PDA

View Full Version : The 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers: Lamest Super Bowl Champs Ever?

Rain Man
04-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Are the Steelers a powerhouse team? Will you be wary of playing them next year, compared to past Super Bowl champions like Walsh's 49ers or Landry's Cowboys or those Gibbs Redskins teams or even the more one-shot wonders like Green Bay in the Favre era or ? Or are they just a 10-6 team that got on a roll at the right time and drew a pansy in the AFC championship?

Personally, I think they're one of the lamest Super Bowl champions ever, if not the lamest. They've got a decent defense and a good wide receiver, and their QB looks like he's decent. But are there any Hall of Famers on that roster?

I want my Super Bowl champions to have Hall of Famers. A Super Bowl champion should be spearheaded by a Montana or a Rice, a Csonka or a Bob Lilly, a Steel Curtain or a Greatest Show on Turf. Bettis seems like a great guy, and Hines Ward seems like a good, solid player, but neither one of them is going to make me dread a matchup for the Chiefs.

Blah. What a blah way to end the season last year.

Simplex3
04-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Roethlisberger has been a stud to this point. Dude has a career QB rating of 98.3, 34 TDs to 20 INTs, ~2500 yards per season. Add to that the fact that they've lost what, 3 games with him starting? I'd say that's solid.

Parker is an up and comer at RB. Ward is possibly a future HOFer. Bettis will most likely be. Their OL is pretty outstanding. Heath Miller looks like a nice TE.

As for the D, they're solid all-around but Porter and Polamalu are f**king studs.

No, they're pretty damn good. We're all buying too much into the "Seahawks got robbed" spin that's been going on all off-season. This is a team that went on the road, in DENVER, and took it to them IN THE PLAYOFFS. As Chiefs fans we should know what it takes to get a win out there on any Sunday.

Joe Seahawk
04-20-2006, 09:26 PM
The Seahawks made Roethlisberger look horrible..

I think they are a below average SB team.

SNR
04-20-2006, 09:27 PM
They were pretty good, but I'm wondering why they farted away so many games during the regular season.

I also think the SB Patriots at their best would've kicked their asses pretty good.

Simplex3
04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
The Seahawks made Roethlisberger look horrible..

What would that make the team that lost to them? :hmmm:

Simplex3
04-20-2006, 09:32 PM
I also think the SB Patriots at their best would've kicked their asses pretty good.
Agreed.

I think they would have beaten the Rams in their year as well as some others. I voted them squarly in the middle.

Joe Seahawk
04-20-2006, 10:07 PM
What would that make the team that lost to them? :hmmm:

That would make us the team that lost to a below average SB team..

Deberg_1990
04-20-2006, 10:11 PM

hahaha....now ive heard it all.......thats hilarious.

I would argue theres no such thing as a below average SB team. Especially one that won 3 road games against the top AFC teams to get to the SB.

Ultra Peanut
04-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Helllllooooo? Super Bowl Shuffle, anyone?

That takes the cake for lame.

Simplex3
04-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Helllllooooo? Super Bowl Shuffle, anyone?

That takes the cake for lame.
That was the top of the lame-ass SB pre-game stunts. The team was outstanding, though.

SNR
04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
The 1969 Chiefs. Got lucky. Never should've gotten pass the Raiders.

I kid, I kid

milkman
04-20-2006, 11:00 PM

I kid, I kid

rochambeau

chefsos
04-20-2006, 11:04 PM

I kid, I kid
You're kidding, of course, but I think the '68 Chiefs were better. (And no, I wasn't there. I was 9 with no interest in sports yet, so I had to read about it later.) If they somehow hadn't laid that giant stinkbomb in Oakland in the playoff for the division, no one would remember who the hell Joe Namath was. Hell, they might've won two or three titles.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I didn't quite put the Steelers in the lame category, but it was close.

Simplex3
04-20-2006, 11:12 PM
...no one would remember who the hell Joe Namath was...
Wow. That would rule. Yet another way the Chiefs have f**ked up the world.

listopencil
04-20-2006, 11:22 PM
About average for a Super Bowl team. They could beat about half of the previous winners.

Baconeater
04-20-2006, 11:28 PM
That Ravens team was pretty lame. Jeez, they had Trent Dilfer at QB and went for numerous games in the reg season without scoring a TD IIRC. The only highlight of that team was Tony Siragusa attempting to put Rich Gannon down for his dirtnap in the AFC title game.

listopencil
04-20-2006, 11:32 PM
hahaha....now ive heard it all.......thats hilarious.

I would argue theres no such thing as a below average SB team. Especially one that won 3 road games against the top AFC teams to get to the SB.

Yeah, I've got to give them respect for having an absolutely outstanding run to the SuperBowl. One of best post season performances ever.

Ultra Peanut
04-21-2006, 01:12 AM
That was the top of the lame-ass SB pre-game stunts. The team was outstanding, though.It was just their way of simultaneously being one of the best and worst teams of all time.

Rausch
04-21-2006, 01:22 AM
Slam them all you want but they've accomplished what damn near no other NFL team has.

What blinds most fans is the absolute suck that was that final game. That Super Bowl sucked. For the average fan who didn't care who won that game was a snore fest.

But, if you imagine us sneaking in the playoffs, then trouncing the Bengals two weeks in a row, then a huge upset over the Colts at their house. WOW.

THEN add in a win AT PILE HIGH, tossing Denber aside?

Tell me that wouldn't complete the Chief-wet-dream off season...

Phobia
04-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Hines Ward has already destroyed every record Stallworth and Swan set in fewer years - this is with a team that is reknowned for running the ball.

I'd say he's almost certain to be a HOF inductee.

Rausch
04-21-2006, 01:41 AM
Hines Ward has already destroyed every record Stallworth and Swan set in fewer years - this is with a team that is reknowned for running the ball.

I'd say he's almost certain to be a HOF inductee.

On top of that he's switched positions, set a record for QB rating in the super bowl, and and done so while Pitt pampered and sucked-off Bettis to promote his legacy.

Ward is the ultimate "throw it and he'll come down with it" WR.

But he's not mouthy, flashy, or huge with the YAC so he gets no pub...

Ultra Peanut
04-21-2006, 01:55 AM
It's a clear anti-Asian bias.

Rausch
04-21-2006, 02:01 AM
It's a clear anti-Asian bias.

Since it makes me look like a person less likely to hate based on race or culture I'd be more than willing to appear on camera and espouse my disdain for the lack of respect, not to mention the double standard for said HOF candidate when considering his production and accomplishments...

Amnorix
04-21-2006, 05:47 AM
I'm going with the 'bout average as well. The AFC is very tough these days, and the Seahawks weren't like the Giants of a couple years back in terms of SB competition. They're a very good, solid team with an OLine/RB combination that is among the tops in the NFL (with a nod towards the Chiefs of course in this area).

I'll also point out that if it wasn't for the Patriots, the Steelers could easily have one or two more rings on their fingers over the past few years, and we'd be talking about a new Steelers dynasty, instead of whether this particular Steelers team was really all that great of a SB winner. Pointing this out puts the whole debate into a bit of a different spin, I think.

DaKCMan AP
04-21-2006, 07:27 AM
With the ring Bettis will be a HOF.

Chiefnj
04-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Slam them all you want but they've accomplished what damn near no other NFL team has.

What blinds most fans is the absolute suck that was that final game. That Super Bowl sucked. For the average fan who didn't care who won that game was a snore fest.

But, if you imagine us sneaking in the playoffs, then trouncing the Bengals two weeks in a row, then a huge upset over the Colts at their house. WOW.

THEN add in a win AT PILE HIGH, tossing Denber aside?

Tell me that wouldn't complete the Chief-wet-dream off season...

I agree with Rausch. Pitt should be regarded as one of the best teams, a true Cinderalla Story going on the road and beating teams that the media whacks off over.

The big game itself was boring, in large part because of the Seahawks. Nobody outside of Seattle really cares about the Seahawks.

DeepSouth
04-21-2006, 11:22 AM
The fact that they are the superbowl champs is not near as important as the fact that they beat the Colt in Indy and the Broncos in Denver to get there.

I'll always have a spot for them in my heart for that accomplishment.

BIG_DADDY
04-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Talent pool has become too diluted they have to be below average. Look at the old iron curtain Steelers team. They would have beat this one by 3 touchdowns.