PDA

View Full Version : Columbine-like Murder Plot Thwarted

Coach
04-21-2006, 02:14 PM
http://people.aol.com/people/articles/0,19736,1186126,00.html

Columbine-Like Murder Plot Thwarted

Friday Apr 21, 2006 11:55am EST
By Stephen M. Silverman

Five teenage boys who allegedly planned to carry out a shooting spree at their Kansas small-town high school were arrested on Thursday the 7-year anniversary of the Columbine High School shooting spree just hours after one of them divulged the plot on MySpace.com, law enforcement and school officials said.

"What the resounding theme is: They were actually going to do this," Cherokee County Sheriff Steve Norman said, as quoted by The Associated Press.

In Riverton, Ks. (pop. about 600), sheriff's deputies discovered guns, ammunition, knives and coded messages in the bedroom of one suspect and documents about firearms and references to Armageddon in the lockers of two of the others.

The five suspects, ranging in ages from 16 to 18 were not immediately identified, but are expected to appear in court Friday, when charges are likely to be announced, said Attorney General Phill Kline.

As they had planned since the beginning of the school year, the five had intended to don black trench coats and disable the school's camera system before launching their attack between noon and 1 p.m. Thursday, Norman said.

The plan mirrors the Columbine massacre, which claimed 13 people before its two young perpetrators committed suicide. Beside the Columbine anniversary, April 20 also marks the birthday of Adolf Hitler.

"The (MySpace) message, it was brief, but it stated that there was going to be a shooting at the Riverton school and that people should wear bulletproof vests and flak jackets," Norman said. School officials identified the student who posted the message and talked to several of his friends, he added.

Riverton school district Superintendent David Walters said the significance of the threat did not become clear until Wednesday night, after a woman in North Carolina who had chatted with one of the suspects on MySpace.com notified authorities about the planned attack.

Those suspects under the age of 18 were being held Thursday at a juvenile detention center in Girard. The 18-year-old was in the Cherokee County Jail. No decision has been made on whether to charge the four juveniles as adults, Kline said.

Barbara Gibson, a 17-year-old junior at the high school, told AP her classmates didn't seem too bothered by the threat. "A lot of people just talked about it," she said. "But there wasn't much reaction."

SLAG
04-21-2006, 02:16 PM
dumb kids :shake:

chagrin
04-21-2006, 02:16 PM
nice, "...there wasn't much reaction."

Coach
04-21-2006, 02:18 PM
nice, "there wasn't much reaction".

Yeah. I work for a local school district, and I always make sure there isn't anything "unusual" going on, especially on that date. Lord knows how many kids are that dumb on trying to pull of that crap. :shake:

Chiefs Express
04-21-2006, 02:19 PM
This came out sometime before last evening. I don't remember if it was on my way to work on Wednesday or on my way home.

I think the kids should be tried as adults, their planning of the event was pretty detailed according to news sources in the Tulsa area.

Boozer
04-21-2006, 02:19 PM
I bet Big Daddy is pissed off at the snitches.

chiefsfaninNC
04-21-2006, 02:25 PM
I am still dumbfounded with this news. I grew up near Riverton and played both football and baseball in the town. The biggest thing to come out of Riverton is Monte Weathers (return man/running back for the seahawks). I would have never though I would see something like this coming out of Riverton.

Pitt Gorilla
04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Ahh, Riverton. They had a running back that absolutely cleaned my clock when I was a freshman. Heck, their whole team was good that year. I think his name was Ball or something. He was later arrested for holding up a daycare center. Good times.

chagrin
04-21-2006, 02:28 PM
I am still dumbfounded with this news. I grew up near Riverton and played both football and baseball in the town. The biggest thing to come out of Riverton is Monte Weathers (return man/running back for the seahawks). I would have never though I would see something like this coming out of Riverton.

So let me get this straight:
You cam from Riverton
Biggest thing to come out of Riverton is Monte Weathers
You never though you would see someting like this coming out of riverton.

Is that correct?

:p

Coach

Well, with kids today, playing those violent video games, along with either issues at school/home/friends, and all all those up together, it pretty much can happen to any school.

Granted, I like to think that it won't happen to the school I work in, but the reality is, it could happen.

Skip Towne
I bet Big Daddy is pissed off at the snitches.
I hope he sics a pit bull on them.

chagrin
04-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Ahh, Riverton. They had a running back that absolutely cleaned my clock when I was a freshman. Heck, their whole team was good that year. I think his name was Ball or something. He was later arrested for holding up a daycare center. Good times.

Was he also a 3rd round pick for the Donks?

alpha_omega
04-21-2006, 02:29 PM
He was later arrested for holding up a daycare center. Good times.

Do daycares have alot of cash on hand?
Surely there is a better place to rob.

Rooster
04-21-2006, 02:35 PM

His name was Andy Ball. He was an absolute stud on the football field and one of the laziest basketball players I have ever seen. Riverton was really good that year.

I was surprised about the whole thing too when I read about it last night. What a bunch of dumbasses.

greg63
04-21-2006, 02:37 PM
dumb kids :shake:

I heard about this last night; definitely a case were stupidity saved the day, sort of speak.

Pitt Gorilla
04-21-2006, 02:38 PM
His name was Andy Ball. He was an absolute stud on the football field and one of the laziest basketball players I have ever seen. Riverton was really good that year.

I was surprised about the whole thing too when I read about it last night. What a bunch of dumbasses.I had bruised ribs for about a week. He and Junior Neal were studs. As a freshman linebacker, I got owned. Then again, they still had to live in Riverton.

chagrin
04-21-2006, 02:39 PM
I had bruised ribs for about a week. He and Junior Neal were studs. As a freshman linebacker, I got owned. Then again, they still had to live in Riverton.

I'm sure you get tired of answering this but what where did ya get that "rabbit's crazy..."? and what dhes it have to do with Brian Waters?

Pitt Gorilla
04-21-2006, 02:41 PM
I'm sure you get tired of answering this but what where did ya get that "rabbit's crazy..."? and what dhes it have to do with Brian Waters?It was an old SNL sketch with Tracy Morgan. He played a guy named Brian Fellow who had strange thoughts about animals.

Rain Man
04-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Do daycares have alot of cash on hand?
Surely there is a better place to rob.

It wasn't the money he was after. It was the graham crackers.

alpha_omega
04-21-2006, 02:43 PM

ROFL

Rooster
04-21-2006, 02:44 PM
ROFL ROFL Damn those are some tastey crackers...

Rooster
04-21-2006, 02:45 PM
I had bruised ribs for about a week. He and Junior Neal were studs. As a freshman linebacker, I got owned. Then again, they still had to live in Riverton.

Junior Neal... That is a name I haven't heard in a while. I assume you played in the CNC League.

Skip Towne
04-21-2006, 02:48 PM
It was an old SNL sketch with Tracy Morgan. He played a guy named Brian Fellow who had strange thoughts about animals.
Who did you play for?

FAX
04-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Maybe Andy realized that you can sell a baby for thousands of dollars.

Even lonely, sick ones fetch a pretty good price.

FAX

SLAG
04-21-2006, 02:49 PM
those kids had to want to get caught my take on it is that these kids had low self esteem and the only way they knew how to get attention was in negative fashion thier blogs were a desperate cry for help

chiefsfaninNC
04-21-2006, 02:51 PM
So let me get this straight:
You cam from Riverton
Biggest thing to come out of Riverton is Monte Weathers
You never though you would see someting like this coming out of riverton.

Is that correct?

:p

No. I grew up in Pittsburg. Played football and baseball against Riverton. Sorry. Poor writing skills.

chiefsfaninNC
04-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Junior Neal... That is a name I haven't heard in a while. I assume you played in the CNC League.

I played in the CNC. Colgan.

FAX
04-21-2006, 02:55 PM
those kids had to want to get caught my take on it is that these kids had low self esteem and the only way they knew how to get attention was in negative fashion thier blogs were a desperate cry for help

You make a good point, Mr. SLAG02. Far better to answer a cry for help on MySpace.com now than answer a 911 call later.

Still, the entire episode reminds me that the combination of alcohol, ignorance and boredom is a volatile recipe. These young men need something better in their lives. That's why prostitution should be legalized and vouchers provided by the government.

FAX

Skip Towne
04-21-2006, 03:00 PM
I played in the CNC. Colgan.
I had a farm near Erie when Erie beat Colgan (football) for the first time in 20 some years. Must have been about 10 years ago.

chiefsfaninNC
04-21-2006, 03:04 PM
I had a farm near Erie when Erie beat Colgan (football) for the first time in 20 some years. Must have been about 10 years ago.

I wasn't on that team thank God. I graduated in 84. If we had lost to Erie or Chetopa I wouldn't admit to playing football at the time.

Rain Man
04-21-2006, 03:10 PM
You make a good point, Mr. SLAG02. Far better to answer a cry for help on MySpace.com now than answer a 911 call later.

Still, the entire episode reminds me that the combination of alcohol, ignorance and boredom is a volatile recipe. These young men need something better in their lives. That's why prostitution should be legalized and vouchers provided by the government.

FAX

My plan would link it to academic performance. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=138460

FAX
04-21-2006, 03:26 PM
My plan would link it to academic performance. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=138460

I see you've already considered this approach to improving the performance of our youth, Mr. Rain Man. My compliments. And, my apologies for missing this marvelous poll.

Without question, your idea will work. Although, it may be asking too much to require high grades when you consider that intelligence and sociopathic behavior rarely co-exist in the same personality. I like the idea of the reward tied to passivity. Stay out of trouble for a week and you receive a hand job by an overweight file room manager. Keep your record clean for a year and you spend the night with three bi-sexual cover girls.

The war on crime would be won at long last and some well-deserving girls would have an ancillary income. Cry havoc and unleash the hounds of government-sponsored prostitution.

FAX

Buster's Dad
04-21-2006, 04:21 PM

I was surprised about the whole thing too when I read about it last night. What a bunch of dumbasses.

I think that was the year we played them in the state championship game and beat them. I think it would of been about 90 or 91 :clap:

Pitt Gorilla
04-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Junior Neal... That is a name I haven't heard in a while. I assume you played in the CNC League.Girard High School.

Coach
04-21-2006, 05:13 PM
Well, I just hope those kids get tried as an adult.

Anyone wanna wager that at least 3 of these kids were probably on Ritalin?

Kerberos
04-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Yeah. I work for a local school district, and I always make sure there isn't anything "unusual" going on, especially on that date. Lord knows how many kids are that dumb on trying to pull of that crap. :shake:

I work for the School District here in Junction City USD475. I am a network/PC tech and I work at Junction City High School full time.

I am almost ready to ask my boss to issue me a bullet proof vest as standard issue. If any kids could go POSTAL it is most certainly one of the off the wall renegades that go to school here.

This kind of Sh!t scares the hell out of me as I don't want to be a statistic because some snot nosed geek didn't get enough attention from mommy and daddy growing up. :shake:

This sh!t will get out of control .... It will get out of control and we will be lucky to live through it! :banghead:

Wallcrawler
04-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Well, with kids today, playing those violent video games....

Oh Jesus.

Please dont tell me youre one of these people who blames every whackjob teenager's psychotic episode in part, or entirely on violent videogames.

Let me tell you something about violent videogames. They contribute NOTHING toward someone losing it and offing someone. Basicly, if youre too f'ed up in your mind to discern video game from reality, you got bigger problems than what the game showed you.

Movies depict more graphic violence than videogames do.

If violent films and games made people killers, I would have made Charles Manson look like something out of a bedtime story long ago. I play these violent games, and pull off some of the sickest stuff you could imagine, and some people watching look at me as If I got something wrong with me. Three words put things back in perspective.

ITS NOT REAL.

Anyone with a shred of intelligence knows this. Theres nothing in a game that is going to make someone kill another person. If the person goes that far, there were deeper seeded problems with that person from the outset.

The problem with these kids today is lack of discipline, and proper parenting. Not what they play on their home videogame console. Only the most disturbed human being is going to actually think its a good idea to kill a real person anyway. Videogames, nor movies or television are to blame.

Let me ask you this.

Say little Johnny lives down the street from you. Johnny goes to school/work and has the worst day of his life. He's beyond angry.

Now would which would you prefer.

A. Johnny goes home, goes into his room, and boots up the most violent game he has and unleashes all of his frustration on a bunch of pixelated people, butchering them in all variety of nasty fashions, immediately feeling much better.

or

B. Johnny goes home, goes into his room, loads up his shotgun and pistol and heads down to the local supermarket for some hands-on anger management time only with real people.

I dont know about you, but Id rather he killed make believe people in his room, rather than going out and venting his frustrations on real people.

Ive heard this drivel about violent videogames/movies being a contributing factor to what makes someone a killer so much that I want to puke.

How about we stop throwing out the excuses for these nutjobs, and see things for how they really are. The person made a conscious decision to end the life of another human being. Nothing MADE them do it. They CHOSE to do it.

I guess it helps people to sleep better at night if they have some excuse as to why the killer did what he did. I guess blaming it on games or movies is easier to handle than the fact that the person simply chose to kill another human being, and wasnt made to do it.

People would rather believe that something influenced the person, made them do it, as if they didnt really have a clear cut knowledge of right or wrong, rather than face the fact that there are people in this world who just dont give a rats ass about the value of human life.

Whatever helps you sleep, I guess.

KcMizzou
04-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, with kids today, playing those violent video games, along with either issues at school/home/friends, and all all those up together, it pretty much can happen to any school.
I hope you're kidding.

Sure-Oz
04-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Where are the parents? Probably smokin' crack.