PDA

View Full Version : The raiders targeting Vince Young

mac58
04-23-2006, 02:57 PM
i hate these scumbags

ESPN the INSIDER - RAIDERS targeting Young!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As expected, the Saints continue to leak rumors of their interest in USC's Matt Leinert following their private session with the quarterback on Wednesday. This is nothing more than a ploy to generate increased trade interest from teams legitimately coveting Leinert.

The Raiders reportedly have serious interest in making a deal for the Saints' No 2 overall selection, but Oakland is hoping to land Texas quarterback Vince Young, not Leinert. The Raiders might be falling for the Titans' publicizing that they prefer Young over Leinert at the No. 3 pick, which is also a smokescreen.

Raiders owner Al Davis is said to believe Young is a franchise-changing playmaker. Much like how Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi orchestrated the trade for Eli Manning in 2004, Davis apparently feels his window of opportunity is fleeting and sees Young as the type of difference maker to lead his beloved Raiders to a final Super Bowl run under his watch.

According to the commonly used Trade Value Chart, such a deal would require the Raiders to part ways with their picks in each of the first three rounds {no's 7, 38, 69} and likely a second or third round pick in next year's draft.

While that is a lot to give up for a player who many consider to be a developmental project, the Raiders apparently feel they can bring Young along slowly as a rookie by using him in certain situations as a backup to recently signed QB Aaron Brooks.

The team also must feel it's young offensive line will be strong enough to adequately protect the investment, and wide recievers Randy Moss and Jerry Porter possess the size, speed and playmaking potential to maximize Young's scrambling ability and mask some of his weaknesses in passing efficiency.

cdcox
04-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Please let this be true.

Ugly Duck
04-23-2006, 03:11 PM
This much I know..... Al Davis is the godfather of the organization. If anything is being leaked from the org, its a smokescreen to obscure what is really going on. If you hear a rumor about what the godfather wants to do, expect anything but that to happen.

Der Flöprer
04-23-2006, 03:11 PM
He'd be a perfect fit. He'd probably have the 2nd highest score on the team for the wonderlic test.

Halfcan
04-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Please let this be true.

Faders are sooo Stoopid, if they do this.

banyon
04-23-2006, 03:39 PM
I didn't know Vince Young had a criminal record.

ChiefFripp
04-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Imagine being the unlucky bastard that gets picked by a team like the cellar dwelling Raiderettes. Man I hope they make him rich atleast because he sure isn't going to be seeing any playoff action.

CoMoChief
04-23-2006, 03:43 PM
I dont guys, this may not be good (in the future that is). Young wont be good for a few seasons IMO, but after that or at least when he gets some experience in him at the NFL level, the guy could be the next Vick or McNabb. He can throw better than both of them already pretty much. I dont think we want to try and prepare our shitty ass defense for a QB like Young twice a season. I would much rather them take Cutler or Leinart.

mac58
04-23-2006, 03:45 PM
I dont guys, this may not be good (in the future that is). Young wont be good for a few seasons IMO, but after that or at least when he gets some experience in him at the NFL level, the guy could be the next Vick or McNabb. He can throw better than both of them already pretty much. I dont think we want to try and prepare our shitty ass defense for a QB like Young twice a season. I would much rather them take Cutler or Leinart.

i agree. . . i hope this dont happen

ChiefsCountry
04-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Good, he fits in well.

CupidStunt
04-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Unlucky for them that he's going to Tennessee.

FAX
04-23-2006, 03:55 PM
The restaurant rumors in Nashville are that the Titans are going after Young. Everyone seems to think that they like him for some reason.

This raises a question in my mind, though. How good do you guys think the black skank gang will be this year?

FAX

Crush
04-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Vince Young is like the crappy sequel to a pretty good, but not great movie.

CupidStunt
04-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Vince Young is like the crappy sequel to a pretty good, but not great movie.

If i'm understanding you correctly --

(1) Michael Vick was a rare prospect. Hindsight hurts our ability to appreciate that.

(2) Young is thought to be, by many, as good as Vick was coming out, bceause of his demonstrated passing ability.

Demonpenz
04-23-2006, 04:32 PM
that is going to be scary weapons moss and young. They are going to light up the chiefs slow defence.

JBucc
04-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Let's hope he can't bootleg

chiefsfaninNC
04-23-2006, 04:43 PM
that is going to be scary weapons moss and young. They are going to light up the chiefs slow defense.

ANY defense. This guys' running ablility would be extremely dangerous with Moss and Porter down the field. Your only option defensively would be to force him to beat you throwing the ball. He throws better than Vick.

htismaqe
04-23-2006, 04:44 PM

Um, he's not just gonna develop just because he ages or something.

In order for him to become "good in a few seasons", the team that drafts him is going to have to DEVELOP HIM.

I couldn't think of a better thing for the Raiders to do that trade away the entire 1st day of the draft for a guy that will never develop under their tutelage...

CupidStunt
04-23-2006, 05:04 PM
that is going to be scary weapons moss and young. They are going to light up the chiefs slow defense.

That's what everyone said about Kerry Collins. "Big arm, he'll just yolk it up to Moss every play".

How's that working out?

40 points in two games? All I heard last offseason was that the Raiders would average 40 ppg against the Chiefs.

The Raiders need a QB - they don't have one, and a rookie Vince Young would not count as one. This isn't the Big XII.

They also need an OL, and as of right now, do not have one.

jspchief
04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
I really don't give a rip who they have at QB. They still have one of the worst defenses in the league.

alanm
04-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Oakland would have to exclusively run the shotgun. Vince Young can't play QB under center. Nor has the ability to read defenses. I'm all for Oakland wasting a pick. :thumb:

mikey23545
04-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Young will be similar to Slash, but not as good... he'll probably only be in the league for two or three years....

buddha
04-24-2006, 04:58 PM
He throws better than Vick.

He does??? Since when?

Michael Vick has a rocket for an arm. He's not a disciplined passer by any stretch, but he has a great arm. Young's release point is still a problem and he is used to pulling the ball down any time he feels pressure. It worked at UT, it won't work in the NFL.

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Imagine being the unlucky bastard that gets picked by a team like the cellar dwelling Raiderettes. Man I hope they make him rich atleast because he sure isn't going to be seeing any playoff action.

I wouldn't wish this on Vince he seems like a geniunely nice guy

Dave Lane
04-25-2006, 01:07 AM
I didn't know Vince Young had a criminal record.

Thats why he's a developmental project for the faders.

Dave

Dave Lane
04-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Oakland would have to exclusively run the shotgun. Vince Young can't play QB under center. Nor has the ability to read defenses. I'm all for Oakland wasting a pick. :thumb:

A bunch of picks. He's and idiot and his wonderlic confirms it. I pray the faders do this.

Dave

jspchief
04-25-2006, 07:25 AM
He does??? Since when?

Michael Vick has a rocket for an arm. He's not a disciplined passer by any stretch, but he has a great arm. Young's release point is still a problem and he is used to pulling the ball down any time he feels pressure. It worked at UT, it won't work in the NFL.Vick may have a rocket for an arm, but he has the accuracy of a blind man.

Young is a much better passer. Strong arm, good decision making, and accurate. His mechanics are jacked up, but his height will make up for that some (see Phillip Rivers).

Personally, I think he's got a chance to be a McNabb type QB if put in the right system. But I could see the Raiders ruining him. I also think the comparisons to Vick are pretty offbase. He's twice the passer, and not half the runner Vick was.