PDA

View Full Version : Bryant Gumbel and Cris Collinsworth to be announcers for NFL Network games

KCChiefsFan88
04-20-2006, 06:03 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/apr2006/nf20060420_8433_db016.htm

NEWS ANALYSIS
By Tom Lowry

The NFL Network Picks a Team
The little-seen cable channel is hoping high profile recruits Bryant Gumbel and Cris Collinsworth will boost ratings

So you're the NFL, with a 2-year-old cable channel seen by only a third of the nation's 90 million homes with cable and satellite. What do you do? You draft smart, of course, and hope to create buzz. Advertisement

On Apr. 26, the NFL Network is expected to announce at its programming presentation to advertisers that it has hired TV veteran Bryant Gumbel and former wide receiver-turned-commentator Cris Collinsworth to call its new package of NFL games, BusinessWeek has learned.

FAMOUS FACES. It's a bold move. The 57-year-old Gumbel, who has presided for a decade over HBO's Emmy-winning monthly show, Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel, hasn't been in a booth since his early days at NBC Sports (GE ). After stints as co-hosts of The Today Show on NBC and on The Early Show on CBS, Gumbel -- known as a tenacious and thorough interviewer -- retired from network TV in 2002. Gumbel could not be reached for comment, but sources say the league is hoping his marquee name will attract viewers and persuade distributors to carry its network. An NFL Network spokesman declined comment.

Collinsworth, a former analyst on Fox (NWS ) and a onetime Cincinnati Bengals standout, will also be part of a new football broadcast team at NBC, which won the bidding to air NFL games this year as well.

PICKING TEAMS. The new NFL Network package -- a series of eight games to be shown on Thursdays and Saturdays -- will debut on the network on Thanksgiving night. Until now, the channel has shown news shows, old NFL Films clips, and commentary about pro football, anchored much of the time by former ESPN on-air personality Rich Eisen.

Besides the Eisen, Gumbel, and Collinsworth hires, the NFL Network has been on a tear recruiting top talent. Its CEO is Steve Bornstein, the former head of ESPN. Former ABC (DIS ) Sports chief Howard Katz is its chief operating officer. In early April, the network announced it hired veteran ABC producer Mark Loomis and Emmy-award NBC director John Gonzalez to coordinate its coverage of live games.

bogie
04-20-2006, 06:09 PM
I don't like Bryant Gumbel, he's a grown up Erkle (sp). I like his brother better. I do like Cris Collinsworth though.

nychief
04-20-2006, 06:10 PM
some things you can't unhear.

Frazod
04-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Collinsworth can eat a dick. I hate that smug arrogant f#ck. :#

bogie
04-20-2006, 06:26 PM

I don't get the same vibe from him. I guess it's true that you can't please all the people all the time.

Frazod
04-20-2006, 06:29 PM
I don't get the same vibe from him. I guess it's true that you can't please all the people all the time.

I have always detested him.

Logical
04-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Personally I really like the idea of these two as a broadcast crew.:thumb:

Bugeater
04-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Collinsworth isn't as bad as that turducken eating blabbermouth that's going to be on Sunday nights.

Ultra Peanut
04-20-2006, 09:53 PM
BRYANT F--AWW HELL NAW!

Ultra Peanut
04-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Personally I really like the idea of these two as a broadcast crew.:thumb:Only if their mics are unplugged, the doors are locked, and the booth is soundproofed.

Guru
04-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Only if their mics are unplugged, the doors are locked, and the booth is soundproofed.
ROFL

ChiefsCountry
04-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Thats not a bad crew. Its better than alot of the fuggers we get.

Rooster
04-21-2006, 03:34 PM

Amen to that. I have always hated Collinsworth and Gumble isn't much better. Piss poor crew IMO...

Tribal Warfare
04-21-2006, 03:39 PM
F*CKIN media whores

Amnorix
04-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Bryant I can take or leave, but I've always like Collinsworth. I agree he's somewhat arrogant, but he shoots straight and knows WTF he is talking about. He also doesn't babble like a babboon about irrelevant crap. He gives me football knowledge/insight, which is all I require from my announcers, but rarely get.

Boon
04-21-2006, 03:53 PM
I like Lenny and Mitch.