PDA

View Full Version : United93 movie

banyon
04-20-2006, 09:23 PM
<embed src="http://www.ifilm.com/WMPPlaylist.asx?l=-2030057504&ifilmId=2714756&bandwidth=300" autostart="false" volume="60" kioskmode="true"> </embed>

try clicking twice on play button

link if you cannot see (http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2687799?htv=12)

From the director of The Bourne Supremacy

banyon
04-20-2006, 09:26 PM
premieres at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 25.

banyon
04-20-2006, 10:23 PM
I was thinking maybe people had an opinion about this.

1) too soon?

2) too fake?

3) sh*** director?

4) false premise (i.e., this stuff didn't happen)?

I assume that this movie ends with the plane crashing into Shanksville, PA and not being detroyed in mid air by fighter jet missiles.

WoodDraw
04-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I have mixed feelings. Leaving aside all points on the historical accuracy and the director's ability, I have misgivings with a major studio producing a film on 9/11 this soon. It likely will take in a decent amount of money (10% of profits go to memorial), and I can't help but feel that will be an exploitation of what happened. It's a tragic event, but also one that deserves to me remembered. Is this the way to do it? I'd say probably not. For some reason, I doubt those involved were thinking that they'd really like to give up their lives so Universal could make some money. As long as the families are fine with it though, it's hard to get too angry.

Taco John
04-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Given that I've completely forgotten about 7/11 entirely, I'm thankful that Hollywood is there to throw it in my face and force me to relive it all over again.

Ultra Peanut
04-21-2006, 01:22 AM
NEVAR FORGET

Sully
04-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Can you imagine the marketing?
"If you don't see the most important movie of this generation...
... the terrorists have already won."

Chiefs Express
04-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Given that I've completely forgotten about 7/11 entirely, I'm thankful that Hollywood is there to throw it in my face and force me to relive it all over again.

:BS:

mlyonsd
04-21-2006, 07:44 AM
I have mixed feelings. Leaving aside all points on the historical accuracy and the director's ability, I have misgivings with a major studio producing a film on 9/11 this soon. It likely will take in a decent amount of money (10% of profits go to memorial), and I can't help but feel that will be an exploitation of what happened. It's a tragic event, but also one that deserves to me remembered. Is this the way to do it? I'd say probably not. For some reason, I doubt those involved were thinking that they'd really like to give up their lives so Universal could make some money. As long as the families are fine with it though, it's hard to get too angry.

What he said.

Chiefs Express
04-21-2006, 07:45 AM
None of the links worked, home or at work.

Anyone download the trailer?

Brock
04-21-2006, 07:47 AM
Only about 50 years too soon.

patteeu
04-21-2006, 09:00 AM
I don't plan on seeing it, but if the families are OK with it, I don't have a problem with it (unless it turns out to be anti-Cheney propaganda, of course ;) ).

Speaking of movies though, for those who have been to see V for Vendetta, is it something I shouldn't take my 8 and 11 year olds to see? I don't care too much about them seeing violence unless it is extremely graphic. My main concern would be sex (and horror although I wouldn't expect that in this flick). What's that website that let's you read about all the scenes that cause a movie to be rated the way it is?

Braincase
04-21-2006, 10:28 AM
I don't plan on seeing it, but if the families are OK with it, I don't have a problem with it (unless it turns out to be anti-Cheney propaganda, of course ;) ).

Speaking of movies though, for those who have been to see V for Vendetta, is it something I shouldn't take my 8 and 11 year olds to see? I don't care too much about them seeing violence unless it is extremely graphic. My main concern would be sex (and horror although I wouldn't expect that in this flick). What's that website that let's you read about all the scenes that cause a movie to be rated the way it is?

I don't think I'll be taking my kids to see it anytime soon (9 yr. old). Themes are adult - sexuality.

Taco John
04-21-2006, 10:30 AM

I would think that the movie would be suitable for the 11 year old... Not so sure about the 8 year old though. I just don't have a good grasp on what 8 year olds are able to grasp. There is some violence in the movie, to be sure... But nothing overtly sexual in terms of sex scenes. They do, however, sympahize with some gay characters and show two women kissing in one scene, so I'm not sure how you'd feel about that. Everything is tastefully done as far as that goes... or at least as tasteful as showing two women kissing can be.

I'd take my 11 year old just for the libertarian message... if I had one, that is.

banyon
04-21-2006, 11:11 AM

patteeu,

The movie doesn't just have a "little" violence. It has a ton.

There are some other disturbing scenes too, like when the dude's flesh is burned up.

Also there are disturbing torture scenes.

There are also at least 2 unconsummated rape-style scenes.

That being said, the movie I think is greeat.

I am probably the last dude to advise a guy on what to show his kids, but I would be reluctant to show my kid under 14, if I had one...I suppose I'll need to meet a girl who I can stand to be around for more than 3 weeks first :sulk:

P.S. This is a "progressive"-themed movie. Are you raising some little liberals to argue with? :p

Bowser
04-21-2006, 02:29 PM
This movie just isn't a good idea.

It'll flop, and people will be screaming that nobody cares about this that or the other anymore.

redbrian
04-21-2006, 02:36 PM

Really “Hollywood” is going to force you at gun point to see this movie?

Now is this the left wing actors Hollywood, or the evil right wing money grubbing exporters of American culture movie moguls that are forcing you to relive this tragic event?

Adept Havelock
04-21-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm pretty apathetic about it.

It's really no different than the films that were made about Pearl Harbor in '42 and '43, IMO.

Anyone else seen John Ford's December 7, 1941...released in '43? Decent flick from a great director. The military made him cut it from 84 to 30 minutes because they didn't like the lack of preparedness it showed. The full version didn't come out till years later.

Republic, 20th Century Fox, and a couple of others did some quick "cash in" flicks in '42, the worst of the bunch was probably the propaganda puff piece "Little Tokyo, USA".

United 93 certainly won't be any worse than Showtime's truly craptacular effort "DC 9/11 Time of Crisis".

Hydrae
04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Don't really care either way, tis a frree country. I will say that I am not ready to see this no matter how well done. I would probably be bawling 1/2 way through the movie just because of the emotions it brings up.

patteeu
04-22-2006, 07:32 AM
I don't think I'll be taking my kids to see it anytime soon (9 yr. old). Themes are adult - sexuality.

patteeu,

The movie doesn't just have a "little" violence. It has a ton.

There are some other disturbing scenes too, like when the dude's flesh is burned up.

Also there are disturbing torture scenes.

There are also at least 2 unconsummated rape-style scenes.

That being said, the movie I think is greeat.

I am probably the last dude to advise a guy on what to show his kids, but I would be reluctant to show my kid under 14, if I had one...I suppose I'll need to meet a girl who I can stand to be around for more than 3 weeks first :sulk:

P.S. This is a "progressive"-themed movie. Are you raising some little liberals to argue with? :p

Based on the sexuality/near-rape scenes I will probably leave them at home. I figured out the website I was looking for and looked the movie up on www.screenit.com. The near-rape scene and the scene with the pedophilic bishop are my primary concerns. Thanks for the input.

The part about a "progressive" theme is pretty scary too, but I think my kids would recognize that progressive themes are like cussing, violence, and drug use. They are OK in the movies, but you don't want to imitate that bad behavior in real life. ;)

patteeu
04-22-2006, 07:43 AM
I would think that the movie would be suitable for the 11 year old... Not so sure about the 8 year old though. I just don't have a good grasp on what 8 year olds are able to grasp. There is some violence in the movie, to be sure... But nothing overtly sexual in terms of sex scenes. They do, however, sympahize with some gay characters and show two women kissing in one scene, so I'm not sure how you'd feel about that. Everything is tastefully done as far as that goes... or at least as tasteful as showing two women kissing can be.

I'd take my 11 year old just for the libertarian message... if I had one, that is.

That sounds about right. I think my 11 year old could handle it. The 8 year old might still be a little young. I'll probably leave them both at home and make it a night out for the wife and myself. Later, after seeing it, we can rent it if we think it's OK for the kids (and when we have fast forward control to skip past any scenes we don't want them to see).

The gay stuff doesn't bother me. I don't try to shelter them from gay, I just try to shelter them from sex of any flavor if it gets too hot and heavy. For some reason it worries me more for them to see mature R-rated sex scenes than it does for them to see violence, language, nudity or drug use. I guess I worry more about their eventual sex drives than I do about their liklihood of imitating the violence or some of the other stuff.

For the most part, I don't think they pick up on the political messages of movies. They do know that George W. Bush is the best president this country has had during their lifetimes though. :p

Demonpenz
04-22-2006, 04:46 PM
MIX DISASTER WITH LOVE STORY = $$$$ Celien dion has already signed on to do a trio with aerosmith and faith hill.