PDA

View Full Version : The 50 worst things to happen to music

KcMizzou
04-22-2006, 12:33 PM
Per Blender magazine...

http://music.aol.com/home/blender/rock-6#

luv
04-22-2006, 12:51 PM
The first thing that came to my mind was overexposure.

Also, making music for the masses.

ChiefFripp
04-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Spandex

KcMizzou
04-22-2006, 01:07 PM
politics

ChiefFripp
04-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Videos

luv
04-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Spandex
LOL

Maybe the 80's in general? Big hair and make-up. Isn't that when all the hard rock bands started doing slow love ballads?

ChiefFripp
04-22-2006, 01:12 PM
LOL

Maybe the 80's in general? Big hair and make-up. Isn't that when all the hard rock bands started doing slow love ballads?

The image of David Coverdale spread-eagle in front of a Jaquar just came flashing back to me! Argh!

ZepSinger
04-22-2006, 01:53 PM
In that same vein (and on the AOL site as well):
The 50 Most Awesomely Dead Rock Stars (http://music.aol.com/home/blender/dead_rock_stars.adp)

Reaper16
04-22-2006, 01:59 PM
That article was stupid. Numerous times, it completely dismissed prog-rock as an ill of music. (The magazine has a large bias towards indie and punk rock)

Nightwish
04-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Michael Bolton

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Tim McGraw... although it's technically not music.

StcChief
04-24-2006, 07:45 AM
RAP

DMAC
04-24-2006, 08:00 AM
RAPAgreed. That and MTV ruined music. Luckily both seem to be going down the crapper.

cdcox
04-24-2006, 08:18 AM
MTV. That is all.

StcChief
04-24-2006, 10:27 AM
MTV. That is all.
or what MTV has become.....

Saw MTV when it first appeared in 1982, quite different than now....

CosmicPal
04-24-2006, 12:44 PM

The Dude that yells Freebird! at every concert.

ROFL

CosmicPal
04-24-2006, 12:56 PM
#1 Kids Today!

Back in our day, we didn't have any of yer fancy iPods and ringtones and downloads. We didn't have the luxury and convenience of your scrotum-rings and your World Wide Web logs. When we wanted to steal the new URIAH HEEP album, we couldn't just troll the Internet for it, we had to do it the old-fashioned way -- by hiking to the store (uphill, both ways) and shoving 12" of vinyl under our sweaters (which we had to knit ourselves). That's why you sniveling whipper-snappers don't appreciate the real value of music. Or Uriah Heep. Now get the hell off our lawn!

Well, that brought back memories. When I was a kid growing up in KC, I used to go to Tiger's Records and browse through the record racks. You couldn't listen to them. You had to go with your gut feeling if something looked appealing to you.

Today, the kids (and everyone) have it made. We can listen to music before we buy it. This is good for bands who otherwise may not get a listen, but also bad because too many peeps listen to a couple of songs and then decide they don't like it. But, more importantly you get to discover all kinds of music. When MTV first came out- it was good for that very thing, but then it quickly became a shitty format for anything good.

We now have Satellite radio and streaming music everywhere. You can go on the web and read reviews and listen to music at any time. And should you only like one freakin' song on the album, Amen, you only have to purchase that one song instead of all the other crap on the album.

The writer/s is/are an idiot. Dumb list.

Spicy McHaggis
04-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Scott Stapp #42. **** yeah.

RaiderH8r
04-24-2006, 01:57 PM
U2...

jlscorpio
04-25-2006, 11:32 AM
computers. The kind that are used as instruments, and the kind that download music

Fish
04-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Memo to aspiring rock stars: Lyrics do not constitute poetry. Neither do pedestrian observations your lifecoach thinks are profound. And despite what Jim Morrison seemed to believe, disturbed Freudian ramblings you howl while waving your dick around onstage are also, alas, not poetry. Please "cc" Jewel, Billy Corgan and Jeff Tweedy on this memo.

Brilliant!

HC_Chief
04-25-2006, 03:34 PM
or what MTV has become.....

Saw MTV when it first appeared in 1982, quite different than now....

No shit. I remember seeing DRI videos.
Hell, I remember seeing <i>videos</i>

ZepSinger
04-25-2006, 06:50 PM
No shit. I remember seeing DRI videos.
Hell, I remember seeing <i>videos</i>

MTV, believe it or not, was groundbreaking in 1982. Sad to see the waste of bandwidth it's become... :shake:

cdcox
04-25-2006, 11:39 PM
MTV, believe it or not, was groundbreaking in 1982. Sad to see the waste of bandwidth it's become... :shake:

Even in '82 it was detrimental to good music. Bands started paying more attention to the the video than the music. And every song was interpreted rigidly through its video, leaving less opportunity of the listener to bring his own perspective.

Frosty
04-26-2006, 07:42 AM
This should have been #1

42 Melisma

It's a fact: Words like "girl" and "baby" do not have 25 syllables. But thanks to that R&B-spawned, 'Idol'-promulgated school of vocal histrionics -- wherein one overdoes gospel ululations like Whitney Houston with a noseful -- neither the shortest word nor sweetest melody can go unmolested by a uvula-spazzing "showstopper."

Dunit35
04-26-2006, 07:57 AM
MTV plays what a whopping five hours of music a day and thats from like 1-6 a.m. when everyone is a sleep.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 09:54 AM
nazis and scenesters.

Reaper16
04-26-2006, 09:57 AM
nazis and scenesters.
Though, you have to admit, it is hilarious when a couple of scene kidz go to a hardcore show and get trapped in the pit with a bald dude in red suspenders :D

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Though, you have to admit, it is hilarious when a couple of scene kidz go to a hardcore show and get trapped in the pit with a bald dude in red suspenders :D

braces.

Demonpenz
04-26-2006, 10:29 AM
lol #13 Rush fans!

|Zach|
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Luckily both seem to be going down the crapper.
Ha, not in the least.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 02:07 PM
emo being pawned off as hardcore.
metal being pawned off as hardcore.

StcChief
04-26-2006, 02:23 PM
No sh1t.

Nightwish
04-26-2006, 04:25 PM
Likewise, hardcare being pawned off as metal.

I don't even know what emo is.

Reaper16
04-26-2006, 07:53 PM
The whole metalcore trend right now is pissing me off. You've got scene kids coming to metal and hardcore shows because they dig As I Lay Dying and Atreyu.

There are a scant few metalcore bands I like; the majority of the genre irritates me to no end, and embarrasses metal and hardcore fans alike.

MOhillbilly
04-27-2006, 06:36 AM
gotta agree w/ you reaper, i think the problem in part is young or ignorant metal fans look at a band w/ a big wall of sound and crunchy riffs and call it hardcore....look no further than hatebreed, first two albums(the 1st esp) was an amazing blend more HC. there 2nd not so much and after that they went full metal but the first LPs sound got them slaped w/ a label, now anything metal that remotely sounds like hatebreed is branded metal.

its the emo and scenesters(do i look cool enough crowd) that kill whats important.

The "just cant hate enough" that is HC lifesblood.

and to an extent metals.

NewChief
04-27-2006, 06:39 AM

Emo in general.

Count Zarth
04-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Electronic Keyboards.

Reaper16
04-27-2006, 10:02 AM
gotta agree w/ you reaper, i think the problem in part is young or ignorant metal fans look at a band w/ a big wall of sound and crunchy riffs and call it hardcore....look no further than hatebreed, first two albums(the 1st esp) was an amazing blend more HC. there 2nd not so much and after that they went full metal but the first LPs sound got them slaped w/ a label, now anything metal that remotely sounds like hatebreed is branded metal.

its the emo and scenesters(do i look cool enough crowd) that kill whats important.

The "just cant hate enough" that is HC lifesblood.

and to an extent metals.
Yup, can't disagree.
There's all sorts of metalcore bands that get labled as metal or hardcore, usually both (even though theier neither). These 15 year olds with stupid haircuts will come in and slam dance at a black metal show. I've seen this with my own eyes. The think they're so cool because they're music is heavier than everyone else's, but they are really listening to a bunch of big label commercial bands.

I think that some of the m/c bands have artistic merit; I feel this way with Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, All That Remains, and God Forbid. Hatebreed, too, I suppose.

But on the whole, this trend (and it's exactly a trend) is harmful to the purity of both metal and hardcore.
(I say punk and metal should only mix in Thrash!)

DomerNKC
04-30-2006, 03:41 PM
In that same vein (and on the AOL site as well):
The 50 Most Awesomely Dead Rock Stars (http://music.aol.com/home/blender/dead_rock_stars.adp)that list was really wrong. the only list that b.i.g. and tupak should share with Lennon and Elvis is the phone book. Elvis and John Lennon are MUSIC legends and notorious P.I.G. and 6pac are dead jokes. that list maker should seek a musical education or be treated the same as biggie and halfpack.

kpic
05-01-2006, 09:43 AM
I say punk and metal should only mix in Thrash!

Prior to "Thrash" being "Thrash" there was........

Venom!!??

Lets see if anyone is old enough to remember.

Baby Lee
05-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Electronic Keyboards.
Keytars.

Reaper16
05-01-2006, 10:16 AM

Venom!!??

Lets see if anyone is old enough to remember.
Venom is kind of thrashy, but not really. Thier classic album, "Black metal," named a genre despite said genre not really sounding like Venom. Heh.

Reaper16
05-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Both keyboards and keytars rule, btw.

Nightwish
05-01-2006, 10:59 AM

Venom!!??

Lets see if anyone is old enough to remember.Ah, yeah, I remember them. The sinister KISS. Were they the first to do that whole made-up one-word name thing (like Kronos) that you now see in bands like Dimmu Borgir and Emperor, or was that trend already underway when they picked it up?

MOhillbilly
05-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Both keyboards and keytars rule, btw.

I ****ing love the keytar.

MOhillbilly
05-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Venom is kind of thrashy, but not really. Thier classic album, "Black metal," named a genre despite said genre not really sounding like Venom. Heh.

That Angeldust song was the best thing venom ever did. Thats not saying much IMO.

You should check out Icepick, its got bodycounts newone.

kpic
05-01-2006, 12:24 PM

Completely agree with that.

I was going along the lines of bands mixing punk with metal. Venom were (one of?) the first to do that to my knowledge (at least in the sense that they made it known that was the sound they were going for)

kpic
05-01-2006, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=MOhillbilly]That Angeldust song was the best thing venom ever did. Thats not saying much IMO.[QUOTE]

Yes their musical talent (or lack of) can be debated quite a bit. What they did for heavy metal - blurring the lines - to punk I don't think can.

Cave Johnson
05-01-2006, 12:34 PM

The Dude that yells Freebird! at every concert.

ROFL

I used to be that guy, occasionally. I've since reformed.

Reaper16
05-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Completely agree with that.

I was going along the lines of bands mixing punk with metal. Venom were (one of?) the first to do that to my knowledge (at least in the sense that they made it known that was the sound they were going for)
Yes, Venom was influential in that respect. The whole (named by the media) New Wave of British Heavy Metal was really influential in blending punk into metal. NWoBHM bands included Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Diamond Head, and even Def Leppard (who later went pop/hard rock).

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2006, 01:06 PM
MTV'S degeneration

MOhillbilly
05-01-2006, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=MOhillbilly]That Angeldust song was the best thing venom ever did. Thats not saying much IMO.[QUOTE]

Yes their musical talent (or lack of) can be debated quite a bit. What they did for heavy metal - blurring the lines - to punk I don't think can.

punk would be used loosely in the since that it was because it was diffrent at that time(they were no Blitz/Negative approach by any strech).
I wouldnt even call it ground breaking enough to merit discussion.
They just followed the trail Sabbath/Motorhead laid down before.

BWillie
05-01-2006, 01:28 PM
I f'ing hate EMO and anything like it. People now call it alternative, and/or rock music. Drives me nuts, these guys are freaking queers and chicks love them. They are 130 pound whining douchebags who wear glasses and chicks wet themselves. I just don't get it.

BWillie
05-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Scott Stapp #42. **** yeah.

O ya, I have to defend Scott Stapp. This is a cool guy, he is drunk damn near all the time. He tries to be moral, but fails miserably. Tries to get into fights at the bar with cool bands gone gay like 311, gets so drunk that he sings higher lyrics when his band is playing arms wide open and then gets booted from his band. Lets see, what else.. o ya, he married a supermodel, then a few days later at 10 am was so drunk at an airport that security would not let him board his plane. Cool guy if you ask me.

Spicy McHaggis
05-01-2006, 03:21 PM
O ya, I have to defend Scott Stapp. This is a cool guy, he is drunk damn near all the time. He tries to be moral, but fails miserably. Tries to get into fights at the bar with cool bands gone gay like 311, gets so drunk that he sings higher lyrics when his band is playing arms wide open and then gets booted from his band. Lets see, what else.. o ya, he married a supermodel, then a few days later at 10 am was so drunk at an airport that security would not let him board his plane. Cool guy if you ask me.

Or a douchebag.

Cochise
05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
politics

Amen.

PunkinDrublic
05-01-2006, 04:40 PM
I can't believe clearchannel didn't make the list. They've managed to almost single handedly make radio bland for music.

Reaper16
05-01-2006, 05:36 PM
I can't believe clearchannel didn't make the list. They've managed to almost single handedly make radio bland for music.
rep

Nightwish
05-01-2006, 08:45 PM
and even Def Leppard (who later went pop/hard rock).
If I had to choose the number one worst thing to happen to music, that would probably be it. On Through the Night, High & Dry and Pyromania were seriously kick-ass metal albums (okay, maybe not "metal" by any comparison to the stuff you and I tend to listen to, but metal for that time). Then they came out with Hysteria (which admittedly, had a couple good songs - "Gods of War" and "Don't Shoot Shotgun" come to mind) and started a downhill slide that they never pulled out of. Now they're on tour doing a double-headliner with Journey (who I also liked back in the day, but who I'd never expect to see on the same stage as Def Leppard). Egads, did the Lep ever go soft!

KcMizzou
05-02-2006, 12:35 PM
If I had to choose the number one worst thing to happen to music, that would probably be it. On Through the Night, High & Dry and Pyromania were seriously kick-ass metal albums (okay, maybe not "metal" by any comparison to the stuff you and I tend to listen to, but metal for that time). Then they came out with Hysteria (which admittedly, had a couple good songs - "Gods of War" and "Don't Shoot Shotgun" come to mind) and started a downhill slide that they never pulled out of. Now they're on tour doing a double-headliner with Journey (who I also liked back in the day, but who I'd never expect to see on the same stage as Def Leppard). Egads, did the Lep ever go soft!"Do ya wanna get rooooocked?"

:shake:

I loved Hysteria though. Played it to death.

ChiefFripp
05-02-2006, 12:45 PM
I always hated Def Leppard, they were just the gateway band to hair-metal . I do like one of their songs but I can't think of what it is.

DJJasonp
05-02-2006, 12:57 PM
#1 Kids Today!

Back in our day, we didn't have any of yer fancy iPods and ringtones and downloads. We didn't have the luxury and convenience of your scrotum-rings and your World Wide Web logs. When we wanted to steal the new URIAH HEEP album, we couldn't just troll the Internet for it, we had to do it the old-fashioned way -- by hiking to the store (uphill, both ways) and shoving 12" of vinyl under our sweaters (which we had to knit ourselves). That's why you sniveling whipper-snappers don't appreciate the real value of music. Or Uriah Heep. Now get the hell off our lawn!

Well, that brought back memories. When I was a kid growing up in KC, I used to go to Tiger's Records and browse through the record racks. You couldn't listen to them. You had to go with your gut feeling if something looked appealing to you.

Today, the kids (and everyone) have it made. We can listen to music before we buy it. This is good for bands who otherwise may not get a listen, but also bad because too many peeps listen to a couple of songs and then decide they don't like it. But, more importantly you get to discover all kinds of music. When MTV first came out- it was good for that very thing, but then it quickly became a shitty format for anything good.

We now have Satellite radio and streaming music everywhere. You can go on the web and read reviews and listen to music at any time. And should you only like one freakin' song on the album, Amen, you only have to purchase that one song instead of all the other crap on the album.

The writer/s is/are an idiot. Dumb list.

You make some good points - and I as well remember browsing the local Peaches record store on Metcalf to figure out what to take a chance on....

But somewhere along the line since then, albums come out with approximately 1.5 decent songs on them.....so a big FU to the labels (and artists who let them) who put out albums full of crap.

Hence the invention of Napster and I-tunes makes sense. The artists make most of their money off of concert tours anyway.....so be it.

Besides a few U2 albums here and there....how many albums can you remember in the last 10 years that had 5 or more great songs on them????

ChiefFripp
05-02-2006, 02:07 PM
Besides a few U2 albums here and there....how many albums can you remember in the last 10 years that had 5 or more great songs on them????
Quite a few actually, but listing them all would be worthy of another thread. I do see your point though.

BWillie
05-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Metallica, I think they are the worst thing to happen to music..besides Nsync, but pretty damn close.

Nightwish
05-03-2006, 05:29 AM
LOL, that reminds me of the first time I heard of Poison. I was thumbing through the records at the store across from SMSU in Springfield. I forget the name of the store, but it was in the upstairs corner of the University Mall. Anyway, I saw Look What the Cat Dragged In. I thought they were women, for real! I was checking out some different girl bands, because a friend of mine had just joined an all-girl band, and I wanted to see what kinds of sounds girl bands were putting out those days. So I bought the album, thinking they were a girl band. Imagine my surprise (though the album did turn out to be pretty enjoyable).

Over-Head
05-06-2006, 10:05 AM
The worst thing to happen in music?
Grunge / Kurt Cobain
Destroyed a decade of music. :cuss:

ChiefFripp
05-06-2006, 11:24 AM
The worst thing to happen in music?
Grunge / Kurt Cobain
Destroyed a decade of music. :cuss:
I think the millions of people who suddenly realised that 80s cock rock sucked had more to do with it than Cobain. I mean there were literally thousands of those bands, the public can only take so much of David Coverdale and his ilk singing spread-eagle on the hood of a Jaguar.

Reaper16
05-06-2006, 12:04 PM
I think the millions of people who suddenly realised that 80s cock rock sucked had more to do with it than Cobain. I mean there were literally thousands of those bands, the public and only take so much of David Coverdale and his ilk singing spread-eagle on the hood of a Jaguar.
:clap:

Reaper16
05-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Metallica, I think they are the worst thing to happen to music..besides Nsync, but pretty damn close.
I will kill you and I will not even hesitate.

NewChief
05-06-2006, 12:08 PM
I think the millions of people who suddenly realised that 80s cock rock sucked had more to do with it than Cobain. I mean there were literally thousands of those bands, the public and only take so much of David Coverdale and his ilk singing spread-eagle on the hood of a Jaguar.

HERE I GO AGAIN ON MY OWN!!!!! :rockon:

:Lin:

Nightwish
05-06-2006, 04:00 PM
I think the millions of people who suddenly realised that 80s cock rock sucked had more to do with it than Cobain. I mean there were literally thousands of those bands, the public can only take so much of David Coverdale and his ilk singing spread-eagle on the hood of a Jaguar.
Puhleeze! As bad as the glam scene got, for every one of those thousands of depthless copycat bands, there are ten depthless copycat grunge and emo bands (I finally figured out what "emo" is, and I agree with everyone who has said it sucks) with a recording contract. Once you do the math, this means that as bad as the 80s glam scene was, the 90s grunge/emo scene is ten times worse on the suck-o-meter.

Archie F. Swin
05-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Electronic Keyboards.

Haven't you heard E.L.P.'s "Lucky Man"?

Reaper16
05-07-2006, 12:41 AM
Puhleeze! As bad as the glam scene got, for every one of those thousands of depthless copycat bands, there are ten depthless copycat grunge and emo bands (I finally figured out what "emo" is, and I agree with everyone who has said it sucks) with a recording contract. Once you do the math, this means that as bad as the 80s glam scene was, the 90s grunge/emo scene is ten times worse on the suck-o-meter.
No, besides, Grunge and Emo are very different. Emo is a punk subgenre, unlike Grunge.

KcMizzou
05-07-2006, 02:11 AM
I like some of each. GnR, Motley Crue, Tesla... Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden. All really good bands.

Demonpenz
05-07-2006, 11:31 AM
The worst thing by far was when ODB died.

Nightwish
05-07-2006, 03:20 PM
No, besides, Grunge and Emo are very different. Emo is a punk subgenre, unlike Grunge.Yeah, but in my opinion, the one is only marginally better than the other. I find them both to be remarkably insincere, for the most part. Posers going out pretending to be angry white boys when 90% don't really have anything to be angry about. What are they pissed about (other than the politics that piss everyone off), that they didn't get to party because their boss at McDonald's stuck 'em on a double shift? If anger and rage is the only emotional pose these bands can find for their music, then they are terribly one-dimensional. It's the same reason I dislike rap so much - one dimension, no depth.

Reaper16
05-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Yeah, but in my opinion, the one is only marginally better than the other. I find them both to be remarkably insincere, for the most part. Posers going out pretending to be angry white boys when 90% don't really have anything to be angry about. What are they pissed about (other than the politics that piss everyone off), that they didn't get to party because their boss at McDonald's stuck 'em on a double shift? If anger and rage is the only emotional pose these bands can find for their music, then they are terribly one-dimensional. It's the same reason I dislike rap so much - one dimension, no depth.
Valid, though hip hop has plenty of depth, sincerity, and lyrical merit if you know what artists to listen to.

Bowser
05-07-2006, 07:46 PM
I'll go with Blender's #2 pick with Suge Knight. He singlehandedly turned hip hop into a laughingstock, filled with unneccsessary deaths of extremely talented musicians. Allegedly.

KcMizzou
05-07-2006, 07:48 PM
I'll go with Blender's #2 pick with Suge Knight. He singlehandedly turned hip hop into a laughingstock, filled with unneccsessary deaths of extremely talented musicians. Allegedly."Musicians"? Now you've done it.

Bowser
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
"Musicians"? Now you've done it.

:D

Bowser
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM

I meant the "allegedly" to refer to the musicians.... :)

KcMizzou
05-07-2006, 07:51 PM
I meant the "allegedly" to refer to the musicians.... :)Ah, I see. Brilliant!

Reaper16
05-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Rest; go to your slumber for the night. But know that you will never wake up for the clench of my hands around your throat.