PDA

View Full Version : Bands you wanted to like but just couldn't...

ChiefFripp
04-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Sonic Youth.-They are punky, cerebral, arty , musical and dissonant all at once. I SHOULD like them by all means and I do respect them for their musical vision...but for some reason the only song I like of theirs is their commercial attempt The Diamond Sea.

Greatful Dead- Just don't get the appeal. I think I was forever put off of them because when I was 12 and a raging metalhead ,I thought they'd be another Iron Maiden because of their name and posters with skeletons and such...then I hear them and they sound like some hippie band with a happy vibe.

Nightwish
04-22-2006, 10:19 PM
Greatful Dead- Just don't get the appeal. I think I was forever put off of them because when I was 12 and a raging metalhead ,I thought they'd be another Iron Maiden because of their name and posters with skeletons and such...then I hear them and they sound like some hippie band with a happy vibe.
LOL, the Dead don't "sound like" some hippy band with a happy vibe. They are THE QUINTESSENTIAL hippy band with a happy vibe! That said, I personally can't stand 'em! But I would have to put them in that category of "bands I wanted to like but just couldn't," because I do have a lot of friends of follow them, and it would be nice to have that in common with them. But I can't get into them.

Other bands in that category:

Spock's Beard
Pain of Salvation

KC_John
04-22-2006, 10:29 PM
LEd Zepplin annoys me. Dont ask me why, they just do. I could never stand them. /shrug

ChiefFripp
04-22-2006, 10:32 PM
LEd Zepplin annoys me. Dont ask me why, they just do. I could never stand them. /shrug

WTF, you call yourself human!?

-JK

KcMizzou
04-22-2006, 10:48 PM
LEd Zepplin annoys me. Dont ask me why, they just do. I could never stand them. /shrugI feel the same way about Rush.

ChiefFripp
04-22-2006, 10:55 PM
I feel the same way about Rush.

I'll get the urge to play a few Rush tunes about once a year. Witchhunt, Sub Divisions and Dreamline are okay songs by them.

Reaper16
04-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Other bands in that category:

Pain of Salvation
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr <---------- a growl.

I could never get into Dream Theater. Which makes no sense. Genesis, too.

ChiefFripp
04-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr <---------- a growl.

I could never get into Dream Theater. Which makes no sense. Genesis, too.
I can't get into DT either. I still don't know any early Genesis but I hear The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Nursery Cryme are supposed to be great.

QuikSsurfer
04-23-2006, 12:01 AM
blind melon

luv
04-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Nirvana

Nightwish
04-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Nirvana
There's another one to add to my list. Although their unplugged album was fantastic, I just couldn't get into anything else they did.

patteeu
04-23-2006, 06:58 AM
The first one that comes to mind is Guns 'n' Roses. I like a few of their songs and all of my friends really liked them, but I could never get into them. And then Axl Rose had an incident with the crowd at a St. Louis concert (I can't even remember what it was) and it turned me even more off of the band than I'd been before.

For a while, Bruce Springstein would have been in this category, but his music eventually grew on me (even his older stuff).

JBucc
04-23-2006, 07:46 AM
I feel the same way about Rush.Same here. I never really listened to them at all until I came on here and everyone busted a nut at the mere mention of Rush so I figured they were good and tried to like them but it just didn't happen.

Nzoner
04-23-2006, 08:57 AM
I still don't know any early Genesis but I hear The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Nursery Crime are supposed to be great.

I'd suggest the song Musical Box from Nursery Cryme for starters.

CosmicPal
04-23-2006, 10:12 AM

LOL. The Grateful Dead sounds like one of the worst bands ever when you don't "get them" and it's perfectly OK that you don't. I have to laugh, because I found the "skulls and roses" appealing when I was a kid too, but when I listened to the records- I was rather disappointed at first.

I kept the albums though simply because I loved to explore every kind of musical boundary and the more I listened to them, the more I began to see their infinite musical influences. But, still- I was more interested in listening to other music, and only picked up the Dead when I was bored. It was until years later, in my mid-20's when I was listening to a live album by the Dead when something took over me and I "got it"

I've been blessed ever since. Because once I did "get it" my interest in music and the world around me was profound.

Here's the interesting thing- once you "get" the Dead you discover their songs have a magical balance between light and dark. That is the secret. If you listen to their lyrics- they locate that unique balance between good and evil, dark and light, and heaven and hell.

I don't blame anyone for not liking the Dead. To me, it's like trying to understand a complicated physics problem- if you don't understand it- you hate it and it all looks like crap on the board. But, once you figure out the physics problem- You're overjoyed and seek to discover everything else. Everything then becomes beautiful

But, for me- the band has always been ahem- quite a shocker here - Eric Clapton. I just didn't get into that bluesy stuff, and I never cared for his voice.

luv
04-23-2006, 10:23 AM
LOL. The Grateful Dead sounds like one of the worst bands ever when you don't "get them" and it's perfectly OK that you don't. I have to laugh, because I found the "skulls and roses" appealing when I was a kid too, but when I listened to the records- I was rather disappointed at first.

I kept the albums though simply because I loved to explore every kind of musical boundary and the more I listened to them, the more I began to see their infinite musical influences. But, still- I was more interested in listening to other music, and only picked up the Dead when I was bored. It was until years later, in my mid-20's when I was listening to a live album by the Dead when something took over me and I "got it"

I've been blessed ever since. Because once I did "get it" my interest in music and the world around me was profound.

Here's the interesting thing- once you "get" the Dead you discover their songs have a magical balance between light and dark. That is the secret. If you listen to their lyrics- they locate that unique balance between good and evil, dark and light, and heaven and hell.

I don't blame anyone for not liking the Dead. To me, it's like trying to understand a complicated physics problem- if you don't understand it- you hate it and it all looks like crap on the board. But, once you figure out the physics problem- You're overjoyed and seek to discover everything else. Everything then becomes beautiful

But, for me- the band has always been ahem- quite a shocker here - Eric Clapton. I just didn't get into that bluesy stuff, and I never cared for his voice.
Didn't they also have those colorful little bears?

ChiefFripp
04-23-2006, 10:23 AM

I don't know if the problem is that I don't "get" or "understand" The Greatful Dead, I just haven't heard a song that appealed to me yet. I do like alot of improv music and "jam bands" as well, so it's kind of odd.

I think you had to grow up in that era to appreciate Eric Clapton. I never thought he was anything special, even as far as electric blues/rock players go.

CosmicPal
04-23-2006, 11:09 AM
I don't know if the problem is that I don't "get" or "understand" The Greatful Dead, I just haven't heard a song that appealed to me yet. I do like alot of improv music and "jam bands" as well, so it's kind of odd.

You haven't given it a chance. The problem with the Grateful Dead isn't so much the music or the "vibes"; it's the stigma attached to the band. People associate the Grateful Dead fan base as nothing but a bunch of tofu-consuming, colorful hippies parading around in clown outfits and spinning in a circle. Although, some do just as I described above because it is after all- a ritual community- most however, are regular people driving SUV's, earning Master's degrees, playing golf, studying animals in the wild, and raising healthy and happy families in the suburbs.

The same can be said for the band, Kiss. When I was a boy, my parents despised the fact that I took an interest to Kiss. My uninformed parents associated the make-up, the fire-breathing and blood-spitting bass player, all the explosions on stage, and the loud elementary music to be precursor to drugs, alchohol abuse, and promiscuity. The fact is, despite the band member's admission to sexual enlightenment with scores of groupies- the band doesn't drink or do drugs or anything evil other than their sexual escapades.

The reason you like the other jam bands is because Phish includes modern elements into their music. They don't incorporate the country-western, bluegrass element into their improvisational music. The same can be nearly said for Widespread Panic.

The Dead's music however has musical role conventions that include accomplishing and pushing structure, intense musical interaction, musical play, melody, counterpoint, rhythm, symbolic interaction, flow, and energy- which is essentially beget by the feel from their audience.

Once you hear the music, you hear the words- and it all takes on a different spiritual level most of us never accomplish.

But, the fact is- too many people consider fans of the Dead to be a deviant subculture when it fact it is nothing more than a misrepresented label.

Molitoth
04-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Goodpost COsmicPal

tk13
04-23-2006, 11:32 PM
I can't get into DT either. I still don't know any early Genesis but I hear The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Nursery Cryme are supposed to be great.
Depends on who you ask. That's what I love about Genesis. You ask 10 different fans what the best stuff is and you're likely to get about 10 different answers. They saw themselves as songwriters and not any real "genre" of band, so even from album to album things sound different. The biggest split is between those who like Peter Gabriel's era and Phil Collins' era but even between that you'll find differences of opinion.

Like for instance, me, both those albums you mentioned are great, but of the 70's albums I would probably rank "Selling England by the Pound" and "Trick of the Tail" ahead of them. But that's just me. The Musical Box on N. Cryme is a great song though. I've been listening to the Lamb more lately... a lot of fans would probably say that's the best album, I love some parts of it, others I don't, it's such a heavy long piece of music it's hard to digest. But I'm different than a lot of fans, most seem to choose sides between Phil and Peter, I like it all the way through the end.

siberian khatru
04-24-2006, 06:23 AM
The Rolling Stones.

I appreciate their brilliance, but their music just never (pardon the pun) struck a chord in me. Didn't hit me on an emotional level.

OTOH, their contemporaries The Who did. I'm a big Who fan. So I always pimp them as being the best rock band in history. But I understand where Stones fans are coming from. I'm just not there with them.

siberian khatru
04-24-2006, 06:28 AM
SK's fav Genesis studio* albums:

1. Lamb
2. Selling England
3. Trick of the Tail
4. Foxtrot
5. Nursery Cryme
6. Wind and Wuthering
7. Abacab
8. Duke
9. Trespass
10. Genesis (the "Mama" album)

* "Seconds Out" would be on the list if it were expanded to include live albums.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-24-2006, 06:44 AM
The Beatles- Yeah I know... but I just can't care anything about them. I only like Revolution.

Greatful Dead- What a shitty over-rated band.

Rush- WTF?

Led Zeppelin- Whatever... I like a few songs. When the Levee Breaks, Going To California... I know there's another somewhere.

Pink Floyd- It's not that I don't like them at all... I just think they're way over-rated.

AC/DC- One song at any time is fine... and enough for another month or so.

Rolling Stones- at least they gave us Start Me Up so we'd have something to play during kickoffs.

Eleazar
04-24-2006, 06:44 AM
I never could get into the Dead either. I tried, bought a record and all... but I never saw what the fuss was about.

Eleazar
04-24-2006, 06:46 AM
AC/DC- One song at any time is fine... and enough for another month or so.

I don't understand them either. To me it all sounds the same. The singer's voice grates on you too.

jspchief
04-24-2006, 06:47 AM
I guess I'd have to say U2. I'm not sure that I really ever wanted to like them, but I kept thinking I must just be missing something. After several albums and serious attempts to listen to them, I realized that I just don't like them. At all.

As for the Grateful Dead, like others I was attracted to them by their art. But my first experience listening to them was disappointing. All the same, I went to a concert (because friends were going). After experiencing them in concert, something clicked. They were never a band that I listened to non-stop, but they are definately an integral part of my music collection now. When the itch hits, nothing scratches like some good Dead.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-24-2006, 06:51 AM
I guess I'd have to say U2. I'm not sure that I really ever wanted to like them, but I kept thinking I must just be missing something. After several albums and serious attempts to listen to them, I realized that I just don't like them. At all.

As for the Grateful Dead, like others I was attracted to them by their art. But my first experience listening to them was disappointing. All the same, I went to a concert (because friends were going). After experiencing them in concert, something clicked. They were never a band that I listened to non-stop, but they are definately an integral part of my music collection now. When the itch hits, nothing scratches like some good Dead.
U2 and KISS are my favorite bands. Oh well... to each his own.

:)

jspchief
04-24-2006, 06:59 AM
U2 and KISS are my favorite bands. Oh well... to each his own.

:)Funny that you mention KISS. I was a big fan, but hated their post-makeup stuff (lick it up, etc)

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-24-2006, 07:13 AM
Funny that you mention KISS. I was a big fan, but hated their post-makeup stuff (lick it up, etc)
I actually thought the post makeup music was better for the most part. Better lyrics, more complicated arrangements (except for Lick It Up, the simplest song ever), just generally more interesting. Of course I'm mostly talking about the album cuts, not the singles.

Huh.

Archie F. Swin
04-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Grateful Dead

StcChief
04-24-2006, 07:40 AM
KISS, AC/DC really most 80s metal bands.
alot of over-rated players, trying to cash in on anything, despite lack of talent.

Reaper16
04-24-2006, 08:28 AM
I actually thought the post makeup music was better for the most part. Better lyrics, more complicated arrangements (except for Lick It Up, the simplest song ever), just generally more interesting. Of course I'm mostly talking about the album cuts, not the singles.

Huh.
No way is Lick It Up the simplest song ever. Crazy Nights is.

"These are crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy nights!" x176

Reaper16
04-24-2006, 08:29 AM
really most 80s metal bands.
alot of over-rated players, trying to cash in on anything, despite lack of talent.
Name them now, or suffer redicule.

QuikSsurfer
04-24-2006, 10:13 AM
lol

Baby Lee
04-24-2006, 10:53 AM
I'd have to agree with the Stones. Not so much that I DON'T like them, as I can't bring my self to adore them as I feel I should.
Rather listen to Beatles, Zep, Floyd, AND The Who any day. Just can't bring myself to get passionate about them, though single songs are very good.

StcChief
04-24-2006, 10:55 AM

ok. let's go... this is an abridged list....

take your pick...http://80music.about.com/od/80sartistsfromaz/

AC/DC
A flock of seagulls

Beastie boys
Bananarama

Culture Club

Def Lepperd

Fun Boy Three

Debbie Gibson

Husker Du

Cindy Lauper
Lowlife

George Micheal
Martha and the Muffins

Oingo Boingo
The Opposition

Poison,
Psychodelic Furs
Pet Shop Boys

RATT

Skiny Puppy

Wall of Voodoo.

X-Ray Spex

Young Marble Giants

plenty more on there for you to find.

Reaper16
04-24-2006, 11:13 AM
I'd have to agree with the Stones. Not so much that I DON'T like them, as I can't bring my self to adore them as I feel I should.
Rather listen to Beatles, Zep, Floyd, AND The Who any day. Just can't bring myself to get passionate about them, though single songs are very good.
I'm in complete agreeance on this point.

Reaper16
04-24-2006, 11:17 AM
ok. let's go... this is an abridged list....

take your pick...http://80music.about.com/od/80sartistsfromaz/

plenty more on there for you to find.

Dude, you named, at most, three 80's metal bands. AC/DC is heavy metal in some people's books, early RATT and early Def Leppard were heavy metal. (NWOBHM for Def)

ChiefFripp
04-24-2006, 01:06 PM
I love the album 'Sticky Fingers' by The Rolling Stones and a handful of other songs like 'Gimme Shelter', 'Paint It Black' and Sympathy for the Devil' ,but other that album and those songs ,I'm not a huge fan.

Chiefnj
04-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Grateful Dead, The Beatles, Dave Matthews.

Nightwish
04-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Dude, you named, at most, three 80's metal bands. AC/DC is heavy metal in some people's books, early RATT and early Def Leppard were heavy metal. (NWOBHM for Def)
And Ratt, while their music might have been somewhat overrated, their musicians were not! If anything, that band was chock full of seriously underrated musicians. Warren DeMartini was an incredible guitarist, but he never got the chance to showcase his abilities with Ratt. Likewise with Juan Croucier on bass; and Bobby Blotzer could hold his own against most of the more respected drummers in the biz. The only members that weren't underrated, in my opinion, were Robin Crosby and Steven (or is it Stephen?) Pearcy.

StcChief
04-24-2006, 01:41 PM
In general the 80s were bad generation for music...always exceptions.

Some metal didn't show on list...I was listing the obviouis 'bad bands' in
general in the 80s as well. 10 years of suffering thru over played bad music.

Reaper16
04-24-2006, 02:07 PM

I agree, but I want to know those 80's metal bands you casually mentioned. Of course, if you're talking about the "hair bands," which didn't play metal, rather metal and pop influenced hard rock, then you need not mention them.

Reaper16
04-24-2006, 02:07 PM
And Ratt, while their music might have been somewhat overrated, their musicians were not! If anything, that band was chock full of seriously underrated musicians. Warren DeMartini was an incredible guitarist, but he never got the chance to showcase his abilities with Ratt. Likewise with Juan Croucier on bass; and Bobby Blotzer could hold his own against most of the more respected drummers in the biz. The only members that weren't underrated, in my opinion, were Robin Crosby and Steven (or is it Stephen?) Pearcy.
Yes.

StcChief
04-24-2006, 02:13 PM
I agree, but I want to know those 80's metal bands you casually mentioned. Of course, if you're talking about the "hair bands," which didn't play metal, rather metal and pop influenced hard rock, then you need not mention them.

I lumped 'the hair bands' in with the rest of the bad 80s.

Nightwish
04-24-2006, 02:29 PM

It's not that the 80s was a bad generation for music. There was some really bad stuff, and some really good stuff. The problem with the 80s, 90s and 00s is that the radio stations tend to promote the worst stuff out there, while ignoring the better stuff. The best music of the 80s mostly wasn't played on the radio, so if most of your exposure to music was based on what the DJs were playing, you wouldn't have heard it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-24-2006, 02:45 PM
No way is Lick It Up the simplest song ever. Crazy Nights is.

"These are crazy, crazy, crazy, crazy nights!" x176
Crazy Nights at least has chord changes. Lick It up, not so much. I don't care though, I like 'em both. The other stuff on both of those albums is much better as a whole though.

Reaper16
04-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Crazy Nights at least has chord changes.
ROFL

StcChief
04-24-2006, 03:19 PM
It's not that the 80s was a bad generation for music. There was some really bad stuff, and some really good stuff. The problem with the 80s, 90s and 00s is that the radio stations tend to promote the worst stuff out there, while ignoring the better stuff. The best music of the 80s mostly wasn't played on the radio, so if most of your exposure to music was based on what the DJs were playing, you wouldn't have heard it.
The stuff I heard was hear and there, MTV, parties, etc. not really commercial pop stuff....

There may have been some good music here and there. In general most was bad and has been for a long time. Part of this is commercialization,
record companies pushing their pet projects, new sound direction.
Most rock has been done...for quite a while by the first original folks doing it. occasionally a variation of talented new direction music will appear, likely to be swept under as 'don't want to chance this project'
Killing innovation. Until the internet and all came along to stop this to some degree.

Music was controlled by bad money grubbers to sell some crap to the dumb teens that are buying anything new that the could call 'my music' tough sh1t to their parents.
The record labels just overexpose it. Hence bad hair bands, bad Metal, bad pop, later RAP....was what was left....

Kraut
04-25-2006, 08:20 AM
I feel the same way about Rush.
I feel the same way about Rush. Also I can't for the life of me like Dave Mathews.

Reaper16
04-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Oh, and Manticora, too. By all accounts, I should really dig them. I think it's because I hate thier vocalist.

Baby Lee
04-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Oh, and Manticora, too.
If for nothing else, for the job he did on Roy's jugular vein. ROFL

jlscorpio
04-25-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm more into stoner rock now (though i'm not actually a stoner), when I was a hardcore metalhead, I wanted to like Meshuggah. I just never latched onto it. I've heard them described as "Math Metal". I'd agree with that. Too technical for me then, and WAAAAY too technical for me now. Not dissin them, just not my thing.

"Bob" Dobbs
04-25-2006, 03:34 PM
I've NEVER understood the appeal of R.E.M., personally.

Reaper16
04-25-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm more into stoner rock now (though i'm not actually a stoner), when I was a hardcore metalhead, I wanted to like Meshuggah. I just never latched onto it. I've heard them described as "Math Metal". I'd agree with that. Too technical for me then, and WAAAAY too technical for me now. Not dissin them, just not my thing.
I don't like Meshuggah either. They do a lot of interesting technical things, yet manage to sound the same every time.

PunkinDrublic
04-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Not so much music that I try to like but music I try to tolerate. ****ing jam bands drive me up the ****ing wall. Every Monday night I go over to a buddys house for poker night and his roomates are cool enough guys except for the fact that they play nothing but String Cheese incedent, widespread panic, phish and various other jam bands that get irratating real quick. I hate music with long insturmentals and drum solos. These guys go on long road trips to watch these bands. They're exactly like the hippies on that episode of south park where the hippies infest the town.

patteeu
04-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Over the last few days, I've been trying to get into Tool, but it hasn't worked yet.

HC_Chief
04-25-2006, 05:45 PM
KISS

The whole show thing is pretty cool, but the music sucks ass IMO.

Frosty
04-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Beatles and Stones (more of a Who and Kinks fan for that era)
Van Halen
post-drugs Aerosmith
post-Bon Scott AC/DC
post-Permanent Waves Rush
Smashing Pumpkins
Nine Inch Nails
pretty much any blues-based music
instrumental heavy metal guitarists

Some of these are dated, but I had friends at the time who were really into them and I just couldn't get into them.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Not so much music that I try to like but music I try to tolerate. ****ing jam bands drive me up the ****ing wall. Every Monday night I go over to a buddys house for poker night and his roomates are cool enough guys except for the fact that they play nothing but String Cheese incedent, widespread panic, phish and various other jam bands that get irratating real quick. I hate music with long insturmentals and drum solos. These guys go on long road trips to watch these bands. They're exactly like the hippies on that episode of south park where the hippies infest the town.
ROFL

For me, damn near every pop FM radio hit thats come out since 90'.