this time maybe it would have been better to have been worse. Then we could have had better draft picks and Carl would have.....Oh, never mind. We can't draft anyway. :banghead:

Color Red
04-20-2006, 07:29 PM
My perception of Holmes is that he doesn't have the pride or ego that will resist being a role player (non-starter) as he understands he is an aging veteran. Sure he'd like to start somewhere, but I don't think he would be so moronic as to think that he can and would perform behind any NFL offensive line the way he has performed behind the Chiefs OL. He's a smart man. Remember the very strategic and intelligent list of pros and cons he wrote and considered as reasons to come to KC in the first place?

I would just be surprised if he shows up highly self-centered and illogical in his approach to all of this.

Logical
04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
I feel the same way about Priest but when I say it, the LJ fans rip me to shreds.

Can I hide behind you?LOL they all hate me for my long stand against the LJ draft pick even after I came around. I have a fine set of body armor for such occassion. Feel free to stand behind me.

4th and Long
04-20-2006, 07:32 PM
LOL they all hate me for my long stand against the LJ draft pick even after I came around. I have a fine set of body armor for such occassion. Feel free to stand behind me.
Outstanding. I feel as if we've created a Skipper/Gilligan-esque bond.

JBucc
04-20-2006, 07:36 PM
This is nice news. Priest still has something left to give and you know he'll leave whatever he has on the field. He'll keep the D on their toes when LJ takes a breather or keep 'em guessing with him and LJ in the backfield at the same time.

Logical
04-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Outstanding. I feel as if we've created a Skipper/Gilligan-esque bond.I would prefer to be the Professor if it is allt the same to you. You just know he was doing both Ginger and Mary Ann.

JBucc
04-20-2006, 07:39 PM
I would prefer to be the Professor if it is allt the same to you. You just know he was doing both Ginger and Mary Ann.
I always figured it was just a big Gilligan's Isle gang bang.

Adept Havelock
04-20-2006, 07:42 PM
This is nice news. Priest still has something left to give and you know he'll leave whatever he has on the field. He'll keep the D on their toes when LJ takes a breather or keep 'em guessing with him and LJ in the backfield at the same time.

I really hope Solari can come up with some innovative "misdirection" 2HB sets and plays to put both LJ and Priest on the field at the same time, occasionaly.

4th and Long
04-20-2006, 07:45 PM
I would prefer to be the Professor if it is allt the same to you. You just know he was doing both Ginger and Mary Ann.
As you wish, Professor Roy Hinkley, Jr. :D

KCBOSS1
04-20-2006, 08:04 PM
I would like to see Priest take a Marshall Faulk role with the Chiefs. It would keep his legs fresh, prolong his career and still put him in a lot of scoring rolls. Plus, the opposing defenses would be kept off balance all of the time because when he is in on 3rd and 2, they couldn't bet on anything. I would definitely like to see him stay.

KCBOSS1
04-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I think it would really open up their versatility particularly in short situations. With he and LJ in at the same time in long situations, it would provide a double check down......linebackers nightmare.

hawkchief
04-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Preist won't play again. Carl must be doing some of his grade A BS posturing with the hopes of selling a few more season tickets. Typical.