PDA

View Full Version : Summer Jobs

Pierce
04-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Well, I'm a junior in high school (17) and I'm looking for a summer job.

My sister (who is now in college) worked in food and told me that that was not the way to go.

I was thinking maybe a retail store.....but I don't wanna work commission.

Mowing lawns is good, but everyone and their mom does that.

What are some good summer jobs that pay weel enough to warrant the work?

luv
04-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Can you BS? There's always telemarketing.

Internship.

While you may not want to make a career out of it, fast food is good for teens. They are usually very flexible in their scheduling.

Grocery store.

Open up the paper. There are tons of jobs listed in there. Or look for help wanted signs. Let's face it. You're in high school. You're not going to get the cream of the crop when it comes to well paying jobs.

Sure-Oz
04-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Work at Hollister all the cool kids are doing it!

JBucc
04-22-2006, 04:30 PM
Sell drugs. There's lots of money to be made doing that.

Sully
04-22-2006, 04:30 PM
UPS Store isn't bad, if you can find one that's hiring.

Kinko's is nice, clean, and easy... but you may get some screwy hours. It's worth a shot.

DaKCMan AP
04-22-2006, 04:45 PM
become a lifeguard

SLAG
04-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Work at Hollister all the cool kids are doing it!

I had a great H.S. Job at DQ.. but what made the Job Great wasn't the work. It was the Perks and the People I worked with.

Other Good H.S. Jobs Include:

Drug Store (Wal-Green, CVS)/ Grocery, see if you cant Get a Job Babysitting ,

I forgot what else i was going to say :bong:

Miles
04-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Working on the maintence crew at a golf course was a great summer job when I was in high school.

DMAC
04-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Work at Auto Magic as a service advisor. It rocks. ...For a few days anyway.

Working at a podunk gas station was pretty fun too. If you happen to live in Springfield, go work at Bair's Grocery, fillin up propane tanks.

Skip Towne
04-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Thermonuclear Physicist

KCChiefsMan
04-22-2006, 05:06 PM
wal mart

Bowser
04-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Intern at Exxon.

banyon
04-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Royals are looking for some pitching help.

Smoke
04-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Find a hay hauling job. I hauled hay every summer when I was a youngster, it'll make a man out of ya..or one rough assed chick if your a girl.

ChiefsFire
04-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Find a hay hauling job. I hauled hay every summer when I was a youngster, it'll make a man out of ya..or one rough assed chick if your a girl.
eckkkkkk

thanks for bringin back bad memories..
120 degree heat at 10am,first time trying copenhagen,(word from the wise,dont take your first hit of cope and crawl up on ten rows of straw and not expect to get sick),bumble bees the size of footballs,sunburn that makes ur skin literally fall off.......my votes for DQ

Phobia
04-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Slayer Diablo is building an elevator to the moon. I would suggest that you drop him an email.

CoMoChief
04-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Work at Lake Jacomo Marina, I did that working through HS. It's a fun job and you are really only busy on the weekends. During the weekdays you dont do shit really. Two shifts: 7am-2pm or 1pm-8pm. All you do is drive around boats, chase geese, fill up gas, and eat all of the food in the store. It was fun, of course I worked with all of my friends so that made it even more fun. $7/hr isnt bad I guess for a HS student. If you live in the Jackson County area, you should try it out.

gblowfish
04-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Back in the stone age when I was a teenager, I threw the KC Star off a truck. Did that all during HS. Hard for the parents to slap a curfew on when you go to work at 3:30am! It's fun work if you have a good arm, and great exercise, run stairs in a lot of apartments dropping off papers. Not bad in summer because its cool early in the morning. Get home around 6am, sleep till around 10am then get up and start the day. Keeps you in good shape.

Other summer jobs I had were working in a hospital as a janitor (nasty, nasty work...medical waste, the infamous brown washcloth, echhh...), washed dishes in a steak house for two weeks. It burned to the ground the night before I was supposed to get my first paycheck. Best summer job was first two years of college, I was assembling combines for Allis-Chalmers in Independence. This was back in 1978-79. Made around $22 hour plus all the overtime I could handle. That was great money for those days. I could make enough in 3 months to pay for all my books and school stuff. That's back when we actually built stuff here in the USA. Combine plant is now vacant and graffiti covered, all the combines are built in Mexico. Very sad. Hard to find a summer job like that nowadays. Good luck!

KCChiefsFan88
04-22-2006, 06:14 PM
My first and worst summer job was when I was 15 I worked as a bag boy at Price Chopper in KC. We had to wear a shirt and tie and long pants (no shorts). That really sucks ass when you are hauling carts in from the parking lot in 100 degree heat.

Not to mention having to put up with all the old foggies who bitch and moan about every detail of how their groceries are bagged. And on top of all that we couldn't accept tips.

dj56dt58
04-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Telemarketing. I make a ton of money doing that..it's probably the best pay you will get in hs if your good at it.

Smoke
04-22-2006, 06:20 PM
eckkkkkk

thanks for bringin back bad memories..
120 degree heat at 10am,first time trying copenhagen,(word from the wise,dont take your first hit of cope and crawl up on ten rows of straw and not expect to get sick),bumble bees the size of footballs,sunburn that makes ur skin literally fall off.......my votes for DQ

Yeah, bees and yellow jackets are fun. I worked for my parents from 9 till 20 years old doing hay. I put togather a hay crew with two friends for a couple of years. 2nd year we hauled over 30,000 bales for the summer..which pretty much ended any wanting of the work from that point forward.

Young and tough, haul from 1 pm till 12 am or so then drink beer for a couple of hours and go to bed. Get up around 10 and have breakfast and do it all over again.

Good times, wish that kind of farming was still around and I was spry enough to do it.

Phobia
04-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I slung a good bit of hay. Never kept track though. I think I got paid $5 an hour or something like that.

ChiefFripp
04-22-2006, 06:31 PM
Pizza delivery guy. They can make decent tips believe it or not.

Skip Towne
04-22-2006, 06:32 PM
I slung a good bit of hay. Never kept track though. I think I got paid $5 an hour or something like that.
We got 6 cents per bale. The worst part was wearing a long sleeved shirt and gloves in that heat. The big bale put an end to all that fun.

Phobia
04-22-2006, 06:34 PM
We got 6 cents per bale.

We might have been paid by the bale as well, I don't recall for certain. I just remember it was better than minimum wage at the time.

JBucc
04-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Pizza delivery guy. They can make decent tips believe it or not.And if you drive a crappy car make sure you park it where they can see it so you can get some sympathy tips.

Chiefs Express
04-22-2006, 06:39 PM
We might have been paid by the bale as well, I don't recall for certain. I just remember it was better than minimum wage at the time.There could have been a trade off. Minimum wage for 40+ hours a week sure beat 20 days during the summer bailing. I bailed hay every chance I got but it wasn't steady enough to keep you going.

Bailing hay is a great workout though, makes you sleep good at night.

JBucc
04-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Maybe you could work at one of those auto part salvage yards. If you know anything about cars.

Baconeater
04-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Pizza delivery guy. They can make decent tips believe it or not.
You have to be 18 to do that, if memory serves me right. Not a bad gig for a kid though, I did it when I was 19 yrs old. I usually took home $20-40 each night in tips & commission, plus I got a paycheck every 2 weeks. I was never broke.

Pierce
04-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Hmmm...the UPS store sounds interesting

Wal-Mart would work I guess. I also applied at the country club here. I have a friend who makes good money + tips.

I interviewed with sears today.....they will pay $3.50 + commission. As I have no work experience, is that good?

Jenson71
04-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Every year, as the land thaws, the granite from glaciers forms, and as the combines and tractors work the land, the granite tears up the equipment. Farmers pay for kids to pick up those rocks. Throw em together at the end of the field. Just a huge pile. Fun.

Skip Towne
04-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Every year, as the land thaws, the granite from glaciers forms, and as the combines and tractors work the land, the granite tears up the equipment. Farmers pay for kids to pick up those rocks. Throw em together at the end of the field. Just a huge pile. Fun.
Would you rather do that, de-tassle or walk beans?

KCChiefsFan88
04-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Life guard not a bad idea. You get to watch over hotties in bikinis all day

Chiefs Express
04-22-2006, 08:39 PM

Wal-Mart would work I guess. I also applied at the country club here. I have a friend who makes good money + tips.

I interviewed with sears today.....they will pay $3.50 + commission. As I have no work experience, is that good?

Ah, yes....Caddy!

Oh, Caddy....I seem to have barfed into my bag. Would you clean it up for me? (Actually that was Steward from Mr. Roberts with Henry Fonda)

I can see many people lining up to Caddyshack you!

JBucc
04-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Life guard not a bad idea. You get to watch over hotties in bikinis all dayYeah but you have to save the fat chicks too or they fire you.

Phobia
04-22-2006, 08:40 PM
and fatties in bikinis and preadolecents. No thanks.

Chiefs Express
04-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Life guard not a bad idea. You get to watch over hotties in bikinis all day

All look and no touch, unless they are drowning and then if you cop a feel you might be drowned yourself!!

After you look at the hot bikinis you then go to the house and use the Aloe Vera to kill the sting of the burn on your tongue! Some say it tastes like $#!t.

Chiefs Express
04-22-2006, 08:42 PM
and fatties in bikinis and preadolecents. No thanks.

From what you've said in the past they are both your style!

Phobia
04-22-2006, 08:44 PM
From what you've said in the past they are both your style!

Good one. You're very funny and stuff.

Chiefs Express
04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Good one. You're very funny and stuff.

What you said.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-22-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm gonna be a lifeguard this summer. You have to pass a swimming test thingy before you can take the classes, though. You have to breast stroke 200m, then freestyle another 200m, then 100m of your choice of style of swimming. It's rough, but the easy job in the summer is worth it. You get paid to get a tan and meet chicks. Not necessarily the ones you look over, but the fellow lifeguards.

Chiefs Pantalones
04-22-2006, 10:01 PM
And if you ever have to save someone, you have the training to know what to do, but that hardly ever happens. You're really a disciplinarian in shorts. Tell the kids to stop running, yada yada.

Baconeater
04-22-2006, 10:18 PM
You have to breast stroke .
I'm in! :drool:

Sure-Oz
04-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Working at an ice cream place like custards or maggie moos is a way to get chicks too, since you're 17 heh.

DanT
04-23-2006, 12:01 AM
I worked as a food vendor at Royals Stadium and Arrowhead during high school and college. That was a great job back in the 1980s. You got paid about 19% commission or so on sales and it averaged out to much more per hour than other jobs for teenagers paid. Plus, you got to see a lot of the action at the games.

There aren't a lot of hours involved in the job, so it's possible to fit in a day job to go along with it.

Jenson71
04-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Would you rather do that, de-tassle or walk beans?

Detassle, definitely. Not much bending your back in that.

Count Alex's Losses
04-23-2006, 12:23 AM
The worst summer job I ever had was doing inventory at Foley's. It was only for a couple weeks. At the end they asked me if I wanted to stay on and I told them HELL NO!!!

luv
04-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Movie theater. I had a few friends that did that in high school, and they loved it.

patteeu
04-23-2006, 08:05 AM
All look and no touch, unless they are drowning and then if you cop a feel you might be drowned yourself!!

Not necessarily. Lifeguard is a chick magnet type job. Your attractiveness rating goes up by two points when you sit in the lifeguard's chair.

Lifeguarding might not pay too well, but it's a great summer job for having fun. Oceans of Fun lifeguards probably work a little harder and might make a little more money (than a public pool lifeguard), but there are also a ton of girl lifeguards that you'd be working with. Country Club lifeguarding is usually pretty laid back because everyone who goes to those pools can usually swim. If saving lives is your thing, you should lifeguard in the inner city public pools or at Oceans of Fun.

patteeu
04-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Movie theater. I had a few friends that did that in high school, and they loved it.

That would be a good one too, in terms of fun summer jobs.

MahiMike
04-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Maybe you can help out at the new strip club this group is forming?

Dunit35
04-23-2006, 10:42 AM
I usually haul hay once or twice a summer for about two hours. I get paid really well for it too. I get paid 50 dollars each time.

But this coming summer and last I worked at a taco/pizza restuarant. I make $7 an hour and am one of the top dogs there.

luv
04-23-2006, 11:00 AM
That would be a good one too, in terms of fun summer jobs.
They got to see a lot of movies for free.

Skip Towne
04-23-2006, 11:02 AM
I usually haul hay once or twice a summer for about two hours. I get paid really well for it too. I get paid 50 dollars each time.

But this coming summer and last I worked at a taco/pizza restuarant. I make $7 an hour and am one of the top dogs there.
How much do the bottom dogs make?

Nzoner
04-23-2006, 11:08 AM

Having been in sales for 25+ years now I say go for it if you really enjoy people.Personally,sales can be a very rewarding career and the experience you'll get working there for a Summer will definitely help later on.

On top of that retail sales at Sears includes air conditioning,staying clean and having the people come to you for a product(in other words you're not out going door to door on cold calls.)

Dunit35
04-23-2006, 11:11 AM
How much do the bottom dogs make?

lol, $5.15. Sad I know. But it's a fun and easy job. Cable in the back and free food whenever I want.

luv
04-23-2006, 11:11 AM
lol, $5.15. Sad I know. But it's a fun and easy job. Cable in the back and free food whenever I want.
Is minimum wage still $5.15?

Dunit35
04-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Is minimum wage still $5.15?

hmmm....I have no idea. If it's $5.25 now then that's what they're making.

Pierce
04-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Hmm...movie theater sounds interesting, but won't the hours be late and crappy for that job?

Dunit35
04-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Hmm...movie theater sounds interesting, but won't the hours be late and crappy for that job?

The hours would be late except for the Sunday matinee type stuff. But you probably get to watch movies for free.

KChiefsQT
04-23-2006, 12:26 PM

:eek: whats min wage?

KChiefsQT
04-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Ohh.. and I would always find a nanny job for the summer, if you have experience and cpr/first aid training and meet up with some rich folks you pull in some major bank. There are a lot of families out there that have kids with no means of supervision during the summer. If you like kids, give it a whirl.

Nzoner
04-23-2006, 12:35 PM
:eek: whats min wage?

That doesn't matter in sales,if you're good at what you do you'll far exceed any minimum wage.

Dunit35
04-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Ohh.. and I would always find a nanny job for the summer, if you have experience and cpr/first aid training and meet up with some rich folks you pull in some major bank. There are a lot of families out there that have kids with no means of supervision during the summer. If you like kids, give it a whirl.

There aint nothing like being a male nanny. That should bring up his self esteem some.

ChiefsFire
04-23-2006, 12:44 PM
hmmmm

you as a nanny...sure the dads didnt have a problem with that.. :)

worked tire shop one summer...nuttin like fixin tires for farmers in the middle of cattle country on a hot humid day

DanT
04-23-2006, 01:44 PM
That doesn't matter in sales,if you're good at what you do you'll far exceed any minimum wage.

Exactly.

luv
04-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Excuse to stay out past curfew.
Free movies.
I seriously doubt they would work you seven days a week, and they probably work in shifts for part-timers. I don't think they'd work you from 1PM to 12AM or later.
They're probably used to high turnover working with teenagers. And I'm sure they're used to hiring extra summer help, since I would imagine they're busier that time of year with kids out of school.